Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push out, Push in or mix the push

Xtreme Enthusiast

Push out, Push in or mix the push

Greetings,

Ok I'm in a dilemma here really, I can't figure out the best fan orientation that suits my case the best.

1- Should I push out air from inside the case to outside like this :

My case temp is usually between 30 and 32 when room temp is 24.

I won't be having a heat pocket but cooling is not at it's best in the RADs.

2- Should I push in the cold Air to the case like this :

Probably the best cooling from RAds, but in my case as I won't have any fans taking the hot air out the case it will cause a hot air pocket.

3- SHould I mix the pushing like this :

Not sure about that really.

Please advice as I can't figure it out.
    Also note that my case has a 200mm fan on the left side panel to blow air all over the motherboard and one 120mm fan behind the motherboard try underneath the CPU that pulls air out.

Xtreme Guru
    I would go option 1. All other options will draw in hot air and it seems you will have plenty of intake with the 200 mm and the 140mm fans.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Mentor
    number 2 could would if you turn around the 140 + 120 in the front!! pretty damn well too as psu and gfx sort their self out really, get best of both worlds
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    number 2 could would if you turn around the 140 + 120 in the front!! pretty damn well too as psu and gfx sort their self out really, get best of both worlds
    then you are sucking hot air from your psu back into your case.

What kind of case do you have? With this info ppl might be able to help you better
    e8500 c0 - 4275MHz - 1,344 vCore
    DFI UT P45-T2RS
    4x1gb D9GMH
    Ati HD4870
    Modded HAF 932

Watercooled:
    Heatkiller v3.0 cu - D-tek Fuzion GFX 2 - PA120.1 - PA120.2 - PA120.4

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I own a TT spedo Advance

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    It's best to have cool air going over rads. Unless of course, you like unnecessary warmer water temps.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmm, so do you think reinstalling the HDs next to the PSU and remount that 140mm to push out hot hair and use option 2 should be the best way ?

And what about that 200mm fan on the side panel ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The more I think of it, I find option 1 more sensible than option 2 !

I have a reasonably good air flow in the case with the 200mm fan and the 140mm + 120mm combo!

Technician
    Go with your first option except reverse (have air sucked into the case through) the top mcr220.

What's in your water cooling loop? I take it this is a single loop and not 2 separate loops? Could really do with a bit more detail .

I'd go with sucking cool air in from the outside, and using the case fans for exhaust. If that's not possible, then you can always try your rad fans both ways. If you get acceptable temps in your preferred configuration, than that's what counts.

Xtreme Member
    I'd go option two, but i'd reverse the flow on the rear dual rad... yes, to an extent you'll be blowing warm air coming off the triple rad through it, but you'll also be getting a fresh chunk of cool air from the front...

the way you have it setup now, you'll have way too much air going into the case and not enough going out, rather have flow coming in from top/front and out the back... I've got a similar setup as you except with a single rad at the rear instead of a dual and in my initial test, blowing air out the back is best...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm going to cool the CPU only, later on might upgrade the case and use an MCR320 for the CPU and use one MCR220 to cool a future water cooled graphics card !

But now, is the 140mm enough to push hot air out of the case ?
    I don't want to flip the 200mm because it might affect the airflow close to the 2x 4870x2 graphics cards!

Xtreme Member
    having that many rads for just your cpu is complete overkill...

leave the rear fans blowing out and the front fans blowing in... ie default config...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldon View Post
    I'd go option two, but i'd reverse the flow on the rear dual rad... yes, to an extent you'll be blowing warm air coming off the triple rad through it, but you'll also be getting a fresh chunk of cool air from the front...

the way you have it setup now, you'll have way too much air going into the case and not enough going out, rather have flow coming in from top/front and out the back... I've got a similar setup as you except with a single rad at the rear instead of a dual and in my initial test, blowing air out the back is best...
    Hmm what your saying applies to option 3 but the top 220 rad will be pushing air from outside and the back 220 will be pushing air from inside !!

Xtreme Member
    yeh exactly...

Like I said I've got a very similar setup in my system and it works quite well...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    having that many rads for just your cpu is complete overkill...

leave the rear fans blowing out and the front fans blowing in... ie default config...
    Nothing is an over kill, I won't say I'm xtreme, but this is Xtreme systems forums

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the way you have it setup now, you'll have way too much air going into the case and not enough going out...

So, if there's "too much air going into the case and not enough going out," as you put it, what's keeping his case intact instead of blowing off the case side?

The answer is no matter how many fans you have blowing in vs. exhausting, the air going in and out will match exactly. Otherwise, the case would need to expand, which it won't....it isn't a balloon. Instead, the air will find ways to exhaust, like from every nook and seam that exists. You cannot pressurize a case with typical case fans.....the fans aren't strong enough with enough static pressure and the case isn't air tight.

So it's pretty irrelevant that he has more intake fans vs. exhaust fans.

I've got three 120's on my case top pulling through a 120.3 rad, two 120's pulling through a 120.2 rad in the case bottom, and a 120 intake in the case front with a 120 on the side panel and a 120 in the rear as exhausts, and my temps are all perfect......i7 920 @ 4GHz @ 1.27V which idles in low 30's, loads in mid-to-upper 50's, video card on load in 50's (4870 on stock air cooler), mb temps in 30's and NB temps rarely over 54C.

I'd pull fresh air over both rads.....the air will exhaust.

Xtreme Member
    I'd go with option two. You want your radiators to have access to the coldest air possible. Components on your motherboard don't need the coldest air possible. They're more than happy to run at high temperatures 24/7.

The air isn't going to get trapped in your case either, it'll go out through all the spaces and extra holes in your case.

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post
    I'd go with option two. You want your radiators to have access to the coldest air possible. Components on your motherboard don't need the coldest air possible. They're more than happy to run at high temperatures 24/7.

The air isn't going to get trapped in your case either, it'll go out through all the spaces and extra holes in your case.

GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    so most people agree on Option 2 !

Option 2, with the side panel 200mm set to exhaust.

Xtreme Member
    The 240 at the top should be pushing in and the 240 at the back should be pushing out otherwise its way to much intake or exahust and thus unbalenced.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by T.Goat View Post
    Option 2, with the side panel 200mm set to exhaust.
    I was thinking the same not 5 min. ago, but I think this might affect the 2 graphics cards.

As soon as I install the system, I'll test the temps with the side panel fan flipped and not flipped.

Option 2, with the side panel 200mm set to exhaust and "push in" fans at rads. Make sure the rads blow at MB and not over it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    To improve things on the motherboard, I've added a small fan over the NB that dropped the temps by 10 degrees C. And will mount that small Asus fan that comes with the R2E too.

the 2 fans ( 140mm and the 120mm ) should add some cooler air inside the case to lower temps for other components, I'll also mount a 120mm fan behind the CPU to push air out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast