Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.1/7.1 Amp Seperate

Xtreme Addict
    Bidding ended on it already, did you manage to buy it?
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Member
    That pre/pro is a nice pick up. I'd love to have something like that, but would be in the same situation, no cash for amps.

I'd also like to know if you bought the adcom and what speakers is it going to be pushing.

Xtreme Mentor
    I appreciate all the help folks!

No, I didn't get the Adcom...

It sucks being broke, but I'm really focusing on getting my house thing done right now so my budget is kinda limited. I took a chance today and spent $90
    on a case and PSU so I could put together a Rig (from spare parts) to sell on Craigslist. Not a bad deal, and it should give me a little more leverage...

I spent $90, but I have decent rig for sale for $250...
    Cooler Master Elite 335 Case (new)
    Thermaltake 430w PSU (new)
    Phenom 9850 X4
    4Gb G.Skill DDR2 1000
    250 Gb Samsung HD drive
    Pioneer DVD writer
    ATI 3450 Video Card
    Windows XP 64 Pro intalled

I might already have it sold, one of my friends seems really interested, if not I'll post it on Craigslist...

TMI, I know, but I just tought I would let you all know what I was up to.

If I can sell that rig, I'm looking at this Amp for now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I really want a legit Amp for this head... guess I'll just have to be patient...
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveburt714 View Post
    I appreciate all the help folks!

No, I didn't get the Adcom...

It sucks being broke, but I'm really focusing on getting my house thing done right now so my budget is kinda limited. I took a chance today and spent $90
    on a case and PSU so I could put together a Rig (from spare parts) to sell on Craigslist. Not a bad deal, and it should give me a little more leverage...

I spent $90, but I have decent rig for sale for $250...
    Cooler Master Elite 335 Case (new)
    Thermaltake 430w PSU (new)
    Phenom 9850 X4
    4Gb G.Skill DDR2 1000
    250 Gb Samsung HD drive
    Pioneer DVD writer
    ATI 3450 Video Card
    Windows XP 64 Pro intalled

I might already have it sold, one of my friends seems really interested, if not I'll post it on Craigslist...

TMI, I know, but I just tought I would let you all know what I was up to.

If I can sell that rig, I'm looking at this Amp for now:

I really want a legit Amp for this head... guess I'll just have to be patient...
    I've not heard that model but I'd not heard anything from Carver I didn't like!

Good things come to those who wait but on the same note, steady long you steady wrong (Steady not study in the south LOL!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Mentor
    For anyone still interested...

That $90 I spent to put together a machine from used parts actually turned out to be a good investment!
    My friend fell through on the purchase so I put it on Craigslist at $300 (fully expecting to have to lower the price)...
    Well, I didn't, a guy came and picked it up today for $300 and was quite happy with it.

So now I have the cash to buy a decent used Amp. WooHoo!

I found this one locally on Ebay, but the sale doesn't end until Monday night.
    I PM'd the guy and he said I could pick it up and save shipping which will hopefully give me enough leverage to win the bid.
    I'm seriously leaning toward the Rotel above, hope I can get it for <=$300.

The other one, which I could buy right now (and knowing my luck will be gone right after I lose the Rotel bid) is the reposted Carver that Donnie27 linked earlier.
    If I lose the Rotel bid, I'll just go ahead and buy the Carver if it's still there...

Anyway, this wasn't a pointless post. I have a legit question!

How important is "THX Certification"?
    Is this really something to pay attention too, or just marketing fluff?

The main reason I'm asking is that the Rotel is THX certified, and the Carver isn't...

Thanx folks, not trying to be a pest!
    Dave
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

Xtreme Addict
    THX Certification doesnt mean anything really. It is just a spec that means it meets certain requirements, which can be met without being THX certified. Also there are a LOT of different levels of THX so just a certification doesnt mean anything unless you know exactly which level it qualifies for.

I think the majority of nice aftermarket amps go above and beyond all basic THX certifications whether they sent the unit in for its THX stuff or not.

BTW I like that rotal, even though it doesnt have balanced inputs. But no need to start that argument up again. It will still be leaps and bounds better than your Sony crap.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz

Xtreme Mentor
    Ebay idiots went to $351+ on that Rotel...
    I really tried, especailly since it was local, but that was just too rich for my blood.

Oh well, guess I'll keep trying...
    Maybe I'm steadying too long.

I am Xtreme
    Ebay idiots went to $351+ on that Rotel...
    I really tried, especailly since it was local, but that was just too rich for my blood.

Oh well, guess I'll keep trying...
    Maybe I'm steadying too long.
    That's why I stay away from the bidding kiddies. In some cases I saw people take bidding personal and bid more than an Item's new price. I strictly buy via "Buy Only" now.

EniGmA1987 is absolutely right about the THX Certification. Most of my buds and I see the THX cert as a set of Minimum Requirements. Most modern equipment easily surpasses these requirements. THX does however become important when looking at Vintage Equipment. Please also note, there are a lot of folks lurking here. Once a link shows up others might see it and buy!
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Mentor
    Well, after alot of trauma with my 1st PayPal purchase (instant my azz!)...

I seem to be the proud owner of a Caver AV-505 ($245 shipped).
    It was sent today from Colorado Springs to Cincinnati via FedEx ground, so hopefully I'll get it by Saturday.

There are a few drawbacks with the Amp, no input sense which means I'll probably have to get my butt off the couch to turn it on (Maybe I should invest in a CLAPPER (hehe)).
    And it doesn't have XLR inputs which would probably improve signal/noise between the Amp/Preamp, but most of the reviews I read rated it pretty high, so it should be a good starter amp...

I took everyones suggestions into considertion, and I thank you all for your help!!

Here are the specs (Note the >300 Damping Enigma ):

AV-505 Specs
    * One compact amplifier provides all the power needed for a high performance home theatre system
    * Total Direct Coupling for high damping factor at all frequencies
    * Each channel protected by: individual fusing, excess temperature sense, DC fault sense, power-on delay, shorted load sense.
    * Minimal signal path design, with on card I/O connectors eliminating internal interconnect cables
    * Gold Plated RCA Jack Connections
    * Individual calibrated level trim controls for each channel
    * Removable handles for 17 cabinet space (with trim caps)
    * Designed and built by Carver Corporation in Lynnwood, WA USA
    * Frequency Repsonse: 20-20kHz +0,-0.2dB
    * Power Output: FTC 20hz-20khz
    * Power Output: 8ohm 100 watts per channel two channels driven
    * Power Output: 8ohm 80 watts per channel all channels driven
    * THD: less than 0.08%
    * Dynamic Headroom: >1.1dB @ 8ohms all channels driven
    * Gain: 29.0 dB (+/- 0.5dB)
    * Input Impedance 50 kohms
    * Damping Factor: >300 typical (20hz-20 khz)

I still have a few things to work out. I can't seem to find an online "Users Manual" (not that it's a complicated device, but it would be nice to have).
    And I'm still having problems using the B&K's Preout to the Infinity Sub....
    It's really overpowering even when I lower all settings on the B&K and turn the Sub's volume really low (almost off!).
    I'm sure I can figure it out, even if it requires a hacked cable to the Subs powered inputs...

All in all, I'm pretty excited to see what the new Audio Rig sounds like!
    If I get it Saturday I might just have to make it a "Lord of the Rings" weekend, It's been awhile since I watched them anyway!

I am Xtreme
    Well, after alot of trauma with my 1st PayPal purchase (instant my azz!)...

I seem to be the proud owner of a Caver AV-505 ($245 shipped).
    It was sent today from Colorado Springs to Cincinnati via FedEx ground, so hopefully I'll get it by Saturday.

There are a few drawbacks with the Amp, no input sense which means I'll probably have to get my butt off the couch to turn it on (Maybe I should invest in a CLAPPER (hehe)).
    And it doesn't have XLR inputs which would probably improve signal/noise between the Amp/Preamp, but most of the reviews I read rated it pretty high, so it should be a good starter amp...

I took everyones suggestions into considertion, and I thank you all for your help!!

Here are the specs (Note the >300 Damping Enigma ):

AV-505 Specs
    * One compact amplifier provides all the power needed for a high performance home theatre system
    * Total Direct Coupling for high damping factor at all frequencies
    * Each channel protected by: individual fusing, excess temperature sense, DC fault sense, power-on delay, shorted load sense.
    * Minimal signal path design, with on card I/O connectors eliminating internal interconnect cables
    * Gold Plated RCA Jack Connections
    * Individual calibrated level trim controls for each channel
    * Removable handles for 17 cabinet space (with trim caps)
    * Designed and built by Carver Corporation in Lynnwood, WA USA
    * Frequency Repsonse: 20-20kHz +0,-0.2dB
    * Power Output: FTC 20hz-20khz
    * Power Output: 8ohm 100 watts per channel two channels driven
    * Power Output: 8ohm 80 watts per channel all channels driven
    * THD: less than 0.08%
    * Dynamic Headroom: >1.1dB @ 8ohms all channels driven
    * Gain: 29.0 dB (+/- 0.5dB)
    * Input Impedance 50 kohms
    * Damping Factor: >300 typical (20hz-20 khz)

I still have a few things to work out. I can't seem to find an online "Users Manual" (not that it's a complicated device, but it would be nice to have).
    And I'm still having problems using the B&K's Preout to the Infinity Sub....
    It's really overpowering even when I lower all settings on the B&K and turn the Sub's volume really low (almost off!).
    I'm sure I can figure it out, even if it requires a hacked cable to the Subs powered inputs...

All in all, I'm pretty excited to see what the new Audio Rig sounds like!
    If I get it Saturday I might just have to make it a "Lord of the Rings" weekend, It's been awhile since I watched them anyway!
    WOW! Nice going Dave!!!!!!

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Mentor
    Well, I got the Carver and hooked it up today!

I was really shocked at how bright it was compared to the Sony (not a bad thing), the more I listen to it the more natural it sounds...

I tuned the B&K and mellowed out the sound quite a bit, but I have a question for all you Audio Gurus.
    It has to do with "Speaker Size" on the preamp...

I've read the B&K Manual and learned that Speaker Size has more to do with Fequency Range than it does with physical size...

My mains (Infinty SM-112's) have a FR of 32Hz-27Khz, while my center/surrounds (Infiity TSS-750's) have a FR of 135Hz-20Khz

The B&K has a Sub crossover option called "Ultra" which splits the low frequency signals between the mains and the Sub.
    I haven't selcted it yet because I don't want to hurt my mains, but I'm thinking it should be OK since they are rated all the way down to 32Hz...

I know it's something I'll have to play with (being careful with volume), and a matter of personal preference, but I don't want to trash my mains!

I currently have the mains set as Large and the TSS-750's set as Small (hell, I might even be able to set the 750's as Large 135Hz is pretty low)..

Is anyone willing to offer any comments on these settings? I won't hold you personally responsible or anything...

BTW: I figured out why my Sub was so overpowering!
    When I had it hooked up to the Sony I had the B&K cranked all the way to +120db and used the Sony's volume for all the other speakers (doah!)...
    With the Carver -20db is too frikken loud, no wonder the Sub was thumping @ +120!
    See, I already made one noob mistake...

And I was worried about wether 80wpc would be enough...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    As long as your surrounds are not bottoming out, muddy sounding or distorting leave them on large, you will be missing things out of them otherwise.

Xtreme Addict
    The "large" and "small" setting does indeed have to do with frequency response and not actual size. When set to small it makes all frequencies under a certain number not go to those speakers, whereas large setting makes all frequencies down to the crossover go to those speakers. All "good" speakers can handle the large setting just fine even if they are surrounds or the center. It is just the crappy home theater in a box or walmart brand speakers that you would have trouble with. So you should probably leave your speakers set to the large setting. The only speaker I would consider leaving as "small" is the center, because that is for dialog reproduction and shouldnt have big booming sounds in it anyway. So if the receiver filters out everything below 200Hz or so from going to that, then the center speaker can more easily reproduce the dialog frquencies, and the dialog might sound a little less muddy. I realise all the audiophiles on the internet would kill me for saying that, but for your setup I think it would probably sound better with the frequency filter on the center.

As for the Ultra, I personally use that in my home theater. Mine is called "plus" though, but it does the same thing. It makes all the frequencies below the crossover point not only go to the sub(s), but also to any speakers set to large. Your surrounds wont be able to reproduce those frequencies anyway so you wont hear the really low stuff back there. And I dont think itwould be damaging to send those frequencies back there either. The speaker may try to reproduce those frequencies, but it wont be able to do it. And unless pushed really hard, it should blow out those speakers or damage them in any way. Setting it to ultra would give you more rumble in your system since the front left and rights would be helping the sub out. But maybe you dont want lots of rumble, so in that case you shouldnt use the ultra setting.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz

I am Xtreme
    Well, I got the Carver and hooked it up today!

I was really shocked at how bright it was compared to the Sony (not a bad thing), the more I listen to it the more natural it sounds...

I tuned the B&K and mellowed out the sound quite a bit, but I have a question for all you Audio Gurus.
    It has to do with "Speaker Size" on the preamp...

I haven't selcted it yet because I don't want to hurt my mains, but I'm thinking it should be OK since they are rated all the way down to 32Hz...

BTW: I figured out why my Sub was so overpowering!
    When I had it hooked up to the Sony I had the B&K cranked all the way to +120db and used the Sony's volume for all the other speakers (doah!)...
    With the Carver -20db is too frikken loud, no wonder the Sub was thumping @ +120!
    See, I already made one noob mistake...

And I was worried about wether 80wpc would be enough...
    Last things first, good companies don't use cheap tricks to over market their products. How they cheat might be a good Subject for another thread.

I don't know how I missed this one! EniGmA1987 gets an absolutely QFT! Many will buy Large speakers that are meant for MTM duties. MTM = Midrange, Tweeter/s, and Midrange. They then turn them on and think, man these speakers suck! We had a thread here where one guy even tried to argue that Logitech's 5500 satellites were Full Range LOL! NOTE! While picking even small hide-away speakers, make sure they can reach down to at least 80Hz THX recommends! I find 60Hz is even better on MY SYSTEM! This might suck for others. Now many folks can't tell where my Sub is placed

My mains rate to 28Hz because I removed one 18Hz to 1000Hz Sub and replaced it with two Woofers (Note, sub and woofer are close/similar but NOT the same) two good 10's have the same affect one 15" Woofer, NOT sub-woofer but more accurate in *most cases. They're rated from 28Hz to 3500Hz. I bring this up because my HTPC and receiver are matched go no lower than 60Hz and THX recommends at least 80Hz again. But stealing bass meant for the Sub can mess things up surround sound wise.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    We had a thread here where one guy even tried to argue that Logitech's 5500 satellites were Full Range LOL!
    Hahahaha! I used to own these for my computer, pretty good speakers for the price, but how can he think the satellites are full range....DOI. Small speakers just don't do music justice these days.

Right now I'm running an Onkyo TX-NR906, 2x Krix Neurophonix front, Epicentrix center, 2x pheonix rears, seismix 5 sub Pioneer blu-ray and a Samsung LED 46", never had a better system

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by individual View Post
    Hahahaha! I used to own these for my computer, pretty good speakers for the price, but how can he think the satellites are full range....DOI. Small speakers just don't do music justice these days.

Right now I'm running an Onkyo TX-NR906, 2x Krix Neurophonix front, Epicentrix center, 2x pheonix rears, seismix 5 sub Pioneer blu-ray and a Samsung LED 46", never had a better system
    Yet, I love mine more than many systems costing 10 times as much. I tried 20 combination of speakers, and at least 10 receivers. That includes Harman Kardon, Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo, still stuck with the Pioneer 819H (yes loved everything about them except prices). My speakers are very efficient and need a low amount wattage perform. They shake that side of the house, not just the room. I don't do that much because I love my hearing because I love Music.

When I redid and tested them in the Garage, a neighbor thought we we're getting ready to have a block party, he lives two city blocks away, I'm in the Burbs. Not only loud, they sound good enough that two friends built similar speakers with even better drivers. The funny part is they are well off enough to buy just about anything One guy even bid on Ebay to get a set of Mach Ones Last year.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12