• I just read the reviews and then decide

48 10.91%
  • I think of them as gaming boards

28 6.36%
  • I think of them as overclocking boards

73 16.59%
  • I think of them as gaming and overclocking boards

161 36.59%
  • Interested in a ROG competiton board for OC ( no audio, no network etc )

55 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS ROG Owners/Users Feedback and Insights and Ideas. Your Opinion Counts!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kow_ciller View Post
    1. That would be a good idea especially if you intend to contend with boards that use digital pwn, and as CryptiK already stated, please bring back the pwn temp monitoring.

2. Go with whatever has the best cooling, if it happens to be individual heatsinks that would be the best route.

3. I would say go with whatever you guys can do to make it the best sound available to us for the least amount of money. If we want to get a high-end sound card we wont be limited because you guys threw in a $60 sound card addition that isn't much better than onboard sound. But I do like the addition of a xonar instead of that POS X-fi that comes with the boards currently.

4. I think the best bet would be to remove all legacy items except for a single PS2 slot. There are alot of people out there who use PS2 keyboards and I dont think that a single slot would cause any problems.

5. If you guys could get it right and allow a nice amount of voltage into the fan headers you could make fan controllers a thing of the past. If I could run my san ace fans on the motherboard headers without fearing that I would blow something out that would be great, especially if I was able to control the fan speed while in my OS.

6. I really have no problem with alot of bios updates if they are tweaking a particular problem, but make major bios updates as well and note that the ones that are just tweaking things are infact tweaking, and the major ones are actually major bios updates.
    I agree with you on any point at 99%.
    I have some more comments on:

5) fan connectors are enough but we need the control, from 0 to full rpm of any header from Windows, using speedfan like programs.

6) it is the time to go with EFI BIOS like in P5Q series.

Bye,

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by kgtiger View Post
    Sux getting the run around.
    Has your hardware supplier been able to work this out for you BenchZowner?
    No, and I wouldn't have to bother, Asus could've solved this issue with a single click on their side, but they'd rather not.

Well, I'll just burn the card and RMA it, maybe that'll teach them
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Member
    Well I join that MIIF owners ...did the same back in the days and was also scared by the passiv heatsink manufacturing
    Bad striped basis and dry thermal compound ...even bad contact with NB, at last/least all those crappy bios issues !! shame -_-

To be honnest, my only ROG mobo I had pleasure to clock with was the Commando !! So happy yep ...but also so so long time now :p
    To stop quickely ^^ I don't care about bling too ...what we all (excepted fanboys maybe lol) expect/want is to be able to go HIGH with the board we spend (frankly) our money to own !!

Keep on workin though ...and please better bios
    Klan-OC Team .fr

- ASUS M5G/M4G - GIGABYTE GA-P55/67A-UD7 - EVGA P55 FTW - GA-EP45-UD3P -
    - INTEL i7 3770 & 2600K/i5 750/i5 661 & i3 530/E8600/E6800/E6500K +CORSAIR H70 or THERMALRIGHT TrueBlack 120 (Full WC/SS/Cascade/LNē optional ^^) -
    - G.SKILL TridentX PC3 2400C10 (2x4gb)/Ripjaws X PC3 17600C7 & PerfectStorm PC3 17066C8[/B] (2x2gb)/CRUCIAL Value PC3 10700 (2x1gb @880 cas6)
    CRUCIAL BallistiX Tracer PC8500 (2x1gb @704 cas5) -
    - SAPPHIRE HD 7970 / SLI MSI GTX580 Lightning / MSI GTX275 Lightning / MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk / ASUS HD 4870 1Gb DK / CFs MSI HD5770 Hawk & ASUS HD4770 -
    - CORSAIR AX1200 & HX650 / ENERMAX REVOLUTION 1250w & MODU 82+625w -
    - CRUCIAL M4 128Gb RAID0 /OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb & Turbo 30Gb / WD Velociraptor 150Gb/Raid0 & WD Raptor 76Gb/Raid0 /3x WD Caviar Black 2To -

THE AMOUNT OF HW ISN'T REPRESENTATIVE OF YOUR SKILLZ ...IF YOU'RE THE KING OF THE HILL, PROVE IT THOUGH!!

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Submitted a technical support inquiry about the missing accessories & Dirt 2 coupon 2 days ago... and here's their... proper reply

Good job Asus!
    I decided to give them a last chance, so I called their tech support hotline to see what they have to say.
    Well... after an agonizingly annoying 25mins hold I got lucky and somebody dropped his sandwich and decided to pick up that silly ringing device.
    Hello ? What do you want to eat boss ? Mee goring with pork. Ello sir, very sorry to tell you we at Asus have no Dirt2 and never sell any pok, no pok at all
    Excuse my weird sense of humor ( no pok at all?! )

In short what they told me ( and it did sound like the person on the other end of the line wanted to get rid of me asap! ) is... "I don't know anything about the coupon and the free game. Go to the shop please".

It's nice to see Asus is still providing their customers with... excellent support!

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

I owned a lot of asus boards, but from ROG, I owned a REX II and i still own a Maximus Extreme for some celeron pushing. I was kind of dissapointed of the max BCLK in the first, i never got it to boot past 227. I know at the time of launch it was a pretty good BCLK, but the Asus P6T Deluxe did the same, for about 100 euro less, so besides of the looks, the watercooling option and maybe the OC buttons, there was (imo) no reason to buy the REXII...

I like the asus boards, their layouts and the bioses, but for top buck, i want a top board, that can keep up with the competition; somewhat like the classy. P6T6WS did a way better job at that; Lovely board (but no ROG), just like the REX X48; big thumbs up! ^^

The clrcmos, power and resetbuttons on the board are way to go! Can't even live without them anymore, and threw my case out of the window

On a sidenote: Looking for a REX X48, so if anyone is selling, plx pm

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    It's nice to see Asus is still providing their customers with... excellent support!
    Could also be a very annoyed person on the other line that doesn't care bout his job at all... bad recruiting ( probably a good looking dude or female, but zero interest in helping out the 1000th client of the day ) A mentality I encounter too much lately...

One thing for sure is Asus RMA is painfully slow, Tsjechie in Europe is not good enough, boards from MSI and Gigabyte return in a matter of weeks (2-4)... this is till now an adventure of more than 6 weeks (and this RMA was launched straight via my Asus spokes person, so my local pc shop got nothing to do with it)... and no news at all
    Gigabyte eg has excellent (online) follow up...
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 02-22-2010 at 11:02 AM.
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Mentor
    1 - Without a doubt your topend board should be digital PMW, especially when your competition has it.

2 - Heatsink - It should be good enough to handle the heat from decent over volting, whether that is as a single or individual part solution, test it and figure it out. I run water, so whatever it comes with is going to get pulled, but there are a lot of air guys out there that need a decent OEM heat sink on the board.

3 - Separate card is the best solution and have the first PCIe x1 slot capable of handling a full card without hitting the heat sink.

4 - None, not even PS2. It's 2010, let them go, life will still go on.

5 - Yes, fan controllers that handle at least 1 amp and temp probes that can work with after market sensors like the BP temp sensor plug for water cooling would be helpful.

6 - Bios updates on a regular basis is best for public perception, but I will be honest, I would rather you update the bios once every three months if it meant you actually put out a bios that was worth a damn. I see too many companies release monthly bios updates and they don't seem to be able to fix previous issues or they cause new ones (EVGA) or they release a new bios every 3-4 months and they either have no idea what was done or they didn't really fix anything (Foxconn).

Your top of the line board shouldn't be designed for first time overclockers, but it shouldn't be complicated either, it has to be a balance. If adding a feature means sacrificing another then see which one would benefit the overclocking crowd more. On your regular boards it's a different story, but on the top of the line board it should be focused around performance, user friendly and then cosmetics/features, especially if you are going to price it in the same price range as the top boards of your competition (Classified). I had the Maximus and Blitz, both were great boards. I got the REII and I was a little disappointed. The Classified was close in price and out performed it by quite a bit, then you had the Blood Rage which was a good chunk less and from a performance standpoint it performed as well if not better than the REII and it looked great to boot, so that didn't leave the REII in a good place. The new REIII looks to be pretty good, especially from what I have seen from Andre Yang, hopefully it won't be priced out of this world.

Off topic: BenchZowner, you must be the unluckiest guy I have ever seen or I must be the luckiest person in the world when it comes to dealing with Asus RMA issues. Each time I had to contact them, I was on hold maybe 5-10 minutes and that would be worst case. I would talk to tech support, explain the issue, tell them what I have already did and they would say "Looks like it is defective" and put me over to the RMA department, which took maybe 30 seconds to get someone on. Then maybe 5 minutes to work out the details, oh, and because I got a ROG series board, I got Advanced RMA for free, didn't have to pay for it in advance like some companies (EVGA). Got my new board within 5 business days (if that) and shipped the old board back. Simple. I have no idea what is going on with your situation, but you must have pissed off the MB gods.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

I am Xtreme
    Can you call Asus RMA then for me too :p In europe it's far too slowwwwwwwww. They need to fix this, over 6 Weeks now for 4 boards, not even news if they arrived yes or no at the RMA center...

Xtreme Mentor
    You know I here the RMA process in Europe is the worst. People on EVGA forums are always complaining about it. Maybe you guys should move to the U.S.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

I am Xtreme
    My local vendor is stopping eVGA products due to the RMA madness. I can even tell you that they refused to repair a board, that was shipped in perfect condition. When it got back the PCB was split wide open (the reasons they didn't want to repair it as they told us we dropped it on the floor : NOT, clumsy technician !!) Step up program works fine, RMA for eVGA needs more tweaking than their boards...

Back to Asus now, where are my boards :p

Xtreme Member
    to sir BenchZoner is it me who's wrong or... please follow this link

this is 5970 bundle
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...FJk&templete=2

and for the 5870 they don't write the bundle
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...Ir0&templete=2

cos maybe it's a different policy for each country (slap me if i'm wrong)

i'm over than 100 asus board no prob.
    each country might have diff policy. i'm glad where i live is not soooooo suckkkk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    to sir BenchZoner is it me who's wrong or... please follow this link
    I'm quite sure you're the one mistaken here

and for the 5870 they don't write the bundle
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...Ir0&templete=2
    They didn't write the bundle, but in the photo gallery for the 5870 Voltage Tweak you can see this...

(slap me if i'm wrong)
    I'll happily beachslap you [ j/k ]

I bought another one and there's the game coupon inside like it should.

Here's the package ( both packages are the same, have the same codes and the same DirT 2 sticker ):

Xtreme Member
    ouch that gonna hurt
    @ BenchZowner sorry my mistake then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Asus could just tell me "We're sorry, but we don't think it was a mistake on our side, it was 'stolen' probably by someone at or from the shop"... that would suffice ( even though they should just give me a code... it's quite simple isn't it )... instead they just said "We don't know about it, go to the shop"

Well, it's safe to assume that it was a mistake on their side, and the coupon was supposed to say "Asus is full of DIRTbags" and not Dirt 2

ASUS Technical Marketing Rep
    Hello All,

Through some of the feedback from this thread ( that has maintained on point and on track with regards to actual ROG feedback ) as well as communication with other forums, media and indivduals. I am proud to show 3 of our upcoming ROG solutions. Maximus III Extreme, Rampage III Extreme and Crosshair IV Formula.
    All boards at this point have reached MP state ( Mass production ) and it is just a question of continuing the polish/push to ensure the best bios and performance possible. Current results look to be very strong and I/ASUS have working closely with a number of indivuduals and media to make sure the right bios options and layout is present to allow for all segements of users whether it be stock, moderate clocking or true enthuiasts/benchers to experience an impressive level of funtionality and performance.

In case you guys have not seen them check it out.

We have also worked hard at refining the implementations/features on ROG boards and what we want to ensure is there at a minimum as well as what we continue to push in regards to new design/innovation.

As always i look forward to feedback and any questions, concerns or inqueries you guys have. Please enjoy the rest of your day!.

ASUS Technical Marketing Rep
    I will be updating this thread shortly with some of the new options we have come to intergrate into the bios that has been based of feedback as well as continual consideration. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

Xtreme Member
    About those boards, 1stly I see you have not used the loose onboard audio idea above.

As far as I read for the MIIIE, it is a great board, however last I checked the price was 340EUR (the cheapest I could find at least). That is overpriced considering that a classified board is barely 50EUR more.
    I also understand you have incorporated features like bluetooth overclocking which really is just extra money since i can't see how anyone would o/c through their cellphone.

Now to things I like about ROG boards:
    ROG connect-Great feature

LCD post screen- the reason i initially moved to the ROG boards was that I was fed up with my abit boards numeral display, I just wish that the thing would be a bit more rigid and more thought was given into it since it was barely standing on the table, the wires were virtually impossible to place from outside the case, and were too fragile. I would like to see something like an I/O port that could be accesed like a USB port.

