Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Review] Round 2: Swiftech Apogee XT Tested

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamaxx View Post
    What is this silicon trick exactly?
    What dreamaxx said. I too am curious about this, the image doesn't really show
    ASUS Sabertooth P67B3· nVidia GTX580 1536MB PhysX · Intel Core i7 2600K 4.5GHz · Corsair TX850W · Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    8GB GSKill Sniper PC3-16000 7-8-7 · OCZ Agility3 SSD 240GB + Intel 320 SSD 160GB + Samsung F3 2TB + WD 640AAKS 640GB · Corsair 650D · DELL U2711 27"

Admin
    See the white stuff in the center? That's 100% silicone caulk that I added. RTV silicone would also work. Between caulk and RTV varieties, a lot of colors should be available (clear included), I chose white since it's easiest to photograph. The 100% silicone part is also important...doesn't have to be anything specific, just as long as it's silicone and not acrylic or anything junky like that.

To do the mod, just gob some on, spread with a q-tip over the entire center section, and then use the straight-edge of a q-tip to remove the excess in one sweeping motion. Then go around the edges with another q-tip and clean up the edges at the inlet and at the 'moat'

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy_EK View Post
    I would not do that.
    As far as I see the block is not worth replacing.
    The block is more restrictive and is barely better for a 0,9°C.
    It is a great block, I dont say that, but think about before doing this
    Well, while I do have an HK 3.0 on my cpu, this block is really making me think of switching and not simply because of the temps. It's more a combination of the temps, which are not drastically different as you noted, and the vastly superior mounting system on the Swiftech block. Doing remounts with the HK is so tedious and horrible, I'm really thinking of dumping it and replacing it with this XT.

That's why one should consider the XT.....and keep rejecting the stupidly designed mounts of other blocks on the market until the other manufacturers produce mounting systems as simple and elegant as Swiftech's mount.

+1 to Humminn55's comments - I've kept my GTZ going just because it is so darned easy to work with the mounting system (and temps are fine, if not the best). Great to know we now have an even better alternative with the easy-to-use mounting mechanism.

I am Xtreme
    can you explain a little more about the silicon mod, if you can get a full degree of performance, why is this mod not build into the blocks.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post

rge's tests?
    Yup that was the one. Good response too btw and thankfully I don't lap my CPU's anyway! I just don't see the point if you have a good block, excellent TIM spread and enough pressure. I am sure I can squeeze even more out of this block with a little extra pressure.

Also since you used the silicon trick and it worked just like the HK that it would mean water was escaping the same way when bolted down and the plate flexed.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    can you explain a little more about the silicon mod, if you can get a full degree of performance, why is this mod not build into the blocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    Yup that was the one. Good response too btw and thankfully I don't lap my CPU's anyway! I just don't see the point if you have a good block, excellent TIM spread and enough pressure. I am sure I can squeeze even more out of this block with a little extra pressure.

Also since you used the silicon trick and it worked just like the HK that it would mean water was escaping the same way when bolted down and the plate flexed.
    I know how the silicone mod helped the HK: it forced all the flow through the microchannels (huge since I know a lot was going OVER the channels, which is useless) and it increased the bow (probably less huge of a gain in perf).

With the XT I'm a little less sure. There's already an o-ring there that should help with both aspects (bowing and forcing flow through the pins), maybe that's why the gains are smaller with the XT. When I disassembled, there was a clear pin pattern in the silicone (with the pins basically puncturing all the way through to the metal), meaning that there's not much flow going over the pins in stock guise. Maybe it's a combination of the more aggressive bow (it's a visible change) and increasing the velocity of the fluid at the very bottom of the "forest of pins" (10% drop in overall flow with a ~25% drop in cross-section area = 15-20% higher velocities)

Xtreme Addict
    Very nice work as usual. Roughly a 3c improvement over the GTZ is quite an accomplishment.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by voigts View Post
    Very nice work as usual. Roughly a 3c improvement over the GTZ is quite an accomplishment.

And Vapor's testing almost exactly replicates the test data presented by Swiftech through their own testing. Guess this possibly will shut up all the "manufaturer data and testing can never be trusted" comments like were made or implied in the original thread about the XT by Gabe.

Xtreme Member
    Thank you for the great review Vapor.

Dumb question I was thinking about.

Given your measurements of the minimal flow reduction between the regular XT and the XT 'Alt' (the inlet plate rotated), would you expect to see the same/less/more amount of flow reduction with the inlet plate in its default installation but using a 45 elbow at the inlet instead?

Seems it would be a minuscule difference, but a 45 at the inlet may play better with my planned loop setup versus going straight in with the inlet plate rotated to clear the comp fittings..

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Humminn55 View Post
    And Vapor's testing almost exactly replicates the test data presented by Swiftech through their own testing. Guess this possibly will shut up all the "manufaturer data and testing can never be trusted" comments like were made or implied in the original thread about the XT by Gabe.
    So far there are only 2 tests been done, i am not saying vapor is cooking the numbers as he wouldn't have any benefit from doing so, right?

I would just wait for more reports from people with regular set ups, i mean 2 tests and 1 the HK wins the other the XT wins so it wouldn't be a bad idea to wait for more reports. Specially because vapor's test or rge's test config may be favoring either block.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafeifa View Post
    So far there are only 2 tests been done, i am not saying vapor is cooking the numbers as he wouldn't have any benefit from doing so, right?

I would just wait for more reports from people with regular set ups, i mean 2 tests and 1 the HK wins the other the XT wins so it wouldn't be a bad idea to wait for more reports. Specially because vapor's test or rge's test config may be favoring either block.
    I don't know if you mean to come off as insulting or not but to me it is. Between the two tests if you have read them you will see the similarities and also the problems with the hardware that gave the results they did. Both reviews are pretty spot on. On had a lapped cpu and the other did not. On used the HK LT and the other the HK CU.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    I don't know if you mean to come off as insulting or not but to me it is. Between the two tests if you have read them you will see the similarities and also the problems with the hardware that gave the results they did. Both reviews are pretty spot on. On had a lapped cpu and the other did not. On used the HK LT and the other the HK CU.
    That is why i said you can't conclusion with just 2 reports, when the hk came out a lot of people was skeptic about the results. I don't mean no harm to no one specially to someone who is putting all the hard work. I truly believe vapor is not cooking the numbers but if you do is your own problem. The difference between the CU and LT are minimal if any.

Xtreme Member
    thx for the review Vapor, nice job
    OBSIDIAN 800D, ASRock P67 Professional, Intel 2600K [UNLOCKED] watercooled by Ybris Black Sun (HWLabs Black Ice SR1-360 w/Nanoxia 2K, Swiftech MCP655 + Res XSPC), 4GB KINGSTON LoVo, SSD 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300, HDD Seagate Barracuda 250GB/500GB, Corsair HX 750w, nVidia 260 GTX XFX Black Edition, X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Xtreme Guru
    Well, considering the Swiftech mount is not really optimized for a lapped CPU, that would probably be the reason for the difference. One test, CPU was lapped, other test it wasn't.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Addict
    Is this just for Intel? I didnt see any mention for AMD?
    AMD 1090T@4.0ghz
    Enzotech sapphire/Mo-Ra extreme rad
    Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    ht 2400mhz / nb 2400mhz
    12gb Gskill 1300mhz
    HIS HD5970
    Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250
    case: XCLIO A380PLUS-BK

4.61ghz water

4.5ghz superpi 1M 15.585
    http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...rpi4500mhz.jpg
    25,396 06 Phenom 965@ 4.4ghz HIS 5970@960/1260
    21,893 Vantage, Phenom 965 4.2ghz HIS 5970 @960/1260

Phenom 2 125w 965 test results
    http://futuremark.yougamers.com/foru...d.php?t=117414
    Phenom 2 140w 965 test results
    http://futuremark.yougamers.com/foru...d.php?t=109214
    Phenom 2 AM2+ 940 cold air results
    http://futuremark.yougamers.com/foru...ad.php?t=97430

If I dont get every single drop out of my cpu I feel like someone is stealing from me

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan7171 View Post
    Is this just for Intel? I didnt see any mention for AMD?
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    The AM2/AM3 bracket is in production.It will also include mounting holes for Xeon (771) server class platforms.

ETA is 4 weeks.
    Here you go.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Guru
    Thanks again for a great work!

However one thing has got me thinking. In your results XT is more restrictive than GTZ despite Swiftech's claims that it's less restrictive with original top config, on a D5...
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity