• I just read the reviews and then decide

48 10.91%
  • I think of them as gaming boards

28 6.36%
  • I think of them as overclocking boards

73 16.59%
  • I think of them as gaming and overclocking boards

161 36.59%
  • Interested in a ROG competiton board for OC ( no audio, no network etc )

55 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS ROG Owners/Users Feedback and Insights and Ideas. Your Opinion Counts!

ASUS Technical Marketing Rep

ASUS ROG Owners/Users Feedback and Insights and Ideas. Your Opinion Counts!

This post is pretty straight forward. Currently we are working on a number of new exciting projects in the ROG product line and we would love to have your feedback. Your input can range from things you do not like about ROG to what you do like and as well as what you like to see.( we currently are focusing on feedback from P55 and X58 solutions but any ROG feedback is appreciated )

Ideas of General feedback would be like what type of cooling solutions would you be interested in. Did you feel the bios implementation was right or wrong in terms of options? Really no idea is too big or too small, our World Class R&D team really wants to reinforce why we are the premier motherboard innovator in the industry. We currently have spent a lot of time here at the ASUS ACI branch (America) building a direct connection with HQ to allow us to have access to base development of projects. This is the first time this has occurred and hopefully with great feedback we can prove it was worth it.

So examples of questions are noted below.

1. Do you use Tweak It and if you do what do you like or what do you not like about it.

2. For users on our P55 Platform do you use ROG connect if you do what do you like or what do you not like about it.

3. Do you use CPU level up or not? I know most users here would not use this feature.

4. Do you appreciate software add ins like our P55 solution providing game packet priority software or including 3D Mark software? (ROG is not just about providing a great enthusiast class board for overclocking and performance, it is also about designing a board and providing features that meet the wants and needs of Gamers, Power Users or General Enthusiasts.

These are just some of the questions that could be answered; please feel free to express your insights. Please try to stay focused on constructive feedback though.

Lastly to name some of our current features just for reference in this thread we have.

Please go to usa.asus.com to check under models for information regarding these features if you are not aware of them.

1. Tweak It - via keyboard or via hardware stick on the motherboard
    2. Probe It - Multimeter register reading
    3. Super ML cap usage
    4. SupremeFX sound with X-FI software support
    5. Bios Flashback
    6. Swappable bios chips
    7. CPU Level Up in the bios
    8. Voltiminder LED
    9. External LCD Poster
    10. Onboard switches
    11. EL I/O (illuminated I/O Plate)
    12. Q-Connector
    13. Water block support
    14. MemOK!
    15. Memperfect
    16. Q-LED
    17. ROG Connect
    18. GameFirst Packet Priority Software
    19. Speeding HDD
    20. Q-Dimm
    21. Q-Slot
    Not on current ROG models but Stack Cool heat sink / cooling design , additionally I did not mention a few do to they are standards ( such as power on, reset buttons, solid caps etc ).

I look forward to getting feedback in regards to this.

As always please enjoy the rest of your day and thank you guys for any feedback you can provide.

Banned
    TY, I will edit this with some info later (got headache)

I currently own an Asus M2F and I have to say that this ROG motherboard is not only overpriced but lagging behind the competition, the Bios support is terrible for a premium board, it's a shame Asus doesn't care about customers who pay more for the ROG products, hope this would change soon, Good Luck !
    Intel Q6600 G0 vid 1.2750 @ 3200mhz
    Asus Maximus II Formula
    Zalman CNPS 9700 Led
    Corsair Dominator C5DF 2x2GB 1066
    Nvidia 8800 GTS 640
    2 x Seagate 7200.10 500 Gb
    OCZ GameXStream 700
    Samsung T220

Xtreme Member
    I do love ASUS products. However with the R.O.G. thing I've tried to stay away from it. The prices are usually way too obscene contrasted to what you actually can get, and though you may be able to push something here or there higher than any other board that only accounts for the .1% of Computer users out there anyway. The majority of people who buy R.O.G. boards buy them not because they offer something others don't, but they have a reputation for being the coolest and best. For instance when I went to build my i7 the first thing I looked for was the Asus ROG board then the Foxconn Bloodrage. (X58) The price difference was astounding. Both boards offered nearly the same specs, and though the reviews leaned towards the Asus board I just couldn't let myself pay that much more. What I'm getting at is if I wasn't comfortable with taking the risk I'd have hands down dropped that extra 150-200$ for the R.O.G. board. However since I don't worry about it I went for what I felt served me better.

I'm not saying anything bad about R.O.G. I'm just saying there are two types of overclockers and power users. Those who are all about the name, style, bench, and cutting edge. Then those who want the best product for the best price with the best performance. If you want to sell you're fine. I mean R.O.G. has carved out a legacy of power and reliability. The idealism of quality over cost. However if you want the support of the rest of the community I'd think lower prices and more cost efficient products may serve better.

Then again ASUS makes some of the best product lines out there, and in lots of ways you do serve that community very well. But I'd never buy an R.O.G. board. Not unless the price made sense.

I mean it's like the intel chips. 900$ more for a stock overclocked chip. With a 920 overclocked I've never met a game or program or multiple games and programs that have ever slowed my system down.
    How can anyone honestly justify paying 900$ extra for a stock overclocked chip? I can understand that some people may not want to overclock because they don't understand it and fear it, but then why are you buying a custom system in the first place?

It's all about name-branding, and ROG has that covered. So it's down to selling the best marketing or selling the best product.
    Last edited by kiyka; 11-12-2009 at 02:16 PM.
    i7-920 @ 4.0ghz/1600mhz,
    Quantum Force Bloodrage, DominatorDD3,
    Velociraptor, gtx460-sli, 2tb W.D., Corsair HX1000w,
    CM:Scout

http://soundcloud.com/kiyka/

Xtreme Member
    I currently own rampage formula and in happy with motherboard it self (overclocking etc), however im not happy with support im geting... for such a top end product line i would expect better support regarding bioses and i know this mobo is already kinda old (however still 180euro + here) but still, i know my self and some others had some requests (tref setting was mine)/issues regarding bios half (or more) year ago and there are still not listen to... bottom line, listening to customers sucks bottom line, you should look that all ROG mobos support all features you can get from bios it self, if you forget on some minor thing it should never be a problem to add it if its only few lines of code for bios... but anyway my next mobo will mostlikely still be RoG series

edit: one feature im missing is, dual bios for example... if flash gets really really bad when you experiment with something
    Last edited by SoLoR; 11-12-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Xtreme XIP
    Please Sata 3.0 implementation on X58 boards and better Raid0 Performance for SSDs, external LCD poster replaced by 2 digit numeric code numbers for troubleshoot on board in a simple tiny Screen on a corner , Bios needs more tweaking and work in the fine tuning voltages wise options. Speeding HD useless . Dual Bios and Bios Flashback Awsome Tweak it and probe it Great and a must on every ROG board , water block included for the price of the board specifically Rampage II eXtreme X58. I own Asus Rampage extreme ROG X48 and Asus Rampage II eXtreme X58 ROG and thats my feedback , thank you.

Regards: chispy

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm afraid I'm another rather disgruntled M2F owner who feels a little let down by the results I've acheived with this board. It would be really nice to see a bios that is a little more bug free. Currently the pull-ins don't work which would help performance for all those tweakers out there. If possible some work to help us get higher fsb with our 45nm quads would also be really nice. I understand this is probably more to do with the hardware, and that a bios isn't likely to work any miracles, but who knows?
    A couple of niggles:
    Not being able to use anything other than letters & numbers in the oc profile names is quite irritating, even just spaces would be nice. Being able to add a bit more description would too, along with being able to save more profiles.
    I've had 2 of these boards, and neither performed as well as the P5B with my old Q6600, and I've wasted months trying to get it to the same stage. I'm even wondering if it stood a better chance of getting the Q9650 stable at higher speeds than this board.

A bit more visual feedback in bios of what auto settings actually are, such as skews and GTLs would be nice too. I just feel the M2F bios was never polished as nicely as the board, and for the price, it should be. If this ROG feedback thread offers any hope for better overclocks and bios tweaks, then I'm all for it!

I do want to add that I love the look of this board, and really like the features like the LCD poster, temperature probe connectors and all the onboard sensors - an overclockers dream in some respects. I think the thresholds for fan speed/temperature options in bios are useless though - with fan speed only variable from 60°C upwards is far too high, and is surely something that could be altered in the bios?

If these few things are sorted out then I will try to abstain from going for another manufacturer. This is my first experience with an ROG board and although it looks pretty is ain't all that.

I'm sure some people would say 'you can polish a turd, but it's still a turd'....

Asus, prove us wrong!
    Last edited by In-Fluence; 11-13-2009 at 07:22 AM.

Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R F6 : i7 920 D0 4.4GHz 1.4v : 4Gb G.Skill ECO 6-8-6-24 1.54v
    Apogee XT & MCW30 : XSPC Dual 750 w/DDC+18W : RX120 & RX240 : Tygon tubing : Corsair HX 850
    2x750Gb 7200.12 RAID0 : 2x500Gb 7200.12 RAID1 : Samsung DVD-RW : LG BD-R
    Antec P182 with 5 x Noctua NF-P12 & 1 x Akasa Apache
    M-Audio Delta 1010 (Rack) : Behringer Truth B2031A
    XFX 5770 + 8600GTS (physx) : 2x Samsung Syncmaster 710n

Lappy: Asus C90s & E7500 @3.17GHz w/ 4Gb RAM & top scoring 8600m GT DDR2

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I'd start with the Technical Support department.
    Yes off-topic I know, but you do not want me to comment on the R.O.G. mobos...

a very unhappy 5 Rampage Extreme's user ( admirable inconsistency ), a past Rampage II Extreme user ( Classified & BloodRage for teh win )
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SoLoR View Post

edit: one feature im missing is, dual bios for example... if flash gets really really bad when you experiment with something
    my board comes with a dual bios as well as the RE 2
    Last edited by dctokyo; 11-12-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Xtreme Member
    For me, most of the features are marketing gimmick.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They are over priced and offer nothing special at all.
    For a lower price, I had the EX58-Extreme which overclocked a little better for 70$ less and offered in my opinion a better BIOS layout, I so miss Abit uGuru BIOS menu

Xtreme Addict
    My first...and last experience with an ROG product was with the Striker Extreme 680i. Got a nice keychain out of the deal, but that was the last ASUS board I'll ever buy let alone an overpriced board with the ROG stamp.
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Xtreme Member
    the next rog boards should get NF200 chips to support more grakas
    Why the WS Boards who can "nothing" get NF200 Chips and an REALLY Gaming Board NOT???

Xtreme Member

Thumbs down

I have been using a R2E since January 2009 and I am rather happy with it.
    For the price I payed it, the quality of some hardware parts is poor, like cpu socket, PCIe and memory connectors.

The BIOS is upgraded rarely and till today they don't unlock the memory pages to program some memory latencies under Windows, using programs like CPU-Tweaker.

The high priced OC Station is in an alpha stage of development and it lacks a lot of very useful features, like the auto loading at start up of a programmed profile, display and setup of memory latencies, programmable date and time display in some most used international ways (like dd/mm/YYYY hh.mm that is used in Europe), localization in the classic 5 most used languages (English, Spanish, French, German, Italian), etc.

Memory Addict
    Last good ROG board from Asus was probably Asus Rampage Extreme (got one 2nd hand and it's still rocking!). I mean great as in the ROG board performed and clocked better than the non-ROG Asus equivalent. I've only read briefly of ROG boards since then, and alot of the times the ROG version Ramapge II Extreme hasn't overwhelmingly been better than the Asus non-ROG version in terms of overclocking and performance/memory.

The ASUS WS series seem to be doing better though i.e. P6T6 WS Revolution

Don't use level up, xmp profiles etc, all good old manual tuning and tweaking

Haven't use any P55 boards yet waiting on something from Asus Australia fingers crossed
    Last edited by eva2000; 11-13-2009 at 09:33 AM.
    ---

Xtreme Addict
    Where were you a few years ago?

Fix the problems with your current boards than ask again.

There's plenty of information on your own forum. You should have a look from time to time.

For now I vote overpriced because I still think that I paid to much for my Rampage Formula. A lot of cheaper boards do much better. It's great hardware but it needs a better, more open BIOS like the Rampage Extreme.

Ooh... and for the price that I paid for this board those optional Thermal Sensor Cables should have come in the box. If you think that I didn't pay enough to have the Thermal Sensor cables with the board, it wouldn't have been a problem to pay the extra 2 or 3 Euro to have them and don't have to find out that someone from ASUS forgot to ship them to Belgium.

I wish you good luck with your poll and feedback from your last remaining ROG customers and I hope that you don't loose any of them anymore.
    Last edited by Alien Grey; 11-13-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I have owned a Maximus II Formula, Rampage Extreme and Rampage II Extreme.

There are some things I was and am definitely not satisfied with.

Maximus II Formula - The Maximus II Formula did not have working Pull-In's in any of the BIOSes - I contacted Asus and I was told the Pull-Ins increased memory performance by 0.3 - 0.38% ! This is just plain ridiculous, I know how Pull-Ins are supposed to work, they make a massive difference when enabled vs disabled, they work fine on my Rampage Extreme and DFi board. I can send you the email response I got from Asus regarding this issue and explaining the less than 1% gains if you like. Sure, maybe a 16 year old pure gamer would just enable them and 'think' their board was faster - I tested them and they made no difference at all, sometimes the board was slower with them enabled. This is not good enough. Also the board fell behind other cheaper boards for example the Gigabyte UD3P/UD3R. The Maximus II Formula was in no way worth what it cost.

Rampage Extreme
    - fantastic board, blew every other X48 away - this is what a ROG motherboard should be. It was a pure performance board, the features were great but it just delivered on all fronts. Just needed mosfet backplates implemented in the cooling solution like the P5Q-Deluxe has, and the NB cooler was not very good - we prefer function over form any day of the week.

Rampage II Extreme - This is not as complete a package or as good a board as the Rampage Extreme (X48). First massive issue - I cannot set the RTL (round trip latency) to a set value - it can be advanced or delayed, but a specific value cannot be chosen and 'locked in'. This is simply not good enough from a memory overclocking/bencher/enthusiast point of view, and certainly not good enough considering the price point and nature of the ROG board. The EVGA Classified allows you to set a specific RTL Value on all 3 ram channels, so I expect to be able to do the same on the Rampage II Extreme. I and many others would appreciate if this could be implemented in the next BIOS released for the this board.

There is also the famous 'cold boot' problem on the Rampage II Extreme - this is certainly not good enough, and infuriates many users who paid top dollar for the board, only to be faced with an unstable system after a pull power off at the PSU or power outlet and left for a few hours. We expect more from Asus, and if you don't deliver it, you will lose a lot of customers.

There is one issue that affects all ROG products I mentioned above - where are the mosfet backplates on the ROG boards? The P5Q-Deluxe has them, why not the ROG boards? They prevent board warping and provide better mosfet cooling offering better reliability as a result. Please use them in future, and release some for the Rampage II Extreme at least so we could add them to the board.

The LCD poster is great, tweakit and probe it are also great features, just make the tweak it joystick more solid, it is a little flimsy.

You see, even non-enthusiasts and pure gamers come to sites like Xtreme Systems to see what the enthusiasts think before buying a product, and if we don't like it or find big problems like I have described above, they won't buy the product. So impress us, give us what we ask for in terms of features and performance, and not only will we buy the products, others will too.
    Last edited by CryptiK; 11-14-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Banned
    Well I have done my best to ONLY buy ASUS R.O.G. motherboards thus far, and here are some reasons (dont worry I to am very dissapointed not only with the boards but the tech and rma support from asus and am thinking long and hard about switching to EVGA or gigabyte for my next upgrade i.e. P55/X58)

1: the bios layout is nice and I can tweak the crap out of any asus board easire then any other i hav ever used i.e. DFI msi and gigabyte
    2: the overall look of them is just win
    3: the features i.e. volti led, led poster and software i.e. 3dmarks/games

Now here are what needs to be fixed imo

1: bios support is ridiculous if we're sometime $100 more for these boards we should not need a modded bios (thanx KET) to make the features work right and make the board perform better all around
    2: tech support is HORRID from asus I went on live chat staing my LED poster just stopped working for no reason at all and asus says "well you can buy a new one or RMA the WHOLE board just to get another LED poster ABSURD I pay $100 extra for a ROG stamped board and get told i need to pay more to get an included feature to work?!?!!?! WRONG
    3: all around just less than par for a "top of the line" lineup i mean come on!

There for my inevitable upgrade more than likely will bet a non asus board because the headaches are rediculous sorry asus but i just cant take it any longer

P.S. i do use the cpu level up on occasion and so far that feature has been great

ASUS Technical Marketing Rep
    WOW, interesting feedback to say the least. I appreciate everyone’s time and input on the replies given respective to the experiences and models that each individual has/had or has worked with. I will definitely be noting and communicating some of the key points that you have all so far supplied. With that said I think there is some unrealistic opinions given about the boards noted.

1. Price to performance is always dependent on perception with that said I think we have done a good job of creating lines specific to the price point’s people are interested in. Currently for ROG we offer three price points 1. GENE 2. FORMULA 3.RAMPAGE and then there can be sub sections of those respectively. Additionally just because you did not use a function or feature on the board does mean it was not factored into the cost of the board. I do agree it is extremely important to look at each feature on a board and ensure there is an audience/user base for the feature.

2. In regards to bios support in reality it is difficult to make a bios that pleases everyone single person but I do find it hard to believe that bios support is of horribly quality when we have released 13 bios updates for the Maximus II Formula. Now of course this does not mean we have made it perfect but it does show the commitment to working on and ensuring a good quality bios if you look at the comparable GB board it has had 4 / 5 bios updates that is quite a difference any which way you want to look at it. Additionally there is a difference between what a small set of users feel limited by than the overall user base of a board. A perfect example is the RIIE where yes the Classified may offering slightly more extensive bios based options but its base efficiency as well as performance metrics are generally slower than the Rampage it is only at key points where it may offer superior functionality or performance.
    With BIOS support being one of the biggest factors in regards to how users feel about boards.
    One idea I am proposing to our HQ dept and our local US ROG site is to build a bios poll page that if enough users officially vote on a requested bios feature it will be submitted to the bios development team for validation and inquiry into whether or not it can incorporated and eventually released. What are your thoughts in this regard.

I look forward to hopefully more feedback as this is what will allows to incorporate the right support systems and design implements for the next generation of ROG.

I would like to thank you all again for your feedback and will follow up with some of you specifically on the bios issues you have reported. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I like the idea of a poll for possible development of the bios. Must be disheartening to hear a lot of negative feedback about a lot of the ROG boards, but with the possibility of something like this along with enough people's feedback opinions could be changed.

Thanks for providing the opportunity for some of us to get our messages across.

Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R F6 : i7 920 D0 4.4GHz 1.4v : 4Gb G.Skill ECO 6-8-6-24 1.54v
    Apogee XT & MCW30 : XSPC Dual 750 w/DDC+18W : RX120 & RX240 : Tygon tubing : Corsair HX 850
    2x750Gb 7200.12 RAID0 : 2x500Gb 7200.12 RAID1 : Samsung DVD-RW : LG BD-R
    Antec P182 with 5 x Noctua NF-P12 & 1 x Akasa Apache
    M-Audio Delta 1010 (Rack) : Behringer Truth B2031A
    XFX 5770 + 8600GTS (physx) : 2x Samsung Syncmaster 710n

Lappy: Asus C90s & E7500 @3.17GHz w/ 4Gb RAM & top scoring 8600m GT DDR2

Asus boards are generally great boards but when it comes to overclocking it lags behind a tad, I used to think that the Rampage II Extreme was up there with the EVGA X58 Classified but after playing with both, the Classified has by far more potiental.

Sure the Rampage II Extreme has great features and a far superior bios to the Classified but it just falls behind. Another major weak point is the expansion slot layout that i strongly disliked and was the main reason on me going to the Classified, so i could fit my dual gfx cards, tv tuner and sound card at the time.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by illuminatiASUS View Post
    In regards to bios support in reality it is difficult to make a bios that pleases everyone single person but I do find it hard to believe that bios support is of horribly quality when we have released 13 bios updates for the Maximus II Formula. Now of course this does not mean we have made it perfect but it does show the commitment to working on and ensuring a good quality bios if you look at the comparable GB board it has had 4 / 5 bios updates that is quite a difference any which way you want to look at it.
    Maybe the GB board didn't need more than 4/5 BIOS updates to have a good BIOS and the Maximus II Formula doens't still have a good BIOS after 13 BIOS updates.

One idea I am proposing to our HQ dept and our local US ROG site is to build a bios poll page that if enough users officially vote on a requested bios feature it will be submitted to the bios development team for validation and inquiry into whether or not it can incorporated and eventually released. What are your thoughts in this regard.
    That would be great.

I would like to thank you all again for your feedback and will follow up with some of you specifically on the bios issues you have reported.
    I don't think that ASUS is going to give us more features in the BIOS for the Rampage Formula. We requested a few features for the BIOS a few months ago and we've got exactly 1 feature from our list and that's CPU and NB Clock Skew.

The last BIOS update gave us a good BIOS but we expected some more features added in the BIOS for our ROG board.
    Last edited by Alien Grey; 11-17-2009 at 02:29 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I've already responded to your poll over at [H]ardForum, but I'd like to add this: I've been out of the ATX game for awhile, but whatever you do, keep doing what you're doing in the mATX market. You guys are currently king in that arena. The R2 Gene is simply PERFECT.

Look at all the happy posts in this thread: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=220678
    Last edited by MassiveOverkill; 11-17-2009 at 03:20 AM.
    MSI 890GXM-G65
    LAN Gear MOM
    Phenom II 1055T 3.8 Ghz 1.4V Batch 1015DPAW
    Corsair H50 w/120x38
    Asus 5850CU 1000/1125
    4x2048 OCZ DDR3 1600 Obsidian
    Western Digital WD1002FAEX
    GSkill Titan 128 gig SSD
    Silverstone SST 75F-P
    3DMark06 21837
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=13974577

Memory Addict
    Speaking of bioses, just got this reply from Asus support after I requested if tRCD 11 could be added to P6T6 WS Revolution bios like it's available on other X58 boards, but got this reply

Confirmed by our BIOS RD, according to Intel spec, the tRCD range is 3~10, sorry that we aren’t able to add the tRCD=11 option in BIOS.
    Guess Asus aren't wanting to move too much away from intel spec for P6T6 WS Revo ?
    ---

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by illuminatiASUS View Post
    I would appreciate it!

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast