Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: First Intel Core i9 (Gulftown) review from POLAND

Xtreme Addict
    They definitely need to offer one in a cheaper category. Especially if i9 does scale well with voltage/temps to 5ghz yet more sensitive to volts with die shrink. I dont mind paying less than 500 to run one 24/7 at or near 5ghz w/?near 1.5 vcore until I kill/degrade it from lack of OCing self control, but not doing that with 1K.

Xtreme Mentor
    I want a 32 nm quad upgrade, but there arent any planned for LGA1366 .

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    I want a 32 nm quad upgrade, but there arent any planned for LGA1366 .
    No 32nm quads until Sandy Bridge (2011).
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Back from the Dead
    There are 32nm ES Quads out there right now (Q3QT)
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by dan7777 View Post
    so all round which is beter having HT 0n or HT off ???
    Depends on what you are doing with your PC most of the time. If you can live with a 5-10% performance hit below possible potential in gaming, but enjoy the fruits of media editing and rendering, then leave it on.

http://communities.intel.com/communi...-collaboration
    Win 7 is supposedly suppose to include a more 'intelligent' scheduler, meaning that for the available number of threads if threads is < physical core count, it is suppose to distribute the threads over physical cores first, then start populating logical cores (thread counts > physical core count). I have not yet seen a good study that confirms or contradicts this claim.

Depending on your usage, HT can be a detriment, but can also be a significant boost, or can be just mediocre.
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 11-23-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Addict
    I want 32nm LGA1366 octal core...this hex core crap reeks of Intel cheaping out.
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

Xtreme Addict
    No complain about performance and all that but price anyone? This is a Westmere's flagship that gonna cost like a grand, does Intel have any plan to release any mainstream 6 cores anytime soon?

CPU: Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67 Case: Corsair 700D w/ 800D window
    CPU Cooler:
    Corsair H70 w/ 2 GTs AP-15 GPU: 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI
    RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws PSU: Corsair AX850W Sound card: Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9
    HDD:
    Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Display: 3x30" Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC
    Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Headphone: Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by Helloworld_98 View Post
    I don't think you get what SMT(today's main hyperthreading, there's quite a few types of hyperthreading) is,

SMT means that it tells the OS that one physical core is two cores, so no matter which core you select to do work on, it's still going to be working on a physical core.
    Get down from that pedestal, I know exactly how SMT works, I was just simplifying. Let me rephrase:
    right now, when a process has less than 4 threads, the OS loads cores in a sequential manner, happening to leave physical cores unloaded because the first two (virtual) cores actually belong to a single physical one. If you launch a single process that has 4 threads, windows throws them to the first 4 cores, and ends up loading 2 phys. cores at 100% while leaving the other two idle. What I'm wishing is for Windows to intelligently detect that the cores it sees belong to fewer physical cores, accordingly managing threads so that the first 4 get assigned to core 0/2/4/6, and start loading "doubled" cores only if there are more than 4 active threads.
    Windows should throw threads to a core only if the physical thread it belongs to isn't already working the other virtual core.

Anyway, I hope that along with the extreme 999$ version (the only one planned for release in the consumer market) there will be more affordable socket 1366 Xeons. A 500$ lower frequency exacore would be very interesting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by iTravis View Post
    No complain about performance and all that but price anyone? This is a Westmere's flagship that gonna cost like a grand, does Intel have any plan to release any mainstream 6 cores anytime soon?
    No way, this will be their flagship for a year and a half at least but look for mainstream and low power quad cores a year from now when they finnish all the current 45nm quads

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JaD View Post
    Get down from that pedestal, I know exactly how SMT works, I was just simplifying. Let me rephrase:
    right now, when a process has less than 4 threads, the OS loads cores in a sequential manner, happening to leave physical cores unloaded because the first two (virtual) cores actually belong to a single physical one. If you launch a single process that has 4 threads, windows throws them to the first 4 cores, and ends up loading 2 phys. cores at 100% while leaving the other two idle.
    Wrong. Where does mis-information like this come from?

Windows has been HT aware since XP/Server2003...

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...t-windows.mspx

Here's a relevant excerpt...

5.1 Hyper-Threading Aware Thread Scheduling

For the purpose of this discussion, a thread refers to an operating system or application instruction stream. For HT-enabled systems, it is advantageous to schedule any thread to a logical processor on an idle physical processor, that is, on a physical processor that has no instructions executing on either logical processor. This minimizes the impact of competition for shared HT processor resources on overall system performance.

Figure 7 shows an example of a four-processor system that has two active threads. A shaded logical processor indicates an active logical processor; a non-shaded processor indicates an inactive logical processor.

Figure 7. A Four-Processor System with Two Active Threads

Assuming that no processor affinity has been set, the operating system scheduler is free to schedule the next available thread to any of the inactive logical processors. An operating system might randomly schedule the next thread to any of the available logical processors on the system. This section examines the performance impact if the scheduler chooses the wrong logical processor.

Some assumptions about the performance of the system have to be made to simplify the comparison. Assume that there are no significant bottlenecks in the system architecture or in the software, and that adding a thread to an idle physical processor results in a performance increase equivalent to 100% (100) of a similarly equipped non-HT processor. On this basis, the performance of the system in Figure 7 is 200 before the third thread is scheduled.

Scheduling the third thread on either logical processor 2 or 5 would have the following effects:
    • The performance increase that is delivered when transitioning from one active logical processor to two active logical processors, on the same physical processor, is typically in the range of 10% (10) to 30% (30). So on average the total system performance would be likely to increase from 200 to 220 (that is, it goes up by 10%).
    • This lower performance increase is due to the fact that two threads are competing for the use of the shared resources on one of the physical HT processors. So scheduling a thread onto an HT processor that already has an active logical processor has the following effects:
    o Slowing down the performance of that active logical processor
    o Limiting the performance of the new scheduled thread on the second logical processor
    • The good news is that, for multithreaded applications, the sum of the performance of these two threads will typically be better than the performance of a similarly equipped non-HT processor. The specific performance increase for any application would depend on how its threads use the shared resource.

Scheduling the third thread on logical processor 3, 4, 7 or 8 would have the following effect:
    • The performance increase of the system is 100% (100) of a similarly equipped non-HT processor. In this case there is no competition for shared HT processor resources and the total system performance goes up from 200 to 300 (that is, it goes up by 50%).

To take advantage of this performance opportunity, the scheduler in the Windows Server 2003 family and Windows XP has been modified to identify HT processors and to favor dispatching threads onto inactive physical processors wherever possible.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So waiting for i9's is a waste of time for anyone without a big budget?

I've been looking at a new* pc, and even a i7 920 seems overpriced for what benefit I get (mainly a gamer). The older q9650, possibly even the x4 965 look much more appealing. But I'm planning on banging a 5870 into the new build, and dont know if it's going to need a beastly cpu to scale well (gaming at 1920*1080)

And I like AA.

*by my standards

Xtreme Member
    where is Die shot for Gulftown?

i don't know thuban = Istanbul ? but here :

Thuban, like Istanbul, will be a monolithic core and will utilize the same 45nm process as its cousin in the server space
    From http://hothardware.com/News/Details-...ore-Processor/

i think at least it can Compete core i7 940.
    CPU : Athlon X2 7850,Clock:3000 at 1.20 | Mobo : Biostar TA790GX A2+ Rev 5.1 | PSU : Green GP535A | VGA : Sapphire 5770 Clock:910,Memory:1300 | Memory : Patriot 2x2 GB DDR2 800 CL 5-5-5-15 | LCD : AOC 931Sw

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Excellent comparison, all compared cpus same speed and low settings for game tests
    CPUs like this need testing with multi gpu configs.
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

all outta gum
    English version backed up here: http://omgwtfbbq.ovh.org/ (in case they delete the article).
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

behrouz: not exactly...only very similary. Thuban has some few changes.
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    The speed in some apps is awesome, but what's the cost of this cpu, $1000 - $1500?

Besides running cooler and faster (huge strides thanks to 32nm process), I can't even see why an i7 user (besides people here on XS, we're not the norm) would need or could utilize this in any way unless you compress stuff all the time.
    As an architect who does renderings, the more cores, the faster it will render until GPU computing for rendering becomes main stream.
    Gaming/Rendering rig:
    eVGA X58 Tri-SLI
    Intel i7-970 w/ Corsair H100
    24gigs Corsair 2000s
    eVGA GTX580 3GB
    Too many HDD's
    LG Blu-ray player
    Corsair hx1050 psu
    Corsair 800D case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaunits View Post
    Too bad Apple will have exclusivity on this thing for some time when it lauynches (3 or 6 months?). Sux.
    Where did you hear/read that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BSEL View Post
    Did anyone notice that the chip reached 4.3 ghz on air at 1.35v?
    I am more impressed with the 3.2ghz at .9volts
    Gaming/Rendering rig:
    eVGA X58 Tri-SLI
    Intel i7-970 w/ Corsair H100
    24gigs Corsair 2000s
    eVGA GTX580 3GB
    Too many HDD's
    LG Blu-ray player
    Corsair hx1050 psu
    Corsair 800D case

Xtreme Member
    Riddle me this, how does i5 and i7 like having cores disabled? I've built several i5 systems but never played with disabling cores in the BIOS, though i've seen the options. I'm thinking slashing that 6 cores down to 4 with more MHZ would be better for most gamers and games. So does disabling cores on i5/i7 enhance overclocking at all?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalten View Post
    Riddle me this, how does i5 and i7 like having cores disabled? I've built several i5 systems but never played with disabling cores in the BIOS, though i've seen the options. I'm thinking slashing that 6 cores down to 4 with more MHZ would be better for most gamers and games. So does disabling cores on i5/i7 enhance overclocking at all?
    Intel does not do this, only AMD does. The core option i have does let me control cores but only the core that are there. On the i9 sample i had the core option showed 6 cores and i could disable which ever i wanted except C0.

I dont know if it will be a consumer feature or if its only for debugging/testing.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Intel does not do this, only AMD does. The core option i have does let me control cores but only the core that are there. On the i9 sample i had the core option showed 6 cores and i could disable which ever i wanted except C0.

I dont know if it will be a consumer feature or if its only for debugging/testing.
    It's definately a production consumer feature for i5 cores, at least on Gigabyte p55 boards that' i've used. I'm curious if anyone has disabled 2 cores on something like like an i5 750 and gotten a higher overclock?? or just lower temps at least to prove it's really using less power??

Man this thing is a beast cant wait
    Black Knight <°))))><™

My System: Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D, Cpu: Intel Core i7 970, Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Formula, GPU: Evga GTX 580 SLI, Memory: 6GB 2000Mhz Corsair Dominator GT, Hard Drive: Intel X25-M 160GB - WD 4TB Storage, PSU: Corsair AX1200W, CPU Heatsink: Custom H2O, Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX, Display: Samsung 24" 2493HM, Speakers: Logitech Z-5500, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post

What a crock. I can disable 2 or 3 cores on my P6T Deluxe. Works great with no problems (you can even combine it w/ and w/o HT to target a specific number of threads).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dan7777 View Post
    so all round which is beter having HT 0n or HT off ???
    It seems to depend. It's nowhere near seemless that's for sure. It's not something a regular consumer should have to worry about. If someone bought a box off the shelf, you'd think they would be more than a little upset if they found out that performance was degraded in their daily activities due to HT. It is not an optimal solution that's for sure, far from it. You'd have to have more than a basic understanding of your computer to be able to adjust your settings(turn HT on or off), depending on what application you are running. Seems very deceptive to consumers.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by mstp2009 View Post
    What a crock. I can disable 2 or 3 cores on my P6T Deluxe. Works great with no problems (you can even combine it w/ and w/o HT to target a specific number of threads).
    I think he meant Intel does not disable cores (be them bad or good or otherwise) simply to put a new sku on the market. I.e. you will not see an Intel triple core on the market, even though native quad cores are on the market.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by flippin_waffles View Post
    It seems to depend. It's nowhere near seemless that's for sure. It's not something a regular consumer should have to worry about. If someone bought a box off the shelf, you'd think they would be more than a little upset if they found out that performance was degraded in their daily activities due to HT. It is not an optimal solution that's for sure, far from it. You'd have to have more than a basic understanding of your computer to be able to adjust your settings(turn HT on or off), depending on what application you are running. Seems very deceptive to consumers.
    Yeah BS at its finest... I dare to say that in more then 90% all cases HT doesn't degrade performance, but only adds to it. The other 10% have such a minimal impact (less then 5% degration in performance) that you dont even notice it. Even with that 5% degration ist still faster then the previous generation C2Q... i don't really see whats deceptive here....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast