Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Amd Raises Price For The Hd5870

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Generic user #2 View Post
    come on guys...is $10 reallt that big of a deal? when you're spending several hundred on it already?
    the problem is brand new cards should go down in price after launch, not up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piotrsama View Post
    They overestimated TSMC's supply capabilities.
    and TSMC underestimated demand. unfortunately they increased capacity but yields were atrocious and went unnoticed so supply should increase in december.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    People keep talking about $10 more when I bought my Asus (late in the game) it was $379.99 compared to the $359.99 they started out at. This raise in price sucks and shows what happens when there's no competition.
    The little air system that could.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm just amused by the rationalization that takes place when AMD is the culprit

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I'm just amused by the rationalization that takes place when AMD is the culprit
    Yes there are double standards but AMD still have the underdog tag. Luckily they are not creaming the buyer at the moment like Nvidia did but if they continue to have inflated prices (compared to when Nvidia has competition), peoples perceptions will change.

Currently, we can give AMD a bit of leway as they need the money and they are market leaders but it wont take long for the consumer to turn. Like it did with Nvidia.

jsut look how nvidia went from hero (8800) to zero (everything after that) once they started renaming existing cards and not having a competivly prices card to ATI.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah true, memories get short once there's product on the table. And right now Nvidia's table is bare.

Quote Originally Posted by HousERaT View Post
    People keep talking about $10 more when I bought my Asus (late in the game) it was $379.99 compared to the $359.99 they started out at. This raise in price sucks and shows what happens when there's no competition.
    Huh? Launch price was $379 for the 5870. You must be mixing the "59" part from the 5850's launch price.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The only thing I find weird, is that people are worried about 10$.... If it was a 50$ raise, fine, I'd understand the worry. But for 10 miserable $, I don't see the point. Maybe it's just me though.
    i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz/Maximus IV Extreme
    2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866
    HD5870 1GB PCS+/OCZ Vertex 120GB +
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Corsair HX850/HAF 932/Acer GD235HZ
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Sennheiser PC-350 + Corsair SP2500

Xtreme Addict
    Why does everyone get upset? So AMD raises the price by $10, WE'RE THE CONSUMERS, DON'T BUY IT! Seriously, if it upsets anyone then don't spend your money. Just my 2 worthless cents...
    I've lost count the number of times I've entered a computer store and wouldn't spend my money because of price gouging.
    Last edited by freeloader; 11-28-2009 at 07:18 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad1723 View Post
    The only thing I find weird, is that people are worried about 10$.... If it was a 50$ raise, fine, I'd understand the worry. But for 10 miserable $, I don't see the point. Maybe it's just me though.
    It's amazing isn't it? We are talking about $10 but if you really want to know what they are doing they are splitting hairs. Remember, some who are complaining have no intention of buying the cards anyway. Besides if you really want to compare launch prices of a single gpu solution with no competition at the time the 8800 GTX had an MSRP of $599 while the 8800 GTS had an MSRP of $449 source. Even with a $10 increase it hasn't come close to those prices, LOL! Funny too, because I don't recall the level of outrage for those prices when the cards where released at those prices. It was only later when the HD 2900 had a rumored release date did people raise the question of it's price.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 11-28-2009 at 08:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    Besides if you really want to compare launch prices with no competition at the time the 8800 GTX had an MSRP of $599 while the 8800 GTS had an MSRP of $449 source. Even with a $10 increase it hasn't come close to those prices, LOL! Funny too, because I don't recall the level of outrage for those prices when the cards where released at those prices.
    They didn't have a price increase like it's happening now, they launched with according price regarding previous generation high end price. Although I couldn't care less about HD5xxx price raises, I think this comment is a bit deceiving.
    And, remember HD5870 could never be priced at 500$ because that way it would perform the same as 4870X2 but cost 100$ more. Not that smart for Enthusiast market, is it?

It was only later when the HD 2900 had a rumored release date did people raise the question of it's price.
    By then, nVidia had a decent line up for every price range: 8800 Ultra 650$; 8800GTX 550$; 8800GTS 640MB 450$; 8800GTS 320MB 350$.

Certainly high prices, but no competition whatsoever.

HD2900XT was priced correctly regarding it's average performance, between GTS 640 and GTS 320.

So, while it's a fact that HD58xx series have no competition and are great products, the background is incomparable with 8800's background. In 3 years, the GC market changed, but both companies still screw up, strategy wise.
    Are we there yet?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka_Aveiro View Post
    They didn't have a price increase like it's happening now, they launched with according price regarding previous generation high end price. Although I couldn't care less about HD5xxx price raises, I think this comment is a bit deceiving.
    Nothing deceiving about it, LOL. It brings a direct comparison between what you paid then and what you paid now. Overall prices have gone down which is why it's splitting hairs complaining of a $10 increase. Remember, their was price gouging for the G80/G92 release .

And, remember HD5870 could never be priced at 500$ because that way it would perform the same as 4870X2 but cost 100$ more. Not that smart for Enthusiast market, is it?
    Actually that's not relevant. You are forgetting to factor in the the problems with TMSC which is rumored to be fixed by Decemeber (we will see).

By then, nVidia had a decent line up for every price range: 8800 Ultra 650$; 8800GTX 550$; 8800GTS 640MB 450$; 8800GTS 320MB 350$. Certainly high prices, but no competition whatsoever.
    It doesn't matter. To date it's the highest price for a single gpu video card when compared to this generation of video cards.

HD2900XT was priced correctly regarding it's average performance, between GTS 640 and GTS 320.

So, while it's a fact that HD58xx series have no competition and are great products, the background is incomparable with 8800's background. In 3 years, the GC market changed, but both companies still screw up, strategy wise.
    The background is completely comparable because I am looking at it from a prospective of what Nvidia did when there was no competition and what AMD is doing now that there is no competition. So far, we haven't seen the same level of inflated prices even though they have both:
    A. Next gen video card which includes next gen DX support
    B. Overall performance crown

It's obvious you don't want to see it that way however, I do see it this way. And to me it speaks volumes as to how each conducts business.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 11-28-2009 at 08:59 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The un-extreme XIP
    man, gt300 can't come out soon enough, we need lower prices, not higher ones *grr*

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball

Xtreme Addict
    Supply and demand in the market has already set the price at which these cards will sell. Most cards are being sold above MSRP already by greedy retailers who are exploiting the great demand and limited supply. It just means that $10 less profit will be made by these retailers and this is likely to continue until both demand of people willing to pay the marked up price abates and more supply becomes available (both of which will probably be some time into the new year).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/1717...nscript?page=9

Q: And does that imply that you are able to raise prices in this environment?

Jen-Hsun Huang: We don’t raise prices. There’s no such thing. I mean, raising prices because demand is high is just bad mojo, man. You don’t want to go there.

Xtreme Member
    renaming must be "good mojo" then, i get it

Xtreme Mentor
    Usually, under normal conditions, the price should go down to the "normal" after the 2 weeks of "hype period". This $10 may sounds a little up, but actually it should go down by now. No doubt this a bend over price, a "creative marketing" move to squeeze $10 extra from nerds, just because they can .

Bend over nerds, here cumes 10" extra from ATI (oh, count on a few extra inches form greedy partners , and then some from greedy retailers on top of that , too). But don't worry the performance is great, it is all with love, banana:love, LMOA.
    Last edited by Sam_oslo; 11-28-2009 at 11:54 PM.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad1723 View Post
    What about the 5970?

It was originally supposed to be be priced at $499. It not only got a 100 dollar price increase, they delivered the card in such poor quantities that retailers are selling them for close to $700 dollars. On top of that, they neutered the specs compared to other x2 variants.

It's amazing isn't it? We are talking about $10 but if you really want to know what they are doing they are splitting hairs. Remember, some who are complaining have no intention of buying the cards anyway. Besides if you really want to compare launch prices of a single gpu solution with no competition at the time the 8800 GTX had an MSRP of $599 while the 8800 GTS had an MSRP of $449 source. Even with a $10 increase it hasn't come close to those prices, LOL! Funny too, because I don't recall the level of outrage for those prices when the cards where released at those prices. It was only later when the HD 2900 had a rumored release date did people raise the question of it's price.
    The difference is how much of an increase over the old generation the gtx8800 was and the size of the silicon itself. It had a more justifiable reason to be priced as it was. Nothing, in the double card arena could close to compete with it. It also made games playable a particular usable resolutions that were not possible before. Can this be said of the 5870? No way sunshine, the 4870x2 was similar in speed and already priced at $399. Additionally the gtx 295 was faster than it, so it could not command a 599 price tag. If AMD could get 5970 performance but in a single gpu, make no mistake they would charge more for it. Let not forget the gtx 8800 was the most expensive card to ever produce because it was among the largest silicon ever. Look at the size, 500 mm2. It's way bigger and cost more to produce. Hence its higher asking price.

Considering the actual gameplay/image quality improvement the 5870 over the previous generation, it simply lacks incentive to purchase until more directx 11 titles arrive. The 4870 and gtx 28x both offer enough performance to play anything outside of crysis at 1900*1080 on high settings. The 5870 just pushed 120 fps to 150 fps, which for all purposes useless. The gtx 8800 vs previous generation, this was not the case. Nearly all games had some tangible benefit, particularly oblivion which was a true AAA title, which won many game of the year accolades(not Dirt 2 which AMD is trying to push). It allowed gamers for the first time to enable both AA and AF and still retain playable frame rates.

When NV could produce gtx 8800 performance for cheaper, it passed the savings onto the customer in the form of the gt8800.

I think the thing with this move however it sets up a negative precedence. When have videocard manufacturers officially raised the price? Retailers have gouged, however when have manufacturers raised the price for videocards. Its a move on AMD part.

I was actually thinking about buying a 5970 and I made a post like this months ago. However, with the price increase and the gouging and the lower specs, I have decided to wait since there are no direct x 11 titles out and the performance is not that impressive an increase over my current setup.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=1270
    Last edited by tajoh111; 11-29-2009 at 12:13 AM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude90210 View Post
    Huh? Launch price was $379 for the 5870. You must be mixing the "59" part from the 5850's launch price.
    actually, you could pick them up for $339 on newegg in the beginning. the 5870 was lower in price then the 285... the 5870 had the clear performance advantage, so everyone buying that range of card opted for the 5870. that demand caused the price to gradually go north.

without nvidia adjusting their prices, costs will remain high... its sort of like what amd and nvidia did when amd first aquired ati. staggered releases with no price adjustments so the new cards could come in at a higher pricetag. they got called out on that one, i just hope this price increases isnt permanent.

here is some links in case someone may have forgot about that.

http://news.cnet.com/Justice-Dept.-s...?tag=mncol;txt
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...raphics-probe/

Xtreme Member
    United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurika, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by cupra View Post

Just 3 weeks ago the company notified its manufacturing partners about a rise in prices for the new
    video cards, and today we are hearing about a new rise in prices, as the company will charge an extra
    10$ for the HD 5870 graphics card.
    Wow, a whole 10 bucks!! That might break my pocket and I'll have to whine that I couldn't afford a +/-$350. video card.

It's called The Law of Supply and Demand, folks. Try to get over it.
    Last edited by aztec; 11-29-2009 at 05:55 AM.

AUDIO-ASUS Xonar DX SPKR-audioengine 5 CASE-Cooler Master Stacker RC-810-SSN1 CPU-E8400 - Q815 @ 4 GHz @ 1.23V FANS-Noctua GPU-EVGA GTX 660/2GB HDD-Raptor 150 ADFD + WD1600YS HSF-Noctua NH-U12 LCD-NEC 20WMGX² @ 1680x1050 MOBO-abit IP35 Pro - BIOS 16 + bolt mod OS-XP Pro x64 PSU-XFX 750W Black Edition RAM-G.Skill PC2-8800 Pi 2x2GB @ 1,128 @ 1.92v TIM-Arctic Cooling MX-2 UPS-TRIPPLITE SU1000XLa + Noctua fan mod

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by aztec View Post
    Wow, a whole 10 bucks!! That might break my pocket and I'll have to whine that I couldn't afford a +/-$350. video card.

It's called The Law of Supply and Demand, folks. Try to get over it.
    Now say that with an nVidia avatar.
    Are we there yet?

Xtreme Mentor
    tbh its hardly surprising.. although anoying.. come on nvidia sort it out
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Addict
    Looks at avatar, supply and demand, just get over it its 10 dollars, thats like 2 double big macs.
    Case: Corsair 400R
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    mobo: Maximus IV Gene
    CPU: 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.19 volts
    RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 1866mhz 2 x 4 gigs
    OS Drive: Kingston Hyper X ssd 120 gig
    Graphics: XFX HD5850
    Cooling: Corsair H100

Xtreme Mentor

kk

Wow, a re-branded card !! That might break my heart and I'll have a new card that couldn't do much better than my old g92 video card.

It's called The Law of Supply and Demand, folks. If you cant deliver re-brand.

Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurika, Inc.
    I'd say that about nV, or any other brand. Making an issue over a $10 price increase on a $350. product (a luxury item for most) is asinine.

AUDIO-ASUS Xonar DX SPKR-audioengine 5 CASE-Cooler Master Stacker RC-810-SSN1 CPU-E8400 - Q815 @ 4 GHz @ 1.23V FANS-Noctua GPU-EVGA GTX 660/2GB HDD-Raptor 150 ADFD + WD1600YS HSF-Noctua NH-U12 LCD-NEC 20WMGX² @ 1680x1050 MOBO-abit IP35 Pro - BIOS 16 + bolt mod OS-XP Pro x64 PSU-XFX 750W Black Edition RAM-G.Skill PC2-8800 Pi 2x2GB @ 1,128 @ 1.92v TIM-Arctic Cooling MX-2 UPS-TRIPPLITE SU1000XLa + Noctua fan mod

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    The difference is how much of an increase over the old generation the gtx8800 was and the size of the silicon itself. It had a more justifiable reason to be priced as it was. Nothing, in the double card arena could close to compete with it. It also made games playable a particular usable resolutions that were not possible before.
    This initially comment comes off as a double standard. It's ok to charge $100s more but $10 is way to much. Enough said.

Can this be said of the 5870? No way sunshine, the 4870x2 was similar in speed and already priced at $399.
    I cannot agree. Perhaps you forgot about DX11 support or, perhaps you forgot that a single GPU can perform similar to a 4870X2. Which can reduce heat and power draw. In any case the 5870 is better then the 4870 X2.

Additionally the gtx 295 was faster than it, so it could not command a 599 price tag. If AMD could get 5970 performance but in a single gpu, make no mistake they would charge more for it.
    Actually so far no they have not (which is the gist of my post). It was also said that if AMD commanded the lead like Nvidia did back then that AMD would "do the same thing". So far I am not seeing them "doing the same thing".

Let not forget the gtx 8800 was the most expensive card to ever produce because it was among the largest silicon ever. Look at the size, 500 mm2. It's way bigger and cost more to produce. Hence its higher asking price.
    As I recall it, many claimed that the gtx 8800 didn't cost much more to produce then the HD2900. Regardless, the price of the G80 was reduced around the time the HD2900 was released. But wait, later that year they released a 8800 GT which costed $259 however it really cost as high as $300+ from some retailers. To only come down to around $175 a few months later (after the release of the 8800 GTS 512 in Dec. 2007). So your claim of higher production cost doesn't apply when they did the same thing with the 8800 GT when it was released. Heck in some places it costed £250-£300. LOL, but let us read on...

Considering the actual gameplay/image quality improvement the 5870 over the previous generation, it simply lacks incentive to purchase until more directx 11 titles arrive. The 4870 and gtx 28x both offer enough performance to play anything outside of crysis at 1900*1080 on high settings. The 5870 just pushed 120 fps to 150 fps, which for all purposes useless. The gtx 8800 vs previous generation, this was not the case. Nearly all games had some tangible benefit, particularly oblivion which was a true AAA title, which won many game of the year accolades(not Dirt 2 which AMD is trying to push). It allowed gamers for the first time to enable both AA and AF and still retain playable frame rates.
    This is just wrong and no real need to debate it. However, what he is implying here is that there is no noticeable improvement of the 5870 over the 4890. Odd, we didn't see DX10 titles for several months after the G80 release. I don't recall the outcry of that then? But wait there's more...

When NV could produce gtx 8800 performance for cheaper, it passed the savings onto the customer in the form of the gt8800.
    Read what I said above, the 8800 GT cost well over $300 when released so no, people didn't save on that. Because a few months later the price of the 8800 GT dropped significantly once the 8800 GTS 512 was released.

I think the thing with this move however it sets up a negative precedence. When have videocard manufacturers officially raised the price? Retailers have gouged, however when have manufacturers raised the price for videocards. Its a move on AMD part.
    What set a negative precedence was nvidia and AMD price fixing. What also sets a negative precedence was nvidia's extremely high price for their products when there was no competition. Prices we haven't seen prior or since.

I was actually thinking about buying a 5970 and I made a post like this months ago. However, with the price increase and the gouging and the lower specs, I have decided to wait since there are no direct x 11 titles out and the performance is not that impressive an increase over my current setup.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=1270
    This IMO is also a weak link of of your argument. I think we all can wait until prices are a bit more reasonable. However, the amount of complaining you've done here would give the impression you would not buy the product. However, it's clear that you will which IMO naturalizes your earlier negative thoughts.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 11-29-2009 at 09:23 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast