Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread: Project Slumber Parties UPDATED 11-19-09 10:05PM

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    I think you are past this, but I am still puzzling over what you mean?
    I am past the thought of worry in the matter.

My thoughts were the key hardware needs to be installed with blocks so I can get the proper lengths of tubing cut. After that point my thoughts were to remove the blocks and pull the hardware out: mobo and gpu. Then run the pumps to check for leaks.

I believe I can leave the hardware installed though with no power to them while the loops are being tested a few days for leaks. That way all they have to do is dry out a couple of days if a leak springs up.

I can't do any of this though until mid next week when my lapping kit arrives. The replacement resistors I would think should arrive tomorrow since I paid extra for priority mail and they were shipped on the 12th.
    Hopefully out of 10 resistors I'll get one soldered on without loosing it. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by SkItZo View Post
    Any worklog of the girl in your avatar?
    HEAT
    EBAY

Project Slumber Parties aka PSP Liquid Cooling Work Log

I see ... here's the "safe" way to do it:

1) After cleaning all parts, hook up your loop outside the PC - connecting waterblocks / pump / res / radiator using spare tubing - or pieces cut a bit longer than you will need. Power up the pump and run it overnight to make sure there are no leaks.

2) Install waterblocks, place reservoir and radiator, and then route tubing. Connect everything in your water cooling loop (not electronics) and make sure your fittings are tightened.

3) Place paper towels under/around waterblocks - you can skip this, but it's a good way also to see small leaks, if the paper gets wet.

4) Power up the pump by jumpering the PSU (or a spare PSU), making sure no other hardware is connected to the PSU except fans.

edited to take into consideration churchy's points for possible confusion
    Last edited by shazza; 11-14-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    To not let him to misunderstand
    4) .. no power is going to the other components because they should not be connected yet (except pump of course) during leak-test phase, not because of way PSU gets started up by shortening needed two pins, otherwise by (2)'s "Connect everything" he might misunderstand.

Xtreme Enthusiast

11-15-10 Board fixed BIG PROBLEMS!!!

Well got the resistors in and fixed the Rage on the first shot. Installed the board then the cpu block and NB block went to install the gpu to see if I should make the fittings for the internal rad be in front or the rear of the case and was star struck by this missfortune.

I had no way of knowing this really with ordering all the parts while the case was in pieces at the powder coaters. Just as I thought I was on the home stretch I hit this snag that I really don't know how to fix/workaround other then smaller reservoirs.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Guru
    Hmm. Try horizontal placement above motherboard? Or at the back of case, above cards, if there is enough clearance.
    And how high is 5.25 bay slot enclosure - not enough for res? (especially if you make round hole in it's bottom to half-sink res below 5.25 bay floor ..)
    Though if there enough clearance among sidewall and card, maybe you can attach res clamps to sidewall (currently taken off in this pic)?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Those would be some of my suggestions also....how about a picture a little further back so one can see the "whole" mobo area?
    As of 04/29/11
    Celtic Spirit >> (Under Construction / WC’ed) >> Antec SX1200, MSI 890GXM-E65, PII X6 1055T, 2 x GTX 285s, HDDs (TBD), 2 x G.S. F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, OCZ 700W Modular, XP Pro SP2
    KestrelFlight v1.0 >> (To Be WC’ed v2.0) Zalman Z7+, MSI NF980-G65, PII X4 1055T, 2 x Galaxy 580GTXs, Zalman 32GB SSD, WD V'Raptor 300GB, G.S. F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD, Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus , Win7
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Hmm. Try horizontal placement above motherboard? Or at the back of case, above cards, if there is enough clearance.
    And how high is 5.25 bay slot enclosure - not enough for res? (especially if you make round hole in it's bottom to half-sink res below 5.25 bay floor ..)
    Though if there enough clearance among sidewall and card, maybe you can attach res clamps to sidewall (currently taken off in this pic)?
    Radiator is in that location (not seen in pic since its out of the case currently)
    can't go at the back
    Won't fit in 5.25 not taking case apart to use a hole saw among other things.
    side panel has a window.

These reservoirs were purchase to feed two res tops. I used male to male BP fittings in the top of each XSPC res top and threaded the FrozenQ reservoirs straight down on each one.

To the post above this one I can't take a shot further out as it will show the big reveal I have been holding off on. so what you see is what you get. LOL
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Guru
    Side panel has window .. but res mounting clamps are transparent, are they not? Will bolting them on window hurt looks that much?
    Another option is to mount horizontally on middle floor (below gpu).
    Though i wonder if there won't rise some problems with bleeding if res is mounted horizontally. :/

I've seen some builds with res mounted outside, but that would be step back imho.
    Then, if no other options, sell to someone res and buy shorter one.

Xtreme Enthusiast

12-15-10 New FrozenQ reservoirs back to work....

12-15-10 New reservoirs from FrozenQ so time to get back to work

I can't believe to this day its been a month since I last updated and had a chance to do anything with the build. :-(

More or less 2 weeks ago I received a package from FrozenQ and really only had a chance to open it to make sure they weren't in pieces. I didn't get around to removing them from the bubble wrap or anything until today. I believe the day they arrived I was:

1. raking leaves and moving them to compost
    2. Setting up X-Mas lights outside

So I've been very busy with two trees inside an 18 foot tree outside and everything else doing laundry shopping for X-Mas gifts. I just finished wrapping the last of them for now yesterday. My fiancee and I helped out at the local Toys For Tots drop off in the Highlands where she was on the news on Fox. Then on Monday we were on the news again at the Toys For Tots warehouse which we will be back at tomorrow and then again on Sunday helping sort and box toys. So its a very busy time of year for us.

Since today was a free day since presents are done and laundry is more or less caught up I wanted to set myself in attack mode and get some work done. So now that the following has been delivered I need to get to work.......

So hopefully I will get up some pics of some working water cooling gear later tonight.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I can't find my EK block for my 5870 LOL I hope the card is a little shorter when the shroud and everything from factory is removed. It barely clears the fill fittings in the top of the FrozenQ reservoirs. The intake fittings need to point somewhat toward the card itself since the tubing will be coming from the rear of the case. :-(
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    scgt1 what do you think of the FrozenQs?? Thinking of getting one for a build.
    As of 04/29/11
    Celtic Spirit >> (Under Construction / WC’ed) >> Antec SX1200, MSI 890GXM-E65, PII X6 1055T, 2 x GTX 285s, HDDs (TBD), 2 x G.S. F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, OCZ 700W Modular, XP Pro SP2
    KestrelFlight v1.0 >> (To Be WC’ed v2.0) Zalman Z7+, MSI NF980-G65, PII X4 1055T, 2 x Galaxy 580GTXs, Zalman 32GB SSD, WD V'Raptor 300GB, G.S. F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD, Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus , Win7
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jedihobbit View Post
    scgt1 what do you think of the FrozenQs?? Thinking of getting one for a build.
    I'm quite happy with them myself although I've only had them running while working out bubbles for maybe the last 2 hours. I haven't ran power to the lights yet since I have the pumps and 11 fans ghetto rigged to keep the water temp down for the pumps overnight while I check for leaks. So far though everything is looking good. Will update after I upload a few pics.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast

12-16-10 Leak Testing

12-16-10 Leak testing
    Well its just shy of 2am I found my block in the Rage box. Have the cooling loops running all night to check for leaks so far the cpu/nb block loop are fine and have been for about 2 hours. Only leak was the out for the XSPC res top. Little crank on the fitting and all is good. So both loops are cranking away with fans on the rads to keep the temps down with the pumps heat output. Will up a pic tomorrow just too dang tired.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Addict
    Take a break and start again tomorrow. What's one more day in the grand scheme of things?

I'm glad you got the res problem corrected. Also, how was your experience mounting the GP WB to your card? I found that using the EK backplate made it much much easier to mount the 5870FC WB.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    Take a break and start again tomorrow. What's one more day in the grand scheme of things?

I'm glad you got the res problem corrected. Also, how was your experience mounting the GP WB to your card? I found that using the EK backplate made it much much easier to mount the 5870FC WB.
    Yeah utilizing the EK backplate made it a breeze.

No leaks and both reservoirs are full so I worked all the air our before bed this morning. Just finished wrapping the rest of the cpu nb loop with anti kink coils. I guess since I already ran the gpu tubing for the rad out the rear I will leave that loop just white tubing. I won't be able the coil it unless I pull all that tubing back through the holes in the back of the case. That's saying the antispill Koolance fittings fill even fit through the holes.

I kinda like the way it looks as is.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    and as Vinas says as I've done some "interesting" things with a 'puter or two while "sleep deprived'!!
    As of 04/29/11

Xtreme Enthusiast
    New build log coming. This one never was finished and the hardware was changed out from 920/bloodrage--->>>3770K Maximus V Formy. New case will be with 4770K and Maximus VI Formy. Most of the same parts will be used but not powdercoating this one or doing cnc work. Once you cnc your stuck with the outcome. My fiance no longer does Slumber Parties and the business has been bought out. So it's finally time to move on.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910