Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASUS EFI (GUI) BIOS for P5Q Deluxe Mobo

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    Why not set something where each term is defined? This would really provide most people with at least some insight into what they are changing.

Even guidelines for CPUs, like max safe voltage/temps with info provided by Intel/AMD. That's simply helpful.

These are the type of things that will simply help people out.

Maybe a better organization of settings, but just to color in the bios, provide some drop down tabs, etc.... I don't see this as a real improvement. Just flashy marketing.
    Because it isn't a real EFI. Once we start seeing real EFI boards, they should be considerably better.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    EFI? No thanks.
    AMEN!
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Addict
    I work with allot of computers on a daily basis running on a GUI bios...it sucks. I toss the mouse and fly through it with a keyboard. Also, they're not the most stable. I've had 16 units freeze on me while tabbing through today.
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Xtreme Member
    Instead of this lame GUI thingy, why don't they spend their time making a really good features in the bios for OC-er, too many to list here.

One good example, BIOS setting verification "ONLINE" thru onboard ethernet at their assigned web site, sort of like CPUZ verification but at bios level (not OS level), or voltage offset reading adjustment for better accuracy, implement oc testing/benching apps in BIOS like memtest, linx, SuperPI ..and etc..etc.

Hope those BIOS programmers are reading this thread.
    Last edited by bing; 11-27-2009 at 01:14 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    Bios versus EFI is like a businessman versus a hippie. Simple but formal look versus 20 different colors and tools that we don't need.
    Worse comparison ever?

I think most people here dont grasp what UEFI is... UEFI is not the GUI, you can make a UEFi look exactly the same as a normal bios screen if you want to.
    With a bios you need a boot loader, with uefi you dont. uefi allowes you to load drivers before even initialzing the os, meaning you dont need drivers for specific oses.

I dont care if uefi or coreboot takes the lead, but one thing is sure, the old lagacy bios needs to die.. its the last 16bit relic in modern pcs...

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Instead of this lame GUI thingy, why don't they spend their time making a really good features in the bios for OC-er, too many to list here.

One good example, BIOS setting verification "ONLINE" thru onboard ethernet at their assigned web site, sort of like CPUZ verification but at bios level (not OS level), or voltage offset reading adjustment for better accuracy, implement oc testing/benching apps in BIOS like memtest, linx, SuperPI ..and etc..etc.

Hope those BIOS programmers are reading this thread.
    Well this would be possible with uef.

Xtreme Addict
    A number of things could be improved with respect to the usability of firmware and none of them would require keyboard navigation to disappear...

- More attractive and/or informative POST splash and status screens that don't make your PC look like it's from the 80's
    - Better context sensitive help with diagrams where helpful
    - Better drill-down navigation with icons and bread crumbs
    - Improved controls where it makes sense (sliders, dials, drop-downs, etc.)
    - More information displayed on one screen
    - Better ability to save multiple settings and import/export settings
    - Maybe a dashboard view as the main screen
    - Options for novice/expert views

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
    A number of things could be improved with respect to the usability of firmware and none of them would require keyboard navigation to disappear...

- More attractive and/or informative POST splash and status screens that don't make your PC look like it's from the 80's
    - Better context sensitive help with diagrams where helpful
    - Better drill-down navigation with icons and bread crumbs
    - Improved controls where it makes sense (sliders, dials, drop-downs, etc.)
    - More information displayed on one screen
    - Better ability to save multiple settings and import/export settings
    - Maybe a dashboard view as the main screen
    - Options for novice/expert views
    ok... now I'm starting to change my mind...

so if I understood some of posters, this ASUS "click-me" nonsense isn't really EFI, but some lame "EFI-wanna-be" GUI?

I really don't see the point of this lame attempt to make BIOS mouse friendly! Those who know around BIOS are accustomed to keyboard, those who don't know what is BIOS and how to enter to BIOS mouse will be of absolutely no help at all...
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Member
    Wasnt Vista SP1 the first Windows OS to support EFI?

Will current motherboards support this standard? For instance, I have a new Intel P55 board...would Intel be able to offer an EFI version of their BIOS?

I'm assuming EFI has not infiltrated the Windows world yet because OS support has been scarce. Now that Windows 7 looks like it is going to be the next XP, I would think EFI would have no roadblocks at this point.

Xtreme Addict
    That's odd. I'd expect ASUS to offer EFI to ROG class motherboards. We paid the most, so you'd somehow expect to also get the most out of it. EFI included. Oh well.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedjo View Post
    ok... now I'm starting to change my mind...

so if I understood some of posters, this ASUS "click-me" nonsense isn't really EFI, but some lame "EFI-wanna-be" GUI?

I really don't see the point of this lame attempt to make BIOS mouse friendly! Those who know around BIOS are accustomed to keyboard, those who don't know what is BIOS and how to enter to BIOS mouse will be of absolutely no help at all...
    The 'BIOS' ASUS showed could very well still be based on EFI. You can make an EFI interface look in whatever way you want, you could even make it look exactly the same as an ordinary BIOS. The main point of EFI is that it is a vastly more modern underlying structure, made for current computer needs and EFI doesn't require Assembly programming skills to work with. BIOS on the other hand is very old and outdated and requires Assembly to make changes to the underlying structure.

EDIT: Don't Intel's current motherboards make use of EFI? Not completely as far as I understand it, to preserve compatibility with older OS'.
    EDIT 2: I'm not completely sure if EFI really is such a great improvement upon BIOS, but time will tell though.
    Last edited by Helmore; 11-27-2009 at 02:46 PM.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorlac View Post
    Wasnt Vista SP1 the first Windows OS to support EFI?

Will current motherboards support this standard? For instance, I have a new Intel P55 board...would Intel be able to offer an EFI version of their BIOS?

I'm assuming EFI has not infiltrated the Windows world yet because OS support has been scarce. Now that Windows 7 looks like it is going to be the next XP, I would think EFI would have no roadblocks at this point.
    UEFI has a lagacy mode (CSM) , so even oses that dont support EFI can boot on a EFI motherboard. It just emulates a 16bit bios.

And no current mobos can't be updated with UEFI, since it requires other infrastructure.
    Last edited by Hornet331; 11-27-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    I agree with you there, I want my motherboard to start loading my OS within 3 seconds of me pushing the power button.
    How many times you need to push that button in 24hrs ?

I mean if you are doing that more than a 5 times in a day, that means you lose like few minutes of your life while you are watching win logo...

Seriously, this GUI is more complicated than common..loads of "precious time" went because of mouse pointing, finding...etc...
    i7 920 D0 @ 4ghz HT on + TRUE black + Noctua p12
    Gigabyte UD3R rev 1.6
    2x2 GB Mushkin Red Line 1600mhz CL6
    Gigabyte 6870 1080/1250 - testing in progress
    Antec 182
    Enermax revolution 850
    WD 1Tb
    www.pcaxe.com

Xtreme Addict
    TBQH, it looks less intuitive and slower than the winbios that AMI had back in the 90s.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Enthusiast
    1. BIOS Boots in <3 seconds.
    2. For O.C'ing, more detailed explanation of parameters/terms and useful suggestions/guide lines of said terms
    3. Stress Testing tools in BIOS. Memory testing tools in BIOS. Temp/voltage monitoring in BIOS should be visible at all time.
    4. Pretty interface is not useful if functionality is not improved.
    Modded Cosmos. | Maximus II Formula. Bios 1307| 2x2 Mushkin XP ASCENT 8500 | Q9550-E0- 4.10 + TRUE | Visiontek HD4870X2 | LN32A550 1920x1080 | X-FI Extreme Gamer | Z5300E | G15v.1 | G7 | MX518 | Corsair HX1000 | X25-MG2 80G | 5xHDD

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    I agree with you there, I want my motherboard to start loading my OS within 3 seconds of me pushing the power button. There might be a slight problem with that, as it will make entering the BIOS menu a bit tougher.
    you WANT to wait 3 seconds? why?
    and why starting up? what we need is faster resume...
    its beyond me why it takes more than 1s to resume from S3 tbh...

Read the whole thread and watched the video.
    This "advancement" gives us more pretty stuff instead of usable features. Not what I want at all. But We will never get what power users had with the like of the Apple ][ series, a non-mask-able interrupt, RAM editor in ROM (autostart ROM hacking anyone?), battery backed RAM disks for 10 second boots, etc. Would it be so hard to have a three finger salute into the BIOS at any time? There would be massive crashing as idiots and experts went where they should not. But for power users it would be heaven.
    I am so bad at Quake, I might as well be DOA

Xtreme Addict
    It would really be great if they let you change the colors & the Asus logo >=) and add in optional sound effects, the ability to complete skip BIOS screen and go to WINDOWS (there must be a way to enable it again through software).
    Last edited by clayton; 11-28-2009 at 10:17 AM.

All systems sold. Will be back after Sandy Bridge!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    ooo, oooooo *raises hand excitedly*, i know a new feature, how about the ability to export and import settings, so we can all share our bios configurations?
    It can already be done on some of the Gigabyte boards.

Xtreme Mentor
    I would really like to see the cut down the POST time.
    It really frustrates me when I tinker with my machines....

Old bios needs to die already, seriously!
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12