Thread: velociraptor too slow?

velociraptor too slow?

my velociraptor 300gb is making a lot of noise and i think is slow or maybe im wrong??

HD Tune Pro: WDC WD3000GLFS-01F8U0 Benchmark

Read transfer rate
    Transfer Rate Minimum : 45.0 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Maximum : 118.5 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Average : 103.1 MB/sec
    Access Time : 7.2 ms
    Burst Rate : 122.1 MB/sec
    CPU Usage : 3.6%

SLC
    Doesn't look slow to me.

Xtreme Guru
    looks decent to me.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It depends on the file size of the transfer. When you read benches indicating 130Mb/s rates, it's not a very big file size.

what about the clicking noise that the velociraptor makes.. is that something normal?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lester01 View Post
    what about the clicking noise that the velociraptor makes.. is that something normal?
    "clicking noise" is kind of a subjective term and really depends on how loud it truly is, i cant hear it so i couldnt tell you if its abnormal or not, maybe you could give us something to compare it to like a pen tapping against something, or a baseball bat against a metal sign post (if the drive is really wreaked lol). i read that the raptor drives are loud seekers by nature. i have two raptors and they can get pretty noisy (not so much of a ticking noise but like a low audible rumbling noise).
    Last edited by Exahertz; 11-14-2009 at 05:10 PM.
    Current System Build
    Designaton:" Rad Hat "
      GPU: BFG 8800GTX | BFG 8600GT (Quad Monitor Setup)
    • Hard Drives:
      RAID: 2x 74GB Raptors on RAID 0 for OS Drives
    • Case and Power Supply:
      Case: Antec Case | PS: OCZ ProXstreame 1000W
    • Water Cooling:
      Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B | Rad: Dual Swiftech MCR320's | Fans: 6x Yate Loon D12SH-12's (W/ Variable RPM Rheostat) @ 88CFM Max Each - 528CFM Total!!!
    • (Water Blocks and Fittings):
      CPU: D-Tek Fusion Block | GPU: Danger Den Full Coverage 8800 Block | Mobo: EK's Mosfet, NorthBridge and SouthBridge Blocks
      Res: Swiftech Micro | Tee's: 4x MartinM's High Flow Copper Tee's | Elbow's: None | Y's: None
    Flow Order: >> Rad's 1 & 2 in parallel > Res > Pump > CPU > GPU > SB > NB > Mosfet 1 > Mosfet 2 >>
    Temperatures: CPU: 57°C Max, Running Prime95 | GPU: 58.3°C Max, Running 3Dmark | NorthBridge: Untested!
    Last Updated 11/11/09

I am Xtreme
    seems fine to me.. what controller? ur min is only low cause of that one-of spike - nothing to worry about there
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Looks on par for a Raptor. I don't mean this in a sarcastic way but rather in a serious one: What exactly were you expecting from the drive?
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Noob Overclocker
    That clicking noise seems to be something alot of the Raptors do - mine did it for ages before I got an SSD.
    After doing alot of googling it doesnt appear to be anything serious; you're not alone with it.
    Zombie Killer Corsair 700D with Quad Rad mod+240 rad mod/Asus Maximus III Formula/i5 750 @ 4Ghz/8GB GSkill Trident/HIS HD 6990/Dell u2711/120GB Kingston SSD Now!/All under EK watercooling goodness!
    HTPC Lian Li V354B/i5 750/4GB Corsair/MSI HD5770/60GB GSkill Phoenix/Corsair H50/EVGA P55 Micro SLi

Xtreme Addict
    hmmm ... i recall clicking sound ... or maybe grinding sound (i cant remember which) supposely is the harddisk re-adjusts itself due to the heat expansion of the physical disk slides

try testing by placing a fan and run an application which uses a lot of virtual memory (or replicating file) ... i sure hope it's just the heat ...

my old harddisks clicks a lot above 47°C

my 300GB Velo makes the same noise:

1. Upon startup and going into Windows
    2. Upon Shutdown right before the machine finally powers down

It is a "loud" click-click noise

I do not notice it during use inbetween those two times.