Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nvidia finally gets Fermi A2 taped out (Charlie)

Xtreme Member
    I cant remember the last time Charlie was remotely accurate with one of his rants (i wont go so far as call them news), the fact that all his links in his rants point to his other rants is also laughable, its hard to take someone serious when all their references and evidence is their own.

Fermi will launch be it this year or early next, performance specs are anyone's guess but we all know they will be better than the last gen. Will their higher end cards beat the radeon 5780, probably.

What I still don't get is how TSMC's screw ups are nvidia's fault as he keeps implying. One guy asked what we'd rather has someone with a obvious bias or a hidden one, how about a proper journalist with proper sources providing accurate news, not some fat ass glorified internet blogger with an overinflated ego and an ATI stick up his ass...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldon View Post
    I cant remember the last time Charlie was remotely accurate with one of his rants (i wont go so far as call them news), the fact that all his links in his rants point to his other rants is also laughable, its hard to take someone serious when all their references and evidence is their own.
    Where have you been for the last months? Where was he wrong?
    How do you cite a source that has to stay anonymous?
    Yes, his "news" are rumours - but rumors that often turn out to be true.

What I still don't get is how TSMC's screw ups are nvidia's fault as he keeps implying. One guy asked what we'd rather has someone with a obvious bias or a hidden one, how about a proper journalist with proper sources providing accurate news, not some fat ass glorified internet blogger with an overinflated ego and an ATI stick up his ass...
    TSMC produces ATIs chips, too. You can buy them (in limited quantities), now. That implies that Nvidia did something wrong, no?

Xtreme Member
    cough cough...

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/08/...2xx-parts-3xx/ - show me the proof

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/...gh-end-market/ - again where is the proof? Also when did nvidia got booted from the high end market? I must have missed that memo and by who exactly?

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/09/...eilds-under-2/ - again nowhere near accurate, there was a massive discussion about this in another thread...

you know what the nice thing about confidential sources is? You can make them up and no-one will know

As for the yields, wow seems both ATI and nvidia as having trouble, but obviously its cause of nvidia's design, its design is sooo bad that its managed to affect ATI's yields as well (sarcasm), can it be TSMC's fault? according to charlie that's a no :

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-feat...ect-nvidia-ati

http://www.guru3d.com/news/tsmcs-40n...ti-and-nvidia/
    Last edited by Coldon; 11-03-2009 at 03:56 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by >HyperlogiK< View Post
    He does tend to write a lot of little stories based on venom, thin shreds of rumour and padding, but pretty much every major story he has broken over the last 5 years has been reasonably accurate, the only two big exceptions I can think of were 'reverse hyperthreading' and M$ porting DX10 to Windows XP.

If Nvidia/Intel/AMD treated me like crap and I was in a position to hurt their share price and make their CEO look like a buffoon I would certainly take it. It must feel good to be told by the PR people of a multi billion dollar company that you will 'never work in this industry again' and then help make them the laughing stock of the tech community and probably cost them millions of dollars.

+1
    well put
    ---
    ---
    "Generally speaking, CMOS power consumption is the result of charging and discharging gate capacitors. The charge required to fully charge the gate grows with the voltage; charge times frequency is current. Voltage times current is power. So, as you raise the voltage, the current consumption grows linearly, and the power consumption quadratically, at a fixed frequency. Once you reach the frequency limit of the chip without raising the voltage, further frequency increases are normally proportional to voltage. In other words, once you have to start raising the voltage, power consumption tends to rise with the cube of frequency."
    +++
    1st
    CPU - 2600K(4.4ghz)/Mobo - AsusEvo/RAM - 8GB1866mhz/Cooler - VX/Gfx - Radeon 6950/PSU - EnermaxModu87+700W
    +++
    2nd
    TRUltra-120Xtreme /// EnermaxModu82+(625w) /// abitIP35pro/// YorkfieldQ9650-->3906mhz(1.28V) /// 640AAKS & samsung F1 1T &samsung F1640gb&F1 RAID 1T /// 4gigs of RAM-->520mhz /// radeon 4850(700mhz)-->TRHR-03 GT
    ++++
    3rd
    Windsor4200(11x246-->2706mhz-->1.52v) : Zalman9500 : M2N32-SLI Deluxe : 2GB ddr2 SuperTalent-->451mhz : seagate 7200.10 320GB :7900GT(530/700) : Tagan530w

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    Fermi will be released late November/ early December, cool!
    Earlier you were talking of 17th, my friend. How does it sound now, huh?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    And the release date and the "you said, he said, I say" "owned" blah blah fanboy/people wars continues

Is it any entertaining ? 'cause you guys seem to enjoy it...

Grow up ppl, the product will get out whenever the manufacturer desires, can't you just wait and see ?
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Member
    We will see what chip is used for the midrange and lower power Fermi generation cards - when they come out.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/...gh-end-market/ - again where is the proof? Also when did nvidia got booted from the high end market? I must have missed that memo and by who exactly?
    I read that there are GTX200 shortages. There are no 55nm yield problems. So Nvidia seems not want to deliver chips. To me this sounds like "abandons the mid and high end market".

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/09/...eilds-under-2/ - again nowhere near accurate, there was a massive discussion about this in another thread...
    I don't know how you can decide what is (not) accurate in this article, but what indicates that charlie is right
    - no working Fermi shown
    - not even a (no mockup) Fermi card shown - wasn't Fuad promised to be shown a real card?
    Hopefully they had enough working A1 samples to do the debugging for A2.

you know what the nice thing about confidential sources is? You can make them up and no-one will know

As for the yields, wow seems both ATI and nvidia as having trouble, but obviously its cause of nvidia's design, ...
    I'm not talking about TSMC. Even though the factory is not running that good - ATI got their chip done. Who do you want to blame for that Nvidias chip is not ready?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    the product will get out whenever the manufacturer desires
    As easy as that, huh?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by rouvio View Post
    Well, if it'll never come out than its lost anyways.
    I say "worst case" is Q1-11

Admit it - if this is true you will be pissed!
    depends... if lrb finally comes out and actually does ok, who needs nvidia?
    as long as there is competition itll be alright... i'd miss nvidias 3d innitiative tho... their flickering stuff sucks, but they are at least trying to bring it forward...

can it be TSMC's fault? according to charlie that's a no
    of course, he never said its not tsmcs fault... tsmc has a lot of problems with 40nm and 32nm, he wrote about that in one article of intel helping tsmc with 32nm since they need tsmc to build 32nm atom soc's for them.

his point is that ati was better prepared for mfc problems, which i agree with... they had a small part on 40nm, then a slightly bigger one, and then a big one (rv740,rv840,rv870). nvidia reworked G92 into GT2xx parts and shrunk those to 40nm, which took them forever, and even now that this is done, it doesnt seem to help them to get GT3xx stuff done on 40nm... that was kinda stupid... getting out a big GT3xx chip first was stupid imo... what they really need right now and in the near future is a midrange-highend chip, not a ultra highend chip... they should have done a GT200 like chip based on GT300 design... would have beaten rv870, and would have been much smaller and easier and cheaper to make. they knew 40nm had problems all along, and they continued with their massive gpu strategy... thats just plain stupid if you ask me...

if hes right, and im pretty sure he is, then there wont be anything close to rv870 availability for gt300 until early or mid Q2 2010... and thats gt300... cut down chips will follow after that in Q3... that means from right now until Q3 there is nothing to replace GT200 price performance wise... a halo product is crucial, but having a halo product and nothing else... thats not going to work out very well... will nvidia go bankrupt? of course not... but they will suffer... and the worst isnt nvidia, its nvidia exclusive partners... evga is a great company, but what are they going to do without new parts from nvidia? build more frankenstein cards based on old chips?

And the release date and the "you said, he said, I say" "owned" blah blah fanboy/people wars continues
    then why are you reading and posting here? of course its entertaining!
    there were a lot of people calling charlies stories BS and claiming GT300 is launching in november and everything else is just lies and pr nonsense... gt300 is coming soon and its super awesome, its just so quiet because... its so awesome that nvidia is keeping it supa dupa secret...

the product will get out whenever the manufacturer desires
    you make it sound as if nvidia had stockpiles of gt300 cards ready for launch but... nah... they just dont feel like launching it yet hehehe

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    then why are you reading and posting here? of course its entertaining!
    there were a lot of people calling charlies stories BS and claiming GT300 is launching in november and everything else is just lies and pr nonsense... gt300 is coming soon and its super awesome, its just so quiet because... its so awesome that nvidia is keeping it supa dupa secret...

you make it sound as if nvidia had stockpiles of gt300 cards ready for launch but... nah... they just dont feel like launching it yet hehehe
    I'm tired of all the whining and mine is bigger than yours lately.
    Just that.

My post's point was "No matter what you do, whine, b*tch, have great expectations, spread fud, leak info, estimate performance, indulge into flame wars, etc" the POINT IS THE PRODUCT WILL BE OUT WHEN IT'S OUT, YOU CAN'T CHANGE THAT OR IT'S ABILITIES.

For what it's worth, nVIDIA can release 100 cards this week from their online shop... what would this cause ?
    Some happy owners, some whiners and more/less hype depending on the product's performance and who gets to get a card.

Get out, get a drink, get a girlfriend, get layd ( obviously misspelled on purpose ), do something productive.
    Overclock... bench... chat... work... study.

Is fighting with rumors and daydreams regarding an upcoming product all you have/can do guys ?
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict

Grow up ppl, the product will get out whenever the manufacturer desires, can't you just wait and see ?
    Someone loves to miss the point.

Keep going, bro.

Xtreme Mentor
    Just that.

My post's point was "No matter what you do, whine, b*tch, have great expectations, spread fud, leak info, estimate performance, indulge into flame wars, etc" the POINT IS THE PRODUCT WILL BE OUT WHEN IT'S OUT, YOU CAN'T CHANGE THAT OR IT'S ABILITIES.

For what it's worth, nVIDIA can release 100 cards this week from their online shop... what would this cause ?
    Some happy owners, some whiners and more/less hype depending on the product's performance and who gets to get a card.

Get out, get a drink, get a girlfriend, get layd ( obviously misspelled on purpose ), do something productive.

Is fighting with rumors and daydreams regarding an upcoming product all you have/can do guys ?

Great post, all my respect bro'

Fanboyism suxxx and fu** flies doesn't bring anything

Xtreme Addict

Doing all the things you mentioned and I still have lots of time to whine and troll
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Addict
    Just that.

I highly agree.

a person who doesn't none of the above equal charlie. I can't imagine him getting a girlfriend or getting laid.

So if you don't want to turn into charlie, get off fanboying.

Another time charlie being wrong is when he said r600 was going to be faster than g80.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh, Nvidia, when will you get your act together? I want some competition, for crying out loud
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    I can't imagine him getting laid.
    Good god man, why would you want to imagine that!!!??

Xtreme Addict
    I am quite sure Charlie have a wife...?
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    Its a blow up doll of RUBY, I heard about the the wedding. Nvidia was not invited.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    The FACT of the matter is that he has some very good sources; inside TSMC, Nvidia and AIBs.
    I wonder who in their right mind inside of NVIDIA would give an employee of AMD such as Charlie such sensitive inside information, unless they just absolutely loathe their own company.
    DFI LANParty DK 790FX-B
    Phenom II X4 955 BE (1003GPMW) @ 3.8GHz (19x200) w/1.36v
    -cooling: Scythe Mugen 2 + AC MX-2
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB
    8GB PC2-6400 G.Skill @ 800MHz (1:2) 5-5-5-15 w/1.8v
    Seagate 1TB 7200.11 Barracuda
    Corsair HX620W

Support PC gaming. Don't pirate games.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    I pity her
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Addict
    Its a blow up doll of RUBY, I heard about the the wedding. Nvidia was not invited.
    wth everyone thinks that charlie likes ati check his old articles before nvidia hate

Banned
    At least he got married. I heard your blow up doll up and left you.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by eleeter View Post
    At least he got married. I heard your blow up doll up and left you.
    id bet on someone around here sig'n that

Xtreme Addict

Of course we can wait and see. It's not like we have any choice, throwing a temper tantrum won't make a product come out any faster, lol.

But I still like discussing the possible future, both near term and far term. It is entertaining and mentally stimulating. It helps you think rationally and develop your logic. You don't have to be in some "I'm always right, your always wrong" mode. Learning something new and changing your mind is also type of personal growth.

What disappoints me is the prevalence of Ad hominem attacks here. Everyone who uses that a news article, bit of information, or rumor came from a certain person as an excuse to dismiss the argument outright commits the aforementioned logical fallacy. Just because the argument is coming from Charlie, or a fanboy, a hater etc doesn't mean that their argument doesn't have it's own truth value, regardless of the source. Remember guys, attack the argument - not the person. I'm disappointed that so many here will violate such a widely known logical fallacy without even thinking twice. I blame our education system, lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123