Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $ 310m in 24 hrs

Xtreme Cruncher
    Just like crap movies that sell a ton at the box office i guess we will see a similar thing happen to PC gaming.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    If they reduced the price would they see more sales? I believe that they would - that's pretty basic economics.
    With those determined to pirate? No.

You can't compete against free, that's basic economics too.

Quote Originally Posted by xenolith View Post

If you had intentions to buy it you did and/or will whether it is 50 or 60 but if you planned to pirate it all along chances are you'll never pay for it because you don't have to. Although arguments can be made that it helps you save money on crap games if you "try" them this only holds to people who really care about the industry and understand that no money=no market.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xenolith View Post

Nothing will stop those determined to pirate.

But you are lumping all pirates together when that's not the reality. Some people pirate simply because they can. Some people pirate to try something out. Some people pirate because they can't afford the price. Some people pirate to send a message. Etc.

Some of those people are going to be affected by a price reduction, others aren't. But the question was if reducing the price of the game would increase the number of sales. I'm going to say unequivocally, yes.

Xtreme Addict
    the pc version is the highly celebrated xbox version but with better graphics and multiplayer that doesnt charge a monthly fee.
    not sure how thats so horrible
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    tbh one of the reasonsyou nvr hear Console gamers complain is cause they dont know what they are missing out on.

Alot of people started their online gaming with the Console.
    They dont know how much better an FPS plays with a mouse and keyboard. They dont know the advantages of dedicated servers.

A guy i know told me consoles are so much better because they are cheaper.
    This guy is on his 4th Xbox360 in a lil over 2 years.
    2 got banned due to modding it and the 3rd died with RROD and he had no guarantee on it. And he thinks its a normal thing to buy the exact same thing 4 times.
    I was a PC gamer for around 10 years before i moved on to Xbox 360.

I do agree that FPS games are much better with a mouse and keyboard (used to play CS, TFC, Q3) but they are not that bad on consoles either. I chose to stick with the Xbox simply because i do not care for the best gfx available and i enjoy playing games with friends (not over the net). I am also currently using a laptop instead of a desktop and decent gaming laptops are either too expensive or too ugly! I do agree however that dedicated servers are much better.

P.S: I spent 6.5 hours playing MW2 on Veteran. It was a good game and had some great action scenes but i think it was a bit too short, the story didnt make too much sense at parts and compared to MW1, it felt a bit easy (which might be a good thing since the ending of MW1 on veteran difficulty was really horrible).

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grimREEFER View Post
    the pc version is the highly celebrated xbox version but with better graphics and multiplayer that doesnt charge a monthly fee.
    not sure how thats so horrible
    Lack of dedicated servers = hackers don't get banned.
    move to VAC, easier to get around than PB = hackers don't get banned.
    Intel 2500k @ 4.6GHz | Noctua HSF
    8GB Mushkin DDR3
    Sapphire AMD HD 2GB 6970
    Crucial M4 120GB
    Noctua 120MM fans all around [dead silent]
    Creative XFi

Windows 7 Professional x64
    Arch Linux

Xtreme Addict
    The vast majority of people are idiots. They don't know what a server is, much less how to install a new video card and overclock it. Good thing we aren't the vast majority of people.
    Who are the bigger idiots? The guys happily enjoying the game or the "geniuses" standing on the side lines complaining about trivial crap? You would think dedicated servers were a god-given right or something.

How prevalent is cheating in console shooters? Htf do you cheat anyway if you have no ability to modify the game?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    Who are the bigger idiots? The guys happily enjoying the game or the "geniuses" standing on the side lines complaining about trivial crap? You would think dedicated servers were a god-given right or something.
    I simply like dedicated servers more then matchmaking systems and local servers. Local servers aggravate cheating. Matchmaking systems ruin any sense of community (IMO). There is no support for modding. Etc etc.

You are acting like we can't compare our past experiences, form an opinion on the type of game we want to play, and choose to buy it or not based on that. Why should I give IW/Act my money if I don't like that type of multiplayer system for any sort of serious shooter?

In fact, if we don't discriminate based on our preferences then companies will continue to put out games that don't satisfy those preferences. Which makes me want to go around to all those "boycotters" who purchased COD:MW2 anyway and slap them with one of my old economics textbooks.

Xtreme Addict
    You are acting like we can't compare our past experiences, form an opinion on the type of game we want to play, and choose to buy it or not based on that. Why should I give IW/Act my money if I don't like that type of multiplayer system for any sort of serious shooter?
    Nothing's wrong with that. But screaming bloody murder because IW didn't make the game that YOU wanted them to make is simply ridiculous. It's even worse when people pass judgment before even playing the game. All that says to me is that they're pissed that the game is harder to pirate successfully.

Nothing's wrong with that. But screaming bloody murder because IW didn't make the game that YOU wanted them to make is simply ridiculous. It's even worse when people pass judgment before even playing the game. All that says to me is that they're pissed that the game is harder to pirate successfully.
    1) matchmaking/no mods/no dedicated servers is a step backwards. It is dumbing down to console levels. And it isn't just him, it is thousands upon thousands of people. PC gamers expect certain things, when a game doesn't deliver, they don't buy it, plain and simple.

2) apparently it hasn't bothered the pirates one bit, because from what I hear it is already available via torrents. So piracy is a moot point. Pirates will hack through any anti-piracy attempt anyway.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Dedicated pirates won't be phased one bit by this change. It won't be any harder to pirate then a dedicated server game.

But you are saying that we shouldn't form an opinion on if we want certain features in a game without playing it first. But there is no demo and you condemn piracy. So how exactly are we supposed to give it a try?

Xtreme Addict
    I ve Played it, the single player is not that much more impressive than mw1. Graphics are better, but thats what happens with time, the levels are very linear, not much freedom of movement, granted the hans zimmer soundtrack is sweet, and spec ops is fun, but the no lean is just stupid... They basically took most of the things they did right in MW1 took some map cues from Crysis, CS:S and mixed into cod4 gameplay. I mean terminal, i remember playing that in cs 1.1, it was called cs_747 / airport . lol. Many of the game elements felt cannabalised. Its a nice package, but not this epic leetness ground breaking thing that many are trying to make it out to be.. On console, it probably is....but we re not console here, so we have a glass ceiling put into IW ward.
    As for the no dedi's...
    Piracy 70k+ downloaded. Working MP hack, bypasses steam protection. It works, seen it first hand.
    0 Day hacking.
    And unless you have all 4 bars per game(why not show real latency, and give us a freaking console)
    you get lag parties like this.
    P2P FAIL

Or hack parties like this Cod4Hacks Anyone who has played CS:S knows that only noobs get VAC'd and that Admins and demos are the only sure fire way to catch them... Plus the games new..you haven't seen the ability of party greifing that clans like [myg0t] will unleash... spawn flashing and tk's are going to be ridiculous.
    What is happening to the gaming community, is we are being dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. Instead of being a platform that experiments and pushes limits, we are being tossed to the side and ported too.
    I for one, am not really happy at all about this, but the problem is these conglomerate companies, like EA, Activision that eat up small studios and force a for profit model on it, while losing the gamer feel in the process.
    Its a sad slope, that i hope we can come out of, as the price of pc's keeps dropping.
    Last edited by villa1n; 11-12-2009 at 08:33 PM.
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by villa1n View Post
    And unless you have all 4 bars per game(why not show real latency, and give us a freaking console)
    Wait, ping is represented by bars rather then a number? Weak.

Xtreme Addict
    90% console maybe? Thats crazy. But then again console players are used to gimped multiplayer, so it doesnt bother them. I might pick it up on PC via nefarious means..and if i like it will wait till its less than 30 to buy
    ~

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strange|ife View Post
    90% console maybe? Thats crazy. But then again console players are used to gimped multiplayer, so it doesnt bother them. I might pick it up on PC via nefarious means..and if i like it will wait till its less than 30 to buy
    By that time we all will be playing bad company 2.

Xtreme Addict

yup. FAiL
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme Addict
    have you guys thought that no ded. servers and steam might be a good thing for the PC gaming industry?

no ded. servers means less pirates because you can't make special pirate servers as easily, less pirates means game developers are more likely to promote PC gaming.

Steam means it's harder to hack, which means it's harder for those A-holes who hack the out of a game which people off which in turn means less people buy the game.
    i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.25v
    GTX 470 @ 859MHz 1062mv

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nothing will stop those determined to pirate.

But you are lumping all pirates together when that's not the reality. Some people pirate simply because they can. Some people pirate to try something out. Some people pirate because they can't afford the price. Some people pirate to send a message. Etc.

Some of those people are going to be affected by a price reduction, others aren't. But the question was if reducing the price of the game would increase the number of sales. I'm going to say unequivocally, yes.
    in the MW2 case..I'm half column C half column D
    my personal opinion (that i've stated numerous places) is that the PC game is effectively only 20% complete at best -really short single player, lame storyline (if its really even there in the first place...MUCH more fragmented than MW1), stripped features...to sum it up
    I will buy a copy...when it hits the ~$20 pricepoint, until then, I feel no shame about it
    Current System:
    eVGA 680i SLi "A2" P30 BIOS
    intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (currently at stock)
    OCZ ReaperX 4GB DDR2 1000 (running at DDR2 800 Speeds with cas4)
    320GB Seagate 7200.10
    XFX 8800GT XXX 512MB (stock clocks)
    auzentech X-Fi Prelude
    PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad Copper
    Win XP Pro

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoonXX View Post
    in the MW2 case..I'm half column C half column D
    my personal opinion (that i've stated numerous places) is that the PC game is effectively only 20% complete at best -really short single player, lame storyline (if its really even there in the first place...MUCH more fragmented than MW1), stripped features...to sum it up
    I will buy a copy...when it hits the ~$20 pricepoint, until then, I feel no shame about it
    I'd just say that that's another category: People who would buy a game but don't think it's worth the current price.

If we keep asking for it and hounding them, they'll implement dedis in a patch eventually. Especcially if we ask nicely! They'll probably realise that they'll need a busy multiplayer community to keep the franchise going in the long term.

Us PC gamers are a big minority now, and we'll have to accept that All this throwing the toys out of the cot is a bit childish. Either buy & play the game or don't bother. PC gaming was never about mainstream stuff anyway.

For me, the only thing that really worries me is the launch price. I think I'll hang on until it get a bit more reasonable!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    PC gamers expect certain things, when a game doesn't deliver, they don't buy it, plain and simple.
    So you're saying PC gamers are a bunch of entitled brats? What do you mean we expect certain things? The only thing we should expect is a good experience. Do dedicated servers guarantee that? No. In my experience they have addressed many of the things wrong with dedis - too many adhoc rules, mods and variations, empty servers, bad ping etc.

Dedicated pirates won't be phased one bit by this change. It won't be any harder to pirate then a dedicated server game.

But you are saying that we shouldn't form an opinion on if we want certain features in a game without playing it first. But there is no demo and you condemn piracy. So how exactly are we supposed to give it a try?
    Could you explain how this will be easy to hack when they don't have access to the server code?

And I'm not talking about having an opinion. I'm talking about the attitude. There are many other products where earlier features are dropped in new versions - receivers for example. But you don't see audio enthusiasts throwing hissy fits over it, they balance the missing features with the new improvements and move on.

This is exactly what I'm referring to. Finding ridiculous stuff to complain about as if anybody gives a crap how ping is displayed. SF4 displays it as bars too, would absolute numbers make the game better?

Quote Originally Posted by Helloworld_98 View Post
    have you guys thought that no ded. servers and steam might be a good thing for the PC gaming industry?

no ded. servers means less pirates because you can't make special pirate servers as easily, less pirates means game developers are more likely to promote PC gaming.

Steam means it's harder to hack, which means it's harder for those A-holes who hack the out of a game which people off which in turn means less people buy the game.
    As villa1n pointed out, this did NOTHING on reducing pirates. In fact, they made a fool out of IW and have working multiplayer and steam hacks less than a week after release. IWnet is an epic fail as far as anti-piracy goes.

So you're saying PC gamers are a bunch of entitled brats? What do you mean we expect certain things? The only thing we should expect is a good experience. Do dedicated servers guarantee that? No. In my experience they have addressed many of the things wrong with dedis - too many adhoc rules, mods and variations, empty servers, bad ping etc.
    Well given the example above, P2P sure doesn't help the ping. Some people like mods (changes things up every so often). Just because YOU don't like them doesn't mean others don't. And like I said, if PC gamers don't like what they see, they won't buy it. If you see a game you don't like, you won't buy it either.

Listen, we've already heard from IW that they know better than us on what we want. We really don't need another person telling us this crap too
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Nobody is telling you what you should want. Is anybody forcing you to play the game? What's happening is that you guys are going overboard with the complaining about stuff you think developers should put into their games when everybody else is out there enjoying it. Look at your above post for example, your are cheerleading piracy. This is exactly why we will keep getting marginalized - because of that infantile attitude.

ONE example of bad ping does not prove that IWNet is worse than dedis. Come on guys, you're trying too hard.
    Last edited by trinibwoy; 11-13-2009 at 06:49 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Trinibwoi, you seem to loose some touch with reality.

Why are you saying : you guys are going overboard with the complaining about stuff you think developers should put into their games ?

You make it sound like we gamers should just say "yes sir" to anything these companies do. In a normal economy, companies listen to their customers needs, if they want to succeed.

The PC market is still an important one, so if they don't want to loose on sales, they should do the correct thing and implement the changes needed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast