Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Motorola Droid

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What plans do you all have for the Droid? I can't seem to find anything that includes web/data with a decent voice plan for less than $100? I can get an unlimited plan with Sprint for about $70.
    DistroWatch - find your flavor of Linux
    Petra's Tech Shop - for all your watercooling needs

Xtreme Member
    900 min. a month, unlimited text and data for $79.99

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by randomplatypi View Post
    900 min. a month, unlimited text and data for $79.99
    How does that work? The 900 minutes (the cheapest for unlimited friends/family) is $60 by itself before the text/messaging plans and web?

500 messages (cheapest unlimited mobile to mobile) is $10 then unlimited data is $45 for a total of ~$115?

If you go with just the basic web for smartphones it's $30 which is still a total of ~$100 where did you find a plan for $80?
    Last edited by AzraelDarkangel; 12-09-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Oh man, am I an idiot! I just checked my detailed bill. You were right Azrael. I am paying much more than what I quoted above. I'm paying $110.00 a month for 900 min. unlimited text/data. Sorry about that. Sometimes I have my head stuck up my ass.
    Last edited by randomplatypi; 12-09-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Anyone know an updated estimated release date of the HTC snapdragon?
    HAF922 (3 fan upgraded) 700w ModXtreme
    MSI GD-65 // HIS 5850 // Saitek Esclipse
    Core i5 750 @ 3.32Ghz (OC Genie) Megahalem w/ 1200rpm Scythe Slipstream
    G. Skill RipJaws DDR3 2000 4x2 gig
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB // 5:1 Dell Surround
    24inch Samsung ToC // MX518

Fanboy of Good Products
    nope. i still wanna know if these phones are gonna be obsolete when verizon rolls out their new network
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by randomplatypi View Post
    Oh man, am I an idiot! I just checked my detailed bill. You were right Azrael. I am paying much more than what I quoted above. I'm paying $110.00 a month for 900 min. unlimited text/data. Sorry about that. Sometimes I have my head stuck up my ass.
    Oh, no problem. Sometimes there are special deals and I thought you might have found one. I would have considered the Droid for $80/mo but $110+/mo is a bit more than I want to pay right now. I'm not a heavy phone user. That's my only issue with Verizon is that they tend to be expensive.

Actually can be whittled down to around $88 without much of any sacrifice:

Nationwide Basic 450 $40/mo
    500 messages PLUS unlimited mobile to mobile messaging $10/mo
    Email and Web for Smartphones $30/mo
    Full equipment coverage $8/mo
    Last edited by AzraelDarkangel; 12-10-2009 at 04:24 AM.

Xtreme Member
    That's not a bad deal. I use more than 450 minutes/month though. I wanted to make sure I was completely covered because with my older phone and provider I would go way over on talk, text, and data every month.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by AzraelDarkangel View Post
    Uhh..Actually no, example:

http://technologizer.com/2009/06/29/...sprint-vs-att/

Verizon of course has the best 3G coverage followed by Sprint. Just like in their recent commercial wars; Verizon has better coverage, AT&T might be a bit faster. I'll take reliability over a small difference in speed any day.

I can totally understand why you would want GSM. I would buy an unlocked GSM phone if I had the money right now. Essential if you travel outside the US. I haven't heard anything about voice issues with Sprint compared to others in the reviews I've read. Every carrier has customers that either love them or hate them for various reasons. I wasn't suggesting that there is anything superior about Palm/Sprint vs. Droid/Verizon, just that it is reasonable for my needs right now. I'm still keeping an eye on the Droid along with everything else that's available till I make a purchase. I much prefer the keyboard on the Palm Pixi and I love the look of the WebOS software. However it doesn't have WiFi and the camera is very low quality. The camera on the Droid looks good if they can fix the focus issues and the large screen is very nice. However the keyboard seems very flat and mushy when I checked out the display model.
    I'm not doubting these results but sometimes I wonder how I can possibly be so lucky with att if its so bad.... I'm no fanboy of either att or verizon but my ATT service is flawless.

I have never dropped a call in anywhere except my computer laden cell phone death trap of a house, I get service literally everywhere I go (northeast), and my internet is very fast on my samsung impression (not my favorite phone but serves its function till the next big phone on att)

I liked verizon too when I had it and I thought I would hate going to att but I was very surprised when it was fine.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    I'm not doubting these results but sometimes I wonder how I can possibly be so lucky with att if its so bad.... I'm no fanboy of either att or verizon but my ATT service is flawless.

