Thread: New projector for the HT room!!

Banned

New projector for the HT room!! Updated 18/12/09 PICS

Hey guys.

Just ordered some stuff for the Home Theater room and should play out to be pretty awesome

JVC HD950 and a true sine UPS as I live in a rural area.

I have a Grandview 105" 16:9 screen and an old Analog Epson Projector, so should be a massive step up and finally get to use all the advantages of going digital will bring.

I currently have a Pioneer SC-05 that I am using to power my Sinclair Audio speakers, but recently picked up two unused Monster Power Signature Series 3 channel amps for a steal, and will use the SC-05 as a head unit and power my Sinclairs until I can afford some Klipsch KS series speakers, and a JBL industrial sub and build an enclosure.

My friend has the JVC HD750 and it is amazing. All the 950 has over it is Interpolation and it seems to be lack luster so not any major improvement.

One question I have for you guys is do you know of any decent priced hardware racks so I can rack mount my Silverstone crown as well as the above mentioned gear? I would love to have it all racked and put into the closet and exhausted to adjacent room and use a harmony and a IR repeater.

LMK what you think!!!
    Last edited by turtletrax; 12-18-2009 at 08:25 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Wow thats some really nice equipment, first person I have seen around here that puts my system to shame, well everything except screen size. While 105" is nice, you should do what I did and take 16:9 widescreen to a new meaning, 16' wide x 9' tall for a screen is the way to go. It comes out to 221" diagonal.

Also, you can do a lot better with your sub, especially for the kind of money your throwing down...
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtremeish
    JVC HD950

Now that is a fantastic projector! And the king of the hill when it comes to black levels!

Btw, we need pictures!

It is fairly good calibrated from production, but I really suggest that you purchase an EyeOne and do a little more work on it. It won't be any huge difference, but this gem really deserves that dot over the i!

There aren't huge differences with video quality with blu-ray players, but they are noticeable with even a far cheaper projector, so get something in the Sony BDP-S550 range if you don't have one already.

Is the room in which the projector will be mounted fairly black? Light control is rather crucial with high end projectors like this one to get it to perform properly.

Lastly, make sure your screen is no bottleneck

As for a rack, I would look at Ikea first, but maybe these guys have something more interesting:
    http://www.standsandmounts.com/audioracks.aspx

(As for SUB and power amps, look at SVS and Emotiva Audio, insane bang for the buck!)
    Last edited by Kallenator; 11-17-2009 at 08:05 AM.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Banned
    Thanks guys. I should have the stuff early this week. There will be pics galore trust me.

I think I will be getting into calibration quite heavily as I need to get my attention away from blowing loads of cash on HT and computer equipment. Also would like to eventually get into custom home theater. I did it earlier for a small company, but they didn't do much for custom. It was mostly just set and connect.

The room it is in is a odd shape. Very wide and skinny, so I am only about 12' away from the screen so I am quite happy with the 105" screen. Nice thing is it is basically a cave with no window. Light management is a breeze I am going to renovate the house in about a year or so, that is when the dark paint and creative mounting of the projector and speakers will take place. I will be building false walls for speakers and subs. And trust me the JBLs are insane. A friend has 2 in custom built boxes and they can move some serious air and sound fantastic.

I will look into that rack Kall. I appreciate the link. It is the last thing I need to figure out before install

Pics next week
    Last edited by turtletrax; 11-21-2009 at 05:53 PM.

Xtremeish
    Sounds excellent!

I like to hear people talk good about JBL, because then they usually have their feet on the ground. JBL does deliver professional and semi professional equipment which is well priced, easy to drive and delivers great sound!
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Mentor
    Sounds like a killer setup Turtle. I think you will be quite happy with all of it. One thing on the screen, is that a white or gray screen? The reason I ask is you may be better off with a white screen with a newer projector since they have better contrast then the older projectors that needed the gray screen to get better blacks. As far as a rack goes, any server rack should do if you can find one in the papers or you can always do a standard audio rack from Best Buy or what not. Now, you could build one into the closet since it will be dedicated for that. Saves you some money and you can mod it the way you need it.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Sounds like a killer setup Turtle. I think you will be quite happy with all of it. One thing on the screen, is that a white or gray screen? The reason I ask is you may be better off with a white screen with a newer projector since they have better contrast then the older projectors that needed the gray screen to get better blacks. As far as a rack goes, any server rack should do if you can find one in the papers or you can always do a standard audio rack from Best Buy or what not. Now, you could build one into the closet since it will be dedicated for that. Saves you some money and you can mod it the way you need it.
    Thanks Utnorris

Getting pretty excited. The ideas are just washing through my brain on the possibilities. Problem is I can't really go to nutz until I reno the house.

The screen is a white Grandview Elegant. I have been pretty impressed with it so far and my buddy with the HD750 has the same screen in the 129" diagonal and looks superb.

After some thinking I may stick with my gear in the current location in the same craptastic stand as I wont be able to hook up my Monster Amps fir awhile. I found out they need dedicated 15 amp breakers each and that is quite a task as my whole basement is finished. I may have to wait for the reno to undertake that without the wife going nuts on me. I may just wait for new speakers to breach that project. It will give me more time to research what rack to get/build.

I aslo need to figure out a decent radbox for my HTPC as my plans were to mount the rad in the wall, and exhaust into an adjacent room. I would also like to havve an intake and exhaust fan and also put in an access panel for wiring. Just need a way to fancy it up as I have a nice pool table in that room.

I will just keep plugging along until it is finnished

Thanks for the input guys. Keep it coming!!

Banned
    I was hoping to have the gear this week, but I dont think it is going to happen now Looks like early next week.

Will get you guys pics as soon as it shows up!

Banned
    Stuff finally arrived and will be picking it up tonite. Pics to follow soon

Xtreme Enthusiast
    =p nice projector maybe go for a 3 CHIP DLP later! XD

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
    Stuff finally arrived and will be picking it up tonite. Pics to follow soon
    Come on TT, update us?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Banned
    Sorry guys. Been having some issues witch have resulted in some ugly holes with the ceiling. Also having some extremely annoying issue with my SC-05.

The video switching in it is borked in some fashion. It will not regularly connect video/audio on start-up and almost never will on input switch. The Projo just goes to to default blue sceen and says "no input". Driving me friggin crazy. At first I thought it was the 10M Energy Connoisseur cable, but I ruled it out by going hard into the source without the Amp in-line.

I also have to cut open my ceiling and scab a 2"x10" in-between the joists as I dont have enough lens shift to get the Projo square to the screen without Keystone and that is a hug no-no in my opinion. I could use Drywall hangers, but not going to hang 8G from them no-way no-how.

I will snap some pics tonite if you can forgive the holes in the walls.

I do have to say even with an slightly out of focus picture, it is still stunning

Also the Tripp-lite UPS I bought is sick too.

Banned
    Ok, here is some pics. Not complete of course, so there will be more as I get things done.

A little bar atmosphere

The big unit

The craptastic stand I mentioned earlier LOL

Bit of a closer look at the Amp and HTPC. UPS is on the bottom

Gaming ?

If you look close you can see my Dinovo Edge is missing keys... Hmmmm? I wonder who could have done that ....

LOL

Screen and front end

Closet the AV gear will go in

MMMM Bitstream

Where I relax

There we go. Just gotta keep at it and I think it should be quite awesome.

I am Xtreme
    Ok, here is some pics. Not complete of course, so there will be more as I get things done.

A little bar atmosphere

The big unit
    The craptastic stand I mentioned earlier LOL

Bit of a closer look at the Amp and HTPC. UPS is on the bottom

Gaming ?

If you look close you can see my Dinovo Edge is missing keys... Hmmmm? I wonder who could have done that ....

LOL

Screen and front end
    Closet the AV gear will go in
    MMMM Bitstream

Where I relax

There we go. Just gotta keep at it and I think it should be quite awesome.

SAA-WEAT! Thanks for the PICs!

One thing though, make damned sure that closet is ventilated!
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    SAA-WEAT! Thanks for the PICs!

One thing though, make damned sure that closet is ventilated!
    Thanks m8!

I will be ventilating it. The pool table room is on tthe other side about 4 feet lower so I can vent and put in a wiring access. Just have to figure out a way to make it look good.

More to come

Xtremeish
    Sweet!

Nice sofa! And finally someone who understands that you need to have a leg support cushion!

Unless you keep the door closed and not the components super tightly packed I would not bother with ventilation. Give the Receiver and Amp some nice breathing room and really your all set cooling wise.

That room needs black paint!

Put the center on a mount of some kind and tilt it towards your ears, it helps. I think I would buy another center of that kind, just to get that extra out of the center channel where most of the sound is anyway.

We want a freeze frame shot of a movie with excellent picture quality!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallenator View Post
    Sweet!

Nice sofa! And finally someone who understands that you need to have a leg support cushion!

Unless you keep the door closed and not the components super tightly packed I would not bother with ventilation. Give the Receiver and Amp some nice breathing room and really your all set cooling wise.

Put the center on a mount of some kind and tilt it towards your ears, it helps. I think I would buy another center of that kind, just to get that extra out of the center channel where most of the sound is anyway.

I will be running a Harmony 900 so I think the door will be closed on the closet, so I will be going for ventilation. The Tripp-Lite UPS is one of the loudest fan cooled devices I have ever heard. No idea why it would need to be that loud, but the thing is amazing. It regenerates perfect 120v 60hz AC constantly, so has zero response time and finally got their alert software running on the HTPC and gives you every bit of information you could ever ask for. Even gives current wattage consumption and battery life at that output. It can still operate at 70v and over 130v, and the "brown" power aspect I like the most as the rural power grid can be flaky when it wants to be.

I have been keeping my eye open for a nice Center Channel stand to hide the speaker post and get it pointed upwards slightly. Will scoop one if I see one I like. Trying not to get to into the speaker aspect until I replace them and build the false wall they will be hiding behind and where the Sub enclose will be. Gonna be wrapping it all in some light absorbing cloth and painting the room much darker. I dont know if I can go with a flat paint as the current paint is flat and the kids are nuking it quickly LOL.

As far as the screen shot goes it will be awhile. I will be scabbing in a piece of 2"x10" in-between the joists in the ceiling so I can solid mount the projo and not worry about it, and that will get me perfectly square to the screen, so I dont need keystone. After I do that I will most likely move the A/V equipment to the Closet, which means I will run the correct wiring to the closet for the Monster Amps. If I do that that means new drywall, which means.... This all could take awhile before I have pics. LOL

And thanks for the comment on the Sofa I love that thing. Good 'ol Lazy Boy FTW!!

Thanks for all the ideas guys!

Keep them coming!
    Last edited by turtletrax; 12-18-2009 at 12:48 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Sweet!

Most amps need air from at least 3 sides and the top! Yes, I'd close the door LOL! Mine use to be in the closet when I had my den set up long-wise, the Den is rectangular. Now, I'm doing it across the shorter portion (cheat, smaller LCD TV is needed!

Quote Originally Posted by turtletrax
    Thanks m8!

I will be ventilating it. The pool table room is on tthe other side about 4 feet lower so I can vent and put in a wiring access. Just have to figure out a way to make it look good.

More to come
    You're very welcomed!

That's like I was trying to explain to Shintai several times. I'm not limited to one PC or sound system, that would be easy. I'd have a Kill Computer and Sound system but my wife and daughter would use it. I have 4 PC's, Two LCD's, 4 receivers, 4 CRT's, 2 AMPs, 4 speakers for them, 6 guitars (4Basses--2Leads) lost count of how many speakers all in a two story 2100 Sq-ft house. He insisted that he knew how much I could afford or that I didn't have anything by looking at the modest system in my Sig

I can't play games like I use to. I'm 52, will be 53 in about 6 weeks. Arther and his wife Idis are doing a number on my fingers and hands. I love Bass and would rather use that time "Thumppin'".

Instead of Black, I'd go with Dark Blue or Red, though a neutral Dark Gray works too. I have one Dark red wall with Gold Curtains to accent it.

The shorter distance across the room meant I had to shorten the distance between the speakers. The Center speaker is a 200W Sony, the mains and Sub are "Hausegemacht" and there are Optimus Mach-Ones on the rear channel.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Banned
    Thanks for the ideas on paint. I was thinking a deep red would look pretty awesome

Dont need to go any further with Shintai LOL,

The TV in your pic reminded me of a great story when I was working for the small home theater company. I was bored and had no installs and the sale floor was busy as hell so I helped out in sales. The guy I was talking to was pretty cool and he asked me what "Regza" meant. I told him it was Spanish for testicle He believed me until I started killing myself laughing, along with the other salesmen. To this day they still laugh about that

Sounds like you gots lotsa stuff there Donnie I like! I like!

"Arther and his wife Idis" LOL.

Xtremeish
    Sounds great, looking forward to even more pictures

Most amps need air from at least 3 sides and the top! Yes, I'd close the door LOL! Mine use to be in the closet when I had my den set up long-wise, the Den is rectangular. Now, I'm doing it across the shorter portion (cheat, smaller LCD TV is needed!
    We have our cinema electronics in a "small" closet, 1.2m wide, about 60cm high. Receiver is a little cramped in there, as there are components stacked rather tightly over it, however it only get a comfortably hot. On the other side there is a Emotiva XPA-3 sitting there alone, this does not even get properly warm and that is with the doors closed.
    That being said it's easy to get an amp pretty hot, just stack a component over it.
    I tried this the first time I got my monolith, 50Kg Primare A32 awesomenes, setting the cd-player right over it made everything rather hellish. I knew that this was not a viable installation, but I had to test it

The way it's now is a bit to much again, but I suppose that is just safe and normal given the room around it.

I am Xtreme

We have our cinema electronics in a "small" closet, 1.2m wide, about 60cm high. Receiver is a little cramped in there, as there are components stacked rather tightly over it, however it only get a comfortably hot. On the other side there is a Emotiva XPA-3 sitting there alone, this does not even get properly warm and that is with the doors closed.
    That being said it's easy to get an amp pretty hot, just stack a component over it.
    I tried this the first time I got my monolith, 50Kg Primare A32 awesomenes, setting the cd-player right over it made everything rather hellish. I knew that this was not a viable installation, but I had to test it

The way it's now is a bit to much again, but I suppose that is just safe and normal given the room around it.
    Heat is the enemy of any electronic part. Just like a CPU, heat shortens the life as well as changes the sound. By the way, very sweet system

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

His is similar but a little more expensive. My bud uses his in the top of his closet a regular slot retro fitted into the lower section of the sealed door, with a filter. Only filtered air, manual and auto setup. It is amazing how just the small draft, A. Keeps things Cool B. The filter keeps things from getting dusty as well. One of the better setups for a Media Closet I've seen. Wish I had pics. I'll try to get him to send me some to show off!

BTW, mine has to be heard to be believed. I got friends who spent 20 times what I did. To hear of them say not bad, not bad at all is a pretty good compliment. I built others that looked better but did sound as good. Still working on looks

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Banned

That is beautiful That is the cleanness that I hope to achieve over time here.

Heat is the enemy of any electronic part. Just like a CPU, heat shortens the life as well as changes the sound. By the way, very sweet system

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

His is similar but a little more expensive. My bud uses his in the top of his closet a regular slot retro fitted into the lower section of the sealed door, with a filter. Only filtered air, manual and auto setup. It is amazing how just the small draft, A. Keeps things Cool B. The filter keeps things from getting dusty as well. One of the better setups for a Media Closet I've seen. Wish I had pics. I'll try to get him to send me some to show off!

BTW, mine has to be heard to be believed. I got friends who spent 20 times what I did. To hear of them say not bad, not bad at all is a pretty good compliment. I built others that looked better but did sound as good. Still working on looks
    I like that idea Donnie. I have a 2"x4" wall in between the back of the closet and the pool table room and wanted to pull/push air from that room and alos have an access to be able to get at the wiring for the system. Things like that fan are perfect and can hopefully have it triggered by the amp or a thermostat.

Awesome stuff guys, thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    Wow thats some really nice equipment, first person I have seen around here that puts my system to shame, well everything except screen size. While 105" is nice, you should do what I did and take 16:9 widescreen to a new meaning, 16' wide x 9' tall for a screen is the way to go. It comes out to 221" diagonal.

Also, you can do a lot better with your sub, especially for the kind of money your throwing down...
    16' x 9' for a HT setup? That's nuts, how big is your HT room? I use screens of that size (usually 16' x 12' 4:3) for medium to large scale events, with a few hundred up to about 2000 people viewing from at least 24' away. I would love to see pics. What sort of proj and lens are you using? Must be a pretty short throw
    Mobo: DFI X48 T2R
    CPU: E8400 @ 3.78 (lil better)
    Ram: G.Skill F2 Pi @ 840
    GPU: 2x HIS IceQ4 4870 1gb X'd
    HDD: 2x Caviar Black 500gb

Cooling
    GTZ, FC EK's, 655B with EK Rev.2 Top, RX120 w/GT1850's push/pull, MCR240 w/GT1850's in push, Frozen Q n Primochill 1/2" Tubin

Xtreme Member

I would recommend SVS subs and paint the walls with a darker shade as well. If you want the best viewing experience, consider black for the screen side of your room. It will really make your projection stands out like a floating image. Proper ambient lighting control is also crucial for the HD950 since it outputs quite a low lumens. Lastly, you can consider room acoustic tweaks such as carpets and other treatment materials. I've integrated most of these ideas into my own setup above.

Phil

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Philwong View Post
    [IMG]

I would recommend SVS subs and paint the walls with a darker shade as well. If you want the best viewing experience, consider black for the screen side of your room. It will really make your projection stands out like a floating image. Proper ambient lighting control is also crucial for the HD950 since it outputs quite a low lumens. Lastly, you can consider room acoustic tweaks such as carpets and other treatment materials. I've integrated most of these ideas into my own setup above.

Phil
    Absolutely beautiful Phil!

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!