Thread: Yet another newb-need-help-buying-WC thread

Question Yet another newb-need-help-buying-WC thread

Hello out there in cyberspace,

Recently when I tried booting Borderlands on the computer, it didn't want to run without hardware delay and very low FPS at anything above 800x600 and everything on low, which made my decision on getting a new computer.

As I've never done WC before, I have done lots of reading on what to choose, what not to choose etc.
    And with following computer specs...:

i7 920
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    CS Dominator TC 1866 (3x2GB)
    CS HX 1kW
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    2xAsus 5870

...have I been coming up with a WC setup:

CPU Loop
    MCP355
    TC 120.3
    Heatkiller Rev. 3.0
    3xPanaflo 120 High Speed(added)

GPU Loop
    MCP355
    Swiftech MCR220-QP
    (Swiftech MCR120-QP if needed, (probably not))
    2xEK-FC5870 OR 2xBitspower Black Freezer
    2xPanaflo 120 Medium Speed (added)

Both/diverse
    XSPC Dual 5.25 pump top/res
    Tygon R3603 (Clear) OR R3400 (Black) both of them 1/2, 3/4
    PT Nuke+Distilled water
    Aerocool Touch 2k

Mr_Armageddon's mod have greatly inspired me, and this is how I have thought the loops are gonna be (If the MCR120 is in use):

Will there be any corrosion, bottlenecks and/or other problems with the loops?
    Which one of the tubes would you have gone with? (Will probably sleeve the clear tygon if i choose it)
    Which way should the airflow go?
    Are those fans gonna be too noisy?
    Is the additional 140 rad gonna be needed?
    As for the VGA block, I'll most likely choose EK because of the color.
    Any recommended 1/2 fittings?
    Would it be possible to mod the top-right part of the case to extend the triple rad to a quad?

I am open to, and appreciate any suggestions or personal experiences regarding the watercooling.

Note: I will be (trying to) ordering everything off Sidewinder, as they have international shipping and it will end up with quite a lot for me ordering from two places.
    Last edited by Wixicy; 11-17-2009 at 05:53 AM. Reason: -

Xtreme Guru
    Those fans are going to be loud. If you want to use those fans, get a HW Labs GTX360 rad. It's a high FPI rad, so it is mad for fans like those.

See here:

If noise is an issue for you, running Gentle Typhoon 1450s or 1850s, or S-flex Fs or Gs will work just fine and be ALOT quieter.

Everything else should be just fine for your setup. I wouldn't even bother with the extra 140 mm rad. Your GPUs will be on their own loop, and GPUs don't react like CPUs do to temps, so the MCR220-QP should be just fine.

I personally would just pull the in from the bottom of the case, through the 220, and exhaust through the TC up top.

Seeing you are thinking about sleeving it, and want to order all from Sidewinders, get the R3603. If you can find the PrimoChill PRO LRT black tubing, it is great tubing also. I have heard the R3400 is stiff and hard to work with.

As far as fittings go, comp fittings are more for show. If you have the budget for them, use them. If not, some BP high flow 1/2" barbs and hose clamps are plenty secure.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Why not go for two MCP350's? They provide enough flow for your loops and are a lot more quiet. You could always mod them later if you want more flow, but I don't think your temps will benefit a lot from it.
    Last edited by Mazlov; 11-15-2009 at 05:13 AM.
    Dutch techies visit www.geekswarm.nl

Hardware: Antec P180b | Corsair HX850W | MSI P55-GD65 | Core i7 860 | 2*2GB Corsair Dominator PC12800 CL7 | Sapphire HD5870 + XFX HD5870 | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB|WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Cooling: Swiftech MCP355 + XSPC ResTop | ThermoChill Pa120.2 & TFC X-changer 120 | Swiftech Apogee XT | EK-FC5870 Acetal+Nickel | Tygon 3603 |Feser Ultra Pure + Corrosion blocker | 6*Scythe S-Flex F @ Scythe Kaze Master Ace

Bench: DimasTech Easy 2.5 | MSI-P67A-GD65 | Intel Core i7 2600K | 2*4GB Corsair Vengeance PC12800 CL8 | 2* MSI R6950 CFX

Thanks for replies.

I did check it out millertime, and after all it seems like the Black Ice is quite restrictive, and I will probably not be running the fans at full speed all the time.
    But after I looked into it, it seems like the TFC X-Changer is pretty good, but is a bit more restrictive than 120.3.

In my scenario, running a MCP355 with the XSPC top and fans at around 1.5-6k RPM I have the following option;
    TFC dissipating 550w with a PSI drop at 0.58 OR 120.3 dissipating 505w with a PSI drop at 0.31
    Which one shall I choose for the loop only having the HK 3.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazlov View Post
    Why not go for two MCP350's? Their provide enough flow for your loops and be a lot more quiet. You couls always mod them later if you want more, but I don't think you'll temps will benefit a lot from it.
    They don't have the MCP350 at Sidewinder, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Wixicy; 11-15-2009 at 06:28 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    There is only so far you can down volt the fans. IIRC, even dropping those fans down to 7 volts, they are still plenty loud. I would just look into slower fans if you are concerned about noise.

You can also undervolt the pumps. IIRC, those MCP355s run fine down to 7 volts, and anything under that, you start to have issues. With your fan choice, I doubt you will be able to hear your pumps over those fans anyways

Also, seeing you are running dual loops, the pressure drops are not a huge deal. Either setup will have plenty of flow. You only have to worry about it when trying to run one big loop.

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

I'm not too worried about noise, but at some point it is certainly gonna get too loud.
    I might just change the Ultra Speed to High Speed on the CPU rads and Medium Speed on the GPU rads (Panaflu fans here).
    Thing is that I want to go with either one of them because of their thickness.

Xtreme Guru
    If your not worried too much about noise, then get some HW labs high FPI rads. With high speed fans HW Labs have the best performing rads.

I have been checking out vids on youtube, and it seems like it is a bit too loud for me running them at full. But I'm alright running them at a bit lower speeds, so I am just fine with TFC
    As for the fittings, I will go for the following: BP G 1/4" 1/2ID + Some stubby, CF Bridge pipe (Will be using the two slots farther away from each other on the Rampage II X),A few 45°, One 90° for the bottom GPU, O rings, Stoppers.

Anything else missing or not right so far?
    EDIT: Will be using the R3400 tubing. 1/2, 3/4
    Last edited by Wixicy; 11-16-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Make sure you get the 'new' TC PA120.3 with regular spacing. The old version is probably not compatible with the topmount of the 800D, since the holes for the fans don't match.
    Dutch techies visit www.geekswarm.nl

Hardware: Antec P180b | Corsair HX850W | MSI P55-GD65 | Core i7 860 | 2*2GB Corsair Dominator PC12800 CL7 | Sapphire HD5870 + XFX HD5870 | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB|WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Cooling: Swiftech MCP355 + XSPC ResTop | ThermoChill Pa120.2 & TFC X-changer 120 | Swiftech Apogee XT | EK-FC5870 Acetal+Nickel | Tygon 3603 |Feser Ultra Pure + Corrosion blocker | 6*Scythe S-Flex F @ Scythe Kaze Master Ace

Bench: DimasTech Easy 2.5 | MSI-P67A-GD65 | Intel Core i7 2600K | 2*4GB Corsair Vengeance PC12800 CL8 | 2* MSI R6950 CFX

Xtreme Member
    If you are going with those monstrous fans you should really get the HWL GTX like millertime already suggested.

Those Bitspower blocks for the 5870 seem to perform very bad compared to competitors so I would stay away from them:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=395

Whole thread:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=232879

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woffen View Post
    If you are going with those monstrous fans you should really get the HWL GTX like millertime already suggested.

Those Bitspower blocks for the 5870 seem to perform very bad compared to competitors so I would stay away from them:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=395

Whole thread:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=232879

+1

I will be running the fans at the lowest (Except for when benchmarking), and might change them out if i find out that they get too loud even at lowest possible.
    Did also find out that the fan controller is going to be useless for the fans, as it is rated from 20-45w, and fans are at 5.*. So changing it out with the Aerocool touch 2k.

I have a feeling that I'm good to go by now.

Edit: Which PT Nuke is best? #1 #2
    Last edited by Wixicy; 11-17-2009 at 06:02 AM.