Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Slumber Parties UPDATED 11-19-09 10:05PM

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    Hurry up and get it done so you can help us fold :-)
    Well I can do that actually when I return. I don't want to leave it on while we aren't home for almost a week. Its setup in a temporary setup since I got tired of using my laptop for everything and I thought I would get a start at installing all the games again. I mean ALL the games. Not sure the count I'm up to yet, but I'm getting there lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkItZo View Post
    Any worklog of the girl in your avatar?
    HEAT
    EBAY

Project Slumber Parties aka PSP Liquid Cooling Work Log

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok well we have been back from New Orleans for a week now and I know I said I would get photos uploaded. Well I was busy half of the time shuttling girls back and forth to the airport. Wednesday on 2 hours sleep I ended up driving the 514 miles there then shuttling 12 miles back and forth to the airport and the hotel Slumber Parties girls from 2pm till 8pm. Then started again the next day. Then we were busy around town since she didn't go to many of the class's. Come Sunday early like 3 am early I started shuttling girls back to the airport until around 5pm. Then we had to check out during the day by noon and at 5 we moved our stuff to another cheaper hotel. ($50 beats $210)

Monday morning we had more to shuttle at 3 am again until 10 which was our cutoff so we could beat traffic home. We ended up arriving Monday evening at around 8pm. All in all the shuttling panned out great with making over $600 just for shuttling girls. Total miles for just the shuttle was 723.

It took 3 days to get back on sleeping schedule and get over all the driving.

While in the hotel room we didn't have wireless internet so in the minimal down time I had I wasn't able to head downstairs and use the internet to even upload anything. :-( So I brought some parts with me to take photos for nothing since I never even got a chance to take those either.

Today I got half of the plants in the ground so now I'm fixing to upload and I'm logged into photobucket. So there WILL be updates tonight.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by scgt1 View Post
    Well I was busy half of the time shuttling girls back and forth to the airport.
    I think this excuse will suffice ... for now
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So I jumped on a Group buy on EVGA forums for some MDPC sleeving.

Now this is what the crap job Enermax does with their sleeving. Why they don't match the ps with at least a red or white stripe instead of the god awfull yellow.

Now keep in mind this was my first go at sleeving. I had to make my own atx pin remover since the first time I went to use the one I purchased from PerPCS it broke a prong off. (I do not recommend AC Ryan ATX pin extractors. They are very cheaply made and supposidly are bendable. LOL Yea a dremel and a surgical steel pair of Tweezers faired much better and are still in one piece for the next stuff I have to sleeve. This whole process took me a week with several hours a day on the couch wearing out my fingers. I went through a brand new lighter and had to go pick up another one before the process was finished. I also had to pick up large black shrink wrap since I didn't think to order that on the GP. Homedepot shrink wrap is nothing like what MDPC sells thats for sure. Its much firmer and doesn't shrink as easily. :-(

Next up Cherry Batch I7 920
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    I think this excuse will suffice ... for now

HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This baby is said to do 4.7+ on water. I had a bit of an ordeal with this thing. It was sold as a retail boxed cpu. One would think it would contain a hsf. Especially for $240 with Microcenter being 30 minutes away and having them for $199.99. I picked up this one because all the batch chips that MC was having at the time were crap and no one had good results. I wanted a good chip that was a proven overclocker. Now since I didn't have a cooler upon receipt of this I had to drive to Frys and see what I could come up with and still clear the much too close mem bank 1 on my Rage with DOM GT's. Needless to say I made several trips to Frys until breaking down and spending $60 on a temporary cooler (CM V8) Needless to say the next day they had it on sale. So back I went to get them to modify it and so I could get the rebate form. So in the end it will only be $29.99. Damn good price for a very decent cooler.

In the meantime I had a 1366 bracket on order for my Zalman 9700LED from my old game rig. I just couldn't wait for it to test the cpu out which is how I ended up with the V8. Then I find the nice looking Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme. This makes me bash my head in the wall. Yea its temporary but damn it looks much better then the V8 and when I do my fiances computer I intend on just going air since she hasn't even touched the one she has now for well over 6 months. Ever since I got her a netbook for her business. Go figure!

So without further delay.......

3939B078
    I of course had to play with it and see just how good the CM V8 was at cooling. I hit 4.4 and still passed the Intel burn test on max. It wouldn't pass higher then that because of temps. I was succesful at a good windows boot at 4.6ghz with idle at 44C just sky rocketed under testing to where my threshold in the bios shut the computer down. So I backed it down from there trying to find the safe spot with mediocre temps on the V8.

This I believe will be a very nice chip and if on DICE or phase I'm sure will do well over 5ghz although I'm not going that route with cooling. Just a bit of water which I will get into further in the log.

Well hell! Looks like I need to move the pieces of the case out of the light box so I can take more pictures. I swore I had alot more then what I just uploaded. I don't want to give information without pictures to follow with the info so next update in a hour or so.
    Last edited by scgt1; 04-27-2010 at 06:38 PM.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Now for some Watercooling gear:
    Snagged these puppies off here in the FS section.

Mix of BP Straights and Fesser 45s
    These I picked up from two different sellers here also:

Mental note to self: Pick up pipe cleaners at a craft store. Sheesh!

Now I didn't like the Yate Loons that I got in a package deal looking just black. I wanted to incorporate the theme into the build.
    So I decided to paint the fans red. I had a fun time sanding down the face of each fan. They had 3 spots on each of the 6 fans that had letters and indentions. I wanted them to look smooth and didn't want that imperfection. I then tried to use the Krylon Fusions paint since they are plastic. Well apparently there was something on the fan blades because the paint would NOT adhere in small circles all over each fan. So I tryed to use gray primer. Same effect.

So I was sitting out in the garage at a loss with spotted fans trying to figure out what to do. Then it hit me. The hammered steel black leaves that effect on surfaces. So I shot each fan with the black hammered steel to give the spotted/dimpled effect all across each fan blade and face. Thankfully it has something in it that caused the paint to adhere to the spots nothing else would anyway. I then shot the blades with red and ended up with this:

I'll have to wait and see how the perform on the rads when the time comes to assemble the wc setups. Which will be sometime after Small Claims Court with the powdercoater or I find a Haf932 for sub $100 to start over. Which is what I will do anyway. Start over and do it myself with paint again like I did the first time. Only I wont use Glaze so I wont get runs. LOL

I may end up getting Enermax Magma fans, but at $111 +shipping for 7 total (1 for rear exhaust) thats alot of money added to the build although I haven't really skimped out yet so what the hell. I'll see if they perform ok with the paint on them and go from there.

This is all for now until I get some more expensive goodies in the mail this week. I'm up to $775 on this weeks expenditures. I should be receiving 3 of the items tomorrow or the following day from USPS then another 2 items on Monday. Those two items on Monday will be fun to try and incorporate into the mix, but they HAVE to be used. No questions asked!
    HEAT
    EBAY

Those look like completely different fans! I like 'em!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezly View Post
    Those look like completely different fans! I like 'em!
    Thanks!

One of a kind. You watch now everyone will copy me. LOL I should get them patented or something.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Shazza did her GT's in red a while ago too... They still look like GT's though...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezly View Post
    Shazza did her GT's in red a while ago too... They still look like GT's though...
    I was refering to the hammered steel look. I know several people have done theirs in red. Now that I'm thinking of it I may change 3 of the fans to white to off set some since the inside will be all red. HMMMM Things to ponder......
    HEAT
    EBAY

I was refering to the hammered steel look. I know several people have done theirs in red. Now that I'm thinking of it I may change 3 of the fans to white to off set some since the inside will be all red. HMMMM Things to ponder......
    Oh yes, this is true. I overlooked that detail.

White might be nice.

Let the pondering continue...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Got one of those nifty package thingies in the mail today.

Going to try using this as a Physx card and see what happens.

Now for the real stuff:

For when I get the case issue all sorted out in court and get it redone and move to water:

Thats it for now. I should have another box come in tomorrow from California and I'll have some more pictures up.

Speaking of pictures. JESUS! I've gotten bad with camera placement, settings, or something. These last two days of shots are real washed out and the lighting is really off. :-( Should have taken many photos of each with the laptop sitting on the table so I could check them and then move on. Oh well.

Time to shut the temp setup off and install some new toys.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looking real sweet......my only concern will be blade balance for the fans you painted!! Will watch to see what happens and if you don't have any balance issues, I'll need your secret for doing that as I'm batting .500 on painting fand!
    Last edited by jedihobbit; 04-28-2010 at 07:18 PM.
    As of 04/29/11
    Celtic Spirit >> (Under Construction / WC’ed) >> Antec SX1200, MSI 890GXM-E65, PII X6 1055T, 2 x GTX 285s, HDDs (TBD), 2 x G.S. F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, OCZ 700W Modular, XP Pro SP2
    KestrelFlight v1.0 >> (To Be WC’ed v2.0) Zalman Z7+, MSI NF980-G65, PII X4 1055T, 2 x Galaxy 580GTXs, Zalman 32GB SSD, WD V'Raptor 300GB, G.S. F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD, Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus , Win7
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jedihobbit View Post
    Looking real sweet......my only concern will be blade balance for the fans you painted!! Will watch to see what happens and if you don't have any balance issues, I'll need your secret for doing that as I'm batting .500 on painting fand!
    I've been half tempted to hook them up to a psu and see what happens so I don't put everything together when the time comes and find out they are noisy as hell. I mean heck they were pretty much free and are only sub $4.00 ea to replace. Although I wont go back with these if that is the case though. Like I said more or less those Enermax Magmas have my eye.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Another goodie should be here today:
    Detailed Results:

Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, April 29, 2010, 5:33 am, DALLAS, TX 75398
    Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, April 27, 2010, 12:19 pm, BELL, CA 90201
    Bullet Electronic Shipping Info Received, April 27, 2010
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sorry for no update yesterday. For some reason the postal system thought that they needed to pass Arlington by 30 minutes and take the package to the Dallas hub. Then leave it there all damn day long. Pretty funny considering the previous package was shipped from CA also and went to the Arlington hub. So this one is taking an extra day, but will be here today. Sometime after 2pm I'm sure.
    Arrival at Post Office, April 30, 2010, 4:38 am, ARLINGTON, TX 76004
    Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, April 29, 2010, 5:33 am, DALLAS, TX 75398
    Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, April 27, 2010, 12:19 pm, BELL, CA 90201
    Bullet Electronic Shipping Info Received, April 27, 2010
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Member
    Is this a how many pic's will fit in a thread contest? Wow thats alot of pictures. LOL keep up the GREAT work. Post 17 for any one counting.
    Last edited by Crazy V; 05-01-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy V View Post
    Is this a how many pic's will fit in a thread contest? Wow thats alot of pictures of the same thing. LOL keep up the GREAT work. Post 17 for any one counting.
    Hey post 17 I like to be in-depth. Not to mention I would rather have all photos uploaded and available somewhere since over the years I've had many hard drive crashes and lost tons of photos. Its also usually around the time I've been saying I really need to burn all those to disk sometime. Yet never do.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Member
    Hey post 17 I like to be in-depth. Not to mention I would rather have all photos uploaded and available somewhere since over the years I've had many hard drive crashes and lost tons of photos. Its also usually around the time I've been saying I really need to burn all those to disk sometime. Yet never do.
    I edited the post. I did not mean to offend you again with bad choices in words. Agreed, Backup's are great but we all do them to little.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No offense taken on your post. I don't get offended easily. That post I could tell you were joking. It seemed as it you were being rather rude about the young chaps build was all. Just the way it was worded and it was fairly late in the evening after a long day outside in the TX heat.

I lead a very busy life and have bad ADD. So It tends to slip my mind with all the other things I'm doing. LOL
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Member
    No offense taken on your post. I don't get offended easily. That post I could tell you were joking. It seemed as it you were being rather rude about the young chaps build was all. Just the way it was worded and it was fairly late in the evening after a long day outside in the TX heat.

I lead a very busy life and have bad ADD. So It tends to slip my mind with all the other things I'm doing. LOL
    I joke alot sometimes not think about how i say it. I am a female in a mans world here if that is not hard enough already. I often comment not think that everyone might not know what i am refering to. I also stay very busy and have a very bad case of bi polar so i know where you are coming from. We where bound to clash to much in common. LOL

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sorry, can't pass this up.............

"You don't have to be crazy in this hobby, but it help's!"

My excuse is old fartondom and bad typing.

I'm glad you have that nice EK to replace the funky looking gpu cover on the ATI!!
    As of 04/29/11
    Celtic Spirit >> (Under Construction / WC’ed) >> Antec SX1200, MSI 890GXM-E65, PII X6 1055T, 2 x GTX 285s, HDDs (TBD), 2 x G.S. F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, OCZ 700W Modular, XP Pro SP2
    KestrelFlight v1.0 >> (To Be WC’ed v2.0) Zalman Z7+, MSI NF980-G65, PII X4 1055T, 2 x Galaxy 580GTXs, Zalman 32GB SSD, WD V'Raptor 300GB, G.S. F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD, Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus , Win7
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy V View Post
    I joke alot sometimes not think about how i say it. I am a female in a mans world here if that is not hard enough already. I often comment not think that everyone might not know what i am refering to. I also stay very busy and have a very bad case of bi polar so i know where you are coming from. We where bound to clash to much in common. LOL
    PIX or you don't exist. LOL
    Bi polar...hmmmm....What woman doesn't.

By the way
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jedihobbit View Post
    Sorry, can't pass this up.............

"You don't have to be crazy in this hobby, but it help's!"

My excuse is old fartondom and bad typing.

I'm glad you have that nice EK to replace the funky looking gpu cover on the ATI!!
    I'm actually partial to the factory cooler. It matches the build. Although with me not having a $300 case or a Lian Li I don't have the ability to show off the fan side, but it still blends with the build very well. I've just spent way too much in wc gear to back out now on doing the gpu also. Especially with what I spent on the items that will arrive tomorrow via UPS.

Your gunna like em.

I just don't know how to fit everything in. LOL With having the case in pieces on the kitchen table waiting for court I can't size things up and see what I have to work with either. :-( Somehow I'll get it all working though somehow. Mc Giver (sp) at work.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast