MMM
    X

Subscribe to New Ads!

Receive weekly ads in your inbox!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss IGP result here

Quote Originally Posted by youngpro View Post
    this competition is based on hwbot rules
    If it was, then your screenshot would've been disqualified, no?
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

PIfection

Xtreme Member
    hasnt it been like this for years at the top end?

this competition is based on hwbot rules, a quick glance over them would indicate nothing forbidden tweaks, this is a tweak that if done correctly will gain you a tiny bit on a low performance gpu...
    First line says to use default settings...care to explain how running it in a window is default?
    System 1 (mine):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 stable at 4.0 GHz cooled by Scythe Mugen 2000
    GPU: PowerColor HD5850 (950/1250 1.2V)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Memory: 6GB DDR3 GeiL @ 1528 MHz
    System 2 (gf's):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 currently at 4.2 GHz cooled by Noctua NH-D14 (needs more tweaking/testing)
    GPU: Club3D HD5850 (awaiting OC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Memory: 6GB DDR3 Corsair @ 1600 MHz

PIfection
    listen im not sure what this has to do with you at all but,

its still the default settings, default resolution, please read the hwbot rules and tell me if there is any conflict with them...

if i find optimizations that others dont, is this my problem?

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    .....this is a tweak that if done correctly will gain you a tiny bit on a low performance gpu...
    I think that the guys here AREN'T talking about a "tiny bit" gain BUT for 1000fps gain which is ~29% MORE....
    Does this seems to you a "tiny bit"?......

P.S. You mean by running 2k6 on this platform with a "window" as for 2k6, you could gain 1000marks more?....IF so, congrats.....
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

PIfection
    sure george, on a highly bottlenecked gpu like a 3300 or 4200 yes the gains are considerable,

on a 5870 or a 295 then its HIGHLY debatable if there is any gain at all, it looks to me to be just natural variance...

Wanna look under my kilt?
    If the shoe was on the other foot, would you carry the same opinion?

Personal opinion: situations like these taint the perception of the competition and lets be honest... the opinion of the bencher in question.

Do you work together with gentlemans agreements and discussion of right and wrong or do you basically try to **** each other over any way possible by bending rules?

Do you use this on a day-to-day basis for your HWB submissions?

Just because something is not explicitly wrong, doesnt make it right. I could help out at the scene of an accident for 5 minutes, then back off and take pictures and sell them to a newspaper. Not illegal..... but sure as hell not right.

Personal opinion....

This is not how "professional" benching should be.

Personal opinion.....

Most rounds of F1OC have had flaming and "bad conversation" as a result of the submissions. You are all ambassadors of this sport. Why is this only happening to such an extent NOW?

The good ol days: "forum post: I found XYZ... should it be classed legal?"

Now: "Thought: I found XYZ that might be classed illegal if its brought up. Lets keep it quiet and get the benefit while I can"
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    ...on a 5870 or a 295 then its HIGHLY debatable if there is any gain at all, it looks to me to be just natural variance...

Now guys, run 2k6 normal and run it in a "window" and tell us what you see....BE HONEST.....
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    This is not how "professional" benching should be.
    i dont think you can use this word just yet, the rules are not that "professional" yet. For real "professional", the rule maker has to know EVERYTHING about the benchmarks and state everything about a benchmark.
    so in other words - Rules has to be > the players.

And more so in a "professional" competition, anything not breaking the rules goes. There is not right/wrong in a "professional" tourney only break/no break rules. i mean you just look at competitive gaming, when you play FPS, people say spawn killing is not professional, you're supposed to let your opponent grab a weapon first - or spamming flak cannon is not professional - in tourneys it dont matter - whatever gets the job done.

I mean this in regards to the word of "professional" , just comparing this to other competitive games.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    I guess. I'd still like to think the the top flight of overclocking is tight enough to have some gentlemans agreements.

Idealist, I know
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Quote Originally Posted by LardArse View Post
    For real "professional", the rule maker has to know EVERYTHING about the benchmarks and state everything about a benchmark.
    If "knowing everything" is an essential criterium for allowing the usage of the word "professional", then no sport can be listed in the category "professional". The gentlemen's agreement exist to not have participants focus on the rules, but on the sport itself.

Xtreme Member
    listen im not sure what this has to do with you at all but,

its still the default settings, default resolution, please read the hwbot rules and tell me if there is any conflict with them...

if i find optimizations that others dont, is this my problem?
    What this has to do with me? What is that supposed to mean? I'm not allowed to talk because I'm no pro like you?

Default resolution yes but full screen is also part of the default settings and I got one line as proof.
    You have to change something to get it in a window.
    System 1 (mine):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 stable at 4.0 GHz cooled by Scythe Mugen 2000
    GPU: PowerColor HD5850 (950/1250 1.2V)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Memory: 6GB DDR3 GeiL @ 1528 MHz
    System 2 (gf's):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 currently at 4.2 GHz cooled by Noctua NH-D14 (needs more tweaking/testing)
    GPU: Club3D HD5850 (awaiting OC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Memory: 6GB DDR3 Corsair @ 1600 MHz

Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    If "knowing everything" is an essential criterium for allowing the usage of the word "professional", then no sport can be listed in the category "professional". The gentlemen's agreement exist to not have participants focus on the rules, but on the sport itself.
    yes that is right, no way for rule maker to know everything in this case , prolly even FM who made it doesnt know everything.
    Thus if entering a competition the players have to first trust the decision of the organiser and accept it , if they do not trust in the beginning then dont even join it. they can voice their opinions but they have to accept the fact the organiser/judge/referee makes the final decision.

This way you put all the responsibility with the organiser, judge or referee, whereas every individual is responsible for his or her actions. Allow everything unless it's disallowed leads to situations where blabant cheats have to be rewarded just because the rules don't explicitly say it's a cheat ... although this is much easier for the participants, is this the right way of doing anything?

I strongly believe that any individual is responsible for what he does. If this person uses a dirty trick(*) to win a competition, one that could be considered illegal by the peers, he is fully responsible for any problems caused. It would be all to easy to point to a book and state it's not mentioned so "i-did-not-know".

In addition, since the extreme overclocking community is in fact a very small one, where most people know the other one either by nickname or personal, is it really necessary to have a 110-page book of rules to keep within lines? I might be in the same boat as K404 here, but ...

(*): person != YoungPro and dirty trick != windowed mode. Just in general.

Xtreme Russian
    As for me it is not OK.
    Now we`ll face an amount of results in HWBot with this "tweak".

It is not a default settings - TBH "-nosysteminfo" also not default setting, but I personally use it cause there was no other way to start under Win7.

[QUOTE=massman;4139163]This way you put all the responsibility with the organiser, judge or referee, whereas every individual is responsible for his or her actions. Allow everything unless it's disallowed leads to situations where blabant cheats have to be rewarded just because the rules don't explicitly say it's a cheat ... although this is much easier for the participants, is this the right way of doing anything?
    [QUOTE]

the only possible way i think unfortunately, if this is contrasted in the exact way as the sports we see. i thought thats the way with sports, from my observation (i dont watch that much sports) for a far fetched example say a soccer player found a way to clamp the soccer ball in between his thighs and still can run a half field with it, i wonder what the referee would do
    Last edited by LardArse; 12-04-2009 at 05:54 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoForce View Post
    As for me it is not OK.
    Now we`ll face an amount of results in HWBot with this "tweak".

It is not a default settings - TBH "-nosysteminfo" also not default setting, but I personally use it cause there was no other way to start under Win7.
    06 runs fine under windows 7 without -nosysteminfo command.
    ***** Visit us on PCWorld.fr *****

I am Xtreme
    So has anyone confirmed it jields such a big gain on IGP ? How on earth did you figure that one out James ?

PIfection
    for this i read dx 9 whitepaper, find a way to force window mode without performance loss, existing ways out there gave a small performance loss

-_-
    for this i read dx 9 whitepaper, find a way to force window mode without performance loss, existing ways out there gave a small performance loss
    it might be considered "improper" of the tweak pro used(IDK, and I'm not involved) but I would just like to comment that it was a nice find never the less for what's it's worth. Interesting, that's all
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    I'll add my name to this elpida graveyard as soon I even think about running 32M. (yes, the thought is enough)

Champion
    Excuse me youngpro, i just want to ask you about the video... i saw you were running on air IGP.. ist it possible to run 1250mhz IGP on air? coz at the first page i saw dinos22 said you run with LN2 on IGP... which one is true?. But if you really running 1250mhz IGP on air... conggratz man

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by ekky View Post
    Excuse me youngpro, i just want to ask you about the video... i saw you were running on air IGP.. ist it possible to run 1250mhz IGP on air? coz at the first page i saw dinos22 said you run with LN2 on IGP... which one is true?. But if you really running 1250mhz IGP on air... conggratz man
    Um I think he just tossed that together and made the video to demonstrate how he got the result
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Um I think he just tossed that together and made the video to demonstrate how he got the result
    oohh..you meant this only "video demo" not "real run video"?
    and with this "tweak" could gain about 800pts more?
    Last edited by ekky; 12-04-2009 at 07:41 PM.

PIfection
    thats right ekky, after people ask why my advantage is so big and the pressure put on me, i decided to show what is going on with my benchmark...

no dahmer your entitled to ask whatever you want, i just dont specifically see how this discussion involves you, but ill try to accomodate your questioning none the less..

Xtreme Legend
    I thought for long time before decide to make this post. I feel myself little sad about how the community and Overclocking are becoming and transforming themselves.
    About James score what to say ? all of us in the first moment thought that he used a cheat, yes, be honest, all of us thought ( included me) about the crossfire trick, that (IMHO) is a cheat in this kind of contest.
    Than, James showed us that he had a nice tweak for the IGP benchmarking, this kind of windowed run. Default setting and resolution. So the rules are not broken.
    About the windowed tweak I dunno if it is really legit ( could be IMHO), because I dunno how it acts.
    Maybe James have to use a bat file to run the 06 windowed, so I dunno if run an application with a bat file is legit or not, because with a bat file, I think, is possible to change lot of other parameters.
    Probably if I change just the “widow thing” it is legit, and in this case I would to say to James “congratz. You are really a pro, you really put lot of effort in finding something special to bit the other people and sorry if I doubted about your score”.
    So, now, I think should be a nice move tell to anybody how you get the application run in windowed mode, just allow to anybody do test himself.
    But the point is different. In the past , James after the score, probably had showed the tweak himself, and had asked to discuss it and decide together if it is legit or not.
    Now it does not happen anymore, and I agree with Peter about that. It is becoming professional, and the only important thing is if it breaks or not the rules. And if the rules don’t tell anything about, well…. It is legit, even if it is not a “tweak” or a “trick” accepted in the community.
    All of us blamed to have a more professional system into overclocking, more sponsor, more interest by the media….this is what is going on. Is it better or worst compared to some years ago ? dunno.
    But, if all of us want something professional, something with money involved…… well, let’s forgot about to be gentlemen, or about friendship. It does not work like that and this is the fact that make me really sad ………
    Sorry for my bad english, I'm from italy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast