Thread: What if Earth had Saturn's rings?

Xtreme Enthusiast

What if Earth had Saturn's rings?

http://www.wimp.com/earthrings

Certainly would make things more interesting

of the Strawhat crew.
    Wow, thanks for the link. I think it would be pretty cool but I'm sure it'd be nothing special because we'd be used to it.

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Addict
    thanks for that
    i5-750 w/ Thermalright Ultra120X
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    MSI GD65
    2x2GB G.skill Cas7 1600MHz
    Sapphire HD6870
    Western Digital 640GB.AAKS
    2x Samsung F1 1TB
    2x Samsung SLC 64GB SSD
    Pioneer DVR-212BK
    Corsair HX620W
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music (dead, using onboard -.-)
    LG W2286L

Engineering The Xtreme
    would be really interesting to see the changes in religion and mythology in a world with rings cool vid

Xtremeish
    Something tells me this might be a for satellites?
    That in mind, I think it also would be a for star gazing, because of the extra light pollution.

Cool video though, it sure is pure eye candy.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    lol...

|-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

XS - Extra Strong
    Looks beautiful. Reminds me of cowboy bebop.
    -Phenom2 x6 1055 @stock
    -8gb ddr3
    -Gigabyte UD3
    -Geforce 7900Gt 755/1863 1.562v vgpu
    -OCZ Powersupply 600w

It is
    Stunning.
    ~Opinion about Dogs~~~~~~~Hug~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~

Ya, Here's the thing though. Saturn is Huge. And their rings are huge. If we had saturns rings (same size) they would be way way out form the eath with the earth as a very small planet in the middle. He hasn't scaled it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    Ya, Here's the thing though. Saturn is Huge. And their rings are huge. If we had saturns rings (same size) they would be way way out form the eath with the earth as a very small planet in the middle. He hasn't scaled it.
    He says at the end he used Roche's limit to determine the size of the rings, as Earth couldn't support rings the size of Saturn's.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    would be really interesting to see the changes in religion and mythology in a world with rings cool vid
    spot on.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    I was going to post this. The rings would not look anywhere similar due to the vast differences in size and mass between earth and Saturn.

In addition, the Earth is many times warmer than Saturn, and has a much stronger solar wind. Ring systems would not really survive being at 1 AU the way they do in the outer solar system. This is a good thing, since rings would probably make life on Earth much less likely to evolve and survive.

The earth used to have rings, and they coalesced into our only satellite, the Moon.

Xtreme Member
    Um, I don't see how rings would make life less likely to evolve or survive. Life probably would have evolved a little different since night would be brighter and there would be bands around the equator where day was a little darker, but I don't see how rings would stop it.

Doesn't really matter though... it's still a cool animation.
    ASUS Maximus VI Impact | Intel Core i7 4770k | Sapphire HD 5870 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | Corsair 760AX

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulten View Post
    Um, I don't see how rings would make life less likely to evolve or survive. Life probably would have evolved a little different since night would be brighter and there would be bands around the equator where day was a little darker, but I don't see how rings would stop it.
    Consider the impacts recorded by the moon. Similar bodies striking rings around Earth would have created lots of showers and radiation on the Earth. I think this would have had a detrimental effect on early life.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    nice! if we keep sending up satellites into orbit and litter our gravitational neighbourhood with some more rocket debris we might end up with some nice rings like that

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    Consider the impacts recorded by the moon. Similar bodies striking rings around Earth would have created lots of showers and radiation on the Earth. I think this would have had a detrimental effect on early life.
    Reasonable assumption... though any debris rained down would be small enough it should burn up in the atmosphere, but we've seen some junk in Saturn's ring big enough it could do damage if it hit Earth. I see where you are coming from.
    ASUS Maximus VI Impact | Intel Core i7 4770k | Sapphire HD 5870 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | Corsair 760AX

Xtreme Mentor
    Scientifically speaking, I don't believe planetary rings can even exist around a terrestrial planet such as ours. Having said that, it would absolutely amazing to see such a sight.

I've always thought it would be fascinating to have a moon close enough to our planet that it took up a large percent of our sky, say ~10%. Better yet, two or more such moons with different colors!

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Cruncher
    He's wrong about the whole thing being lit at night. The earth's shadow would eclipse part of it all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] 2long4u View Post
    He's wrong about the whole thing being lit at night. The earth's shadow would eclipse part of it all the time.
    well if we are to translate his statement into that all of it would always be lit, then yes you are correct.

But if we were to parse it that it would shine just like the moon; thus shine only when not being blocked by the earth.

Also I don't believe they included the effect of the moon's gravity into their equations.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    I think the rings look better on Saturn then on Earth.

Sure we'd get used to it, but would you really like to have some lines drawn across the sky at all times? Religions would've evolved into "in the beggining we were all drawn and we can still see the lines our Creator used".

Generalizations are, in general, wrong.

Xtreme Cruncher
    There would be an eclipse in part of the ring system that would move across the sky like the moon does now.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gallardo View Post
    I think the rings look better on Saturn then on Earth.

Sure we'd get used to it, but would you really like to have some lines drawn across the sky at all times? Religions would've evolved into "in the beggining we were all drawn and we can still see the lines our Creator used".

Or that aliens beamed humans down to earth thousands of years ago good 'ol LOE...

Xtreme Member
    You know, very cool but also creepy.

Xtreme Addict
    They would likely not be as thick and extensive as those of Saturn.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    ............................and would they be made of cheese ike the moon lol
    Respec'
    System:Bunch of crappy overclocked PC's that cost an arm and a leg