I have never dropped a call in anywhere except my computer laden cell phone death trap of a house, I get service literally everywhere I go (northeast), and my internet is very fast on my samsung impression (not my favorite phone but serves its function till the next big phone on att)

I liked verizon too when I had it and I thought I would hate going to att but I was very surprised when it was fine.
    That's cool, I doubt any of the phone carriers are likely that bad in any way, plus it's very dependent on where you are. Depending on various issues any carrier can provide either very good or sometimes so-so service. It can also be affected by the antenna of the phone itself. Every phone carrier has plenty of satisfied customers as well as a few who hate it and can't wait to switch.

When it comes to technology in general, I don't have brand loyalty and that includes phones and phone carriers. Everything changes so fast that something that's considered good now could be mediocre in a year or vice versa. I just look at what seems reasonable right now for my needs and budget.
    Last edited by AzraelDarkangel; 12-10-2009 at 01:38 PM.

Fanboy of Good Products
    so i just got a flyer from verizon in the mail today offering, get this, the droid for $49.99! how am i supposed to resist this kind of offer!?!

edit: ok now i'm not so sure. help me clarify. the fine print says "$299 2-yr. price less $100 mail-in rebate debit card, $100 new every two discount and $50 preferred customer discount. Requires new 2-yr. activation on a voice plan with email feature." i'm eligible for an upgrade do i qualify for this $49 price?

edit #2: just got back from the verizon store i do qualify for that price, now i just gotta talk the wife into it..

edit #3: wife said no to the $30 data plan. fml.
    Last edited by shoota; 12-11-2009 at 07:19 AM.

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

need this on rogers 3g bands bad....
    all we got up north is magic and the g1 :T

Xtreme Guru
    Just picked up a Droid and unlimited plan. So far I'm loving it. I have a bb tour for work and so far the Droid is a lot better. Mainly in performance.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Fanboy of Good Products
    nice. still trying to talk the wife into it. it's funny how we can't spend $50 on a phone and $30 extra a month but we can go to target and spend hundreds...

T400 for non-crunching

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    nice. still trying to talk the wife into it. it's funny how we can't spend $50 on a phone and $30 extra a month but we can go to target and spend hundreds...
    I lol'd pretty hard
    i7 920
    P6T Deluxe
    6GB G-skill 1600
    4870 1gb
    2x 500gb 7,200 barracuda raid 0
    900W PSU
    BenQ G2400WD 24"
    Sennheiser PC 350

http://www.youtube.com/user/knissel

Xtreme Addict
    Do you guys also get some lag or slowness? I seem to get it worst when I pull down the notification tab. Strange that it would lag there and not when I am going through emails or web pages.
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Intel i7 3770k
    ░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░ ASUS GTX680
    ░░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░░ ASUS Maximun V Gene
    ░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░░ Mushkin 8GB Blackline
    ░░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█░░░░ Crucial M4 256GB
    ░░░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█░░░ Hitachi Deskstar 2TB x2
    ░░█▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█░░ FSP 750W Gold
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Fractal Arc Mini

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    where did you find the droid for 50 bucks?

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by \/icious View Post
    where did you find the droid for 50 bucks?
    got an ad from verizon in the mail. two year new + rebate + preferred customer discount. all adds up to $49.99.

side note: just spent $68 dollars at target today... geez..

T400 for non-crunching

Xtreme Cruncher
    i just got mine sunday, my last phone was over 4 yrs old, motorola v-25 flip phone
    Its not overkill if it works.

Fanboy of Good Products
    how do you like it so far?

T400 for non-crunching

Xtreme Cruncher
    nokia n900 here with maemo 5 cortex A8 with gpu and its amazin if you guys like the droid the N900 is a lot better the community is moving very very fast
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] leviathan18 View Post
    nokia n900 here with maemo 5 cortex A8 with gpu and its amazin if you guys like the droid the N900 is a lot better the community is moving very very fast
    different networks.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Fanboy of Good Products
    yep

T400 for non-crunching

there is a good app called pdanet which allows for tethering. free version does not work with https. pay version is 30 USD and it works on os x and windows alike. im thinking about cancelling my internet for a few months.

Xtreme Cruncher
    mmmm right the only ones with gsm in usa are tmobile and att, verizon is all cdma right ?
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast