Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI 5870 wanted by project for Beta test WUs

Xtreme Cruncher

ATI 5870 wanted by project for Beta test WUs

GPUGrid is asking for people with ATI 5870s for testing.

This is good news. Hope it works out ok.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Whoa... glad they're already testing stuff for ati!

But that's a strong card to ask for... Hope they still take the 4 series, I have a feeling we have a lot of those around here!
    (and I hope the compete point wise!)

Xtreme Cruncher
    WOW im for it and happy they finally got some thing to work with from ati hell its a cheaper to go with a pair of 5870s in cross fire then a pair of gtx 295s

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    Whoa... glad they're already testing stuff for ati!

But that's a strong card to ask for... Hope they still take the 4 series, I have a feeling we have a lot of those around here!
    (and I hope the compete point wise!)
    it will be interesting to see where they end up point wise. i cant find anything at all about molecular dynamics or ffts running on ATi cards so i dont know what to expect. i still think nvidia could beat them if they dont have some serious skills at programming. i will still go with a fermi based card. maybe the opencl gpugrid app will work with the gtx 260 192s.

Xtreme Cruncher
    It will be nice to have a choice. I hope they can do comparable point wise to nvidia.

Xtreme Cruncher
    folding@home drop the ball on the ati cards they was not able to take advantage of the full streaming processing unit or ati wasn't not sure who to blame. lets hope the gpugrid can get it to work with 1600 streaming then we got some thing good. but i still think the 300 is going to win as far as the points
    goes. time will tell.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowwind View Post
    folding@home drop the ball on the ati cards they was not able to take advantage of the full streaming processing unit or ati wasn't not sure who to blame. lets hope the gpugrid can get it to work with 1600 streaming then we got some thing good. but i still think the 300 is going to win as far as the points
    goes. time will tell.
    See the key for me is PPD/$... not necessarily performance strait out.

Anyone trying it so far? Need to get some results!

...Oh bob...

Xtreme Cruncher
    im going to as soon as i can find a 2 5870s in stock ati is my card of choice but for PPD when i was folding Nvidia is the PPD king as for the 4 series i got 2 4850
    X2s i would love to get working again.

Xtreme Cruncher
    From what I understand ATI has made improvements in the Stream programing software and that is why gdf is trying them. Not so much new hardware as software. ATI never put the resources behind Stream that nVidia put into CUDA.

Xtreme Cruncher
    now that your refreshing my memories i think i said all ati cared about was getting the gaming crown back a year ago in the folding section thanks poppa for the reminder. I also have trouble remembering but im just not ready to look for a rest home just yet,

Xtreme Cruncher
    Specs have been lowered.

hi,
    AMD does not want us to distribute any DLL at the moment, so you must install it yourself. Sorry about that.
    YOU NEED:
    1) ATI-opencl-beta driver
    2) ATI-opencl-sdk stream SDK
    from
    here

The minimum card is a Radeon 4850. Below this one shared memory is emulated so it is terribly slow.

WU submitted will be very short just for us to get some data.

gdf
    Guess I better dust off my 4850 and put it in a machine!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    Specs have been lowered.

Guess I better dust off my 4850 and put it in a machine!

Let us know! Can't wait to see how these compare!

And best of luck - hope they don't cause any problems!

Xtreme Addict
    The timing is Perfect! I just received a 5850 yesterday and found another and promptly ordered it! It will be here early next week.

I am as setup as I can get until they come help a flunky out. Says I have no Nvidia Gpu...well, uh, yeah....DUH!

These cards are monsters! $300 for ~150K/day on Collatz. Not sure what they will pay on GpuGrid, but it's about advancing the technology! The next step forward.....I'm in!

Gispel is the guy that got ATI going on MW and Collatz....now he's helping GpuGrid!

Collatz WUs:

8800GS--50-60min
    260/216 65nm--30min
    5850 stock--8.5min
    5850 @ 902/1250--6.8min
    5850 @ 920/1250--6.5min
    Last edited by Naja002; 11-12-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hope they get this working that well on GPUGrid! That would be intense!

even 100k PPD from a single cards would be incredible!
    And for $300... How could I not?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    Hope they get this working that well on GPUGrid! That would be intense!

even 100k PPD from a single cards would be incredible!
    And for $300... How could I not?
    I've received ~2.5x as many points on Collatz as GpuGrid. So, assuming everything stayed the same...it should be worth ~28K/day. However, I'm still trying to determine what this 5850 is worth on Collatz. I doubt it's worth much less than 50k/day, but may turn out to be worth ~80K/day. Just going to take a little waiting to find out.

I've moved the OC up to 920/1250...not really pushing too hard too fast, but I've had zero OCing issues so far. That's on air. These babies are going on Chilled water.....

Going to add the new OC into my previous post...

EDITED: To correct bad information....
    Last edited by Naja002; 11-24-2009 at 06:01 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I tried the 4850 and all WUs error within 20 secs. gdr has now said 4000 series way too slow and they will not support them. So I guess I will sell it and the GTX 260. Ebay gonna nickel and dime me to death.

Xtreme Cruncher
    my 4850s did the same thing Pops im going to keep them.
    the 4850s still play games that i play online and i dont see the point to upgrade them for playing games. now to find a pair of 5870s in stock for the GPUGRID,

Xtreme Cruncher
    The 57xx would be easy to buy, wonder how they will do?

Xtreme Cruncher
    you should be able to run gpugrid with your 4850 when ATi gets an updated openCL driver. the same thing happened with CAL 1.4 earlier this year. you can wait or just buy a 5xxx card. its up to you. basically with out shared memory it would run like ATi on f@h.

Xtreme Cruncher
    that is what worries me about getting a 5870 or even 2, I bought my 4850s for F@H point wise they are not very good.
    Pops will tell you the same thing and my 4850s was a full time baby sitting job when i was folding with them. Nvidia is
    the way to go for folding.

Xtreme Cruncher
    not sure how they will do i guess we wait and see what a real
    WU can do to show us the PPD, right now they are still testing small WUs.

Xtreme Cruncher
    not sure how they will do i guess we wait and see what a real
    WU can do to show us the PPD, right now they are still testing small WUs.
    This can't come fast enough!

...Christmas lists anyone?

Xtreme Addict
    I tried the 4850 and all WUs error within 20 secs. gdr has now said 4000 series way too slow and they will not support them. So I guess I will sell it and the GTX 260. Ebay gonna nickel and dime me to death.
    They're just having a lot of issues atm, PG. I can only recall 1 person getting things going successfully. IIRC, it seemed that everyone else was erroring out. I can't even get the thing to give me some WUs....

my 4850s did the same thing Pops im going to keep them.
    the 4850s still play games that i play online and i dont see the point to upgrade them for playing games. now to find a pair of 5870s in stock for the GPUGRID,
    Word on the street is= save yourself $100/card and go with the 5850. It's damn near as fast and can be OCed like crazy (with Asus or MSI Bios). I got mine up to 1003/1330 before it started failing.

Just a headsup: the 57xx won't run MW. Something to do with the lack of double precision. No sure exactly, but from what I can gather there's a difference in the 57xx series...and it's a reason to avoid the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    you should be able to run gpugrid with your 4850 when ATi gets an updated openCL driver. the same thing happened with CAL 1.4 earlier this year. you can wait or just buy a 5xxx card. its up to you. basically with out shared memory it would run like ATi on f@h.
    GDF:
    We managed to try on a 4850 and shared memory is still emulated, so the card seems to be quite slow.

It is likely that the only cards where ATI put a good hardware support for shared memory are the new 5000 cards.
    That sounds like a hardware issue to me.....
    Last edited by Naja002; 11-24-2009 at 06:02 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Looking for an XFX Radeon HD 5850? We Got'em!

XFX and HardOCP have teamed up to offer our registered HardForum members first shot at purchasing an XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850! Stocks have been low, but XFX is letting [H]'ers get first dibs! XFX part number - HD585AZNFC (XFX HD 5850) - $299.99 Plus tax, shipping, and handling. This offer is for USA shipping addresses only. XFX is also offering a bundle on its new 850 watt BE PSU and with the above listed 5850. Cost for XFX 850W Black Edition PSU is normally $199.99. A $50.00 bundle discount for a total of $449.98 for both the PSU and the video card. Plus tax, shipping & handling to USA only. Stock will be limited to the first fifty PMs sent the XFXSupport account at HardForum.com. Please include your full name, USA shipping address, and phone number. An XFX representative will call to process the billing information. Discussion - Permalink

Xtreme Addict
    Nice find, PG! I found the 1 I ordered yesterday through an "In Stock" online tip. Was all set to grab one of these, but they are limited to the first 50, and a rep will call to process the payment info.....not really wanting any calls, personally. If I could order and then call them...that would be cool. I'm ok atm, but twitching to possibly get a couple more of these and start selling off my 8800's + water blocks....

I just wanted to add in here that these reference cards are all exactly the same...the only difference in the cards themselves is the sticker. Other then that, it's just brand name, warranty, free game, etc....

And from what I can tell, stock should start trickling in ~Nov. 20th. I would expect these cards to still be flying off the shelves, but in stock availability should start improving around then.....that's a week from now, so not so bad....
    Last edited by Naja002; 11-13-2009 at 12:21 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast