Thread: ok to mount ddc with outlet facing down ?

Xtreme Enthusiast

ok to mount ddc with outlet facing down ?

im using mcp355 with xspc top, is it ok to mount it with the outlet facing down "vertical" ?
    Last edited by quattro_; 11-23-2009 at 06:49 AM.

Are you talking about the XSPC reservoir Top, like in your avatar? I'm not sure if I'd trust the plastisc screw cap on the fillport to remain sealed.
    Dutch techies visit www.geekswarm.nl

Hardware: Antec P180b | Corsair HX850W | MSI P55-GD65 | Core i7 860 | 2*2GB Corsair Dominator PC12800 CL7 | Sapphire HD5870 + XFX HD5870 | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB|WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Cooling: Swiftech MCP355 + XSPC ResTop | ThermoChill Pa120.2 & TFC X-changer 120 | Swiftech Apogee XT | EK-FC5870 Acetal+Nickel | Tygon 3603 |Feser Ultra Pure + Corrosion blocker | 6*Scythe S-Flex F @ Scythe Kaze Master Ace

Bench: DimasTech Easy 2.5 | MSI-P67A-GD65 | Intel Core i7 2600K | 2*4GB Corsair Vengeance PC12800 CL8 | 2* MSI R6950 CFX

Xtreme Enthusiast
    no no the regular top "no res" .
    this one : http://www.xspc.biz/ddctop.php

ive seen a couple of guys mounting it like that but with the outlet sideways, not sure if its ok when the outlet is facing down .
    Last edited by quattro_; 11-23-2009 at 06:52 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    OK as long as input is not facing down...

Xtreme Member
    http://www.lainginc.com/pdf/LTI%20DDC.pdf page 3

since the top changes the direction of the inlet i'd think it'd be fine though

I am Xtreme
    As shown in the link ryan posted, hell no, it's not safe. . .even with a different top.

I also don't like the the mounting position that I've highlighted with the red arrow in the image below as it can possibly allow a large air bubble to be trapped on the non outlet side of the pump.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Chasing After Diety
    WL... those are for the barbs both pointing down, because i can see a condition where the impeller would be starved since it has to go in a 90 facing down b4 it can pull water in.

But in an after market top, the inlet to the impeller chamber is pretty straight though.

Id say its 100% ok as long as u can visually check to make sure your impeller chamber never ran dry.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thanks for your input, ill try to figure a way to mount it in the upright position (i have very limited space).

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    WL... those are for the barbs both pointing down, because i can see a condition where the impeller would be starved since it has to go in a 90 facing down b4 it can pull water in.

But in an after market top, the inlet to the impeller chamber is pretty straight though.

Id say its 100% ok as long as u can visually check to make sure your impeller chamber never ran dry.
    Ooopppsss! You know what?. . .I somehow read the topic title as "ok to mount ddc with inlet facing down ?"

I'd still go by Laing's recommendations on pump orientations though, even with an after market top.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post

+1 this is the correct analysis.

if top=aftermarket;
    then cout<< "dont mount base inverted";
    else cout << "dont mount barbs down or base inverted";

return 0;

...ugh im so tired.... thank god for thanksgiving break.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post

...ugh im so tired.... thank god for thanksgiving break.
    AMEN to that.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thanks again guys, here is how i want to set it up: "sorry for the crappy drowning"

Xtreme Mentor
    Great drawing poor way to drown tho. Since the res is feeding the pump like that, any bubbles will rise into the res, the way ya drew it is just fine, no issues to do it like that.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro_ View Post
    thanks again guys, here is how i want to set it up: "sorry for the crappy drowning"

can u just have an L.

The res feeds the pump with the inlet facing down.
    And then the pump feeds the rad from the side?

It'll do the trick, i guess. Just make sure you get rid of any air trapped in the pump.
    Dutch techies visit www.geekswarm.nl

Hardware: Antec P180b | Corsair HX850W | MSI P55-GD65 | Core i7 860 | 2*2GB Corsair Dominator PC12800 CL7 | Sapphire HD5870 + XFX HD5870 | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB|WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Cooling: Swiftech MCP355 + XSPC ResTop | ThermoChill Pa120.2 & TFC X-changer 120 | Swiftech Apogee XT | EK-FC5870 Acetal+Nickel | Tygon 3603 |Feser Ultra Pure + Corrosion blocker | 6*Scythe S-Flex F @ Scythe Kaze Master Ace

Bench: DimasTech Easy 2.5 | MSI-P67A-GD65 | Intel Core i7 2600K | 2*4GB Corsair Vengeance PC12800 CL8 | 2* MSI R6950 CFX

Xtreme Member

Do not do this.

You should never mount a DDC pump with the outlet facing downward. The input should also never be mounted facing downward, because you want to avoid running the pump dry. However, the DDC pump can actually be mounted with the inlet facing downwards, i.e., "sucking up", so long as the pump is always primed with water, which can be accomplished with either the use of a foot valve, or by having a closed loop with no air bubbles in it.

The bigger problem is with the pump "pushing" water downward as you have it pictured here. The engineers at Laing who designed and built this pump tell you not to pump downhill. Why? Probably because they designed this pump to operate with some positive back pressure, and running the pump downhill, creates a suction pressure at the outlet, which they feel is bad for the pump. So, I would recommend against orienting the pump as you have it pictured now, in order to avoid damaging your pump. I would recommend that you orient it a different way, and look into getting some 90 degree or even 180 degree fittings, if you have limited space for mounting this pump. Otherwise, if you do it this way, I would suggest that you start saving money for your next pump now, so you can get the new one the day this one fails.

Chasing After Diety
    why cant you just do this.. im lost...

It would look like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xtreme Enthusiast
    truth is in using Watercool dual ddc top and i have limited space in front of the rad + im losing my mind setting everything up on my new i7 machine its driving me crazy.
    ill just have to stop working on it and rethink everything tomorrow, thank you all for your advice ill take it all under consideration.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by eth0s View Post
    The input should also never be mounted facing downward, because you want to avoid running the pump dry.
    However, the DDC pump can actually be mounted with the inlet facing downwards, i.e., "sucking up",
    so long as the pump is always primed with water, which can be accomplished with either the use of a foot valve, or by having a closed loop with no air bubbles in it.
    Technically correct but risky. Some loops bleed fully in hours, others take days.
    The bigger problem is with the pump "pushing" water downward as you have it pictured here. The engineers at Laing who designed and built this pump tell you not to pump downhill. Why? Probably because they designed this pump to operate with some positive back pressure, and running the pump downhill, creates a suction pressure at the outlet, which they feel is bad for the pump. So, I would recommend against orienting the pump as you have it pictured now, in order to avoid damaging your pump.
    Sorry, but again...

Xtreme Addict
    im using mcp355 with xspc top, is it ok to mount it with the outlet facing down "vertical" ?
    why don't you test it yourself by shifting it?

as long as there's no air bubbles ... it'll work just fine ...

if there's happens to be air bubbles/void/gap, then gravity will come to play ...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibbler View Post

Technically correct but risky. Some loops bleed fully in hours, others take days.Sorry, but again...
    @ Kibbler: Normally, if you want to mount a pump above its water supply you need to use a foot valve, which is a one-way valve that traps water in the line and does not allow the water to flow back down and out of the pump when you turn the pump off, so you always keep the pump primed, and you never have a dry pump. However, nobody I know has ever installed a foot valve in a computer because once the loop is filled with water, there is no need for one, because the water cannot flow back out of the pump since it is trapped in a closed loop. The trick of course is filling and bleeding the system without a foot valve. This is most easily accomplished by turning the case upside down and filling as you would any system where the water supply is above the pump. Once it is upside down, the water supply is above the pump, and you fill it and bleed it as you would normally. Then turn the case right side up after all of the bubbles have been bled out. You can however, fill the system upside down, and then try to bleed the system right side up of course, but this may damage your pump if you have a really big air pocket that goes through the pump. It may be a small risk, but you risk damaging the pump.

So here is the point I was trying to make: drawing water up from a water supply that is located physically below a pump is not impossible, nor is it necessarily bad for a pump. However, what MAY be bad for a DDC pump, is pumping water downwards. I am not really sure why, but I do know that the engineers who designed the DDC pump at the Laing corporation, do not want this pump to be placed in an orientation where the water is being pumped directly downward. The designer of a pump is very well acquainted with that pump's limitations and weaknesses. He may never admit them to you and me, but he knows what is weak about his design. And if he tells you not to orient the pump facing downward, you should probably listen to him, because the reason he is telling you that is to avoid damaging the pump. Now why can't the DDC pump in a downwards orientation? My guess is that since pumps are basically designed to pump water uphill (you may think of your loop as a bunch of horizontal twists and turns, but each foot of tubing and each water block create resistance to the water flow, and this creates a pressure drop, meaning it acts just like a vertical incline), certain pumps may need an amount of back pressure to function properly.