The Sound cards that were provided till now were great, with a major drawback, the cables for the case couldn't possible reach to the soundcard to cennect my front jacks to it, + it made cable management a whole lot more difficult

The RE which I owned before my MIIIF was an excellent board, and i liked the way you could vahnge the HSF with a waterblock, however the swiftech one was much better thatn the stock one and i believe that the price for which it was included with the board was equal if not more than the one of the Swiftech block + it leaked from a joint once i tried it .Also, the fittings were not thought of, while i would like to see a waterblock in the future, i would prefer it to be more efficient, and have normal g 1/4 threads instead of those tubes and two headed fittings that came with it, since that only caused routing problems.

I like my MIIIF's Sata thing with individual Sata ports for each kind of Device, however making them angled would be much better.

Finally, what would be interesting would be a kinda 5.25 device with the post screen, fan controlling, O/C buttons incorporated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I fear naught, I hope naught. I am Free"
    Nikos Kazantzakis

Quote Originally Posted by stangracin2 View Post
    parents only blame stuff on video games because they don't know how to play them

Xtreme Member
    Great looking board, and from what I've read so far no slouch in performance area either.

Minor question: Is the PCIe x4 slot running off the IOH or the SB/PLX (if there even is a PLX on production boards)?

Xtreme Member
    oh my, it so sweet.
    why still not use the big heatsink for the IOH like the other brand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    @ the OP of this thread: just a suggestion, would you mind guys relocating, or mirroring Asus ROG web site somewhere in Europe or in the US, because it's just so freaking slow, at least from here
    in Europe, it's really crawling. I know you're based in Taiwan, and I can tell you you're not an exception >>> Lian-Li web site, Gigabyte web site...and others, are crawling too when accessed from the EU.
    Thanks

edit: btw Asus Global is slow too, has always been , and Asus localized (an hosted in other countries) pages are no solution as very often they're not up to date.
    Last edited by Logos; 03-14-2010 at 06:06 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme XIP
    An important note (Very Important) as a Rampage II eXtreme user , Can you guys Please , Please make sure there its not a low BCLK wall on this new Rampage III eXtreme like in the Rampage II eXtreme it was 217 BCLK wheter i bench on air or LN2 i did try it everything possible but the board would not go further than 217 BCLK and i had to buy a eVGA Classi for some 240 BCLK love , this is a big deciding factor for many overclockers in purchasing this board , thats my feedback , you guys are doing an extremely great job at Asus , Thank you.

Xtreme Addict
    I just got a Gene II used for 70$ which I look forward to, but if I was to buy a new board it would not be a Asus simply because of what I read about RMA being very bad compared to Gigabyte.

About cooling, I dont get why you use so low profile cooling solutions as they even with a fan are bad, the fins are very thick. And as others I like the idear of not having one big heatpipe so its easier to put 3. part cooling on.
    Desktop I5-3570k, 8GB Ram, GTX 560, Silverstone TJ08-E, Crucial M4 128GB, 750W Silver Power, ASUS P8Z77-M
    Laptop ThinkPad W520 2720QM /2 x 4 GB ram / Quadro 1000M / Crucial M4 128GB + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery
    Laptop 2 New Macbook Pro Retina / i7 QuadCore / 650 GT / 16GB Ram / 512 GB SSD
    Server: Athlon II X4 640, ASROCK K10N78, 8GB Ram, LSI MegaRaid 8 port, 64GB Vertex 1, 5 x 1 TB WD Raid6, 3 x 3TB Seagate Raid5

Quote Originally Posted by illuminatiASUS View Post
    Hello All,

Through some of the feedback from this thread ( that has maintained on point and on track with regards to actual ROG feedback ) as well as communication with other forums, media and indivduals. I am proud to show 3 of our upcoming ROG solutions. Maximus III Extreme, Rampage III Extreme and Crosshair IV Formula.
    All boards at this point have reached MP state ( Mass production ) and it is just a question of continuing the polish/push to ensure the best bios and performance possible. Current results look to be very strong and I/ASUS have working closely with a number of indivuduals and media to make sure the right bios options and layout is present to allow for all segements of users whether it be stock, moderate clocking or true enthuiasts/benchers to experience an impressive level of funtionality and performance.

In case you guys have not seen them check it out.

We have also worked hard at refining the implementations/features on ROG boards and what we want to ensure is there at a minimum as well as what we continue to push in regards to new design/innovation.

As always i look forward to feedback and any questions, concerns or inqueries you guys have. Please enjoy the rest of your day!.
    what about crosshair iv extreme???
    Last edited by imran7; 03-16-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    and what about not quoting the pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    and what about not quoting the pics
    lol!! your right but i want my question answered as soon as posssible

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast