• I just read the reviews and then decide

48 10.91%
  • I think of them as gaming boards

28 6.36%
  • I think of them as overclocking boards

73 16.59%
  • I think of them as gaming and overclocking boards

161 36.59%
  • Interested in a ROG competiton board for OC ( no audio, no network etc )

55 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: ASUS ROG Owners/Users Feedback and Insights and Ideas. Your Opinion Counts!

Xtreme Member
    How about the ability to overclock and/or monitor my Maximus III Formula with an Android phone thru the USB cable? Seems to me it would be simple to do. I know the new one has "Bluetooth ROG Connect lalaldifreakinDA! It only works on WinBlows mobile devices right via bluetooth only. A hardwired connection for the Android devices would be nice. Show some love for the folks who already bought that $300 motherboard from you. Android is open source c'mon dudes!
    i5 2500K@ 4.5ghz turbo
    TT Spin-Q
    ASUS P8P67 EVOs
    4GB (2 x 2) Ocz Platinums @ 1600mhz
    Diamond 6970 2gb Catalyst 11.1
    2 X 1.5tb WD Drives
    LG DVD burner
    Win7 64 bit Home Premium
    Corsair HX 850w
    In a slightly modified Antec 1200

Xtreme Member
    dont know if this thread is still monitored by asus, but anyway:

have two rampage 3 extreme boards here in front of me. after using abit boards for the last years and abit UNFORTUNATELY has left, i decided to switch to asus.

what i miss is the ability to control fans! its fine to have all this 4 pin headers spread all over the board, but unfortunately 90% of the aftermarket fans out there are simple 3 pin fans. as we all know, connecting such a fan to a 4 pin header simply runs the fan at full speed with no ability to control it anymore!

so first point for improvement would be to implement the option of switching every single fan between 3 pin and 4 pin:

come on, its not that hard to control the speed of a 3 pin fan by modulating its 12V power line with the pwm signal instead of simply sending the pwm signal to nowhere. remember 3 pin fans wont use the pwm signal! ok, you need to amplify the pwm signal first, but the transistor doing this is already there.

next would be the relation between fan speed and temperature. its fine to have some sensors packed with the board to use them for temperature sensing and controlling the fan speed of the opt fans. but what about using the already built in sensors. the board is already monitoring various temperatures. lets link this temperatures to the fan control. no need for additional sensors any more. so each fan header could be switched between 3 pin and 4 pin fan and each fan header can select any of the available temperatures to be used for fan control.

abit did this years ago. cant understand why none of the remaining motherboard manufacturers is doing this? again, this is not rocket science!

i hate to build my own circuits to control 3 pin fans with the 4 pin headers available on motherboards, when all this can be done in software (bios) very easy!
    having a gui to control this from within os would be nice, but don't waste your time on this. would be already happy if fans can be controlled by bios. wont even dream of controlling them from the os. dont come up with fan expert now. this is completely useless as it allows control of cpu fan only and the fan used needs to be a 4 pin fan ...
    Processor: Intel Core i7 990X
    Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme
    Memory: Corsair CMT6GX3M3A2000C8
    Video Card: MSI N680GTX Lightning
    Power Supply: Seasonic S12 650W
    Case: Chieftec BH-01B-B-B

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have the Gene 1156 micro board and I can control my fans?

Quote Originally Posted by fgw;
    dont know if this thread is still monitored by asus, but anyway:

have two rampage 3 extreme boards here in front of me. after using abit boards for the last years and abit UNFORTUNATELY has left, i decided to switch to asus.

what i miss is the ability to control fans! its fine to have all this 4 pin headers spread all over the board, but unfortunately 90% of the aftermarket fans out there are simple 3 pin fans. as we all know, connecting such a fan to a 4 pin header simply runs the fan at full speed with no ability to control it anymore!

so first point for improvement would be to implement the option of switching every single fan between 3 pin and 4 pin:

come on, its not that hard to control the speed of a 3 pin fan by modulating its 12V power line with the pwm signal instead of simply sending the pwm signal to nowhere. remember 3 pin fans wont use the pwm signal! ok, you need to amplify the pwm signal first, but the transistor doing this is already there.

next would be the relation between fan speed and temperature. its fine to have some sensors packed with the board to use them for temperature sensing and controlling the fan speed of the opt fans. but what about using the already built in sensors. the board is already monitoring various temperatures. lets link this temperatures to the fan control. no need for additional sensors any more. so each fan header could be switched between 3 pin and 4 pin fan and each fan header can select any of the available temperatures to be used for fan control.

abit did this years ago. cant understand why none of the remaining motherboard manufacturers is doing this? again, this is not rocket science!

i hate to build my own circuits to control 3 pin fans with the 4 pin headers available on motherboards, when all this can be done in software (bios) very easy!
    having a gui to control this from within os would be nice, but don't waste your time on this. would be already happy if fans can be controlled by bios. wont even dream of controlling them from the os. dont come up with fan expert now. this is completely useless as it allows control of cpu fan only and the fan used needs to be a 4 pin fan ...
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 4.8GHz
    MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-G1.Sniper M5 MATX 1150
    MEMORY: G.SKILL Trident X 8GB 2400MHz 9-11-11-31 1T
    GPU: 2 x eVGA GTX 780 SC
    SOUND KRK Rokit 5 Limited Edition White Studio Monitors
    SSD: 4 x Samsung 128GB Pro's Raid 0
    PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W
    COOLING: 2 x Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 420mm 6 x Swiftech Helix 140mm Fans
    CASE: Lian Li PC-C32B TECH STATION MOD build log coming soon
    MONITOR: ASUS VG278HE Black 27" 149Hz
    O.S: Windows 7 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    you have 3 pin fans connected to the 4 pin connectors and can control them? how?
    Processor: Intel Core i7 990X
    Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme
    Memory: Corsair CMT6GX3M3A2000C8
    Video Card: MSI N680GTX Lightning
    Power Supply: Seasonic S12 650W
    Case: Chieftec BH-01B-B-B

Xtreme Addict
    That's lame actually. My older P5Q Deluxe was able to control RPM on either 3 or 4 pin, much more expensive and advanced RoG class Rampage II Gene can't...
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

OVERPRICED!! there's no reason to pay a premium for a board that doesn't have a performance advantage even comparing to the $200 Sabertooth X58. The premium is for the fancy chipset cooler. Nothing else. That is not called innovation asus! The other thing Asus needs to do is offer better support on their forums and quicker replies to emails. You would think with all their money and with all their efforts to make their products visually superior they could invest some energy to make their website/forums more aesthetically pleasing. It needs to have a design that reflects their so called "commitment" to innovative products. It needs to be redesigned stat!! No NF200 chip for a $400 board. QC another issue. A board costing this much should have no DOA issues.

No one can argue that Evga has the best customer support. What really intrigues me as that no one capitalizes on their idea of "being closer" to the gamer. I don't get the same feeling with Asus. With Evga I get the feeling there's someone to talk to if I have a problem with the gear and with Asus it feels like they hide from the public.

Btw, what the heck do you offer 5 years warranty for the Sabertooth x58 but for the most expensive motherboard R3E, 3 years. That's ridiculous. Boards over $300 should have lifetime warranty. Although most will have replaced theirs within 1 year, some might want to hold on to theirs for a backup pc. The option should be there.
    Last edited by photog10; 10-11-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I own an ASUS Rampage Extreme Motherboard (Socket 775). I think it is a very well made motherboard, however there are a few niggles which are quite frustrating.

1) Poor application of poor quality thermal compound on in built Heatpipe assembly, I would have hoped that on a high end board which costs the earth decent thermal compound and proper application of the thermal compound would come as standard.
    2) Poor BIOS updates. There are still a few outstanding BIOS bugs on the Rampage Extreme. Such as using a Manual Multiplier on a QX9650 causing a HALT at POST on a COLD BOOT. This bug was resolved on the ASUS P5E3 standard motherboard, yet oddly is STILL in the RAMPAGE EXTREME Motherboard.
    3) SATA Option Rom STILL uses the archaic P35 era 7.5 ICH9R Firmware. This is useless for Solid State Drives. I had to mod my own BIOS to incorporate the 8.9 firmware which would let me RAID my SSD's. For some reason ASUS support listened to my request for this to be resolved on the P5E3 Standard, yet did not respond to my request to resolve this issue on the RAMPAGE EXTREME?!

I agree that the board is over priced, but you do get some great features (LCD poster is one of them), as well as the higher quality capacitors and overall build quality. I would like to see a 5 year warranty and a better quality Fan supplied for the NB Cooler. Other than that I am pretty happy with the physical components, just a bit miffed by glaring bugs/issues which still need to be resolved with the BIOS.

John
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Half the problems with lack of bios updates, lacking support, ect, has to do with asus having so many damn motherboards. Selection is nice, but at the rate you guys create new boards and leave the older ones in the dust it doesn't pay to buy an asus board. Spend some time on your products and offer some support. I posted in the asus forums about my R3G not having a bios flash option over ROG Connect... even though it is marketed has having this feature everywhere... not a single reply.

Basically this is a prime example of a company spreading themselves too thin. I'd rather buy from a smaller company that specializes at something, rather then one who has it's hands in everything.
    Last edited by Diverge; 10-27-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    Desktop
    [Asus Rampage III Gene] [i7 920 D0] [12GB OCZ3B2000C9LV6GK] [HIS HD 5970] [SeaSonic X750 Gold ] [Windows 7 (64bit)] [OCZ Vertex 30GB x3 Raid0] [Koolance CPU 360] [XSPC Razer 5970] [TFC 360 rad, D5 w/ Koolance RP-450X2]
    HTPC
    [Origen AE S10V] [MSI H57M-ED65] [ i5-661 w/ Scythe Big Shuriken] [Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB ] [ SeaSonic X650 Gold ] [ OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD ] [ SAMSUNG Spinpoint 640GB 7200 RPM 2.5"][Panasonic UJ-225 Blu-ray Slot Burner] [ Ceton InfiniTV4]

I solved all my problems with a Gigabyte board. I've grown so weary of watching all the pointless, useless iphone/ipad ROG updates. Meanwhile, the BIOS' have issues and there has never been any existing support that "speaka engrish" and now our only link to any of Asus' productivity has more important things to do (rightfully so).

Asus is going downhill fast. Just switch to another brand that's still in business. Suck though cause I've been loyal to Asus, but after the past 2 months of useless updates to icrap and ROG. I'm done.

Asus, you've only made this thread for appearances. Period. You could care less.
    |Intel i7 980X @ 4.2Ghz
    |Venomous X Black
    |Asus Rampage III Exteme
    |6GB Kingston HyperX @ 2000Mhz
    |EVGA Geforce GTX 480 2 way SLI
    |Antec 1000w PSU
    |Antec 1200
    |Corsair 128GB Nova SSD
    |Dual Samsung PX2370 LED Monitors

"speaka engrish"

Asus, you've only made this thread for appearances. Period. You could care less.

YUP YUP!

Xtreme Guru
    asus better get in here and tell us whats going on. I just bought a sabertooth open box on newegg and need to know if I did the right thing. should I have spent the extra money on a rampage 2 or 3 or will this board clock just as good. im on a xeon w3540. anyone with this similar setup what temp should I expect the cold bug at? are there any known mods like hicookies on 1156? lemme know. thanks I dont care about bells and whistles or overclocking with my cell phone I just want a 1366 board that is cheap and can clock and has 2x16 at actual 2x 16 and a way to save settings in the bios. that all I care about and that is what most of us want. cheap boards that are strong and have a good bios. very simple. screw the fancy crap. we just want to overclock.
    Last edited by trans am; 11-08-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Xtreme Member

Lightbulb

hello and i dont know if this is a good idea but here it goes!
    product integration:
    Asus ROG Display/GPU
    1. HD ROG ASUS DISPLAY
    2. Option for OSD to monitor/tweak cpu/mobo pameters
    3. Integration with ASUS OC Util.
    4. ROG Edition ASUS GPU/*intergrates with ROG Display
    this can work...i want to see this type of integration deeper.

Hello....

I have to say that I was really disappointed with the ASUS Maximus II Formula.
    I bought it when it came out in order to oc my cpu's...
    It runs well with dual-cores but unfortunately not with quad-cores - especially when OC...
    A Much better board would be the Gigabyte P45 UD3P !
    I found even HTT at 500MHz @ quad to be possible...

On top of that I didn't really want to spend that much money anymore for asus boards.

After some months I switched to socket 1156 and bought an Intel i5-760 together with a P55 board from evga. It runs well but not awesome.
    For example; 4 ram modules didn't really run stably, only with vtt over 1.26V

So I changed my evga board and got an asus maximus III extreme.
    What should I say .... It is one of the best boards I've ever had!
    High OC possibilities and very stable - even with 4 ram modules... just need 1.17V VTT - awesome.

Also the new Asus Maximus IV Extreme seems to be pretty good for OC!

It looks like Asus learned from their biggest mistake with the Maximus II Formula. But I still think these boards are to expensive - especially with their crappy customer support team in Germany!

GaBBa

Xtreme Member
    Got my new Sandybridge, now where is my Rampage/Maximus IV Gene?
    MSI 890GXM-G65
    LAN Gear MOM
    Phenom II 1055T 3.8 Ghz 1.4V Batch 1015DPAW
    Corsair H50 w/120x38
    Asus 5850CU 1000/1125
    4x2048 OCZ DDR3 1600 Obsidian
    Western Digital WD1002FAEX
    GSkill Titan 128 gig SSD
    Silverstone SST 75F-P
    3DMark06 21837
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=13974577

Lafayette, People's Republic of New Jersystan
    Random idea: a p67/z68 m-ITX board. Overclocking friendly, of course, and designed so that decently-sized CPU coolers will fit. Oh, and actual heatsinks on the MOSFETs.

Probably not feasible, but its an idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
    Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
    Got my new Sandybridge, now where is my Rampage/Maximus IV Gene?
    Good things are coming I promise

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason@ASUS View Post
    Thanks for the re-assurance, although it's only a 2600 (non K), I still believe it deserves the best mATX mobo, and I'll hold out for it.
    MSI 890GXM-G65
    LAN Gear MOM
    Phenom II 1055T 3.8 Ghz 1.4V Batch 1015DPAW
    Corsair H50 w/120x38
    Asus 5850CU 1000/1125
    4x2048 OCZ DDR3 1600 Obsidian
    Western Digital WD1002FAEX
    GSkill Titan 128 gig SSD
    Silverstone SST 75F-P
    3DMark06 21837
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=13974577

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mason any ETA on any new Gene mobo with the Sandy/1155?

Also any sneak peeks on the boards with color schemes? PICTURES

Not sure why so many peeps are crying over the prices. Asus sells many versions of the same boards if you can't afford the higher priced ROG setup you should not bash Asus or others for owning them because you can afford them.
    Also I really like how Asus has the new polish look on the caps along with the color schemes as well. I just wish Asus would come out more quicker with the ROG boards along with the GENE when the new sockets hit the market. Seems like the GENE boards always 3 months behind then when you finally get it now its out dated..
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 4.8GHz
    MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-G1.Sniper M5 MATX 1150
    MEMORY: G.SKILL Trident X 8GB 2400MHz 9-11-11-31 1T
    GPU: 2 x eVGA GTX 780 SC
    SOUND KRK Rokit 5 Limited Edition White Studio Monitors
    SSD: 4 x Samsung 128GB Pro's Raid 0
    PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W
    COOLING: 2 x Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 420mm 6 x Swiftech Helix 140mm Fans
    CASE: Lian Li PC-C32B TECH STATION MOD build log coming soon
    MONITOR: ASUS VG278HE Black 27" 149Hz
    O.S: Windows 7 Pro x64

I'm planning to build now. How far out is the new Gene? I was going to get the ASUS P8P67 M Pro but if the Gene is coming out in next month or so I may want to wait. Can you tell us the month or at least the year quarter?

I got my MIIF back from RMA months ago, and recently decided to use it for a backup pc...same problem: 'can't find storage device'....looks like another RMA-

This board has had more down-time than up-time, very disappointing...
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    E8400
    TRUE120
    GSkill 4GB (2x2GB) 8800/1100
    Velociraptors 2@150GB - WDCBlack 1T - Crucial M4 64GB
    HD4870 512
    Antec TruePower New TP-750

Xtreme Member
    rog bluetooth fail.

in past i've got an asus crosshair IV extreme, and now i've got an asus rampage III extreme .... with this two mainboard there's no way to use rog bluetooth. it sends files and receive to & from my smartphone and that's ok , but ... The RC bluetooh DOES NOT WORK! ... oh.. my I8000 is on the QVL on the both motherboards... so why the hell isn't working with the rog app?! fail.

Xtreme Member
    latest bios 0505 for Rampage 3 Formula is dated from September 2010

thats really a bad bios support

no hpet option in bios nothing

2 bios updates since the board is out

wow

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire4Wire View Post
    latest bios 0505 for Rampage 3 Formula is dated from September 2010

thats really a bad bios support

no hpet option in bios nothing

2 bios updates since the board is out

wow
    I second that... RAID ROM in most BIOS is ridiculously outdated.

And is not addiction to higher numbers for the sake of it, manufacturers released updates for the firmware of their controllers to address issues that users are experiencing, in many cases not just niggles but real showstoppers.

Personally I have two R3Gs that won't do RAID 0 with Sandforce based SSDs. Intel fixed that 3+ months ago, but ASUS hasn't updated their BIOSes yet...

And is not that they're not aware of the issue, many users (including myself) have raised tickets with this issue in the last few months, but nothing has come out of it.

So yeah, in a nutshell better after-sales support would be a really cool feature to add the ROG range.
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Member
    i got bios 0602 dated on 19-11-2010 for Rampage 3 formula this bios fixes an sleep issue with usb controller and the 0 grad issue shown as cpu temp

thats it and till then no more updates

i called asus support germany bios 0602 is the GREATEST and LATEST one

lol

Xtreme Mentor
    I can't believe 78 people think Asus ROG products have "great long term BIOS support"

The Rampage III Extreme has not had a BIOS update for 5 months!

Heaps of memory compatibility issues for many people (the now famous 'cold boot' problem), odd issues with certain CPU and memory but try the same gear on a UD5/UD7 it works flawlessly. Also has old intel ICH10 firmware and very poor support/results for SSD's and I know quite a few people have not purchased this board for that reason, or the cold boot problems.

Pick up your act please Asus BIOS team. Give us the support we pay so much for.

Don't release 50 different models then forget about them faster than you make them. FOCUS your energy on a few good boards and stop letting your marketing team ruin everything.
    Last edited by CryptiK; 03-16-2011 at 08:08 AM.
    Ci7 990X::Rampage III Extreme::12GB Corsair Dominator 1866C7GT::2 x EVGA SC Titans in SLI::Corsair AX1200::TJ07::Watercooled
    Ci7 920 3849B018::Rampage II Extreme::6GB GSKILL Trident 2000C9 BBSE::EVGA GTX580::Antec Signature SG850::TJ09::Aircooled w/TRUE 120X

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast