Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Fermi GF100 working desktop card spotted on Facebook

Xtreme Enthusiast

Thumbs up Nvidia Fermi GF100 working desktop card spotted on Facebook

Nvidia Fermi GF100 first working desktop card spotted

On Nvidia’s Facebook page

A few hours ago, the Nvidia engineers running the company’s Facebook page uploaded a picture of what appears to be the first working sample of a 40nm GF100 high-end card based on Fermi architecture, the first to make its way on the internet.

The image was uploaded at 9:45pm PST and depicts the Geforce desktop card running Uningine’s Heaven DirectX 11 benchmark on a Dell 24-inch monitor, so we can rationally assume that the benchmark resolution is 1920x1200. The core hardware configuration appears to be composed of an ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 motherboard coupled with undetermined Core i7 processor and DDR3 memory.

Upon close inspection in Photoshop with the help of others, it appears that the 40nm Fermi-based GF100 monster is using a PCI-Express 8-pin adapter on the left and a 6-pin adapter on the right, so nothing is new in terms of PSU hardware requirements for enthusiast consumers. It is important to note that this particular engineering sample GPU is using the recently taped-out A2 silicon. Our multiple internal sources have previously confirmed that the company will move to A3 silicon for its final retail products.

Two days ago, Nvidia publicly demonstrated its first working GPU samples based on Fermi architecture during SC 2009 (Super Computer Convention). SC is the international conference for high-performance computing, networking, storage and analysis, where the company unveiled the Tesla 20-series lineup priced respectively between $2,499 and $18,995. As previously stated, these Fermi GPUs catered toward the High Performance Computing (HPC) market segment are not expected to launch in Q2 2010, while the high-end Geforce desktop units as depicted in the image above are expected to be announced at CES 2010 (January 7th – 10th) and will launch earlier, sometime in Q1 2010.
    Source
    Last edited by AuDioFreaK39; 11-18-2009 at 12:24 AM.
    EVGA X58 SLI Classified E759 Limited Edition
    Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X Gulftown six-core
    Thermalright TRUE Copper w/ 2x Noctua NF-P12s (push-pull)
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified [Quad-SLI]
    6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20
    SilverStone Strider ST1500 1500W
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 240GB 1.0GB/s PCI-Express SSD
    Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional / Logitech G51 5.1 Surround
    SilverStone Raven RV02
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM

Xtreme Addict
    So yet another PCB layout???
    What happened to the 9in card people said was the final design?
    Last edited by LordEC911; 11-17-2009 at 11:14 PM.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    "people said"?

Who cares what people say, pictures and working product matter more. Plus why would there be a 9-pin PCI-E power connector? 6-pins are the only common connector around, with 8-pin being found on some more powerful PSU's and only more recently on mid range PSUs. A new connector would just mean less people buy this card, and with it coming so late and having so many problems Nvidia is going to need all the selling power they can get once its released. Hopefully we will find that either they solve the clock speed issue, or that even at slow speeds it is somehow a monster in the graphics department.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Addict
    *Facepalm*
    in = inches.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    figures fps are cut out of the pic nice to see SOMETHING tho..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If that was fermi I'd expect tessellation to be turned on.

EDIT: Or is it? the steps and floor don't look tessellated, but the posts and dragon do...

EDIT 2: NM, house in the background looks obviously tessellated.

I wonder if the FPS being cut out was deliberate... if so, is that because the FPS is low? Makes sense. The other question is, if so, is it because the architecture flopped, or is it the drivers?
    Last edited by hurleybird; 11-17-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    the only thing Fermi had over the 5970 was that it could fit in most people's cases, now it looks like it's lost that advantage too
    i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.25v
    GTX 470 @ 859MHz 1062mv

So GF100 is flagship of Fermi architecture?

Xtreme Addict
    Knowing NVidia, it's likely that this is a rebranded GTX295 card with a new heatsink...

I'll be very surprised to see Fermi cards available for sale sooner than April 2010....way too late to be anything more than a humerous footnote to this product cycle.
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lutjens View Post
    Knowing NVidia, it's likely that this is a rebranded GTX295 card with a new heatsink...
    lol well anything's possible, but it's very likely the real deal. Of course we have no details, clocks, power usage, silicon revision, performance etc. But at least we know the card is no longer a pink elephant and does actually exist.

Kinda odd that the first actual working unit is posted on Facebook though.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lutjens View Post

I'll be very surprised to see Fermi cards available for sale sooner than April 2010....way too late to be anything more than a humerous footnote to this product cycle.
    You sound like charlie.

is nvidia also going out of business?
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Addict
    Wow guys. It's embarrassing when eleeter is the voice of reason in an NV thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Helloworld_98 View Post
    the only thing Fermi had over the 5970 was that it could fit in most people's cases, now it looks like it's lost that advantage too
    I think you're wrong ..
    The card is the same length as the board so he it should be shorter than 5970.

Banned
    Alrighty then, I'll be "unreasonable".

Has it really come to the point where Nvidia has to post low rez images of Fermi on Facebook to try and appease the masses?

Xtreme Addict
    To actually see some real hardware makes me feel a lot more positive about Fermi. Sure it will need A3 hardware, but it probably means Engineering Samples are already in the hands of game studios, games being optimized for it. That can only be good for the consumer (debatable lol). Let's face it, there is not much point in upgrading if you've have bought a high end card in the last two years. Most of us can wait a little longer still.

I sure am, I just want to see what it's capable of. Plenty of time to go AMD if it's rubbish.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    You sound like charlie.

is nvidia also going out of business?
    I thought the same for an instance I hope they don't face several shortage issues like ATi, if it does the prices on e-tailers is going to be overrated...
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    To actually see some real hardware makes me feel a lot more positive about Fermi. Sure it will need A3 hardware, but it probably means Engineering Samples are already in the hands of game studios, games being optimized for it. That can only be good for the consumer (debatable lol). Let's face it, there is not much point in upgrading if you've have bought a high end card in the last two years. Most of us can wait a little longer still.

I sure am, I just want to see what it's capable of. Plenty of time to go AMD if it's rubbish.
    Fully Agree
    Desktop i7 2600 3.40 / Gigabyte P67A UD4 / Armageddon / 4x4GB G.Skill 1333MHz / Zotac GTX285 AMP!
    Server Q8300 2.50 / ASUS P5Q-EM P43 / AC Freezer 7 Pro / 4x1GB Kingston @ 800MHz / 6x1TB WD @ RAID 5
    HTPC i3 530 2.93 / ASUS P7H55-M Pro / Prolimatech Samuel 17 / 2x2GB Mushkin @ 1333MHz / HIS Radeon HD5570
    Notebook: Asus UL30A / Samsung 64GB MLC SSD

Xtreme Member
    Am I the only thinking it is just too much of a "coincidence" that we see a Fermi leak on Hemlock-day?

Now i have no proof but it does smell like Nvidia marketing BS...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    /puts on tinfoil hat

They could have used a 5870 for the screenshot, and a mockup card in the foreground
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissez View Post
    Am I the only thinking it is just too much of a "coincidence" that we see a Fermi leak on Hemlock-day?

I agree. I think it is a Nvidia BS move and I think that card is not even running on the screen and it is actually a 5870 on the top mobo seen in the picture on the shelf that is connected instead. I think they are trying to mislead again as of late. Considering all the BS Nvidia has been doing lately I am not giving them a damn inch until they prove with a damn picture the card is actually wired to that monitor. Nvidia has about as much credibility as a fart in a tornado at this point in time.
    Last edited by Sadasius; 11-18-2009 at 04:19 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissez View Post

Well duh...
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Addict
    Obviously the timing isn't a coincidence.

But nothing about that picture makes think it's fake. I'd expect that they have early silicon running by now. We still don't know the clocks of that card, it's performance, etc. All we know (if that picture is real) is that it runs DX11 and exists somewhere. Not a real big surprise, IMO.

Xtreme Member
    The gullibility and ignorance of you ALL......... astounding.

I am Xtreme
    Anyone else noticed the other setup on top of this one (upper right corner)?
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooProphetII View Post
    The gullibility and ignorance of you ALL......... astounding.
    An ad hominem does not an argument make. [/yoda]

Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast