Thread: AHHRHH! Windows 7 Home Premium = ONLY One Physical Processor !!!!

Thumbs down AHHRHH! Windows 7 Home Premium = ONLY One Physical Processor !!!!

Good grief, I've been trying to troubleshoot for a long time now why only 2 cores show up in my task manager (active), yet in the device manager I see all 4. I have 2 physical processors, 2 cores each (Opterons baby).
    Legit, just bought version of Home Premium.
    I was under the impression that "as advertised" this product would support multiprocessing !!!
    To my great disappointment, only one physical cpu is supported, unlimited cores !!

I wan't to sue Microsoft. What can I do, I don't want to be forced to upgrade to Windows Professional now that I just bought Home Premium !!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Don't think you'll have much luck against Microsoft. It's not been a secret that HP would only support one processor. It's been public knowledge since at least March:

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp

Xtreme Addict
    yeah, i'm afraid. there never was a home version of windows that supported more than 1 physical cpu.

edit: @RazzleUltra: the site you posted got their info wrong and say home premium supports 2 physical cpus

a correct comparison can be found on wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...mparison_chart
    Last edited by RaZz!; 10-31-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

home has always supported only 1 cpu, and u should never buy home anyways it dont have the backup utility, domain support, xp mode, vhd mounting
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZz! View Post
    yeah, i'm afraid. there never was a home version of windows that supported more than 1 physical cpu.

edit: @RazzleUltra: the site you posted got their info wrong and say home premium supports 2 physical cpus

a correct comparison can be found on wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...mparison_chart
    Lol! Good catch!

I'd obviously mis-remembered the chart when I first saw it.

Must be getting old, my apologies

Well its funny, I phoned into tech support because of this problem. There checking with there "resident computer genius". Getting a call back on monday. Wonder what there going to say...

I pre-ordered Home Premium, got the 50% discount at the time =) Now I wish I had known, like this information was public and easy to confirm.

Anytime upgrade to Professional, $130 - ridiculos to be forced into this from where I stand. I'm willing to pay for Professional, pre-order price, the difference between from what I paid for Home Premium. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to resort to underground methods. =(

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Carandiru View Post
    Well its funny, I phoned into tech support because of this problem. There checking with there "resident computer genius". Getting a call back on monday. Wonder what there going to say...

I pre-ordered Home Premium, got the 50% discount at the time =) Now I wish I had known, like this information was public and easy to confirm.

Anytime upgrade to Professional, $130 - ridiculos to be forced into this from where I stand. I'm willing to pay for Professional, pre-order price, the difference between from what I paid for Home Premium. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to resort to underground methods. =(
    I have a professional key I might be able to trade you for the HP key?
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Xtreme Member
    Dual cpus on a HOME product? Ah come on.....you should know better!
    "There's only 2 jobs in the Army, infantry...and those who support the infantry"

Intel 2600k @ 4ghz
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    16GB GSKill 1600mhz
    MSI GF 560Ti 2GB
    2x OCZ Vertex 3
    2x WD Black 640GB RAID0
    Windows 7 Professional x64

I am Xtreme
    It's been the same way in XP and Vista... Home Version = single socket support only.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Noob question here; So if the Operating system does not recognize the core I7 hyperthreading/physical processors giving what could be 8 processors but only showing 4, does this mean the system is not running at full potential or Just that you cannot see it?
    Components;
    »Obsidian 800D
    »CPU: Intel Core i7 940 OC'd to 3.69
    »Motherboard: Evga X58
    »EVGA GeForce GTX 295
    »CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3x2GB)

Water cool parts;
    »RAD - EK XT360, EK XT260 & XSPC RS120
    »CPU Block - Alphacool H14 Yellowstone BRB
    »Koolance Northbridge/Southbridge Water Block
    »Black Feeser Mosfet Block
    »EK-FC295 GTX GPU Water block
    »EK-Multioption RES 250
    »2 x Swiftech MCP355™ Water Pump
    »XSPC Dual Acrylic Top

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by triggs75 View Post
    Noob question here; So if the Operating system does not recognize the core I7 hyperthreading/physical processors giving what could be 8 processors but only showing 4, does this mean the system is not running at full potential or Just that you cannot see it?
    It means the OS can't use it, so the system isn't running at full potential.
    There shouldn't be an issue with a single i7 though. The problem encountered is with physical procs and not amount of cores.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by faster3200 View Post
    It means the OS can't use it, so the system isn't running at full potential.
    There shouldn't be an issue with a single i7 though. The problem encountered is with physical procs and not amount of cores.
    Thank you for clarifying it for me.

Chad
    Components;
    »Obsidian 800D
    »CPU: Intel Core i7 940 OC'd to 3.69
    »Motherboard: Evga X58
    »EVGA GeForce GTX 295
    »CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3x2GB)

Water cool parts;
    »RAD - EK XT360, EK XT260 & XSPC RS120
    »CPU Block - Alphacool H14 Yellowstone BRB
    »Koolance Northbridge/Southbridge Water Block
    »Black Feeser Mosfet Block
    »EK-FC295 GTX GPU Water block
    »EK-Multioption RES 250
    »2 x Swiftech MCP355™ Water Pump
    »XSPC Dual Acrylic Top

hyperthreading is an i7 8 logical processors but 1 physical, home will only support 1 physical. but unless u crunch or do encoding its not a big deal as u can disable hyperthreading and run cooler and a little faster when not using more than 4 cores.

i dont see why people buy home, its not much cheaper than pro and its missing major features, back in the xp days people who had the knowlage to build a computer only bought pro why did the change to home with vista and up happen
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i dont see why people buy home, its not much cheaper than pro and its missing major features, back in the xp days people who had the knowlage to build a computer only bought pro why did the change to home with vista and up happen
    I bought Vista x64 Ultimate edition last time, and I didn't use any of it's features, so this time I bought Windows 7 Home Premium.
    Intel Core i7 6900K
    Noctua NH-D15
    Asus X99A II
    32 GB G.Skill TridentZ @ 3400 CL15 CR1
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5
    Sennheiser HD-598
    Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Western Digital Raptor 600GB
    Asus 12x Blu-Ray Burner
    Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner with NEC chipset
    Antec HCP-1200w Power Supply
    Viewsonic XG2703-GS
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Logitech G502 gaming mouse w/Razer Exact Mat
    Logitech G910 mechanical gaming keyboard
    Windows 8 x64 Pro

Back from the Dead
    Win 7 HP is for Dells and other crap OEMs.. go Pro, it's worth it (Ultimate isn't though)
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

u didnt use the backup utility, or more than 8GB of addressing space, windows explorer with pluralization support. and for 7 home is missing domain join, native pluralization for .net, vhd support. or support for more than 4 logical cpus (7 supports 8 vista was 4)

pro is only $20-30 more i dont see why any1 would skip it, ulti i can see since its pro+bitlocker and boot from vhd. but home is missing basic functions

Xtreme Addict
    u didnt use the backup utility, or more than 8GB of addressing space, windows explorer with pluralization support. and for 7 home is missing domain join, native pluralization for .net, vhd support. or support for more than 4 logical cpus (7 supports 8 vista was 4)

pro is only $20-30 more i dont see why any1 would skip it, ulti i can see since its pro+bitlocker and boot from vhd. but home is missing basic functions
    Pluralization support? WTF is that?

Where did you get this information on these differences? I've never heard any of this before..

I'm interested in what you have to say dude..

If there's that much differences between the versions, I'll pick up a copy of Windows 7 Pro.
    Intel Core i7 6900K
    Noctua NH-D15
    Asus X99A II
    32 GB G.Skill TridentZ @ 3400 CL15 CR1
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5
    Sennheiser HD-598
    Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Western Digital Raptor 600GB
    Asus 12x Blu-Ray Burner
    Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner with NEC chipset
    Antec HCP-1200w Power Supply
    Viewsonic XG2703-GS
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Logitech G502 gaming mouse w/Razer Exact Mat
    Logitech G910 mechanical gaming keyboard
    Windows 8 x64 Pro

Xtreme Cruncher

It's a fair point, but the other way to think of it is why spend that money on features I have no interest in using?

All my data is hosted on a NAS, so the backup's no use to me really.

Don't need more than 8GB of addressing space (yet).

Don't run a domain at home.

Don't use VHD discs/images.

Currently still only using a dual core, never mind four or eight cores.

Like a lot of others, I got burned with the Vista Ultimate, so I'm perfectly happy with HP.
    Last edited by XS_Rich; 11-03-2009 at 12:23 AM.