Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my first DSLR...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by TadZilla View Post
    Well, I have found that I suck at photography, but it's so much fun! Trying to get the right settings in manual mode is really fun. I'll post a pic I've taken soon (other than computer hardware).
    Its just about training, if you wan´t it easier, shoot in aperature mode (you set only ISO and F stop, cam will calculate exposition time..).
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate P. View Post
    You thought it would be easy?
    Not at all. I'm just saying I suck for now, but learning how is fun, so it was well worth the purchase. I'll get better

Xtreme Mentor
    Not at all. I'm just saying I suck for now, but learning how is fun, so it was well worth the purchase. I'll get better
    Thats what its all about, learning and having fun.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, I have found that I suck at photography, but it's so much fun! Trying to get the right settings in manual mode is really fun. I'll post a pic I've taken soon (other than computer hardware).
    don't worry, you're not alone

i just bought a photography book, scot kelby vol. 1, 2, 3 to give me some ideas of digital photography.. also read "understanding exposure" by bryan peterson very good book about getting the right exposure and where you need to get your metering
    Phenom Monsta - Gallery
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T | MSI 790FX-GD70 | Dominator 1600 C8 8GB | 4770 CF | 2xWD640GB Raid0 | 2xWD1.5TB Raid1 | Corsair HX850 |Lian-Li PC-7FW
    Enzotech Luna Rev.A | 2 x MCW60 | MCP-350 | XSPC Dual DDC Res | TFC Monsta 420/360 Limited Edition

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS | Nissin Di866 | D-Lite4 | 17" MiniSoft | 53" Midi-Octa | 7" Reflector + 20º Grid | Explorer XT SE | Crumpler 6MDH

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokester_wild View Post
    Art is subjective, that is only your opinion. I think many on this forum would argue with much emotion that Computers and Computer hardware is in fact art.

And an SLR will give him a much higher level of photos compared to a point n shoot. Who are you to tell someone what they should or shouldn't take photos of or what an camera is for.
    What I am really trying to say is, you won't really shoot much if you are seriously shooting just the computer parts. That might waste the SLR that you just bought. It's not really like you have an infinite amount of computer parts of take photographs of. Unlike the nature and outside world with millions of possibilities. It is nice to hear that he won't limit his photography just into computer parts.

And I dont think SLR can give a "higher level" of photography. It just makes capturing fine photographs easier. The best photography are beautiful photographs made with the most basic cameras, because taking such pictures requires the most skill. A skilled photographer can take artful pictures with ANY cameras, because a piece of photography is about art, not about the equipment.

But certainly, SLR cameras actually makes photography more enjoyable. Well, fun is all that matters, right?

Cameras doesn't take the picture, YOU take the picture

- my .02

Edit - Congrats about your purchase of the T1i. I used it for 3-4 days when my camera was down, it's a nice camera. You will love it. Though my favorite is still my dear ol' 20D
    Last edited by lkiller123; 11-22-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lkiller123 View Post
    What I am really trying to say is, you won't really shoot much if you are seriously shooting just the computer parts. That might waste the SLR that you just bought. It's not really like you have an infinite amount of computer parts of take photographs of. Unlike the nature and outside world with millions of possibilities. It is nice to hear that he won't limit his photography just into computer parts.

And I dont think SLR can give a "higher level" of photography. It just makes capturing fine photographs easier. The best photography are beautiful photographs made with the most basic cameras, because taking such pictures requires the most skill. A skilled photographer can take artful pictures with ANY cameras, because a piece of photography is about art, not about the equipment.

But certainly, SLR cameras actually makes photography more enjoyable. Well, fun is all that matters, right?

Cameras doesn't take the picture, YOU take the picture

- my .02

Edit - Congrats about your purchase of the T1i. I used it for 3-4 days when my camera was down, it's a nice camera. You will love it. Though my favorite is still my dear ol' 20D

Although I always used to say that, its also pretty bull. Would I rather shoot on a point n shoot ? no. Could I capture as easily some of the photos I take. no. point n shoots or cheap cameras are very limiting.

There is a good reason why we spend the money we do on quality bodies and lenses.

Were not doing it to expect it to make photos for us. But using it as a tool to make it capture what we see or want to see.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Mentor
    Although I always used to say that, its also pretty bull. Would I rather shoot on a point n shoot ? no. Could I capture as easily some of the photos I take. no. point n shoots or cheap cameras are very limiting.

There is a good reason why we spend the money we do on quality bodies and lenses.

Were not doing it to expect it to make photos for us. But using it as a tool to make it capture what we see or want to see.
    Yes, its a tool. We need the speed, the range of available lenses, the image quality. You need better image quality, you spend the money for a medium format. Point is, a DSLR is not the holy grail of quality.

But sometimes a DSLR is limiting. I remember reading about a pro who wanted to get a golfer's backswing (can remember for the life of me were I saw it). Usually you are not allowed to take photos until the golfer has hit the ball because it is distracting. But this photographer used a point and shoot because of its silent shutter and got what no other pro got, which was the backswing.

Point and shoots can sometimes be liberating.

I think the point was, buying a DSLR will not automatically make you good at photography. If you don't know a thing about photography, having an SLR is not going to change that.

Use the right tool for the job. Because a camera is just that, a tool. Sometimes the right tool is an SLR, sometimes a point and shoot, sometimes a Holga.

Xtreme Cruncher

Bull? Yeah, damn right SLR makes taking pictures easier, and it better be from the extensive controls that SLR bodies offer. You can actually find learning photography is easier by using an SLR than using a point and shoot.

Saying that a point and shoot is VERY limiting is wrong. A point and shoot can be way more compact than a SLR. A camera to fit in your pocket vs a camera that weighs well over 1kg, which one you want to carry all day? Also, as Nate said, a SLR camera can sometimes ruin the scene by its loud shutter operation. Now is a point-and-shoot still VERY LIMITING? Sorry, but I do not think so.

Sure as hell that everybody would want a SLR, but do they all have the money?

Talk about picture quality, if I really want the best, I would want a Hassalblad. I got the money? Of course, but I'd rather buy a car with that kind of money.
    Last edited by lkiller123; 11-23-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Bull? Yeah, damn right SLR makes taking pictures easier, and it better be from the extensive controls that SLR bodies offer. You can actually find learning photography is easier by using an SLR than using a point and shoot.

Saying that a point and shoot is VERY limiting is wrong. A point and shoot can be way more compact than a SLR. A camera to fit in your pocket vs a camera that weighs well over 1kg, which one you want to carry all day? Also, as Nate said, a SLR camera can sometimes ruin the scene by its loud shutter operation. Now is a point-and-shoot still VERY LIMITING? Sorry, but I do not think so.

Sure as hell that everybody would want a SLR, but do they all have the money?

Talk about picture quality, if I really want the best, I would want a Hassalblad. I got the money? Of course, but I'd rather buy a car with that kind of money.
    ah yes that shootgun like sound that the shutter makes, always ruining photos! and the weight oh my how heavy it is, I can hardly lift my mighty slr. Most of the time I require assistance when taking more then a couple photos.

Get real, all companies offer excellent first time kits for reasonable prices now.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Mentor
    I just gave you an example of the loud shutter ruining a photo opportunity. SLRs are large and conspicuous and people respond differently to them then they do smaller, less intimidating cameras like rangefinders or point and shoots. Lets see you tote that 400mm f/2.8 all day without the assistance of a monopod.

Get real, SLRs are bulky, loud and cumbersome.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Reasonable price, of course anyone can afford an entry level SLR. But when you compare a XS to a point and shoot, it's apples to oranges. Compare a XS (around $450) to, lets say, powershot SD780 (around 280). Isn't it a huge difference? Plus when you need more reach on an SLR, you will have to buy more teles. Now it is a whole different story.

Try taking event shots without people noticing. Also tried birding without missing some shots? When I shoot birds, right the second I click the shutter, birds will be intimated and flew away, ruining my shot. Yeah point-and-shoot can barely shoot birds, but you can see my point of SLRs being bulky.

Don't get me wrong, I DO have an SLR. You ever tried a 20D w/ battery grip and a 24-70L on your neck for a whole day? How about a 400mm f/2.8 as Nate said; you will need a pretty strong monopod for the weight.

Get real.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I just gave you an example of the loud shutter ruining a photo opportunity. SLRs are large and conspicuous and people respond differently to them then they do smaller, less intimidating cameras like rangefinders or point and shoots. Lets see you tote that 400mm f/2.8 all day without the assistance of a monopod.

Get real, SLRs are bulky, loud and cumbersome.
    lol good. You go grab a pocket cam and have fun. Your example actually made me laugh. If a shutter sound can make a athlete lose focus, hes not much of one.

Can those cameras take good photos ? absolutely. Does an SLR offer you more ? Of course. The point of this whole argument was someone telling another person they shouldn't buy an SLR if they weren't taking "artful" photos, Which is just ridiculous. If you can afford it. Buy it.
    Last edited by Jokester_wild; 11-24-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Mentor
    lol good. You go grab a pocket cam and have fun. A 400mm ? Hardly need that to beat the pants off of any "highend" point n shoot. Your example actually made me laugh. If a shutter sound can make a athlete lose focus, hes not much of one.
    I like my SLR for the speed, the range of lenses to choose from, and the image quality. But I would like to have a point and shoot for those times when size and noise does matter. I don't limit my range of tools based on stupid stereotypes and judgements. I pick the right tool for the job. And if that tool is a point and shoot, so be it.

You went from criticizing someone's use of a point and shoot to the athlete. Its one of the stipulations of tournament play. Get over it.
    Last edited by Nate P.; 11-24-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    lol good. You go grab a pocket cam and have fun. Your example actually made me laugh. If a shutter sound can make a athlete lose focus, hes not much of one.

Can those cameras take good photos ? absolutely. Does an SLR offer you more ? Of course. The point of this whole argument was someone telling another person they shouldn't buy an SLR if they weren't taking "artful" photos, Which is just ridiculous. If you can afford it. Buy it.
    Seems like someone is throwing money around. Yeah, you can afford a SLR, but what if you get bored of it? 500 dollars down the drain? It's like you buy a set of pro Golf equipment for a thousand dollars, and you only played golf once.

SLR camera can be a money-making tool, but sadly it is not the case for everyone. Including him.

Xtreme Addict
    Seems like someone is throwing money around. Yeah, you can afford a SLR, but what if you get bored of it? 500 dollars down the drain? It's like you buy a set of pro Golf equipment for a thousand dollars, and you only played golf once.

SLR camera can be a money-making tool, but sadly it is not the case for everyone. Including him.
    heh, funny that you say that. this summer i was like, new golf clubs, or to finally get into photograpy.

i did play golf at least a dozen times this year, but the camera gear is much more worth it
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Enthusiast

Your comparing apples and oranges. A camera is always useful. Golf clubs is for a specific use.

You went from criticizing someone's use of a point and shoot to the athlete. Its one of the stipulations of tournament play. Get over it.
    yes because I find it amusing. get over what ? im not the one telling people what they can and cannot shot which was the main point of this discussion.

Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Mentor
    yes because I find it amusing. get over what ? im not the one telling people what they can and cannot shot which was the main point of this discussion.
    Unfortunately the people running the golf tournaments ARE telling people what they can and cannot shoot. Take it up with them.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Your comparing apples and oranges. A camera is always useful. Golf clubs is for a specific use.

Golf clubs are for playing golf. Cameras are for taking pictures. And please, it is "you are" not "your."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Guess you have to go to correcting my English now

You figured out what golf clubs and cameras are used for. Well done.

Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Mentor
    A camera is always useful. Golf clubs is for a specific use.
    Golf clubs are for playing golf. Cameras are for taking pictures.
    They both have a specific use.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Guess you have to go to correcting my English now

You figured out what golf clubs and cameras are used for. Well done.
    Sorry, not only you, but I am actually tired of people around me confusing between "you are" and "your."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They both have a specific use.
    wow the intelligence around here....

A camera can be used at a golf game, a camera can be used at a Birthday party. Do you get where im going with this ?

Your going to find yourself in far more situations, where a camera can be used for its "specific" use.

Thus why him comparing buying an SLR to buying clubs is apples and oranges.

Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Mentor
    wow the intelligence around here....
    Sorry I'm not living up to your expectations.

Xtreme Addict
    what is even going on right now with all of this arguing? he already bought the camera, right? so i see no point in bickering over things. just go and take pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Enthusiast
    no, let them continue
    Phenom Monsta - Gallery
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T | MSI 790FX-GD70 | Dominator 1600 C8 8GB | 4770 CF | 2xWD640GB Raid0 | 2xWD1.5TB Raid1 | Corsair HX850 |Lian-Li PC-7FW
    Enzotech Luna Rev.A | 2 x MCW60 | MCP-350 | XSPC Dual DDC Res | TFC Monsta 420/360 Limited Edition

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS | Nissin Di866 | D-Lite4 | 17" MiniSoft | 53" Midi-Octa | 7" Reflector + 20º Grid | Explorer XT SE | Crumpler 6MDH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast