Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HD5800 series and HD5700 series not yet at full performance

Banned

Exclamation HD5800 series and HD5700 series not yet at full performance

source (german):

http://news.ati-forum.de/index.php/n...oller-leistung

(poor) translation here:

http://translate.google.com/translat...state0=&swap=1

the first full optimized driver for Radeon HD5xxx VGAs is supposed to be Catalyst 9.12

Xtreme Member
    I hope it's true, but wassup with the link, not really a credible source.
    Home PC: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz l Asus Maximus VI Hero l Corsair Dominator Plantinum 2400mhz (4x4GB) l Asus GTX 690 l Samsung 840 Pro 256gb l 2 x WD Black 1T storage drive l WD MyBook 500gb External l Samsung SH-S203N DVD l Creative X-Fi Titanium HD l Corsair AX1200 PSU l Planar SA2311W23 3D LCD Monitor l Corsair 800D Case l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l Sennheiser HD-590

Water Cooling Setup: Swiftech 320 Radiator (3 X Gentle Typhoons 1450rpm 3 x Gentle Typhoons 1850 rpm) l Swiftech Pump w/XSPC Res Top l Heatkiller 3.0 CPU Block l Heatkiller GPU-X GTX 690 "Hole Edition" Nickel l Heatkiller Geforce GTX 690 GPU Backplate l Koolance 140mm Radiator l Danger Den 1/2ID UV Green tubing l EK EKoolant UV Green Liquid

-Impossible is not a word

Xtreme Addict
    I wasn't even able to install the 9.10 drivers to Win7. It keeps saying they are not certified and refuses to run them.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme Member
    I've been keeping an eye on the futuremark benchmarks. So far the HD5770 seems to be lacking performance. The HD5850 is looking strong but even with nice over clocks it falls quite a ways from the HD58570. The 5870 looks strong but stronger would be great.

I hope this is true. HD5770 is hurting right now.
    Last edited by SonDa5; 10-30-2009 at 07:50 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Not surprising. 5870 should be way ahead of 4870x2 yet it is not. But damn, 9.12? That's like a month and a half away.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by annihilat0r View Post
    I wasn't even able to install the 9.10 drivers to Win7. It keeps saying they are not certified and refuses to run them.

Strange....both my Win7 machines updated to the 9.10 drivers without a hitch at all.

Xtreme Member
    They should focus mainly on fixing/adding crossfire on newer titles, in the form of hotfixes like nvidia do.
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO B3 + Intel i5-2500k @ 5.0 GHz + Noctua NH-D14
    8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance XMP (kit 2x 4GB) 1866MHz / Gainward Geforce GTX470 SLI watercooled
    120GB SSD Kingston HyperX (games) / 1x 30GB SSD OCZ Vertex Turbo (system)
    22" LG IPS226V-PN / PSU Fortron AURUM GOLD 700(W) / Cooler Master HAF Tower RC-932

Xtreme Member
    Any other sources of info?

This could just be rumor to motivate people to not return their cards. After getting jacked on the prices and then it not performing much better than previous hardware I can see alot of people getting upset and returning the cards.

Xtreme Legend
    ati will enable the sideport to quadruple performance, just like they did on r700 with their new magical driver

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by SonDa5 View Post
    After getting jacked on the prices and then it not performing much better than previous hardware I can see alot of people getting upset and returning the cards.
    what kind of math are they using in dimension you're coming from?

not performing much better than previous hardware.... yeah right
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by W1zzard View Post
    ati will enable the sideport to quadruple performance
    Yes, yes, cmon ...

, just like they did on r700 with their new magical driver
    Aw.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict

This could just be rumor to motivate people to not return their cards. After getting jacked on the prices and then it not performing much better than previous hardware I can see alot of people getting upset and returning the cards.
    yeah. cos, like, who reads reviews? when I encounter a box that writes HD5870 in it, I expect at least 35 times the performance of 4870.

no seriously, 5870's are a bit of a letdown, but I bet anyone who spends $400 on a graphics card has done his research and knows what to expect.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme Mentor
    Personally... I'm not sure how much I buy this. It would be nice, but honestly don't keep your hopes too high to avoid a disappointment.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Addict
    Great news. Drivers improve over time.
    Also:
    The earth orbits the sun.
    Fire is hot.
    1+1=2
    etc.

XS_THE_MACHINE

Can I have some of what you are smoking?

xtremespeakfreely.com

Semper Fi

Xtreme Addict
    Well, if HD4870 costs ~130 EUR and HD5750 costs just the same, i think it's logical to take HD5750. They are not too different in performance, but DX11, better aniso filtering and FSAA probably make up the difference. Plus, there is still a potential for performance boost with new driver releases. Sure i'd prefer a 256bit monster, to make a proper upgrade, but i blame NVIDIA for not releasing proper counterparts to combat market prices and performance. But since AMD is the only one with DX11 hardware at the moment, prices and performance is the way it is.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Excellent trolling sir, I tip my hat to you.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Excellent trolling sir, I tip my hat to you.
    I'm no troll.

I asked for more evidence of the source.

Please don't label me as a troll because I am participating in a discussion.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    Great news. Drivers improve over time.
    Also:
    The earth orbits the sun.
    Fire is hot.
    1+1=2
    etc.

This is not news. The first few months on a new architecture is like paying to do beta testing, imo.

Xtreme Addict
    Since when has R800 been new architecture?

Copy paste ftw.

Banned
    Copy paste ftw.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by W1zzard View Post
    ati will enable the sideport to quadruple performance, just like they did on r700 with their new magical driver
    You beat me to it!!! lol it seems like everytime ATi releases a new hardware they promise better performance with future drivers, i knew something like this was bound to appear sooner or later, either way i am happy with my card. If we get more performance with 9.12, all i gotta say is cheers to that

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    I'm no troll.
    I see. In that case, as said above by another poster, care to share?
    I asked for more evidence of the source.

Please don't label me as a troll because I am participating in a discussion.
    No, you really didn't, and no, you really aren't. If your point was that this is unsourced information, the rest of your post was unnecessary. If you've read any reviews of the 58-series, you'd know that on average, a 4870 is soundly beaten by a 5870, sometimes even to the tune of a single 5870 matching a 4870X2. There has also, to the best of my knowledge, been no crowd with pitchforks and torches camping outside AMD headquarters demanding their money back and proclaiming their dissatisfaction with their new purchase. Participation in a discussion turns on a cogent and contributive posting, not patently false assertions and FUD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    Copy paste ftw.
    Quote Originally Posted by eleeter View Post
    Copy paste ftw.
    THIS IS DELICIOUS PASTA YOU MUST EAT IT
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Not surprising. 5870 should be way ahead of 4870x2 yet it is not. But damn, 9.12? That's like a month and a half away.
    I wouldn't say WAY ahead, but I'd expect 5-20% in most cases

Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    Since when has R800 been new architecture?

Copy paste ftw.
    it's a big tweak. compare/contrast the power figures with the 4890. Heck compare them to the 4770.
    what ATi did here is spectacular.
    new core with a fair bit of internal rework. but the old drivers weren't optimized towards being frugal with memory bandwidth since there was an excess of it. This time there needs to be bandwidth optimizations galore. The 5770 SHOULD be faster than the 4870 in most scenarios once the drivers are up to par.
    Last edited by xlink; 10-30-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective
    I see. In that case, as said above by another poster, care to share?
    No, you really didn't, and no, you really aren't. If your point was that this is unsourced information, the rest of your post was unnecessary.

It's how you interpret it i guess. I wasn't trying to sling any fud in any manner.

More performance would be great. I really didn't need to add any more thought to my post but the credibility of the OP's source is what got me thinking "out loud".

Does anyone recall online sources stating that the HD5770 would perform 1.6x times better than the HD4770?

I do.

One of the reason why AMD is not mass producing Radeon HD 4700 (RV740) series now is because HD 5700 series will be replacing it soon and will come one month after HD 5800 series. It will meet head on against the NVIDIA's D10P1 (GT215) series in October so expect a full fledge war then. With a performance target of 1.6x over the HD 4770 and 1.2x over the HD 4750, they are surely packed with enough power to pit against the NVIDIA's lineup. Pair them up and you will get a boost of 1.8x which is roughly the performance of a Cypress card
    Source:
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/juniper-....html?doc=7626

More information on subject with Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&e...HD4770&spell=1

Besides the HD5850 that I own I also have 2 HD4770s.

So far all the benchamarks that I have seen don't put the HD5770 1.6x ahead of HD4770 in performance.

This is why I wonder about the credibility of the OP's source.

In the case of the HD5770s I think they are lacking in performance. Maby in time the drivers will improve their performance or the pricing will match the current performance they are putting out. I'm not saying they are bad cards. Just not as much performance as I was expecting based on what I read online.

Again please don't label me as a troll just for sharing my opinion. I don't endorse FUD at all. I believe in freedom of speech and information. Just a guy who has an interest in computer technology.
    Last edited by SonDa5; 11-02-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast