View Poll Results: What color should I paint my rad?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gloss BLACK

74 50.68%
  • Gloss RED

59 40.41%
  • Other (please reply to thread including color + finish e.g. gloss/matte/hammered...)

13 8.90%
Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Capella (Lian Li PC-P50R)

Xtreme Enthusiast

Project Capella (Lian Li PC-P50R)

Time for the next project.

Preface: The first part of this worklog will cover the case, watercooling, and any other necessary mini-projects that will ultimately go into the final build (e.g. wiring and sleeving come to mind). This part of the worklog will NOT cover the actual PC hardware (motherboard, CPU/GPU) because...well, simply put I have not decided what those parts will be exactly . Last I checked we're in the middle of an Intel tick cycle, going into tock with 32nm Westmere (or is it tock going into tick?). Lynnfield is surely bang for the buck but I'm holding out for the next process shrink...so Gulftown it will most likely be.

On the GPU front, right now the clear choice is 5870/5970-class, although I may have a problem with the 5970's length. Given the current Cypress yield and stock issues, it doesn't make sense to buy this now anyway. I will be waiting until either a) 5xxx stock is replenished and prices come back down, or b) Fermi/Larrabee deliver unexpected trumps, however unlikely (b) may be.

CAPELLA'S goal is to be a relatively compact, accessible, functionally simple, and easily maintained watercooled barebones rig. This might mean taking advantage of a few "bolt-on" parts (e.g. UN Designs bracket fit into this category IMHO, although they are very well designed and manufactured), but I am comfortable with that. Those who choose to view bolt-ons as the death knell of "modding" are free to do so. I enjoyed working on the MM Pinnacle but to be honest, it is not a creature-friendly case (10 screws to remove a side panel? no thanks). It's also not very pretty, though that is debatable. I intend to apply what I learned to like and dislike from the Pinnacle project to guide my approach to this build.

Let's start with the case: Lian Li PC-P50R

Nice red anodized trim on the aluminum front bezel. The branding sticker will have to go. There's modding potential on the top power/reset/usb plate.

Whew, what a loud side panel. I chose this case for the red anodized interior and (unfortunately) this side panel comes standard. It's well cut and etched for sure, but I'd prefer a more subtle window. At least the AMD marking is not too out of place, it'll have an ATI GPU.

Shot of the back, including two must-go QC stickers.

Very nice black-anodized vented slot covers.

Two 140s (red LED fans) on the top exhaust. They don't sit together flush, there's a 8~9mm gap in between, so ~25mm hole-to-hole maybe? I don't think a top mounted 280 would be feasible. There would be barely any space once the motherboard is in anyway.

Top bezel pops off as easily as the front, revealing the mounted 140s and the switches/ports panel. I hope there's space up here for a fillport.

Another red-LED 120 at the rear exhaust. I'm sure it looks nice but for sure it will be replaced.

Front bezel pops off revealing the vented and filtered drive bay blanks. I have another front panel idea for this build.

Here's the side panel removed and sitting on top. Let's dive inside shall we?

PSU is bottom mounted, you can see the filtered vents at the bottom there.

Red anodized aluminum tool-free PCI mounting clamps. Nicely designed, albeit over-engineered IMO.

This is the side of the main 5.25" drive bays. There are these mounts on both sides, which are used to mount some sorta divider plates. Lian Li users, any idea what these dividers are supposed to do exactly? Good place to start for side-HDD mounts at least.

Rear 120 exhaust with a nice anodized aluminum grill, I'll definitely hold on to that.

Ahhh...caveat. The anodizing is not perfect as you can see by that gray line.

The other side of the drive bays, same mounts for the divider plates. There's maybe a 1/2" gap between the back of the motherboard tray and the side panel, so cable routing might be challenging. On a side note I did a poor job on color-matching in these photos. This one happens to be closest to the actual red.

Thanks for looking, more to come!
    Last edited by Kibbler; 04-07-2010 at 12:51 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Parts

These will do nicely.

V1 of the V2 res. Koolance updated the top with knurls on the side for grip, the bottom with a black o-ring and split inlets it seems, and the acrylic tube with an integrated anti-vortex plate. I ordered this just before Koolance released the individual parts.

This is a clue to the color scheme.

Needs no introduction other than to say the backplate is perfectly fine, no loose threaded inserts. The machining on the pin-matrix could be better, but I'm not so picky.

Been waiting on this for a while...

Ahhh...now we can get to work.
    Last edited by Kibbler; 11-18-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I loved your Pinnacle build! I'm looking forward to seeing this one!

Subbed!

-TadZilla

P.S. What type of camera do you use to take your shots?

Xtreme Member
    sub's because i have a feeling this will be a real nice build.
    • Silverstone FT-01B
    • Corsair HX620
    • DFI LanParty DK 790FX-M2RS
    • AMD X2 6400+ BE w/ Thermalright Ultima 90 @ 3.2
    • 2 x 1 GB G.Skill DDR800(4-4-4-12)
    • 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 Dominator(4-4-4-12)
    • BFG Tech 9800GTX(stock cooling for now)
    • 2 - 250GB Seagate SATA

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TadZilla View Post
    I loved your Pinnacle build! I'm looking forward to seeing this one!

Subbed!

-TadZilla

P.S. What type of camera do you use to take your shots?
    Thanks TZ, I'll try to keep the updates coming free-flow. I'm shooting with a D90 + 50mm prime. 50mm is a bit tight on DX/APS-C but that works in my favor because a) I'm shooting in my apartment with no decent backdrop setup, so shooting at effectively 75mm leaves out any background clutter, and b) it's fast.

Quote Originally Posted by theToX View Post
    sub's because i have a feeling this will be a real nice build.
    Thanks theTox, I hope you will not be disappointed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Kibbs, I love your case shots!

Great presentation M8 - looking forward to more.

Loving it so far - know it's going to be another great one

Xtreme Member
    That case is pure sex, man that cherry red interior

Xtreme Member
    Love the case and the red anodized interior ...

I know you said you didnt know what system you are putting in the system, but with that AMD window decal are you leaning that way or is that window going to get moded also

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by charles_h View Post
    Kibbs, I love your case shots!

Great presentation M8 - looking forward to more.
    Thanks Charles, always happy to have your support. Man what I wouldn't do to have a large spare bedroom for a decent studio setup or an open rooftop like yours!!

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Loving it so far - know it's going to be another great one
    Thanks Shazza, and best of luck with your move.

Quote Originally Posted by V0id View Post
    That case is pure sex, man that cherry red interior
    Thanks for bringing to my attention that such an emoticon existed. Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by jpm804 View Post
    Love the case and the red anodized interior ...

I know you said you didnt know what system you are putting in the system, but with that AMD window decal are you leaning that way or is that window going to get moded also
    I'm actually leaning the other way (Intel), so the window/panel might get some changes. Not so much for the AMD, which like I said would match an ATI GPU so no big issue there, but the dragon motif doesn't match what I have in mind for the rest of the thing.

===

For Lightroom users: Here's a plug for LR2/Mogrify, an export/PP plugin. It can do inner and outer borders, graphical/text watermarks, and several other features that I have not even explored. Its "donationware" meaning as-is you're limited to 10 photos per export, which is unlocked as soon as you make a donation (of any amount I suppose? Though $0.01 would be kinda d-ck ). Well worth it in my opinion.
    Last edited by Kibbler; 11-19-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Beautiful photo work of your case, Kibbs! I'm following this build in the same manner I did your last build - religiously.
    Last edited by CptDreadFlint; 11-18-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: misspelled "a" :S
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now Playing

black freighter: i7 920 | evga classified | mm extended ascension pedestal | 2 x 300gb vraps
    dead men tell no tales build: q9770 | asus striker 2 extreme | 2x4gb ddr3 ocz reaper | 2 x gtx 280 oc2 | 2x 300gb vraps | mm ufo-cyo | pcp&c 1200W

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibbler View Post

For Lightroom users: Here's a plug for LR2/Mogrify, an export/PP plugin. It can do inner and outer borders, graphical/text watermarks, and several other features that I have not even explored. Its "donationware" meaning as-is you're limited to 10 photos per export, which is unlocked as soon as you make a donation (of any amount I suppose? Though $0.01 would be kinda ). Well worth it in my opinion.

Thanks for the plug, i'm going to have to try that program out..

Engineering The Xtreme
    Hey kibbler, I think u can fiddle with a 280 gts rad in the top there might overlap the motherboard a touch but certainly wouldn't reach the ram.

and cheers on the new project, will be watching

Ω
    Not very fond of the case but I am a fan of your work Kibbs!

Nice hardware selection so far.
    Ω Raven Build Blog

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
    " Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" - In times of war, the law falls silent.

Xtreme Member
    great looking shots bro.
    i'll definitely watch this new project of yours.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    great start + extremely good pics = another Kibbs worklog, looking forward to updates
    Worklog: Project Black Copper
    Lian Li PC-P80 | Thermochill PA140.3 | Noiseblocker fans | mdpc-x stuff

Xtreme Member
    Killer paint job man love it. need more update

Current system:
    Corsair O8D LiquidAir
    EVGA X58 LE | Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA GTX 285 (waiting for Kepler)| X-Fi Fatal1ty | 1TB (SEAGATE), 2x150GB RAPTOR (raid 0) | TX950w

RUN ON AIR

My Flickr

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Excellent start to your work log there Kibbler.
    At least this time I have found your work log on the 1st page and not the 15th like your last build.
    I have been looking forward to following this build.
    Also nice to see a case with the inside nicely anodized, hope all case manufactures follow this idea.

Xtreme Member
    Ah, so the build is now official. Nice case you've got there Kibb, looking eagerly forward to see some modding action tough

I've been looking and lurking closely your last build (and everything you've build since the beginning of Ugly Duckling :P) so I shall subscribe to this aswell. Interesting choise of radiators, want to share why Black Ice?
    Not into xtreme builds anymore, just like to keep things silent.
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2 - Intel i7 920 3.6 GHz - 6 Gb 1800 MHz DDR3 - AMD HD5850

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CptDreadFlint View Post
    Beautiful photo work of your case, Kibbs! I'm following this build in the same manner I did your last build - religiously.
    Thanks Cap, glad to have you on board . I hope your faith will be rewarded promptly!!

Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    Hey kibbler, I think u can fiddle with a 280 gts rad in the top there might overlap the motherboard a touch but certainly wouldn't reach the ram.

and cheers on the new project, will be watching
    I don't have a 280 on hand, what I'll probably do is papercraft a mockup and check the fit from there. There's potential, just not sure how much modding would be needed to make it work, and neatly at that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohms View Post
    Not very fond of the case but I am a fan of your work Kibbs!

Nice hardware selection so far.
    Thanks V²/P

Quote Originally Posted by bianco View Post
    great looking shots bro.
    i'll definitely watch this new project of yours.
    Thanks a lot bro. Hey can you recommend a local watercutter/lasercutter? I'll need some work done for the front panel eventually. Lemme know.

Quote Originally Posted by aka_GK View Post
    great start + extremely good pics = another Kibbs worklog, looking forward to updates
    lolz I certainly hope not as another Kibbs worklog would be = slower than watching paint peel. Let's just say I hope to work through this one more efficiently than the last!

I have put a strong focus (get it?) on the photography aspect so I'm very glad that it is being well-received. Limited studio equipment is a shortcoming but that's a poor excuse as substitutes are plentiful. Limited space is the big issue, so I need to be more thoughtful about composition to catch what I want to catch and minimize background "noise." Sometimes that means taking multiple shots from multiple angles with multiple light setups. Other times that means contorting into a corner and shooting a burst. I appreciate the positive response as it keeps me from getting lazy in this area. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hale88 View Post
    Killer paint job man love it. need more update
    Lian Li did the "paint" job not me man!

Quote Originally Posted by kgtiger View Post
    Excellent start to your work log there Kibbler.
    At least this time I have found your work log on the 1st page and not the 15th like your last build.
    I have been looking forward to following this build.
    Also nice to see a case with the inside nicely anodized, hope all case manufactures follow this idea.
    Thanks tiger, I'll keep the updates coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagaaja View Post
    Ah, so the build is now official. Nice case you've got there Kibb, looking eagerly forward to see some modding action tough

I've been looking and lurking closely your last build (and everything you've build since the beginning of Ugly Duckling :P) so I shall subscribe to this aswell. Interesting choise of radiators, want to share why Black Ice?
    Thanks for your comment Lagaaja

As for your question: Actually GTX was an easy choice. It is the most-scalable among all the triples, performance-wise, and I wanted as much headroom as possible for a relatively-compact, all-internal rig (compared to those triple-triple MM monsters out there). Following NaMcO's lead I have a supplementary 120GTS for the rear exhaust if necessary, but right now I'm not sure if it will help all that much feeding on warm case air. Time and testing will tell. Noise is a sacrifice I'm willing to make: Cypress idles super-cool and Westmere will likely be the same, and fan RPMs will be software-controlled. I game with headphones, and I don't sleep next to it.

===

Not a lot to update today. I did some test-fitting last night and made a list of things I need: Different size D-plug, 1 more Q+ rotary, different size nylon washers, more compressions, longer screws, shorter screws, etc. The good thing is everything is going as planned. The layout I had in mind, works. One holdup: "how to route the drain line," has been solved as well. Updates on the way.

Golly I am a verbose motherf-cker...

Ω
    heh what is "V²/P" supposed to mean?
    Ω Raven Build Blog

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ohms View Post
    heh what is "V²/P" supposed to mean?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm, "power as a function of resistance."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibbler View Post

Thanks a lot bro. Hey can you recommend a local watercutter/lasercutter? I'll need some work done for the front panel eventually. Lemme know.
    Hi bro think I passed this to Bianco already, but nevertheless, have a look here

Reasonable pricing too i feel

Ω
    i feel like nub now
    Ω Raven Build Blog

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's OK Ohma, as your wearing your learning curve with pride.

All I know is that, I know nothing at all.

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast