Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloodrage sensitivity to dirty power

Bloodrage sensitivity to dirty power

I have been having crazy USB issues with my board, so first tried stock clock settings, same, system USB backpanel ports occasionally would not be recognized on startup. Tried going from P09 to P06 to P03, same. A while back I had taken the system off the UPS as at 4 ghz it pulled too much through it (rated 650v) and scream overvolt and commence shutdown. I reconnected the UPS using P09 at stock speed for CPU and memory and viola', no more USB gremlins! The UPS (Belkin) also has power conditioning.
    Now its time to get a bigger UPS toget back to 4 ghz.

Just thought I'd share, this took a while to sort out and I debated ditchng the board. Glad I stuck with it!
    Foxconn Blood Rage rev 1.1 P11
    I7 920 C0@4.018 GHz
    Coolermaster HAF
    Coolermaster V8
    Mushkin Enhanced Redline 12 GB kit @1524
    eVGA 8800GT
    Corsair TX650W
    Kingston SNV425S264 64 GB SSD
    2xWD 500GB, 2xWD 1TB
    LG LH-20A1L

Xtreme Addict
    Yea I have similar (but weaker) issues due "dirty power". One needs either superb PSU or UPS with power conditioning. Ideal is both. I need UPS for that too.. Thanks for sharing anyway.
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hmmm i thought a ups only works like a battery and kicks in once power fails or fluctuates?
    but your describing it as if it constantly has all power flow through it? doesn't it waste additional power all the time then?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    hmmm i thought a ups only works like a battery and kicks in once power fails or fluctuates?
    but your describing it as if it constantly has all power flow through it? doesn't it waste additional power all the time then?
    An Online UPS ( UPS come in 3 flavors, backup, line-interactive and online ) provides the power to the plugged in components the whole time.
    I doubt he has an online ups, but that's another thing

I've never faced any USB issues on the BloodRage, nor with any other board as well, even with cr*ppy PSUs.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Its got power conditioning built in and can be "adjusted" through the Belkin Bulldog software. I havent had the chance to pick up a Kill-a-Watt to see how the power coming out of the wall is, but judging by the cheapness of the unit my landlord rehabbed, probably not the best components in the wall.
    Foxconn Blood Rage rev 1.1 P11
    I7 920 C0@4.018 GHz
    Coolermaster HAF
    Coolermaster V8
    Mushkin Enhanced Redline 12 GB kit @1524
    eVGA 8800GT
    Corsair TX650W
    Kingston SNV425S264 64 GB SSD
    2xWD 500GB, 2xWD 1TB
    LG LH-20A1L

Xtreme Addict
    Be glad that you don´t have aluminium wires in wall.. I do.. (in modern times, all electricity is in copper.. well, this is 40yrs old building at least.. seems that lots of wiring here too..)
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme X.I.P.
    wow, they made power lines out of alu at some point?
    and usb probs... might be 5vsb related?

Xtreme Addict
    Yea made.. like 40 yrs ago.. Probably not in any civilized country, but I don´t think that country which suffered from communistic dictature can be considered as "civilized". We were under SSSR for long time.. maybe too long. But thats different story. End result is - aluminium wires in wall. And sometimes melting power points, or burning and such nice things..
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Xtreme X.I.P.
    cool... cool... youtube link pls hahaha

Technician
    Same issue here but I know my PSU is underpowered for the job. My rig goes through phases of misbehaving usually ending in windows being reinstalled. I regularly suffer with my keyboard not being recognised until unplugged and plugged back in again. Its pulled another such blinder at the moment and wont boot to desktop anymore. Safe mode is fine. Couple of nights ago i crashed and restarted - froze just before the desktop appears with the windows logo. Tried all sorts of different combinations of overclocks and then went back to stock - still wouldnt boot to windows. Tried booting to safe mode, immeadiately rebooted to normal windows and it was fine. I then started overclocking again and quickly hit the same issue - quick boot into safe mode and all was fine again. I left it running prime at 4.7ghz overnight, came down in the morning and it had frozen after 3hrs 49mins. Switched it off and went to work. Now it just wont boot to windows no matter what. I can get to safe mode but it always freezes just before the desktop appears.

Previously I've had all sorts of weirdness like randomly disappearing master boot record on the SSD (solved by buying a laptop hdd to use for swap file and mbr), freezes with repeating audio and odd BSOD's. Most of the time this happens after the house lights dim - so yeah evidence of bad power supply. Problem is a UPS to power my rig would cost me stupid money.

Something is niggling at me this time saying its gfx card related, don't know why though. Need to investigate tonight. Im convinced the root cause of all my issues though is poor electrical supply.

But yeah, my BR is a 24/7 system, but unfortunately not a 365 day a year system. I spose you could call it ticklish.

Technician
    8 hours unplugged and a force reset press and its back up and running perfectly...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    mhhhh odd...
    sounds like 5vsb as well...
    is it possible to boost 5vsb by connecting it to 5v?
    i mean the problems you guys have is with the board running, not in standby mode... so using 5v instead of 5vsb should work?
    i remember that my 5vsb was too weak a few years ago for my dfi nf4 board and it had a jumper to switch to 5v instead of 5vsb, and voila, no more usb related problems...

Technician
    I reckon the BR likes more than 3amps on the 5vsb line. The only thing in common that I can see with all these problems is a standard ampage vsb line. Next psu im looking for 4.5a+ 5vsb.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i told the engineers to not pull a lot from 5vsb... exactly because i remembered the dfi 5vsb issue... and they said theyd take care...
    then again they said that for many things and didnt do it at all :/
    and conidering that many psus have a 5vsb line that is rather below spec than above... i wouldnt be surprised if this has to do with the usb pickyness of BR...

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by PiLsY View Post
    I reckon the BR likes more than 3amps on the 5vsb line. The only thing in common that I can see with all these problems is a standard ampage vsb line. Next psu im looking for 4.5a+ 5vsb.
    I don't think so.
    It worked fine with all the USB slots utilized and a Corsair HX620 ( 620W, 3A @ 5Vsb )

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme X.I.P.
    did you check S3/S4 resume and all while having lots of USB stuff connected?
    maybe im wrong then...

Technician
    Only happens when heavily overclocked. I suspect if you push that rig to the limit of the power supply you'll see similar issues. Don't need lots of usb connected, I only have a keyboard and mouse, both running off the same hub pair.

Xtreme Member
    United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurika, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    An Online UPS ( UPS come in 3 flavors, backup, line-interactive and online ) provides the power to the plugged in components the whole time.
    I doubt he has an online ups, but that's another thing
    Well gents, there are other brands out there, but I can recommend the TrippLite double-conversion UPS's 100% - like the SmartOnline Tower UPS. Why screw around with cheap or half-arsed UPS's if you have to depend on your PC's, or if you're going to o/c a lot on a regular basis?

The SU-x000 series gives you actual pure sine-wave AC, not simulated sine AC, which can stress and even burn out some AC components over time. Plus, you get surge suppression and all the rest, and I must say TrippLite's PowerAlert software actually works well. Also shows your real wattage output, line input volts & Hz, w/o needing a Kill-A-Watt gizmo.

Spend the $$ once on a unit that's as large as you think you'll ever need and then no worries. Just battery replacement every few years is all.

AUDIO-ASUS Xonar DX SPKR-audioengine 5 CASE-Cooler Master Stacker RC-810-SSN1 CPU-E8400 - Q815 @ 4 GHz @ 1.23V FANS-Noctua GPU-EVGA GTX 660/2GB HDD-Raptor 150 ADFD + WD1600YS HSF-Noctua NH-U12 LCD-NEC 20WMGX² @ 1680x1050 MOBO-abit IP35 Pro - BIOS 16 + bolt mod OS-XP Pro x64 PSU-XFX 750W Black Edition RAM-G.Skill PC2-8800 Pi 2x2GB @ 1,128 @ 1.92v TIM-Arctic Cooling MX-2 UPS-TRIPPLITE SU1000XLa + Noctua fan mod

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    did you check S3/S4 resume and all while having lots of USB stuff connected?
    maybe im wrong then...
    Yes, and it was working fine.

Only happens when heavily overclocked. I suspect if you push that rig to the limit of the power supply you'll see similar issues. Don't need lots of usb connected, I only have a keyboard and mouse, both running off the same hub pair.
    What makes you think that my rig wasn't overclocked ?
    Voltage Hungry i7 920 @ 4.2GHz, 6GB DDR3 Micron D9GTR @ 2.25V, GTX 280 SLI OCed [ cards on stock cooler ], X-Fi Fatal1ty & lots of HDDs.

Xtreme Addict
    2.25V vDIMM? Urgh thats at least 1.7V VTT, right? Cooled with phase?
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Mescalamba View Post
    2.25V vDIMM? Urgh thats at least 1.7V VTT, right? Cooled with phase?
    1.75Vtt, 2.25Vdimm

lapped ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme 4TW

Technician
    Nah wasn't suggesting that, was just pointing out that I think its down to current draw in general rather than amount of usb devices plugged in.

Even so 4.2ghz isnt a big overclock tbh. I hit this issue over about 4.5 and get it 50/50 on boot at 4.7 or higher. Its worse if its a reset after a stability test freeze. Im almost guaranteed to have no usb until I reset again.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Nah wasn't suggesting that, was just pointing out that I think its down to current draw in general rather than amount of usb devices plugged in.

Even so 4.2ghz isnt a big overclock tbh. I hit this issue over about 4.5 and get it 50/50 on boot at 4.7 or higher. Its worse if its a reset after a stability test freeze. Im almost guaranteed to have no usb until I reset again.
    High BCLK with PCIe BUS freq ?
    Unstable system ?
    If yes, then it's not the PSU's fault neither a "dirty power" issue, system instability can cause the USB Controller to malfunction.

Technician
    Nope - PCIe @ 100 to 102 max. Bclk, not tried for 24/7 stability at anything over 204mhz yet.

Im well over the limit of my Silencer 750w psu as I get an OCP shutdown if I run furmark, superpi32m on core0 and linx on core 1,2,3. I'm looking at either a Silencer 910w, TX950w or Z-Series 1000w Gold (if I can find one in stock anywhere in the UK - grrr).

My house mains also suck - flickering / dimming lights is frequent (and when they do I get coil whistle/whine from the psu).

Just a combination of factors - I'm not blaming the board, just hypothesising that you need a comination of factors to create enough pull on the PSU for this to happen, and that its not infact related to how many devices are connected to the USB ports.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yeah... the uk is really a place where youd want a UPS... not so much for backup purposes, but to filter power...
    when i lived in the uk we had to buy a 6pack of lightbulbs a month, sometimes more
    and we had 2 psus and one laptop psu die on us in that house... the neighbours had the same problems...
    oh the tv broke as well now that i think of it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast