Thread: ASUS EAH5970: Hail to the new KING !

Threaded View

Xtreme Addict

ASUS EAH5970: Hail to the new KING !

A couple days ago, I had the chance to acquire a rather interesting PDF, related with ASUS EAH5970 and Voltage Tweak Technology. Seems like we're dealing with a magnificent VGA that combines excellently, superb capabilities and amazing performance. Monstrosity in its true form ! I was taken aback that much, that I decided to write an article in HWBOX.gr regarding the new king.

First of all, let's do an overview of the product and its main selling points. Using advanced Voltage Tweak technology and ASUS SmartDoctor application, you will manage to raise stock GPU Clocks by 31%. DirectX 11 and Windows 7 are responsible for optimal picture quality, at least that's what ASUS is implying in the PDF. In her attempt to justify herself, ASUS included Colin McRAE DiRT 2 in the product bundle - "Most Anticipated DirectX 11 Game Bundle". Another interesting selling point, not only for Radeon HD 5970 but also for other 5800 series VGAs like 5870, is the support of Eyefinity Technology - up to 3 displays for that particular model. While we are on that, bear in mind that in order for multi-display eyefinity technology to work you will need a monitor with DisplayPort connector or a DVI connector along with a special adaptor. Hardcore users who aim for more than 3 monitors will have to wait for the special Eyefinity Edition of the card. PDF did not include photos of the VGA because it focused more on its special features, so I borrowed a few from techPowerUp ASUS EAH5970 2GB GDDR5 review

Left to right: NVIDIA Single PCB GeForce GTX295, Sapphire Radeon 4870X2, ASUS EAH5870, ASUS EAH5970

Some of you may wonder why AMD/ATi significantly decreased 5970 clocks. If so, take into consideration the fact that AMD/ATi had to abide by ATX Standards (300W). I am not going to go into details for vga specs, nothing new there. Instead, I'm going to elaborate on ASUS SmartDoctor a bit and its beneficial impact on your games or benchmarks. EAH 5970 stock clocks are 725/4000MHz @ 1.05V. At these clocks, a system with a Core i7 975 EE @ 3.33GHz produces 11506 Marks in 3DMark Vantage Extreme Preset. Increasing VGA clocks @ 950/5012MHz @ 1.35V resulting in X14039 and a considerable performance boost. Max ASUS SmartDoctor settings are 1.45V, 1000MHz core and 6000MHz memory. However, they aren't doable at all when using air cooling.

Take a look at some more ASUS EAH5970 exclusive features apart from SmartDoctor, like GameOSD or Splendid.

Source (more exclusive photos included): http://www.hwbox.gr/news/6781-asus-e...-grafikon.html

**The photos in this thread without hwbox watermark are courtesy of techPowerUp.
    Last edited by George_o/c; 11-18-2009 at 10:15 AM.