PPU: EVGA 9800GTX @ 738/1836/2250
    MB: ASUS P5E X38
    RAM: MUSHKIN 2X2GB
    SOUND: X-FI TITANIUM FATAL1TY | LOGITECH Z-5500 | LOGITECH G35
    HDD: WD 76GB X 2 RAPTORS RAID 0 10KRPM | WD 1TB CAVIAR BLACK 32MB STORAGE
    PSU: CORSAIR HX1000W PSU
    MON: HANNSPREE 28" 1920X1200 RESOLUTION

Life's Replay
    WHY DID THEY REMOVE THE LEAN FUNCTION, WHY WHY WHY.

Because gamepads for consoles don't have enough buttons.

Damn good game though, the story made zero sense but was entertaining as hell. I love that it's so linear, it's impossible to miss any of the scripted events.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    I beat the game earlier today, it's superb. Honestly, one of the best things I have ever played, period.
    You haven't played many good games so
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SubZero.it View Post
    You haven't played many good games so
    seriously?

good is in the eye of the beholder/consumer

if infinity ward aims at the biggest group of consumers then that means more sales and more people are going to enjoy it.

Just because you have a different view doesn't mean you can all over theirs.
    i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.25v
    GTX 470 @ 859MHz 1062mv

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    WHY DID THEY REMOVE THE LEAN FUNCTION, WHY WHY WHY.

Because gamepads for consoles don't have enough buttons.

Damn good game though, the story made zero sense but was entertaining as hell. I love that it's so linear, it's impossible to miss any of the scripted events.
    A bit late, but Invisible Walls discussed some of its flaws:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ep...le-walls/59018

I was a bit shocked and sadden as to how far they'll go to please the console audience, it would have took nothing to leave the lean feature in there.
    so many things wrong with this game, i'll still go back to play MW1.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 1nvisible View Post
    A bit late, but Invisible Walls discussed some of its flaws:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ep...le-walls/59018

I was a bit shocked and sadden as to how far they'll go to please the console audience, it would have took nothing to leave the lean feature in there.
    so many things wrong with this game, i'll still go back to play MW1.
    once again, they don't give a damn about minorities, the biggest sector comes first as this gets them by far the most $.
    i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.25v
    GTX 470 @ 859MHz 1062mv

Xtreme Member
    Thanks Activision, i can play mp for 10 hours straight... no problems... buuuut...

How i am supposed to play singleplayer mode when game flips 360* errors on screen or jamms every 1- 10 mins on singlepalyer?
    Peace of crap. 60 euros throw out of window.
    A64 2800@ 9x279 # Abit kv8pro 3rd EYE (vtt and vmem modded) # 2x256 mb TwinMos memory( with old winbond ch-5 max:240@3.5v) # 2x256mb KHX 3000 memory (with old winbond bh-5 max:270@3.7v)
    9600 Pro LE with vgpu mod
    Good Job!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    But punishing myself? Lol dude, maybe you should get a little perspective.
    So the guy who wants to play the game but isn't doing so because there aren't dedicated servers isn't punishing himself? Who's getting the short end of the stick there? Certainly not IW.

There are no dedicated servers. Each multiplayer game is hosted on one of the players machines. That player has access to the server files on his own machine. Not only do people have access to the server binaries - that's how it was designed.
    Do you have proof of this, that post you linked doesn't have any info. Everything I've seen so far indicates that IWNet has central servers and isn't P2P.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn. View Post
    Companies don't do what they want, they do the things we let them do.....In this case a portion of PC gamers are making a choice that they believe in and for that they only get called cry babies by the people that don't understand their reasons. Do you think that is fair?
    Not when "WE" equates to a tiny segment of the market. That's the problem here - the complainers are overstating their importance. I do think it's fair to point out that using the lack of dedicated servers (in a otherwise excellent video game) as the basis for rebellion is a bit silly. Simple measuring stick - how many of you have told your girl or your non-gaming buddies that this pisses you off?

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    I guess I don't see why or how you can think that what they've done is a good thing. It hasn't gained us much of anything, rather, it removed much of what we had in previous releases.
    I don't think it's a good thing. I just don't think it's a big deal. But to each their own. I just hope you guys realize that this is a case of if you can't beat them, join them.

Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think it's a good thing. I just don't think it's a big deal. But to each their own. I just hope you guys realize that this is a case of if you can't beat them, join them.
    That won't get us anywhere, they'll just continue to do it more then because hey we're going along with it. No thanks...

If they pushed a patch or something with the dedicated servers and enabled mods and all that stuff again then I'd consider buying it again. But in its current state, no.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    So the guy who wants to play the game but isn't doing so because there aren't dedicated servers isn't punishing himself? Who's getting the short end of the stick there? Certainly not IW.
    You have missed the point entirely. I don't want to play the game, at least not in its current state. I'm not too terribly enthralled by the setting and storyline, but I have some friends who were probably going to play this (before the whole debacle) so I would get it for that purpose (having another multiplayer game to play with friends). But if I'm getting a game for the multiplayer then implementation details matter, I have seen lots of games with promising content ruined by poor netcode. I have no desire to repeat that kind of experience and it deflated any interest I had in playing it.

It definitely hurts IW. They don't get $60 and I get to keep $60 that I can spend on games that I am more interested in.

Do you have proof of this, that post you linked doesn't have any info. Everything I've seen so far indicates that IWNet has central servers and isn't P2P.
    That's the whole issue that started this whole mess - NO DEDICATED SERVERS. But here you are telling us that there are in fact dedicated servers. WTF?

Listen to this straight from Robert Bowling from IW: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2369799
    Starting at about 1:41:00 Robert Bowling comes in and describes the multiplayer. He wasn't real clear on some specifics but what he said did turn out to be the case.
    Last edited by Solus Corvus; 11-15-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    From what I remember, they have stated that the game decides which player will act as host based on their Internet connection and machine specs (choosing the next best alternative if the current host quits), which would naturally require that the game is hosted on the machine of a player.
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    You have missed the point entirely. I don't want to play the game, at least not in its current state.
    Then the lack of dedicated servers shouldn't bother you.

That's the whole issue that started this whole mess - NO DEDICATED SERVERS. But here you are telling us that there are in fact dedicated servers. WTF?
    It's funny. I was hoping you would understand the difference between developer managed "central" and user managed "dedicated" servers. Guess I was wrong. Central refers to setups like Battle.net. This seems to be what IWNet is doing.

Xtreme Addict
    *dp*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You know, a game has to be absolutely brilliant SP wise (for me) in order to buy it. As of now, MW2 SP is mediocre at best and MP totally sucks because of the "no dedicated server" stuff. As such, I won't buy it. As simple as that.
    We, hardcore pc gamers, do not criticize new stuff that IW has put into MW2...we are criticizing what they have erased: as simple as that sounds. If they were half smart they would have put both features: crappy P2P for casual gamers and dedicated servers for all the others. I don't care if people enjoys it or not and definitely I'm not punishing myself for not buying it (like I said unless a game is a master piece SP means for me): just saying that what IW has done is bad for all of us as we are left out of the potential consumers and casual gamers don't have any benefit from this.

Hey, I'm going to laugh really hard when IW starts making people paying for DLC...then they will understand what means no dedicated servers and all that stuff.

This is the main point of our discussion and has been stated trillions of times...

Obviously you never been part of a community or anything. Dedicated servers are a key feature when I'm looking for a game (unless SP is a master piece, like I said before). Its not that I like MW2 but not dedicated servers will mean that I won't buy it...is that I don't like any game unless they have dedicated servers. Thats all. MW2 is just another FPS in the pc gaming world, and a mediocre one, a title sold for its uber marketing and not for its quality. If you think otherwise I'm totally sure you haven't played good games in a looooong time. Specially if you take in mind the $60 pricetag.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    That won't get us anywhere, they'll just continue to do it more then because hey we're going along with it. No thanks...

If they pushed a patch or something with the dedicated servers and enabled mods and all that stuff again then I'd consider buying it again. But in its current state, no.
    So do I

Xtreme Addict
    Then the lack of dedicated servers shouldn't bother you.
    Why not? I explained why it bothers me.

It's funny. I was hoping you would understand the difference between developer managed "central" and user managed "dedicated" servers. Guess I was wrong. Central refers to setups like Battle.net. This seems to be what IWNet is doing.
    I posted the proof you asked for, but you don't seem to have listened to it. So I'm digging up more proof for you to ignore: http://undead.mygameclan.com/pt/Best...-Ward/blog.htm
    Please give me a direct answer. On the PC version. Are all games hosted by players, and is there a 5 second delay when host migration is in effect?

Vince-IW
    yes.
    I do understand the difference between centrally managed dedicated servers with a matchmaking service, like L4D, versus a matchmaking service with no central servers, COD:MW2. But thanks for the unveiled personal attack, I'm collecting them in a jar like fireflies.

Xtreme Addict
    Ah, got it, thx. So IWNet does the matchmaking and hands off to whomever it thinks has the best machine for the job. Sounds like fun. That in itself doesn't seem to be causing any problems though - i.e reports of more connectivity issues vs a typical dedicated setup.

So the man issue still boils down to a loss of access and control, things which don't constitute the vast majority of what the game offers.

Xtreme Addict
    Ah, got it, thx. So IWNet does the matchmaking and hands off to whomever it thinks has the best machine for the job. Sounds like fun. That in itself doesn't seem to be causing any problems though - i.e reports of more connectivity issues vs a typical dedicated setup.
    That's my understanding of how it works as well.

The problem with peer2peer isn't how it handles a bunch of perfect connections, it's how it handles imperfect connections. If the person hosting the game decides to download something or has machine/connection issues then he continues to run fine but everyone else is screwed. That's true of dedicated servers too, but they are usually off in some facility with a network admin making sure the network is running smoothly. Most players though are going to be connecting through cable/dsl and reliability of those connections can vary wildly. It may not have a bad reputation for network issues yet, but it's still a new game, give it some time and then we can see how well the network code was implemented.

Even if there are no network connection issues there is still another issue with locally hosted servers though - cheating. The person hosting the game has full access to the server binaries. There were cheats available for this game since the day of release. Not a good sign, IMO.

So the man issue still boils down to a loss of access and control, things which don't constitute the vast majority of what the game offers.
    I'm not very interested in the content of the game. No matter how good the graphics or storyline is it doesn't even remotely compare with what I can get by going outside with my camera or picking up a book.

What matters to me is how good the game engine is, how moddable it is, and how good the gameplay is. If a game can be modded then the content and gameplay can be changed to suit whatever your needs call for. Quake1 didn't have very compelling content, but it had solid game code and was very moddable. The mods kept the game alive and I can still go and play on a q1 server if I want to. Same thing with Wolf:Enemy Territory - despite being released in 2003 it is still regularly top 5 on the gamespy stats for the number of players. I can't hardly find a server not running mods in that game. But with no modding in MW2, once the last expansion pack is out the end of life ticker for the game starts counting down. And if I don't like the default content or gameplay then I am out of luck from the very beginning.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345