Thread: My car stereo

Xtreme Cruncher

My car stereo

Well it has a Alpine deck that is a few years old, and I could definitely use a new one. I just replaced the rear 6"x9"s. The stock ones were pioneer with a very small magnet. I put in some Kenwood 5 ways. They hit pretty hard for what they are. They are a really harsh speaker but they are very dynamic. I get distortion at the same volume level so I figure that it's the deck's fault. I'm going to get a separate amp for the 6x9's and I might bridge in a sub we'll see.

Does anyone know how much power will be sent to the 6x9's with a bridged sub in the mix?
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] 2long4u View Post
    Well it has a Alpine deck that is a few years old, and I could definitely use a new one. I just replaced the rear 6"x9"s. The stock ones were pioneer with a very small magnet. I put in some Kenwood 5 ways. They hit pretty hard for what they are. They are a really harsh speaker but they are very dynamic. I get distortion at the same volume level so I figure that it's the deck's fault. I'm going to get a separate amp for the 6x9's and I might bridge in a sub we'll see.

Does anyone know how much power will be sent to the 6x9's with a bridged sub in the mix?
    Depends on the amp/sub.

Get a 4-channel amp then you can put the 6x9's on 2 channels and the sub bridged to the other two.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

My car stereo

Nice set up. I just recently upgraded the speakers on my car. It came with an in-dash and stock 17 year old speakers. So they were swapped out.

I am Xtreme
    ha stevil beat me to it.

how are we supposed to know how much power they will get if you havent told us the RMS power rating of the amp.
    you need a 4 channel amp that bridges down to 1x stereo channel. not just 2 mono channels (unless you run the right into one channel and the left into the other channel)
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

ditch the rears, put some good comps up front, sub in the rear with the amps, youll be good to go

Xtreme Addict
    Yea just get a decent rockford 4x100 W amp with some good 3"'s in the dash and your 6x9's in the rear. Drop a 250W amp to run a pair of 15's in the trunk. Dont forget to put silicone under your license plate and your tail light lense assemblies to deaden that god awful vibration noise that come off of every homies car you have ever stood next to while it was thumping because the homie is to freeking lazy to put on some vibration dampening.

God I hate the sound of license plate buzz every the bass hits. People are just lazy about not correcting it. Lazy, because it takes less then 10 minutes for a license plate. maybe 30 minutes for the tail light lense assembly.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

c[_]
    Lestat - there are no 4 channel amplifiers that bridge down to 1 channel.

250w for a 15" sub, let alone two?? Not enough!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    ditch the rears, put some good comps up front, sub in the rear with the amps, youll be good to go
    look at this man's avatar... he knows the way. follow him.

you want something like the Hifonics ZXi60.4 +1K

here's some basic info you need: the number of Ω (ohms) of the speaker changes the power of the amp channel it's on. Every amp is rated at power for 2-ohms, 4-ohms, 8-ohms, and sometimes 1-ohm. Remember, sub amps are only for subs and subs only hooked to sub amps (or an amp with a crossover for the sub channel). These are the very basics....
    Last edited by SolidGoldstein; 03-13-2010 at 01:19 AM.
    PC:
    ATCS 840 (black) -=- M12D
    X58A-UD5 / i7 920 [3.0 Core, 6.6 QPI, 3.6 Uncore] + ICD7 + Noctua NH-U9B
    6GB HyperX DDR3 @ 1800 C8 [150x12] / ATI FireGL V7700 + DELL P2210 + Sceptre 17" extended -=- Intel X25-V + WD Black(s) + BenQ DW1655 + Samsung S243N
    Stereo: ECHO AUDIOFIRE 4 --> [custom Mogami TRS ICCs] --> Samson 201a --> [Mogami] --> JBL L830s

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Lestat - there are no 4 channel amplifiers that bridge down to 1 channel.

250w for a 15" sub, let alone two?? Not enough!
    Hehe depends on your perspective. My two 15" rockford subs with a lowely 250W rockford amp broke the welds on my trunk lock after a few months. The vibration cracked the welds.

I had to have it rewelded.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

c[_]
    Dash on my truck came loose from a pair of 18's being fed 800w RMS each..

SolidGoldstein - Amp ratings can be anywhere from 0.25 ohms (old "cheater" amps) to 8 ohms. 0.5 and 1 ohm are quite common these days (two of my amps are rated at 0.5, the third big one is rated at 1).

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    SolidGoldstein - Amp ratings can be anywhere from 0.25 ohms (old "cheater" amps) to 8 ohms. 0.5 and 1 ohm are quite common these days (two of my amps are rated at 0.5, the third big one is rated at 1).
    ...and your point is ???

No need to get into the minutiae, the OP just needs to realize that the amps have several ratings / output wattage based on the other components.
    PC:
    6GB HyperX DDR3 @ 1800 C8 [150x12] / ATI FireGL V7700 + DELL P2210 + Sceptre 17" extended -=- Intel X25-V + WD Black(s) + BenQ DW1655 + Samsung S243N
    Stereo: ECHO AUDIOFIRE 4 --> [custom Mogami TRS ICCs] --> Samson 201a --> [Mogami] --> JBL L830s

Xtreme Addict
    Also how the speakers are connected to the amp and/or each other will affect the power the amp can put out.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidGoldstein View Post
    ...and your point is ???

No need to get into the minutiae, the OP just needs to realize that the amps have several ratings / output wattage based on the other components.
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    Also how the speakers are connected to the amp and/or each other will affect the power the amp can put out.
    And gain control, and box type, and impedance rise (as well as impedance dip, more technical based on number of coils and travel though).

Xtreme Member
    That's not the same thing, and there's really no need to get into all that in this thread.
    PC:

c[_]
    It is the same, they all influence your clip point and on weaker amps you can kill an amp with too much impedance dip.

Xtreme Member
    OK - you win the intarwebs.
    PC: