Thread: interesting info on ES chips

Xtreme Cruncher

interesting info on ES chips

I was looking at the Intel datasheet for the Xeon 33xx series and ran into this section.

BCLK[1:0] directly controls the FSB interface speed as well as the core frequency of the processor. As in previous generation processors, the Yorkfield processor core frequency is a multiple of the BCLK[1:0] frequency. The processor bus ratio multiplier will be set at its default ratio during manufacturing. It will be possible for engineering samples to override this feature through the use of Model Specific Registers (MSRs) that are set through the BIOS. Refer to the Wolfdale Processor Family BIOS Writers Guide (BWG) for the details about these MSRs and the setting scheme of the core frequency to FSB multiplier ratios. The Yorkfield processor supports Half Ratios between 7.5 and 13.5, refer to Table 2-14 for the processor supported ratios.

Some processor engineering samples allow the core frequency to be configured by writing the desired core clock frequency to system bus ratio into bits [12:8] of the CLOCK_FLEX_MAX MSR. The BIOS must then initiate a CPU-only reset. After the CPU only reset, the processor will begin operating at the new core clock frequency to system bus ratio. Refer to the Wolfdale Processor Family BIOS Writers Guide (BWG) regarding details about this feature. Production processors will not support modification of this register since the required ratio is set during manufacturing. No user intervention is necessary, and the processor will automatically run at the speed indicated on the package.

The processor uses a differential clocking implementation. For more information on the processor clocking, refer to the CK505 Clock Synthesizer Specification.
    Does that mean, that if i had a custom written BIOS for my board that i could make available the ability to increase my multiplier? I'd love to see what the BIOS Writers Guide says if anyone could track down a copy.
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

Chasing After Diety
    ^ is how punks unlocked the W3520 and are raping some of the W3580 people even...

Cheaters... *kicking the can*
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Cruncher
    any further info would be greatly appreciated and i would be willing to crunch on the account of anyone who could make this possible...once i get stable. Naekuh first if he sends me whatever info i need to get on his account

i think this chip has a bit more room but i am at the limits of my board or close to it, so if i could lower my FSB and use less NB and VTT voltage i could see where it takes me. here is where i am at now. I just failed after 9hrs, bumped up vNB and seeing what happens

Last edited by 64dragon; 10-29-2009 at 01:19 PM.
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

c[_]
    ... gotta figure out how to do this on the gigabyte boards!

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Cruncher
    If this is true why don't we see custom BIOSes everywhere then? That would be the joke of the century, this can't be right.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I don't know, how many people have ES chips AND look at the data sheets to know about this?

anyone know an email addy for Asus USA that i can try and see what i can get from them

also, i don't know exactly what Naekuh was refering to unless he could provide links, i don't know anything about i7's but from what i've been able to find, i don't know that it is excatly the same as what i'm asking for. i don't know what uncore means. i've not come up with any results here on XS about unlocking W3520's but here is a thread on EVGA's forum and post 15 may confirm the unlocking but i can't see pics at work and get websensed going to most forums. http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100615991&mpage=1�

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by 64dragon View Post
    I don't know, how many people have ES chips AND look at the data sheets to know about this?
    Yeah, as I was reading through this I forgot it was about ES only. Guess it's been a hard week and I'm ready for the weekend lol.

Chasing After Diety
    no i saw an unlocked Xeon 3520.

It was retail.

Unless its one of those inhouse chips that someone here posted has.... which doesnt say ES, and i highly doubt that...
    It was unlocked Via Bois.

And yes the guy who has the inhouse knows who im talking about.
    Feel lucky.. i never got to play with an inhouse CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by v0dka View Post
    If this is true why don't we see custom BIOSes everywhere then? That would be the joke of the century, this can't be right.
    Imagine how pissed i was when my friend.. btw its a she also... wiped the floor off the W3580 benchmark i had, because she got to unlock her multi on a P6T6 WS. I mean the W3520 was cheaper then the W3580 by a lot.... :\

But i owned her when i showed off Nadeshiko. :P
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 10-30-2009 at 10:33 AM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

c[_]
    Could we use WCPREDIT to adjust the registers in windows? Might be able to test on a few 5450 systems that are a bit FSB limited..

Xtreme Legend
    translation: on ES cpus with unlocked multipliers, the multipliers are set by writing to CLOCK_FLEX_MAX MSR, locked desktop cpus can not use this register and will run at their intended multiplier automatically. afaik this is not 100% correct, you can reduce the multiplier downward using this?
    Last edited by W1zzard; 10-30-2009 at 04:48 PM.

c[_]
    It doesnt say it has to be an unlocked ES though, just an ES.. so its tempting to try and see if the "locked" ES's will play well with this method.

No Intel CPU's have been downward locked since the P3 I believe, so possibly its just not mentioned because its not useful information?

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    It doesnt say it has to be an unlocked ES though, just an ES
    that's what "some" means in intel-speak

.. so its tempting to try and see if the "locked" ES's will play well with this method.
    afaik this simply describes the standard way of changing the multiplier on intel, how it has been for ages

c[_]
    Oh, so retail samples do allow adjustment of that register even though it says they dont?