Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Review] Triple Radiators V2

Never go full retard

[Review] Triple Radiators V2

Triple Radiator Performance Comparison V2
    HWLabs GTX360, HWLabs SR1-360 Swiftech MCR320,
    Swiftech MCR320 Stack, ThermoChill PA120.3, TFC X360, XSPC RX360

by Cameron (skinnee) Shears - November 8, 2009

Here we are in the next installment, Going to keep it short and simple...just the data you want to see. Full Review - Triple Radiator Comparison

Thermal Performance Test Results

Before moving into the eye-candy charts, I want to show all of the finalized thermal test data that will be used for our Applied C/W tables and charts. I feel that as a tester it is crucial that I maintain an open book for test methods, data and results. One thing I can always count on with the Liquid Cooling community is the sheer number of you out there who double check my calculations, you guys always keep me on my toes and help me with presenting the information as well as implement additional tests for data you are interested in. Instead of making you scroll past all of the tables, I quickly made one page that has all of the data tables in one. Click the link below to view the data tables in a new window...

Triples V2 Data Tables...

Applied C/W Data
    From all of the individual tests performed on the radiators included, we have a data set that we can use as a comparison, this is C/W. Below is another one of my data tables, since these are small I'll display them. It is these tables that drive the C/W and Delta T charts that compare all of the radiators together. As a reminder, the results you see in the data tables are the applied C/W results with a given Delta (Water Avg-Air In) to find how much wattage each the radiator dissipate. For each data table the calculations include Deltas of 15º, 10º, 5º and 2º. Once again, here is my classifications for those deltas.
    • 15º Delta: Low Performance, an overloaded but capable loop.
    • 10º Delta: Average Performance, very capable of good temps and representative of an average system.
    • 5º Delta: High Performance, for those of you looking to achieve the best possible temps.
    • 2º Delta: Ultra Performance. extreme setups only, this would be an ultimate setup where you limit to dedicated block loops.

Applied C/W to Watts Dissipated

The next set of charts are the simplest way for me to plot the data out for which radiator can dissipate the most watts at a give fan speed. I added a trendline for those of you who prefer and fan speed different than one of the six speeds I tested at. But please remember, the trendline is a estimated prediction and not true representation. Just look at the discrepancy among the plotted data points and how the trendlines are close, but not through some of the plotted points.

Looking at the Average Performance 10C Delta chart, nearly all of the radiators are clumped together within roughly 20 watts of each other...remember, the pump heat dump of the D5-S5 with EK V2 Top averages 18 watts. The only outlier 1000RPM and under is the GTX, the extra fin density and low speed fans don't show well, but that is nothing new for most of you. If there is one major thing to point out, just look at the 1400RPM grouping... not a bad radiator in the bunch at 1400RPM. As we move up the RPM scale, higher FPI radiators start to pull away and the GTX just takes off. And like always, the 2ºC Delta numbers just to bring some water temp reality back to your build planning.

Estimated Delta T

Lets do something useful with the C/W, take an estimate heat load of some common components. I decided on two different configs, a CPU only loop and a CPU with two GTX275's in SLI. Thankfully eXtreme Outervision's PSU calculator is always kept up to date, lets use this handy tool and come up with our heat loads.

CPU Only Loop

For the CPU loop, I left TDP at the recommended 85%, chose and Overclocked i7 920 (4200MHz, 1.35V) and came up with 259w...but lets add in 18w for the pump too. Total for our CPU only loop is 277w. If you use the calculate button, remember to subtract 38w, or use it as your pump heat dump and a little buffer on the heat load for you loop.

The biggest standout for me is just how close nearly all the radiators are from 1000RPM all the way to 2800RPM, only 600RPM being the largest variance between all in the round-up (but who expected the high FPI of the GTX360 to perform at near silent fan speeds. One other surprise is the TFC 360 lack luster performance at 600RPM, didn't realize that 12FPI coupled extra thickness meant a 1C hit. Other than those two points, it really comes down to price and what you want to see in your loop.

CPU with SLI GPUs Loop

As I promised earlier, lets just use the 38w base from eXtreme Outervision's PSU calculator instead of subtracting 38w and adding 18w (or subtract 20 of the top for you math geniuses) to compensate for pump heat dump on our CPU and SLI GPU loop scenario. Again, using the PSU calculator leave TDP at 85% specifying an Overclocked i7 920 (4200MHz, 1.35V), Nvidia GeForce GTX275 and choosing SLI from the Video Type drop down... hit the calculate. 463 watts it is.

Same things stand out for me from the CPU only loop, just with the added heat load means higher deltas. There really isn't a radiator that I would advise against from 1400RPM on up, as for 1000RPM and slower, the HWLabs SR1-360, Swiftech MCR320, ThermoChill PA120.3 and XSPC RX360 are great. Although, the XSPC RX360 and HWLabs SR1-360 are the kings of low CFM fan speeds.

Conclusion

Overall, every radiator performs, its a matter of fans and the speed you want to run them at. However, I don't recommend a GTX360, TFC360 or MCR320-Stack (3 fans) for 1000RPM and under. The GTX360 is just a high FPI radiator that excels with medium and high speed fans the GTX series wins hands down 1800RPM and above. The TFC X-Changer 360 but the TFC has some extra thickness with the higher FPI (12FPI), so the performance isn't great before 1400RPM and comes in second after the GTX beyond that... I expected better for all the hype and seeming popularity.

For Medium speeds of 1000,1400, and 1800RPM, its a toss up really, I personally think prices and aesthetics be your deciding factor. The HWLabs SR1 is a low speed performer, then tails from the pack after 1000RPM which is what we would expect from low FPI and a dual row. But the XSPC RX360 didn't give up the 1000RPM crown and the 600RPM loop delta on our SLI scenario was 0.08C which is basically equal. The RX series is perfect match for all fan speeds. We can't forget the mighty Swiftech MCR320 though, for those in the US its your best price:performance radiator available at any fan speed. The MCR320-Stack just doesn't work as a sandwich, but I've got some exploratory testing to run as I know the extra surface area of the stack will drop the loop deltas, its just a matter for fan configuration. And finally, the legendary ThermoChill PA120.3... always a solid choice sporting lowest restriction around and stellar performance across all fan speeds... oh yeah, and the latest revision uses standard 15mm fan spacing. I just wish ThermoChill could catchup with available stock and get more online retailer coverage. The PA120.3 is my own personal favorite, afterall I own 6 ThermoChill PA's of one flavor or another.

Like I said, not a bad radiator in the line-up. Choose your radiator based on fans speed (RPM/CFM/Static Pressure) and noise. If that doesn't make the decision for you, price and aesthetics are the other criteria you'll have to compare. If all else fails, make a poll at your favorite forum and watch a debate ensue, you'll might end up more confused though.

Full Review - Triple Radiator Comparison V2

Last edited by skinnee; 09-10-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: lashings for the editor...wait thats me.

Xtreme Member
    let me be the first : another great review mate Thank You
    Last edited by masska; 11-08-2009 at 10:09 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks great. Thanks for the (incalculable amount of) work that goes into this.
    Please note: I am not here to provide any kind of official NCIX support on these forums.

For faster (and official) service please contact me at Linus@ncix.com, or please contact our customer care team at wvvw.NCIX.com (Canada) or wvvw.NCIXUS.com (America)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647

Very much appreciated Skinnee.

This review is definately an improvement over V1 (not saying V1 wasn't good) in that it places all the figures into 2 realistic scenarios. This review will really benefit anyone new to water cooling who is beginning to read into the intricacies of it all.

Great work mate, your testing really allows enthusiasts to make informed decisions before they purchase kit.

Great job, skinnee

Xtreme Addict
    Yup, well done once again skinnee.

I am Xtreme
    you finally did it - actual loads..cpu only and with a video card....

bravo

@1400 rpm GTX rads RULE

Xtreme Member
    Really nice testing once again skinnee!! Very happy with my PA still.

What I'm wondering though is how a Black Ice GT Stealth 360 would compare to the Swiftech MCR320? Anyone have any data on that?

My other option would be to use the MCR320 I have with these fans:

http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/prod...oducts_id=1215
    Last edited by woffen; 11-09-2009 at 02:24 AM.

Thanks a lot for the through review, great work.

My personal conclusions for medium to low noise environments are:
    the GTX is possibly the best radiator on the market provided that you can fit fans on both sides, achieving a flow rate comparable to an higher fan speed at a lower noise.
    Nevertheless, the price premium for such performance is completely unjustified: twice the price for not even a degree less just makes no sense, especially if you can fit an additional (obviously not stacked) rad for a more definite temperature and noise drop, so we can probably consider the MCR the real winner.

Anyway, whenever you got time to spend, a push/pull with optional shrouds analysis would be much appreciated. I'd really enjoy a noise-to-performance chart including all possible combinations.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great read , would love to see next a dual 120mm fan rads comparison and Quad 120mm fan rads.

Xtreme Member
    Great info!
    WAITING FOR SOMETHING...
    FULL LIQUID BY YBRIS
    Ybris A.C.S. FULL CHROME Limited Edition N°058 | Ybris A.C.S.-G FULL CHROME Limited Edition N°058 | SANSO PDH-054 12V A.F. | Feser Xchanger Q.R. 480 with Feser Xtender blue\Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000rpm | Tecnofront Bay Trap | Tygon R-3606 3\8" 1\2"

Xtreme Member
    Awesome review. Thanks for putting your time into it!

Xtreme Addict
    Nice review Skinnee!

Love my GTX's. They give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Excellent review Thanks for this.

I also love Thermochills
    [Project] : Altair | A Lian-Li PC-P80, dual loop, all internal build. Written as a tutorial for any newcomers

Hardware
    Core i7 920 D0 | 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz CL8 RAM | 2x EVGA GTX 285 SLI | ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 | ASUS Xonar D2X
    2x Intel X-25M SSD | Corsair HX-1000W | Lian-Li PC-P80 | Dell 3008WFP 30"

Watercooling Gear (Dual Loop)
    Koolance 350AT (CPU Loop) | 2x Koolance VID-NX285 (GPU Loop) | 2x Laing DDC 3.2 / XSPC Acrylic top Rev. 3 | 2x EK Multioption 150 Res Ver. 2 | 2x Thermochill PA 120.3 |
    6x Scythe S-Flex 1200 RPM Fans | 7/16" Primochill Pro Green LRT | 7/16" Primochill Pro Blue LRT | B.P. Silver Shiny 1\2" Barbs | Alphacool Ball Valve / B.P. M-M Rotary fill-port / drain | Bitspower Black Freezer AIX58NS NB/SB (GPU Loop)| Black Freezer MOS AMOSII POM Version (GPU Loop)| Bitspower Black Freezer MOS AMOSIII POM Version (GPU Loop)

Xtreme Addict
    Great review as always. I can only imagine the amount of time it takes to do testing like this. It is testing like this that has made a huge change in the last few years in watercooling and how the manufacturers even make their components.

This testing to me shows hands down that the MCR320 rad is the clear price/performance winner for lower speed fans. The MCR320 for $52 at jab-tech has almost the exact same C/W at both 1000 and 1400rpm as the $94 XSPC RX360 and the $120 Thermochill PA120.3. There is no way that the price difference justifies the .2c or so difference in temps when you can buy 2 MCR320s for < one PA120.3 or just $10 more than one XSPC RX360.
    Last edited by voigts; 11-09-2009 at 07:05 AM.

Xtreme Member
    As always very appreciative of your time and efforts! Thanks!

Xtreme Member
    So what about a MCR360 stack with 9 fans?
    Cosmos S | Corsair HX1000 | Core i7 920 | DFI X58 | 12GB Super Talent DDR3 1333 Samsung HCH9 | 3x HIS Radeon HD7970 IceQ 2 | VelociRaptor 300GB | BD-RW

TFC360 | HeatKiller 3.0 CPU w/ Koolance Backplate | 2xPMP450S | Koolance 450x2 dual bay res | Swiftech MCR220 + MCR220 Stack | 3x Heatkiller HD7970 Waterblocks | Enzotech NB

Xtreme Enthusiast TheBlueChanell's Avatar
    Very good review. Kudos to you for putting together this together. Makes me happier with my rx360 purchase and I'm glad I didn't spend the extra $40 on the TFC 360.
    Main: 900D - Prime 1000T - Asus Crosshair VI Extreme - R7 1700X @ 4.0ghz - RX Vega 64? - 32GB DDR4 3466 - 1TB 960 Pro -
    --- XSPC AX360 x3 - HK IV Pro - HK RX480 - HK 200 D5 - BP Compression ---
    HTPC: 250D - Prime 850T - Gigabyte G1 ITX - i7 6700K @ 4.5ghz - GTX 1080 Ti - 16GB 3200 - 1TB 960 Pro -
    --- ST30 x UT60 - Kyros HF - KryoGraphics 1080 - HK100 DDC - Monsoon Compression ---
    HV01: Define XL R2 - Prime 1200P - Asus Zenith Extreme - TR 1950X - RX580CF - 128GB DDR4 ECC - 512GB 960P - 4x 2TB RE
    HV02: Node 804 - Prime 850T - SuperMicro X1SSH - E3-1230 v6 - Vega FE - 64GB ECC - 512GB 960 Pro - 4x 6TB Gold -

Never go full retard
    Thanks for the kind words everyone, I may not be the quickest at testing and review turnover, but I keep plugging away.

Quote Originally Posted by India48 View Post
    This review is definately an improvement over V1 (not saying V1 wasn't good) in that it places all the figures into 2 realistic scenarios.
    Thanks, its tough trying to find the right presentation for the data...

Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post

bravo
    you were right, it is a great method for explaining C/W.

Quote Originally Posted by JaD View Post
    Anyway, whenever you got time to spend, a push/pull with optional shrouds analysis would be much appreciated. I'd really enjoy a noise-to-performance chart including all possible combinations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamantine View Post
    So what about a MCR360 stack with 9 fans?
    Its a matter of fitting in the tests when all the required monitoring and test fixture components are available. Plus there is that whole day job and wife versus lab time thing, always makes tests/reviews take longer than they should. Shrouds, push/pull and variable flow rate are on the list... but they will be focused testing, only a few radiators will be used for those tests.

...back to the grind of the day job.

Xtreme Guru
    Another great review. It seems that the MCR320 outperforms the SR1s hey.

The Swiftech rads are a great value for low RPM fans.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Technician
    Awesome comparison dude - top man for putting all the time in .

Quite taken by the RX360 data - its looking far better than I gave it credit for based on previous reviews.

Do you have any Magicool rads to test? They're pretty cheap over here so quite popular. I use Magicool XT's and my feeling is they're slightly behind the mcr320, but without a proper reviewer on the case who knows.

Do you reckon push pull would mix things up a bit? I'd be surprised if the high fpi rads didnt do significantly better than they have so far with a push/pull low rpm config.

Admin
    Theory says that push-pull will help most when air saturation numbers are the highest (it's not a causal relationship, they just go hand-in-hand).

So that means it helps more at lower RPM and the 'high speed' radiators benefit the most (if you go through the individual reviews, the MCR-320 Stack and GTX360 would benefit the most, then the TFC, then the PA, then the MCR, then the RX, then the SR1).

Anyway, great stuff Skinnee

Awesome to see some delta@wattage graphs as well, really shows that the Thermochill PA-era optimization for low fan power has been useful (considering our practical heatloads); all the rads are within a couple degrees at high fan speeds, but poor low-speed optimization really kills performance (witness GTX360 at 600rpm being so far behind the pack)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Great job, skinnee

Amazing. Job well done!

Now get back at testing 2*120mm and 140mmrads!
    Dutch techies visit www.geekswarm.nl

Hardware: Antec P180b | Corsair HX850W | MSI P55-GD65 | Core i7 860 | 2*2GB Corsair Dominator PC12800 CL7 | Sapphire HD5870 + XFX HD5870 | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB|WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Cooling: Swiftech MCP355 + XSPC ResTop | ThermoChill Pa120.2 & TFC X-changer 120 | Swiftech Apogee XT | EK-FC5870 Acetal+Nickel | Tygon 3603 |Feser Ultra Pure + Corrosion blocker | 6*Scythe S-Flex F @ Scythe Kaze Master Ace

Bench: DimasTech Easy 2.5 | MSI-P67A-GD65 | Intel Core i7 2600K | 2*4GB Corsair Vengeance PC12800 CL8 | 2* MSI R6950 CFX

Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post

bravo

@1400 rpm GTX rads RULE

I'm a little confused by this ... the GTX looks like a great rad, just wondering why you say it rules @ 1400. From skinnee's graphs, the MCR 320 is equivalent, and the TFC, TC, and XSPC show slightly lower deltas. Just wondering if there's something I'm missing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast