Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia finally gets Fermi A2 taped out (Charlie)

Banned

Arrow Nvidia finally gets Fermi A2 taped out (Charlie)

Quote Originally Posted by SemiAccurate
    7 weeks into a 2 week process
    by Charlie Demerjian

November 2, 2009

IT LOOKS LIKE Fermi A2 silicon has finally taped out, so the timetables are a little firmer once again. There is no chance of a real launch in 2009, making the chip a shining example of Nvidia's engineering mire.

Lets recap a bit. We said that Fermi, then called GT300, taped out on about Work Week 28 (WW28), and it did. We said that silicon was due back in 6-8 weeks, and cards could possibly be shown publicly on Oct 1. We admit that we overestimated Nvidia's ability to engineer its way out of a wet paper bag with a map, flashlight and a bunch of wood screws here.

It hasn't shown a card yet at all, yields are miserable, but it did in fact get silicon back on either WW35 or 36, which is right where we said it would be, almost to the day. The fact that yields were a joke, coupled with 'puppy' inflicted own goals, made things downright laughable for Dear Leader and company. Nvidia didn't have enough working dies to do the testing it needed, much less show some off for PR, so it faked that.

Back to the chips. Normally the debug and respin process is about two weeks or so, a marker that should have been passed before not-Nvision. As of mid-October, we heard that NV didn't know what the problem was, and that it was going down the metal stack to desperately try and figure it out. People inside honestly honest green said things were rather desperate.

The latest word was that the chip was set for a WW42 tapeout, or was imminent that week. Let's give Nvidia the benefit of the doubt that it did tape out, something anecdotally confirmed by Fudo saying that the chip will be out in early December. If by 'out' he means A2 silicon samples, then it will in fact be out in December. If you use a definition of 'out' grounded in the reality that humans occupy, then no chance.

Assuming that Nvidia parked a few wafers to speed up the next hot lot, it could indeed have a few A2 chips in late November, and boards to show a week or so later. The go or no-go decision could be made on December 1 if all goes perfectly.

From there, if the risk wafers did not need to be scrapped, you are about six weeks from production silicon, best case. Add another two weeks for boards, and you are into February. Given Dear Leader has scheduled a press conference at CES on January 6th, that should give you a good idea of the public timing. For those curious, although Nvidia seems to have forgotten to send us an invitation to their yawner, it will be at noon at the Venetian Hotel on January 6.

Anyway, if all goes perfectly, we are looking at February for the start of real quantities. There will be A2 silicon before that, but nothing in real quantities. Anyone who says otherwise has ulterior motives or doesn't understand how the industry works.

During not-Nvision/GDC, Nvidia was telling people who mattered and AIBs not to expect Fermi until March. Internally it was saying May, but the AIBs were not told that. About the A2 tapeout time, Nvidia's AIB messaging was changed to April or May.

It would be safe to read into this that the A2 stepping is not going to cut it, and an A3 spin is on the cards. Eight weeks added to early February gets you into March, so that lines up nicely with what Nvidia is telling people.

Another bit of anecdotal evidence is that there is no sign of the other four GT300 variants taping out. Those are usually kept in house until the first chip is fully baked, and the fixes are backported. If A2 would have done the trick, there would have been much more movement at TSMC on the variants, and there does not seem to be.

To wrap it all up, A2 is out, but it took about four times as long as it should have. A3 seems very likely, and the chance of anything more than a PR stunt launch in 2009 is zero. Don't believe the hype, Q1 is best case. When you don't have product, spin. S|A

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/11/...i-a2-taped-out
    take it with a grain of salt

Xtreme Addict
    I just wonder how much better A2 is yield-wise compared to A1, because if it hasn't gone up twenty-fold, I'm going to say that fermi might make it to A4, maybe even A5 or it will be scrapped.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Helloworld_98 View Post
    I just wonder how much better A2 is yield-wise compared to A1, because if it hasn't gone up twenty-fold, I'm going to say that fermi might make it to A4, maybe even A5 or it will be scrapped.
    Well, Nvidia is uber, so probably a 100% increase over the previous result, which means 4%.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    just what i was already assuming for the last month...that mass availability will happen somewhere end of March beginning of April next year.not some samples released to chosen review sites but where actually people can go to the store and get the new nvidia series at some affordable price ,not like 600$.
    ---
    ---
    "Generally speaking, CMOS power consumption is the result of charging and discharging gate capacitors. The charge required to fully charge the gate grows with the voltage; charge times frequency is current. Voltage times current is power. So, as you raise the voltage, the current consumption grows linearly, and the power consumption quadratically, at a fixed frequency. Once you reach the frequency limit of the chip without raising the voltage, further frequency increases are normally proportional to voltage. In other words, once you have to start raising the voltage, power consumption tends to rise with the cube of frequency."
    +++
    1st
    CPU - 2600K(4.4ghz)/Mobo - AsusEvo/RAM - 8GB1866mhz/Cooler - VX/Gfx - Radeon 6950/PSU - EnermaxModu87+700W
    +++
    2nd
    TRUltra-120Xtreme /// EnermaxModu82+(625w) /// abitIP35pro/// YorkfieldQ9650-->3906mhz(1.28V) /// 640AAKS & samsung F1 1T &samsung F1640gb&F1 RAID 1T /// 4gigs of RAM-->520mhz /// radeon 4850(700mhz)-->TRHR-03 GT
    ++++
    3rd
    Windsor4200(11x246-->2706mhz-->1.52v) : Zalman9500 : M2N32-SLI Deluxe : 2GB ddr2 SuperTalent-->451mhz : seagate 7200.10 320GB :7900GT(530/700) : Tagan530w

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Well, Nvidia is uber, so probably a 100% increase over the previous result, which means 4%.
    so A6 if this continues to be a trend and 32% yields are good enough,

wait a sec, how long does it take to do a revision and tape it out? If my theory is correct and it's more than a month then ATi will probably have R900 out by Fermi's release or within one month.

Maybe nvidia should think about buying into GF or making their own chips.

Xtreme Guru
    The press conference Charlie is referring to is all about mobile computing according to the itinerary we have seen...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ...Fudo saying that the chip will be out in early December. If by 'out' he means A2 silicon samples, then it will in fact be out in December. If you use a definition of 'out' grounded in the reality that humans occupy, then no chance.
    This really got me laughing
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

Banned
    I would think paper launch late 2009 (i.e. Dec 31st ) but availability in March seems about right

Xtreme Addict
    ^ Charlie says revision should take about six weeks but it took 7 weeks in Nvidia's case.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Charlie is currently living in one of the favorite times of his life.

You can almost see the joy in the letters that he types.
    Asus R2G | i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 | Asus HD 6950 | 6GB Corsair DDR3-1600 C7 | OCZ Vertex 120GB | Antec CP-850 | Antec 1200 v3 | Liteon SATA DVD Burner | Win 7 Pro X64 | BenQ FP241VW |
    No matter where you go, there you are.

Xtreme Mentor
    Fermi will be released late November/ early December, cool!
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
    Charlie is currently living in one of the favorite times of his life.

You can almost see the joy in the letters that he types.
    ahaha so true btw Hardocp is reporting same thing in bset scenario CES in worst march which is bad very bad gives Amd plenty of time actually so much that fermi can face new radeons instead of 5870

Xtreme Addict
    To be honest, a lot of us don't care about immediate availability. We just want to see what it can do in games ..like asap

Fermi is long overdue to get naked in our page 3 of google

Xtreme Member
    Well, I had already made may mind to no 2009 physical launch, but I am currently expecting a soon Q1 2010 launch (january or so). I really hope is nothing later than this...

Xtreme Addict
    if this is true it means Fermi's lower variations will make it in about the same time as ATI's 6000 series :S
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by annihilat0r View Post
    if this is true it means Fermi's lower variations will make it in about the same time as ATI's 6000 series :S
    Derivatives are not directly impacted by the larger chip's delays.
    Late Q2 or early Q3 is still their target.
    32nm 6series is Q4 '10, depending on 32nm capacity/yields.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    Phew.....March to May time? With just the high end? That's a disaster if true.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Some people should be forbidden to write on the internet and that sick guy is one of them. Curious thing is... he has a lot of followers
    ASUS Sabertooth P67B3· nVidia GTX580 1536MB PhysX · Intel Core i7 2600K 4.5GHz · Corsair TX850W · Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    8GB GSKill Sniper PC3-16000 7-8-7 · OCZ Agility3 SSD 240GB + Intel 320 SSD 160GB + Samsung F3 2TB + WD 640AAKS 640GB · Corsair 650D · DELL U2711 27"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaMcO View Post
    Some people should be forbidden to write on the internet and that sick guy is one of them. Curious thing is... he has a lot of followers
    Why is he sick?
    He has an obvious bias against Nvidia for the way he was treated in the past, he clearly shows that bias in his articles.

The FACT of the matter is that he has some very good sources; inside TSMC, Nvidia and AIBs. He gets such good info that it leaves both sides scrambling to stem the leak, that still hasn't been found.

He is much better than the other rumor mill sites to which they simply get rumors from reading through forums and then posting it like they have a source or like recently where they just spew straight PR BS they got from a specific company. Charlie has a decent grasp on the industry, inside and out, the same cannot be said for some of the other sites.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaMcO View Post
    'As the Consumer Electronics Show grows near, NVIDIA partners are having to get their ducks in line for the upcoming show in the second week of January. However many are asking, why exactly they should be there spending hard earned money with nothing to show off except rebadged parts for generations past? Certainly the 8800 GTX / GTS 250 has seen many CES presentations before. We have word from several different sources that NVIDIA is doing its best to have "working" Fermi-based video cards to show off for CES. We are unsure as to what level they will be shown working, if at all, but for all you NVIDIA fans, this is certainly something good to hear.

Even given a best case scenario for NVIDIA, we here at HardOCP.com find it hard to believe that NVIDIA will get any "real" amount of product to market by March of next year. NVIDIA has yet to speak one word to us about the gaming abilities of the Fermi GPU.'

Taken from Hardocp nothing different

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eric66 View Post
    'As the Consumer Electronics Show grows near, NVIDIA partners are having to get their ducks in line for the upcoming show in the second week of January. However many are asking, why exactly they should be there spending hard earned money with nothing to show off except rebadged parts for generations past? Certainly the 8800 GTX / GTS 250 has seen many CES presentations before. We have word from several different sources that NVIDIA is doing its best to have "working" Fermi-based video cards to show off for CES. We are unsure as to what level they will be shown working, if at all, but for all you NVIDIA fans, this is certainly something good to hear.

Even given a best case scenario for NVIDIA, we here at HardOCP.com find it hard to believe that NVIDIA will get any "real" amount of product to market by March of next year. NVIDIA has yet to speak one word to us about the gaming abilities of the Fermi GPU.'

Taken from Hardocp nothing different
    at least HardOCP has the balls to say whatever they want to say,i remember the case with the unreleased console some time ago...no bow to the NVidia marketing department with their TWIMTBP money or review site sponsorhip whateva
    ---
    ---
    "Generally speaking, CMOS power consumption is the result of charging and discharging gate capacitors. The charge required to fully charge the gate grows with the voltage; charge times frequency is current. Voltage times current is power. So, as you raise the voltage, the current consumption grows linearly, and the power consumption quadratically, at a fixed frequency. Once you reach the frequency limit of the chip without raising the voltage, further frequency increases are normally proportional to voltage. In other words, once you have to start raising the voltage, power consumption tends to rise with the cube of frequency."
    +++
    1st
    CPU - 2600K(4.4ghz)/Mobo - AsusEvo/RAM - 8GB1866mhz/Cooler - VX/Gfx - Radeon 6950/PSU - EnermaxModu87+700W
    +++
    2nd
    TRUltra-120Xtreme /// EnermaxModu82+(625w) /// abitIP35pro/// YorkfieldQ9650-->3906mhz(1.28V) /// 640AAKS & samsung F1 1T &samsung F1640gb&F1 RAID 1T /// 4gigs of RAM-->520mhz /// radeon 4850(700mhz)-->TRHR-03 GT
    ++++
    3rd
    Windsor4200(11x246-->2706mhz-->1.52v) : Zalman9500 : M2N32-SLI Deluxe : 2GB ddr2 SuperTalent-->451mhz : seagate 7200.10 320GB :7900GT(530/700) : Tagan530w

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    He is much better than the other rumor mill sites to which they simply get rumors from reading through forums and then posting it like they have a source or like recently where they just spew straight PR BS they got from a specific company. Charlie has a decent grasp on the industry, inside and out, the same cannot be said for some of the other sites.
    Charlie is pretty much the king of tech rumor websites since he's participated in the founding of theregister.co.uk and theinq. Nobody has more sources than he does.
    i5 750 @ 4.2ghz
    EVGA P55 FTW
    8gig G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1055mhz
    Gigabyte 6950 modded
    Seasonic X-650
    Antec P180 modded and watercooled
    Thermochill PA160
    Apogee XT
    MCP350

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If Charlie has good sources, well... put them to good use. I don't really care if he is biased or not, his aggressive way of writing is utterly annoying and turns his articles into bread with no butter.
    ASUS Sabertooth P67B3· nVidia GTX580 1536MB PhysX · Intel Core i7 2600K 4.5GHz · Corsair TX850W · Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    8GB GSKill Sniper PC3-16000 7-8-7 · OCZ Agility3 SSD 240GB + Intel 320 SSD 160GB + Samsung F3 2TB + WD 640AAKS 640GB · Corsair 650D · DELL U2711 27"

Banned Movieman...
    hey guys i know what fermi is, its G92 renamed yet again lol

on a more serious note

just look at it this way if FUD were doing this article noone would say anything

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by eric66 View Post
    ahaha so true btw Hardocp is reporting same thing in bset scenario CES in worst march which is bad very bad gives Amd plenty of time actually so much that fermi can face new radeons instead of 5870
    If history is any indicator for AMD, then you can bet that they'll be resting on their laurels instead of continuing a trend of advancement. Let's hope not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast