Thread: Buffalo USB 3.0 External Drive Arriving in U.S.

Xtreme Member

Buffalo USB 3.0 External Drive Arriving in U.S.

I can dig me some 625MB/sec Transfer Speed

Press Release - Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 07:12 a.m.

Offers Lightning Fast Transfer Speeds in a Robust, Stylish Design

Buffalo Technology today announced the first SuperSpeed USB 3.0 external storage solution. The DriveStation HD-HXU3 is ideal for creative professionals, computer power users and digital content creators, delivering transfer rates up to 625 MB per second (or five Gbits per second) for the quick transfer and storage of high-resolution graphics, digital audio/video, large multimedia files, photos and more.

"Innovation has always been Buffalo Technology's core value and the new DriveStation HD-HXU3 combines both USB 3.0 performance, and the latest hard disk technology to give consumers the fastest, and most reliable solution on the market," said Ralph Spagnola, vice president of sales at Buffalo Technology. "The DriveStation HD-HXU3 delivers on Buffalo's ongoing commitment in delivering high quality, robust storage solutions to meet the high demands of today's consumers."

The DriveStation USB 3.0 storage solution is backward-compatible and works with all USB 2.0 enabled computers and notebooks, as well as forthcoming USB 3.0 models. Available in 1.0TB, 1.5TB and 2.0TB capacities, the DriveStation™ HD-HXU3 with SuperSpeed USB gives users the ability to quickly back-up and store important data and other digital assets.

In conjunction with the new SuperSpeed USB DriveStation, Buffalo has released a two-port USB 3.0 PCI Express Interface Card IFC-PCIE2U3. The USB 3.0 PCI Express Interface Card allows users to upgrade their PC or Mac to utilize SuperSpeed USB for faster data transfer speeds than ever before. The DriveStation HD-HXU3 gives users the ability to quickly back up important data and store office work, digital photos, music and movies in one central location.

Included with each DriveStation USB 3.0 HD-HXU3 storage solution is Memeo's award-winning backup package. Memeo AutoBackup software gives you the power to securely and automatically manage and backup your files in real-time. No need for manual or scheduled backups, Memeo AutoBackup will find any new or updated file instantly and automatically, copying them to the drive so that you have a safe copy. After the initial setup, you never have to look at it again.

Pricing and Availability
    The DriveStation USB 3.0 HD-HXU3 is backed by a limited one-year warranty that includes toll-free 24/7 technical support and is available now at estimated street prices of:

•$199.99 for 1TB (HD-HX1.0TU3)
    •$249.99 for 1.5TB (HD-HX1.5TU3)
    •$399.99 for 2.0TB (HD-HX2.0TU3)

Xtreme Member
    looke like an xbox

I am Xtreme
    so how does this read/write at 625MB/s? 200$ for a TB, that can run at those speeds? something sounds off.

Xtreme Guru
    yea that would be pushing the i/o of system drives...well way above them, why not run an operating system offa that?
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    so how does this read/write at 625MB/s? 200$ for a TB, that can run at those speeds? something sounds off.
    Theoretical peak, since its not solid state or ram nor some expensive multi drive RAID controller based thing

Xtreme Addict
    Prolly means just the burst. Typical marketing.
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

Xtreme Member
    Should be a good improvement over USB2, I'd definately pick one of these up. Speeds quoted are theoretical throughput, the drive will limit the transfer speed but should see 2-3 times faster read performance over USB2.

I am Xtreme
    until i see a review, this is nothing special.

Xtreme Addict
    I wanna see cheap USB3 enclosures and PCI-e cards
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

Xtreme Cruncher
    speeds are just for the USB3 bus and theoretical best case scenario, any actual speeds will be significantly lower

|Rig: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor|6gb DDR2 800|Dual 250gb Western Digital RAID0|8600GT|

(12:16:17 AM) OC3D NoL: NOL EAT ANNOYING NOOBIE
    (12:16:19 AM) OC3D NoL: RAWRRRR

Xtreme Guru
    yes and until there are better onboard devices usb 3.0 is killing the p55 chipset lol. the gigabyte p55a-ud6, when its usb 3.0 devices are being used kicks the pcie bus down to x8 on one slot and x4 on the other slot. ridiculous. why even put it on there? with dedicated pcie slot cards though i think they will be great. caution when using onboard 3.0 though on these new boards, it kills em,
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Computurd View Post
    yes and until there are better onboard devices usb 3.0 is killing the p55 chipset lol. the gigabyte p55a-ud6, when its usb 3.0 devices are being used kicks the pcie bus down to x8 on one slot and x4 on the other slot. ridiculous. why even put it on there? with dedicated pcie slot cards though i think they will be great. caution when using onboard 3.0 though on these new boards, it kills em,
    Right, although the P55 is aimed more at mainstream people whom I doubt would be using multi-GPU setups so the PCIe lane restriction won't affect them.

However, I am disappointed at the lack of support of USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps on the X58 chipset. I'd much rather see motherboard manufactures add these to X58 boards or even P55 boards with a NF200 chip than putting them on mainstream boards whose users probably will not use the technology until at least Q2 2010.
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Xtreme Guru
    true that, however, form recent testing i have read even a dual-gpu card in a single x8 slot, will take a big nose dive in performance. some people may be planning on going with one big dual gpu, but ion a x8 slot you can lose tons of performance. one recent test of a 295 on a p55 board showed some big losses, especially in minimum frame rates, where you spend the majority of time gaming. of course you couldn't even realize what this would do to a sli setup...only one card on a x8 slot gets strangled. so i think it is a relevant issue if a single card can be strangled. the pcie lane restriction WILL affect others.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

World Champion - IRONMODS
    until i see a review, this is nothing special.
    I'll have my review up by the end of the week...obviously, 625MB/s is not realistic, but the drive (and USB3.0) is impressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Absolutely, you are 100% correct. However, the only real use of the P55 chipset for people like us is as a secondary computer, home server, media server, etc., and not as our main gaming rig. On the other hand, I doubt the average John Doe, who probably is (or will be) running a H57 or P55 chipset and a GTS250 in his Dell/HP/Apple desktop, is not going to notice the difference between 16x and 8x on a particular PCIe lane.

That said, I can see why the manufactures are eager to add USB3.0 and Sata 6.0Gbps to the P55 chipset. However, I believe it is premature as the users of these boards will mainly benefit from the increased speeds only when the market is saturated with USB3.0 cameras, external HDDs, etc., which will not be until mid to late 2010.
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Xtreme X.I.P.
    only one hdd? hows that gonna saturate usb3? 0_o

Xtreme Addict
    no esata on these drives?

it cant. 625MB/s is the maximum bandwidth that usb 3.0 can provide. I think thats what they are referring to.
    Last edited by grimREEFER; 11-26-2009 at 12:13 PM.
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Guru
    yea it would have to be ssd or such to do that, but it is definitely gonna be as fast as esata or faster anyhow
    "Lurking" Since 1977

The un-extreme XIP
    guys, this can't possibly be faster than esata. esata has absolutely nothing sitting between the sata host and the sata drive. adding extra stuff between the computer and the drive can only slow things down (unless some intelligent caching system is there).

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball

Xtreme Guru
    well technically a usb 3.0 device in the future will be able to go faster than the current sata bus. this device wont do it of course, but the current sata spec tops out at 300 mbp/s (theoretical of course). the new theoretical sped of usb 3.0 is 625/s, double that of sata/esata. even if there is devices in between that is doubling throughput of the bus. of course we will need faster devices than this current one!
    "Lurking" Since 1977

The un-extreme XIP
    none of that matters once you plug a sata hard drive in to it

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball

Xtreme Addict
    Usb 360

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS