View Poll Results: What color should I paint my rad?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gloss BLACK

74 50.68%
  • Gloss RED

59 40.41%
  • Other (please reply to thread including color + finish e.g. gloss/matte/hammered...)

13 8.90%
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Project Capella (Lian Li PC-P50R)

Xtreme Member
    Ahoy, Kai!

Dropping by to represent the love for Capella.

Candy-apple PCB deliciousness for the win!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    wow, I love that PCB!!! I had the same idea , but not so advanced, I was thinking of just soldering on the connectors to the back of the mobo , but I'm liking this much more. More simplified and more clean, fantastic execution. Waiting with popcorn to see how it's executed!
    They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.
    Howlin' Pelle Almqvist

Project Log Completed: all internal v1000

Xtreme Member
    Your build is getting way more epic that I originally tought Thumbs up!
    Not into xtreme builds anymore, just like to keep things silent.
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2 - Intel i7 920 3.6 GHz - 6 Gb 1800 MHz DDR3 - AMD HD5850

Xtreme Member
    that cable management board is ing legit. definitely will be following this much closer
    • Silverstone FT-01B
    • Corsair HX620
    • DFI LanParty DK 790FX-M2RS
    • AMD X2 6400+ BE w/ Thermalright Ultima 90 @ 3.2
    • 2 x 1 GB G.Skill DDR800(4-4-4-12)
    • 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 Dominator(4-4-4-12)
    • BFG Tech 9800GTX(stock cooling for now)
    • 2 - 250GB Seagate SATA

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Honestly the most epic build of ALL TIME.

/cue Kanye
    sigh

Xtreme Member
    epic
    ≠ 4770K - R9 290X Crossfire
    www.overclockers.co.uk

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks all you guys.

Want to answer a few things that were asked:

1) I ordered my PCBs through Pad2Pad (Google it). You need to download their design software. There's a significant learning curve to the design process (unless you're already an EE) but if you've ever used any other CAD software then you should be able to pick up the interface pretty quickly.

2) Yes that big red PCB is for cable management. There's very little space behind the motherboard tray for cable bundles. This is my solution to that.

3) As for details like trace width and etc...it's a bit complicated. The holes are spec'ed to the connectors I ordered, and I set the trace/clearance to be as wide and as spaced out as possible for the software to auto-route successfully. It's probably over-engineered considering motherboards can be quad-to-hex layered with tiny traces and this one has only two layers and big fat traces. But, since they will be carrying 12V at unknown amps, better safe than sorry.

Faceplate update

I can dis-aggregate this project into 4 major parts:
    1. Watercooling setup (the rad and pump and res thingy). This is done.
    2. Front panel assembly
    3. Aquaero and LCD, pretty much done.
    4. PCB wire management. This is the next step.

Today we're looking at #2.

Two older photos first. Here's the "LED splitter board."

And the backlight/mini-sLight assembly from before.

I soldered 6x 2V LEDs to the board in serial, and a 90deg pin connector on the back. Serial means I push 12V to the board and each LED gets 2V. Perfect. Disadvantage is if one LED dies, they all die.

Here's the backside of the LED board, and the 90deg connector I mentioned.

Now it is all wired up + sleeved into a single cable run. You see the pairs of little holes I laser'ed in at the left side of the plate, they're zip-tie anchors.

This is the back of the front panel. I used black mesh and a thin aluminum frame to hide the serrated mesh profile (I think this was one of Callen's brilliant ideas).

Installed the backplate.

You can barely see the three zip-ties I used. The zip-tie "lug" is hidden between the faceplate and the backplate.

Two small p-clips (middle and right screw points) secure the cable in that groove and make a bend at the end.

Yay.

Miraculously the 3mm LEDs are perfectly centered in the 5mm holes. ~1mm gap around the circumference.

Ta-Da!

Once I reattach the original trimmings it looks like this.

I hooked up an old trusty PSU to serve 5V and 12V.

Yay!

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Kibbler; 07-13-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Resized photos to be consistent with the rest of the worklog

Xtreme Guru
    mate thats some innvoative work right their, loving the way the colour of the rad, your custom named LED, the way you have setup your drain ports.. Just read all 19 pages hehe, cant wait till the end!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Addict
    I'm not just saying this... upon seeing those above pictures, I yelled "DUDE!!!"
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme Member
    Brilliant stuff duder
    Hark children of the Resolution !!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottALot View Post
    I'm not just saying this... upon seeing those above pictures, I yelled "DUDE!!!"
    Lol, that's pretty similar to my response .
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Addict
    Kibbler, thanks for posting the pictures up. They are top notch! The first thing I've noticed is how nice that Lian Li PC-P50R really is. It's my opinion that a red rad would really set this build apart. What's better is that you may even be able to get some sort of design on the rad (in black) that matches the side panel art! Looking forward to the rest of this build for sure!
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Holy crap.

Your planning and design is the really amazing part here. Yes, other people could probably reproduce that, but not necessarily as cleanly without the tedious and proven proper planning.

Looks amazing.

^^ What he said. hahaha. Seriously this build is EPIC. Custom PCB's, amazing anodizing, and LED work on the front. Loving this build.
    Just realized that thanks to XS, I have read more worklogs then I have books!!!
    Monitor- 30" Dell 3007WHP-HC
    Motherboard - Intel D975XBX2 | Processor - Intel C2D E6600 | Cooler - Tuniq Tower 120
    Power Supply - PC Power & Cooling 750watt Silencer
    Ram - Team Xtreem PC2-6400 4x1GB DDR2-800
    Video Card - Sapphire 4890
    HDD- 500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 [VISTA Ultimate 64] | 200gb Maxtor DiamondMAX 10 [XP]
    Case - Silverstone T-J09 Black w/ Window

Thats a great looking faceplate. Such fantastic attention to detail.
    Awesome as always mate.

Xtreme Member
    Soo nice! great job Bro!

EVGA Classified E759-A1 l Intel i7 975 EE @4GHz l CORSAIR DDR3 7-8-7-20 @ 2000MHz 3X2GB l ASUS HD5970 l Silverstone 1200W l Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD X2 Raid0 l Windows 7 Ultimate l Custom Bench (Water Cooling)

Xtreme Guru
    Cant wait to see this in action!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    Holy Crap, Sweet Mother Of God, WTF, GTFO LOL!

Nicest, most detailed face plate ever! Kudos x ∞, Kibbs

Wow ! Crazy man
    Bad english speaking

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by callen_1 View Post
    Holy Crap, Sweet Mother Of God, WTF, GTFO LOL!

Nicest, most detailed face plate ever! Kudos x ∞, Kibbs
    i couldn't say it with more details
    love it a bunch!!!

doctor pepper's desk
    EVGA P55 FTW | i5 650 @ 4GHz | 4Gb Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 XMS3 | XFX 4870 1Gb | Corsair X32 | Samsung SpinPoint F1 - 320Go | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | Samsung P2450H | Microsoft Laser Desktop 7000 | JBL Spyro Black
    AirCooling: Prolimatech Mega Shadow | Xigmatek Bifrost | Fractal Design SATA Cluster Box | Fractal Design 2x120mm, 2x140mm and 1x92mm

Cosmos-S
    Foxconn BloodRage Rev1.1 Bios P07 | i7 920 D0 @ 4,629GHz max & 4,3GHz stable | 6Gb Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 | XFX 5870 | Sonar X-Fi | Intel X25-M 80 Go PostVille | Samsung SpinPoint F1 - 1To | Corsair HX620W | CoolerMaster Cosmos S | Samsung T240 | Logitech MX-5500 & Z-2300
    Watercooling: Laing DDC + plexi top and tank | CPU - HK 1366 rev 3.0 LT | GPU - EK Water Blocks EK FC5870 V2 - Acétal Nickel | MB - Foxconn's original | HDD - HK SilentStar HD-Single rev 2.0 | radiator - 3x120mm | tubing - High Flex 10/16mm | red PrimoChill ICE coolant

Xtreme Member
    off. This build seemed kind of "normal" at first in my eyes but then you started making it epic and now it's definitely my favorite build here . You make me feel like my PC is crap
    Specs:
    HW: Lian Li PC-A71F | i7 920 | P6T Deluxe | HD5870 | 6GB OCZ Platinum 2000mhz | AX850W | Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 | Intel X25-M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB Caviar Green
    WC: EK-FC5870 | EK Supreme HF | Swiftech MCP655 with EK top | ThermoChill PA120.2 | ThermoChill PA120.3 | EK Multioption 250
    Other: Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans | Aqua Computer Aquaero | Bitspower Comp. Fittings

Xtreme Member
    Awesome Job on the faceplate.

I have been looking at the Pad2Pad software and I cannot find any of the connectors for power like you used. Do you know where I can get them? Thanks.
    PDXLan attendee 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10.5,11,12,12.5,13,14,14.5,15 ,(16),(16.5) - Ad Infinitum

Heatware is nlancaster - http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=50777

Xtreme, Okay.
    Just found and read through this while thread. I am amazed. The creativity and thoroughness in the design - just incredible. Thanks.

1st – love the little touches like the stickers for the memory. 2nd – That PCB is brilliant.
    But that front plate is outstanding. I liked your first revisions but this has got to be one of the best looking mods I have seen.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

@nlancaster
    They're not from Pad2Pad. I ordered them from Mouser, Digikey or similar should also have them. You need to go in and look for what you need.

Xtreme Member
    wonderful front plate bro... i should get my thesaurus and find more synonym for awesome and great. haha.

anyways, i know it's just me...
    but would it look better if the led (dots) would be a bit more diffused/less bright like the capella lighting?

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9161718192021 LastLast