Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TRIM and SSD Optimizer for Intel SSD drives

Xtreme Cruncher

TRIM and SSD Optimizer for Intel SSD drives

Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox with Intel® SSD Optimizer Enables Users to Maximize SSD Performance over Time

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Oct. 26, 2009 – On the heels of the Microsoft* Windows* 7 introduction, Intel Corporation today announced the availability of the Intel® Solid-State Drive (SSD) Toolbox, with Intel® SSD Optimizer and firmware update, for its 34nm Intel® X25-M Mainstream SATA SSDs. The latest tools are designed to help better manage and retain the out-of-box performance of Intel SSDs.

An SSD is built to replace a traditional hard disk drive (HDD) with added performance, lower power consumption and higher reliability. The Intel SSD Toolbox allows users to more effectively monitor and manage the SSD’s health. The firmware upgrade and Intel SSD Optimizer use the Windows* 7 ATA Data Set Management Command (known as Trim) to help keep the Intel SSD running at continued high performance. In addition, the SSD Toolbox and Optimizer also allow the respective enhancements to work with Windows* XP and Vista* operating systems.

“Fast and reliable access to data is critical for our SSD users,” said Pete Hazen, director of marketing, Intel NAND Solutions Group. “The latest firmware and toolbox upgrade for Intel 34nm SSD users provide a host of new management, information and diagnostic tools to help SSDs retain out-of-box performance. We are encouraging our 34nm customers to download the new firmware update today. Not only will Windows 7 users receive the performance enhancements of the Trim command, but so will our Windows XP and Vista users.”

For 34nm X25-M 160GB owners, the firmware update also offers a performance boost to sequential write speeds by delivering up to 100MB per second, a 40 percent performance improvement over the existing firmware version.

The Trim attribute of the ATA Data Set Management Command, often referred to as Trim, synchs the operating system’s view of deleted files with those that are deleted, but not erased on the drive. Trim tells the SSD which data blocks are no longer in use. This helps stabilize the performance and health of the SSD over time.

The Intel SSD Toolbox provides SSD management tools and information about the drive, including comparing Self-Monitoring and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) drive attributes to manufacturer threshold. It provides basic and full diagnostics, along with recommended actions. The Toolbox also features an easy-to-use graphical user interface that will allow end users to schedule and run the Trim command independent of the operating system. The company recommends users install the firmware update and toolbox, and run the Trim function daily to ensure best performance. The firmware upgrade can be found at www.intel.com/go/ssdfirmware and the Intel SSD Toolbox and Optimizer at www.intel.com/go/ssdtoolbox.

Intel’s award-winning X25-M SSD began shipping on 34nm in July. The multi-level cell (MLC) Intel® X25-M Mainstream SATA SSD is aimed at laptop and desktop PCs, and available in 80 Gigabyte (GB) and 160GB versions. SSDs are data storage devices found inside computers. Because SSDs have no moving parts they offer faster performance and greater energy efficiency and durability than traditional HDDs. A draw for gamers, media creators and technology enthusiasts, SSDs have also played a key role in the emergence of ultra-thin and light notebook PCs that are becoming increasingly popular due to their design, size and longer battery life. For more information on Intel SSDs visit www.intel.com/go/ssd.

Nice.
    Gonna flash soon my self.
    Last edited by BulldogPO; 10-26-2009 at 09:00 AM.

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

Xtreme Member
    Nice, keep us posted on how things go with it. I need to see if these firmwares work before taking the plunge sometime
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel Core i7 980X @ 4ghz
    EVGA 590 GTX x2 Quad SLI
    Corsair Dominator DDR3 12GB PC3-12800C8
    Western Digital 150 GB Velociraptor
    Corsair AX1200
    Asus Xonar Xense
    Custom Watercooling
    Lian Li Pc-P80 Armoursuit

I am Xtreme
    I wish TRIM was automated when system was idle. But this is great nonetheless.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Can you update the firmware without formatting?

Xtreme Addict
    Kingston in Raid 0 is the sweet spot for budget users looking for speed.

All systems sold. Will be back after Sandy Bridge!

Xtreme Cruncher
    SSD Toolbox and firmware flasher does not work when drives are in RAID

Is there any way to flash drives without loosing data?
    Last edited by BulldogPO; 10-26-2009 at 10:00 AM.

BulldogPO @ Twitter

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogPO View Post
    SSD Toolbox and firmware flasher does not work when drives are in RAID
    Gah. I wonder what's the deal with raid and trim... Still limited by the raid controllers?
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    If they are in RAID then you don't need to install TRIM because there are no controllers available today that can pass the TRIM command.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yep, but I remember those rumors that said upcoming firmware will be able to push that TRIM trough RAID setup.

Now we need someone to hack this new firmware and bypass writing speedlimit on 80GB drive
    Last edited by BulldogPO; 10-26-2009 at 10:09 AM.

BulldogPO @ Twitter

Xtreme Addict
    Well apparently this shouldn't erase your data, but, intel does recommend backing up everything important in case the firmware update fails and you do lose it.
    Last edited by Bojamijams; 10-26-2009 at 10:18 AM.
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x Sapphire 6950 Toxic 2gb @ 6970 Switch @ 880 / 1350 | Asus VG248QE |

Audio: ODAC+O2 => JH|13 Pro | STX => ATH-AD700X / Audioengine A5

Banned
    I wish us RAID users would get some love from manufacturers and give us TRIM support...

Crosses fingers

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yep, how hard it might be to implement....

BulldogPO @ Twitter

Administrator
    I take it TRIM will not work with older MTRON PRO's

I wil have to write a email to MTRON and ask.

Xtreme Addict
    MTRON uses entirely different controller and firmware...
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Enthusiast
    BulldogPO - Thanks very much for taking the time to post this information, its greatly appreciated! I just finished burning the firmware updater ISO and I'm going to flash the drive as soon as I post this message (I'll post back soon with results, as long as it doesn't corrupt my drive data)!
    Asus Maximus III Formula (2001)
    Intel i7 860 (L924B516)
    Noctua D14
    Corsairs CMG4GX3M2A2000C2 (2 x 2GB) RAM
    eVGA GTX480
    DD-H20
    BIX GTX360
    MCP35X PWM
    Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-e
    LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray
    Toughpower 850w Modular
    GSkill Phoenix Pro SSD 120GB

HEAT

Xtreme Cruncher
    Is it possible to to flash the drives before making the raid ? Will it make Any difference?
    Intel i7 2600k, Asus p8p67 EVO, Thermalright Archon, G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB, Asus EAH6970 DCII, Corsair AX850W, Asus xonar essence ST, Coolermaster HAF 932,
    Crucial C300 128GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB, Samsung F3 1TB.

The world needs your support.
    Join The XS WCG team and help cure Cancer, AIDS, and other diseases.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRock View Post
    Is it possible to to flash the drives before making the raid ? Will it make Any difference?
    The utility won't work I believe. But the firmware itself might have some performance improvements there, who knows!
    Donate to XS forums

The PhotoCHOPer
    Drive flashed and Tool kit working in Vista 64bit. No data lose.
    Silver Bullet VII

Corsair 750D | Corsair AX 850W | Core i7 2600K | Thermalright Venomous X | Asus Maximus IV Extreme B3
    eVGA GTX680 SLI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB | Intel 530 240GB | 2 x WD RED 3TB in RAID 1 | LG BluRay | 3 x 2413WFP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Same here, everything went very smoothly with no issues (W7 Build 7100 64-Bit & Intel X25-M G2 80GB)! I feel even better about my SSD purchase now that its working as advertised! I'm sure most know this already but if your running your SSD in AHCI mode make sure you change it to "Compatible IDE" before booting into the Intel Flash Utility, then just change back to AHCI after the flash is done before booting back into Windows.
    Asus Maximus III Formula (2001)
    Intel i7 860 (L924B516)
    Noctua D14
    Corsairs CMG4GX3M2A2000C2 (2 x 2GB) RAM
    eVGA GTX480
    DD-H20
    BIX GTX360
    MCP35X PWM
    Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-e
    LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray
    Toughpower 850w Modular
    GSkill Phoenix Pro SSD 120GB

HEAT

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogPO View Post
    Yep, how hard it might be to implement....
    Very hard, impossible maybe. Its the Raid Controller manufactures who need to get it working through a firmware update (fat chance though, aside from big names like Adaptec you may be looking at needing a new controller, when was the last time you saw a Intel or LSI onboard raid controller firmware update?)

Right now the raid controller takes the drives and creates a virtual drive with a hardware id that is tied to the raid controller, not the drives attached. Trim commands are sent from the OS to that virtual drive (the raid controller) and the raid controller ignores them.

OCZ has a temp solution in their newest Vertex firmware that has a sort of auto TRIM built into the firmware that runs when the hard drive isn't under load, but its not the ideal solution.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Addict
    On my classified, my SSD is my boot drive and I'm running a Raid 1 as well with two HDDs. My Sata mode is thus set to raid but I have the AHCI option ( as well as IDE) ...

However I have no idea what mode my SSD is actually in.. does on matter over the other and if so, how do you check?
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Xtreme Cruncher
    So if I understand this correctly, TRIM only works autmatically from the moment on that you install the firmware (assuming that you are running Win7 or else it can only be done manually). But the garbage already on the SSD is not deleted, that only happens when you actually delete a file or format the SSD?

So you have to use the manual TRIM command from the toolbox once to get the new state performance back. That, or a complete format.

Couldn't Intel just apply the toolbox functionality to their new Rapid Storage driverset / utility? Why release yet another toolset in concurrence. And why would they recommend us scheduling the TRIM via toolbox on daily basis? Doesn't Win7 do good enough job supporting trim natively?

Or is this just for the meantime, before intel actually gets a TRIM supporting windows driver out of the door?

Xtreme Addict
    TRIM support only works natively IF you have Win7 and IF you're running in AHCI mode... anything else, you'll have to run the optimizer .. daily it seems.

also to anyoen reading this and thinking of updating... DO NOT!!!!! LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER FIRMWARE WHICH MAY VERY WELL BRICK YOUR SSD!!!

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1463671

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast