Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ads

On the rise!
    OK, I love XS and I have just contributed to the Xtreme Upgrade so I hope this ad thing gets fixed. Every time I open a new page on the site I get bombarded with "OHHH, you have won a $1000 gift certificate from Wal-Mart" and it startles the living out of me every time!
    Last edited by m411b; 11-01-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Really??? Really??? Frigging talking ads now. I don't care if they keep the friggin mouths shut, but to announce that I have won something is got to go, otherwise I will not be able to come here during work hours. I really don't need my boss thinking all I do is surf xtremesystems, even if I do.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    I love XS.

But I very occasionally really, really hate the way this site is run. I don't mean this as a personal criticism, because I know this is a spare-time hobby and Fugger & Co. have no obligation to keep the community running, but seriously - the number of times XS has gone down, or changes that should have been tested on a dev server have buggered something up for everyone and caused massive issues (a la the ad situation), is absolutely inordinate and creates a bad impression to those who might not be here long-term.

I'm sure many folks here would be willing to help out as far as fixing stuff on the code/software side of things goes - perhaps we should be making more use of our community resources here?

Finally, it'd be great if we could get some kind of an official response here, even if it is just "Sorry guys, we buggered things up, our bad, this isn't new XS policy, we're working to fix it".
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Life's Replay
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    I love XS.

But I very occasionally really, really hate the way this site is run. I don't mean this as a personal criticism, because I know this is a spare-time hobby and Fugger & Co. have no obligation to keep the community running, but seriously - the number of times XS has gone down, or changes that should have been tested on a dev server have buggered something up for everyone and caused massive issues (a la the ad situation), is absolutely inordinate and creates a bad impression to those who might not be here long-term.
    Exactly, it's irritating to see that a site with more than 100,000 members is so unreliable when all the 'features' could be tested so easily somewhere else where nobody gets mad.

I'm sure many folks here would be willing to help out as far as fixing stuff on the code/software side of things goes - perhaps we should be making more use of our community resources here?
    Yes. For God's sake, we have a forum with thousands of people who can overclock a piece of toast to 6GHz and we have to put up with screaming banners? There must be hundreds of people on here who are not only willing, but also capable of helping out when it comes to running the site. The same thing goes for a new skin for the site, why is it so hard???

Finally, it'd be great if we could get some kind of an official response here, even if it is just "Sorry guys, we buggered things up, our bad, this isn't new XS policy, we're working to fix it".
    Yup. For now it's just this thread full of veteran members and new ones alike all complaining that this isn't the way it's supposed to be - and they're right.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Guru
    dont mind the ads but these audio ads cross the line..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Can I ask when the forums will return to normal?

Seems like everytime I post or view a topic, the layout changes all the way to the left with a large white space on the right. o.O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    The spam ads problem really infuriates me to the limit. I might sound harsh but this crap has to stop now. I know that the forum and site need money for hosting and server maintenance and publicity brings the much needed money but the spam ads have no place here. I am absolutely fine with ads from PC parts manufacturers (motherboards, cpus, video cards, cases, psus, watercooling and such).

Xtreme Addict
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Soon we are going to click an AD and Get a virus from XS well the less knowledgable people will then you will see a post in the AV section how do I remove XS virus,
    Good joke,
    Seriously we have so much people here that are good at coding on this site yet this site is slow as hell and poorly coded.
    Case: Corsair 400R
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    mobo: Maximus IV Gene
    CPU: 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.19 volts
    RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 1866mhz 2 x 4 gigs
    OS Drive: Kingston Hyper X ssd 120 gig
    Graphics: XFX HD5850
    Cooling: Corsair H100

Xtreme Addict
    Awwwwww, sheesh. Now there's Talking ads...... Scared the shat out of me. ( )

Quote Originally Posted by NapalmV5 View Post
    dont mind the ads but these audio ads cross the line..

100% agreed.

Xtreme Addict
    Ok.. talking add still here.

*Shields on, beam me out, Scotty.*
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Ω
    So why did I exactly pay for XS membership if i was going to get hit with spam and audio spam anyway?
    Ω Raven Build Blog

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
    " Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" - In times of war, the law falls silent.

Xtreme Member
    The spam ads have to end. No questions asked!

Attack Dachshund
    I agree the audio ads are a little unneeded, especially for XS communtity.

for example, i just tracked the one I just saw for a walmart gift gard ad and a ipod ad... the crappy audio ones are coming from http://cdn.fastclick.net

here's the walmart audio one
    http://cdn.fastclick.net/fastclick.n...6m%3D1%26c%3D0

and the ipod audio one (this one is really annoying because it blocks some links to the forum)
    http://cdn.fastclick.net/fastclick.n...6m%3D1%26c%3D0

Last edited by MikeB12; 11-02-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    The audio advertisements have got to go.. break the website.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hell I want a refund...

On the rise!
    Good thing is, I got rid of the majority of the ads with ABP. But, I get this now and also before:

Xtreme Addict
    I agree with everyone else here in that the talking ads have got to go. I don't mind ads on the forum and I will generally click a few to help XS out. But the talking ads must die. That is way over the top. I am constantly bombarded by a stupid "Congratulations!..You won...blah, blah blah" every time I go to a sub forum or even refresh the a damn page. Really poor taste XS, really poor taste.......
    Core i7 3770K
    EVGA GTX780 + Surround
    EVGA GTX670
    EVGA Z77 FTW
    8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3
    Ultra X3 1000w PSU PSU
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Thermaltake Xaser VI

Xtreme Member
    I was looking for this thread because I knew it had to exist.....Audio ads have got to go!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Agreed I was kind of confused what people were talking about till I remembered I had noscript and adblock on lol
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme XIP

Thumbs down

Now every time i login for my daily doses of XS i get Bombarded by Screaming Ads whats going on , really really bad , please make them go away , i can tolerate any other add BUT the screaming ones have to go , i will click on any PC related add . This is so Sad :/

Attack Dachshund
    the delays got really bad tonight, especially with: rotator.adjuggler.com & media.fastclick.net

so I went ahead and re-enabled 'no script' in FF for XS and all my problems went away...

word to the wise: no script (enable it for this site only on these entries) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

and never see another annoying ad generated delay or ad again.

adjuggler is the offender of all the annoying ads. netfirm is the ad at the bottom of the forum , and is not bad at all.
    Last edited by MikeB12; 11-02-2009 at 08:16 PM.

It is
    What ads ??

Noscript has been invented for a reason
    ~Opinion about Dogs~~~~~~~Hug~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks Mike, great option to have.

I was going nuts waiting for pages to appear.

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for the suggestion and tips on NoScript. That and AdBlocker plus did the trick. I suggest doing the same if you want to bypass it as much as possible.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast