Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [Review] Round 2: Swiftech Apogee XT Tested

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    I don't know why you guys are laughing at me because it's a serious situation. Last thing I need is my wife complaining about another item......You don't do the dishes.......You don't do the laundry........You spend too much money on computer parts.......Your Penis is too big! Oh who am I kidding......I do the dishes sometimes!

Just remember....Using a RD-30 will give you a Rhino penis large enough to break a table!

Okay seriously now....really! Ummmmm Apogee XT. Can't wait to play with that! Is it wrong to think sexual feelings about waterblocks?
    The story of my life, My wife thinks the computer is my
    mistress!

have the swiftech XT already launch the AM2+ bracket yet?

nice bro... but can i apply the silicone to my GTZ wb then to get a 1 degree celcius?

Admin
    Do not do the silicone mod to the GTZ! Doing so kills performance.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    Is it wrong to have sexual feelings about waterblocks?
    Just as long as your wife or G/F doesn't find out.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Vapor:
    I have a question about your graphs. On the 2 graphs, the vertical axis is labeled as "...adjusted for 25C Water Temp".
    What does this adjustment mean? Would you please explain?
    Thank you.

Admin
    I'm just taking the water temperature (at the inlet of the waterblock) to core temperature delta and adding 25C.

25C is an arbitrary choice....I realize most here probably have water temps at closer to 30C, but now that I've been using 25C, I see no reason to not continue to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    I'm just taking the water temperature (at the inlet of the waterblock) to core temperature delta and adding 25C.

25C is an arbitrary choice....I realize most here probably have water temps at closer to 30C, but now that I've been using 25C, I see no reason to not continue to use it.
    I am still not getting it.
    I suppose you get the water temperature from a sensor placed at the inlet of the waterblock and get, say, 25C.
    And, you get the core temperature 60C from, say, a software like Core Temp or Real Temp.
    Then, the water temperature to core temperature delta is 60-25=45C.
    And then you add back 25C to this 45C to get 60C?
    Somehow this does not make sense to me.
    I know I am sounding stupid but I am a WC newbie and so please pardon me.

Would you please explain the logic in a little more detail?

I have also gone to your skinnee labs website and read the whole report and notice that on some graphs the vertical axis is labelled as "....adjusted for 22C Air Temperature". Would you also please comment on this as well?

TIA for your patience with a newbie.

Has anyone else had trouble getting all four back-plate posts to go through the motherboard holes? I had to sand mine down for quite a while to get them to fit through. It is literally impossible if you don't get all four to push through at the same time, but the adhesive foam makes that hit or miss. Other than having to spend way too much time getting the back-plate situated, I LOVE this block. Unbelievable improvement over my old D-tek Fuzion. Getting lower temps from my 4ghz i7 on the XT than my 3.6ghz Q6600 on the D-tek Fuzion.
    Antec 1200 - Corsair HX1000
    EVGA 3x SLI 758///Core i7 920 D0 4ghz
    Swiftech XT///2xMCR320///1x 220 slim rad///Laing D4
    6GB OCZ gold @ 1600mhz
    8800GTS 640 (holding off for 5970)
    WD 640GB Black RAID-0

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Awesome work as usual, thanks for all the testing perfection and hard work.

I really like that flow rate impacts methodology, that's perrrfect!..
    Last edited by Martinm210; 11-01-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I guess I better get hold of swiftech. I am seeing the opposite results.

using a swiftech MCP-655 pump, I am seeing the XT having 5-10C higher temps on a 4.5Ghz i5-2500K than my old swiftech GTZ when under full load.

both are within 1C of each other when at Idle, but I never run idle.

i have checked everything and just cannot get the temps down on my XT.

Did you try mounting it again after the first result?
    Dutch techies visit www.geekswarm.nl

Hardware: Antec P180b | Corsair HX850W | MSI P55-GD65 | Core i7 860 | 2*2GB Corsair Dominator PC12800 CL7 | Sapphire HD5870 + XFX HD5870 | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB|WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Cooling: Swiftech MCP355 + XSPC ResTop | ThermoChill Pa120.2 & TFC X-changer 120 | Swiftech Apogee XT | EK-FC5870 Acetal+Nickel | Tygon 3603 |Feser Ultra Pure + Corrosion blocker | 6*Scythe S-Flex F @ Scythe Kaze Master Ace

Bench: DimasTech Easy 2.5 | MSI-P67A-GD65 | Intel Core i7 2600K | 2*4GB Corsair Vengeance PC12800 CL8 | 2* MSI R6950 CFX

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazlov View Post
    Did you try mounting it again after the first result?
    yes. been remounted 4 times with same results.

did have troubles with the block when I first got it though. it had absolutely no water flow through it when I first got the block. I tore it apart and found that the gasket around the inlet was incorrectly installed and was not seated in the slot. after I fixed that, it had flow.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by nutcase View Post
    I guess I better get hold of swiftech. I am seeing the opposite results.

using a swiftech MCP-655 pump, I am seeing the XT having 5-10C higher temps on a 4.5Ghz i5-2500K than my old swiftech GTZ when under full load.

both are within 1C of each other when at Idle, but I never run idle.

i have checked everything and just cannot get the temps down on my XT.
    This wasn't a Sandy Bridge test

There hasn't been any CPU block testing on sandy bridge that I know of, so we really don't know what the heat signature is like in SB and it may very well behave differently.

Also FYI, 5-10C difference is likely something else. An accurate comparison of any two blocks is very unlikely to be anything more than 4C.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 01-27-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    This wasn't a Sandy Bridge test

There hasn't been any CPU block testing on sandy bridge that I know of, so we really don't know what the heat signature is like in SB and it may very well behave differently.

Also you can't compare different processors. You could have a hot 2500K, etc...too many variables.
    This block was also on an i7-860 cpu. But I did not have the new bracket to try the GTZ on it. I threw them out because of this.

just want to figure out the problem with it and it appears to be a flow problem. i would like to start using the block again as my i7-860 is just sitting in a box doing nothing. (and I hate idle computers)

5-10C is because I run Distributed computing projects. The load does not stay constant on these depending on what the app is doing.

I want to get it up and running because i love swiftech's mounting system. one if the best on the market!
    Last edited by nutcase; 01-27-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by nutcase View Post
    This block was also on an i7-860 cpu. But I did not have the new bracket to try the GTZ on it. I threw them out because of this.

just want to figure out the problem with it and it appears to be a flow problem. i would like to start using the block again as my i7-860 is just sitting in a box doing nothing. (and I hate idle computers)

5-10C is because I run Distributed computing projects. The load does not stay constant on these depending on what the app is doing.

I want to get it up and running because i love swiftech's mounting system. one if the best on the market!
    Ahh...I got ya..

I totally agree on the mounting mechanism. After using one, I almost feel like I'm taking a step back in time using loose thumbnuts and oh crap springs that go flying everywhere...

I'm still trying to decide if I'll use my old Supreme V1 vs. some newer block when I upgrade over the next month. I like the low restriction/performance of the new HF, but I really like the swiftech CPU mounting system by far.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The mounting hardware is only for the Intel Cpu's right?

I was really looking at getting the XT for my AMD project till I read the instructions for installing on AMD. Looks like ocrap springs
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234