Thread: Hot Q6700 under TRUE

Xtreme Cruncher

Hot Q6700 under TRUE

Hey guys.

Just stuck a Q6700 in my system for gaming benefits (E5200 was a bottlneck)

Load temps hit around 70c Priming after an hour, should I be concerned?

Im at 1.375v.

I have one single Enermax fan on there, 70CFM @ 18dB.

Stock Crappy Akasa paste.

__________________________________________________ ___________

If I'm going to have to sort this out:

I'm gonna pick up some AS5 / shin etsu, some good dual fans.

What would you guys recommend for a TRUE?

I've heard one guy say go for the highest CFM fans you can. Another saying something about static pressure and the dimensions between the heatsink wafers. I know a lot of people use Noctua's on TRUE's...

I've been eyeing up the Scythe Kaze Jyuni 1900RPM's on ChilledPC.

110CFM @ 37dB. Not cocerned about noise.

What fans are recommended?

I'm also looking to pick up a lapping kit from ChilledPC, Will lap the true first, then the cpu after if it needs it.

Recomendations?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What is your ambient temp? My Q9550 hits 65c under 1.32v with an ambient of 23c...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sorry forgot to add that.

Ambient right now is 22.7c, usually between 19 & 22c.

Right now, idling the chips at..

35,35,42,43, does the differnence in temperature between the cores mean anything?

I haven't had any 'heat issues' with any other chip, so I know my true's pretty good, is this just the fact that it draws a lot of power, 105W TDP, or that i've got a bad/ concave/ whatever ihs?

I haven't actually tested it yet with a razorblade.. But Gaming wise im pretty much at 60. & 61 is Intel's thermal specification apparently.

Xtreme Mentor
    temps are fine lap + pressure mod for good gains your true not making good contact as it should
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Cruncher
    Okay, cheers. While I'll do that I've got to pick up some new fans anyway cos I only have one now! The other broke lol. + Thermal goo.

Could someone reccomend fans?

Got a link to the pressure mod? I've been contemplating doing that for a while, right now I can twist the heatsink round whilst its 'clamped' down

Xtreme Addict
    FYI my QX9650 on a TRUE with a Cooler Master R4/Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000rpm push pull hit 86-85-75-72 at full load but this is at 1.46V. I think your temps are okay, just get a nice set of fans and a good thermal paste. You obviously have the right choice with the Shin Etsu there, however you might consider the Indigo Xtreme as it's the best thermal solution out there. As for fans if noise ain't a big deal to you then you might as well end up with the Delta, San Ace fans, other choice would be 2 Ultra Kaze 3000rpm fans. For best noise/performance: Enermax Magma, Scythe Gentle Typhoon, S-Flex or the CM R4 like me

CPU: Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67 Case: Corsair 700D w/ 800D window
    CPU Cooler:
    Corsair H70 w/ 2 GTs AP-15 GPU: 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI
    RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws PSU: Corsair AX850W Sound card: Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9
    HDD:
    Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Display: 3x30" Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC
    Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Headphone: Sennheiser HD650

Xtreme Member
    I think your true has a uneven base, or is not correctly setted. Temp difference of 8° C. between cores seems a little high to me, also your delta T° from idle to load seems a little high.
    I've got a q6700 with 1.45 v. inside a CM Cosmos 1000 (VERY bad airflow). With T amb of 25-26° C, my idle temps are 43-46° C. reaching 68° C while priming, so i think your temps must be lower than mine. Without the side panel temps drops by 5-7° C.
    Ah, i've lapped my true and i've got 2 x scythe sflex 1300 rpm.
    Asus Rampage Formula / Q6700 G0 + TRUE / 4 x OCZ 9200 FleXLC / BFG 8800 Ultra OC / X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Enermax Galaxy 1000 DXX / CM Stacker / Dell 2707 / Logitech G15 + G9 + Z5500