Thread: Powdercoating outside of case

Xtreme Enthusiast

Powdercoating outside of case

Has anyone powdercoated the outside of their aluminum case? Is this a bad idea?

I'm also looking at automotive paint the 3 jobs that do 2-3 layers. Anyone have experience?

Engineering The Xtreme
    I powder coated the exterior of flow, it can be risky because powdercoat is especially susceptible to orange peel and this cannot be sanded out. - you need a very very good coater to get a flat finish if it is possible at all. I would try to go with an automotive paint if this is available to you in the color you want

I am Xtreme
    I've powdercoated the exterior on 3 different aluminum cases. Twice were anthracite and one metallic bronze. All were very high gloss and turned out amazing. It was always the interiors that my powdercoaters had issues with.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    powdercoat is especially susceptible to orange peel and this cannot be sanded out.
    I recently discovered this is not true. it can be sanded and polished just like paint. I was sceptical when I first heard of it as I have have dealt with powdercoated parts at work for the last ten yrs. and none of the powdercoaters we use had ever heard of it. but we gave it a try and it works beautifully.

EDIT: BTW harbor freight has a powdercoating gun on sale for $60 till 11/9 cheapest I've ever seen one
    Last edited by hutkikz; 10-28-2009 at 02:30 AM.
    Help Save Lives Join World Community Grid!

Rampage Formula | E8600 | 2x2Gb Gskil F2-9600CL5D-4GBPI| Saphire 5870|2x intel x25-v 40gb, WD 640gb black| Silencer 750 | 655 > pa 120.3 > fuzion v.2 > ek nb5 > ek 250 | cm 690

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by hutkikz View Post
    I recently discovered this is not true. it can be sanded and polished just like paint. I was sceptical when I first heard of it as I have have dealt with powdercoated parts at work for the last ten yrs. and none of the powdercoaters we use had ever heard of it. but we gave it a try and it works beautifully.

EDIT: BTW harbor freight has a powdercoating gun on sale for $60 till 11/9 cheapest I've ever seen one
    ORLY? thats great, my powdercoater told me I couldn't sand mine, but it might be worth a try on a part that is less visible

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the share!

Xtreme Mentor
    ive powdercoated 4 cases and alos powdercoat at my job: automotive and industrial parts

basically if you use the right powder and the right gun its comes out beautiful. ( http://www.tiger-coatings.us/ this is the best powder in the business)

the only problem is the inside of computercases, since the powder is applied with a static charge, hardrive and drivebays cause a "faraday" effect and its hard to make the powder stick in certain areas.

so u basically have to drill out the rivets to powdercoat and separate the pieces.

which isnt to hard and then u can replace them with nice screws which adds the the flare ;-)

good luck and if u have any more questions let me know
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Xtreme Enthusiast