Thread: Begging US community for help with the research

Xtreme Enthusiast

Begging US community for help with the research

Hi all

I study in university and have english courses there, so I have a task to make so-called cross-cultural research. Everybody in my group chose one country for making this research, I've chosen the United States I have a list of questions that must be covered by this research.
    If have free minute or two please answer this questions (or some of them). If you don't agree with the answers given by previous posts - just say another opinion, I need as much information as possible.

Any input is highly appreciated, thanks in advance

Questions are divided into several groups, but numeration is common for the whole list.
    Here is it:

Business relations/communications/meetings
    1. Is it necessary to mention titulus, rank or post during business communication?
    2. Is it fine to wear earrings, piercing, informal haircuts etc. for men?
    3. What you can say about handshakes and other gestures during business communications?
    4. What initiates relations between two companies? I mean what should I do if I am interested in starting relations with another company - send e-mail, make a call etc.
    5. Is it possible to talk about anything except business topics?
    6. If there is no answer to the question, what does it mean? (agreement, disagreement)
    7. What should be said before introducing yourself to somebody?
    8. Lateness and unpunctualities, is it ok or not? What if you are late becuase of traffic jams?
    9. If you know your partner's language a little, should you try to speak on it during communications?
    10. Business card, how it should be given?

Job relations
    11. Can you ask your colleague for help at work?
    12. Working hours. Is it possible to be late at work?
    13. Corporate parties, what can you say about it?
    14. Lunch, how much time is usually spent on it? Where do people usually have a lunch?

Everyday life
    15. Handshakes and other gestures during informal communications?
    16. What themes (talks) should be avoided during the meal?
    17. If you are invited to somebody's house as a guest, should you bring something (like flowers, bottle of wine etc.)?
    18. Is it possible to talk about business during the dinner?
    19. Flowers, when, how and to whom they should be given? Does any particular flower mean something or used only for any special events?
    20. If you accepted invitation to lunch (dinner or some other meal) should you send invitation too?
    21. Tips in the restaurant, is it necessary? How much?

Transport
    22. Taxi, how often it is used? Is it possible to order a taxi?
    23. Where does passenger usually sit in taxi? (front or backseat)
    24. Payment for taxi, tax counter or tips?
    25. What types of taxi exist?

Cheers
    Last edited by aka_GK; 10-20-2009 at 12:11 PM.
    Worklog: Project Black Copper
    Lian Li PC-P80 | Thermochill PA140.3 | Noiseblocker fans | mdpc-x stuff

1. Is it necessary to mention titulus, rank or post during business communication?

So far in my job, no, I haven't needed to. We all just sort of work together. Things may be different in a larger, corporate environment.

This would not be recommended. I had a friend who was told to dye his hair because it looked to blue even (it was dark enough black to have a blue tinge).

3. What you can say about handshakes and other gestures during business communications?

When a visitor is present, we generally start and end with a handshake and the boilerplate "Nice to meet you/nice to have met with you" (first if that's the first time we've ever met, the second if not). Beyond this, I haven't observed much in the way of formalized gestures.

4. What initiates relations between two companies? (telephone call, e-mail, advertise posting etc.)

We've started ties with companies in many ways. Some times a company will randomly call us to see if they can be of service (such as resellers). Some times they'll mail us. Other times we seek them out online if we need something specific. We might also email or phone other companies. Ads rarely lead to communication.

Yes. So long as a person gets their work done, little attention is paid to what else they do.

6. If there is no answer to the question, what does it mean? (agreement, disagreement)

Generally it would be assumed that either they haven't received it yet or are in agreement.

A typical greeting with someone new would be along the lines of "Hi, nice to meet you. I'm <name>. How are you?" while shaking hands.

8. Lateness and unpunctualities, is it ok or not? What if you are late becuase of traffic jams?

In this environment, they're pretty flexible, but this is something that varies widely from company to company. Some will impose penalties for being late. Others like this one just pay you for the time you're here.

9. If you know your partner's language a little, should you try to speak on it during communications?

I don't know. We don't have any day to day communication with anyone who has a native language other than English. (Not that we wouldn't--there just isn't anyone we've talked to to date where this isn't the case.)

Generally, cards are handed out at the end of a first meeting with someone new.

Job relations

Absolutely. If they're in a position to help you, they should unless you just start to dump your work on them.

Yes. It is of course discouraged, but it isn't a major deal.

We've never had one.

14. Lunch, how much time is usually spent on it? Where do people usually have a lunch?

Most people take 30 minutes for lunch. I take an hour. Timing is pretty flexible here, so a person is free to take it any time they'd really like provided they don't leave a whole in service. For example, the office people never all go at once. I think most people go home or out to eat for lunch. Rarely do we go anywhere as groups--everyone just kind of does their own thing.

Everyday life

Not generally with people who are already known. It's more of an introductory procedure.

17. If you are invited to somebody's house as a guest, should you bring something (like flowers, bottle of wine etc.)?

19. Flowers, when, how and to whom they should be given? Does any particular flower mean something or used only for any special events?

20. If you accepted invitation to lunch (dinner or some other meal) should you send invitation too?

Generally, a 15% tip is considered appropriate for fair service. If there are is a group of 6-8 or more people, a restaurant has legal authority to impose a 15% gratuity on the bill. Below that it's up to the individual to decide.

Transport

Back seat.

Some of these don't really apply where I live so I left them blank (I don't know the answers with enough authority).
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    huge thanks to you Particle!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_GK View Post
    Hi all

I study in university and have english courses there, so I have a task to make so-called cross-cultural research. Everybody in my group chose one country for making this research, I've chosen the United States I have a list of questions that must be covered by this research.
    If have free minute or two please answer this questions (or some of them). If you don't agree with the answers given by previous posts - just say another opinion, I need as much information as possible.

Any input is highly appreciated, thanks in advance

Questions are divided into several groups, but numeration is common for the whole list.
    Here is it:

1. Is it necessary to mention titulus, rank or post during business communication? Depends on profession, but usually no.
    2. Is it fine to wear earrings, piercing, informal haircuts etc. for men? Depends on what kind of business you are involved in.
    3. What you can say about handshakes and other gestures during business communications? It is encouraged.
    4. What initiates relations between two companies? (telephone call, e-mail, advertise posting etc.) Your examples don't really match up with your question. What initiates relations is usually when one company has something the other one wants.
    5. Is it possible to talk about anything except business topics? Depends on your relationship with the other person.
    6. If there is no answer to the question, what does it mean? (agreement, disagreement) You talking about the US government?
    7. What should be said before introducing yourself to somebody? Hello.
    8. Lateness and unpunctualities, is it ok or not? What if you are late becuase of traffic jams? With FedEx it is definitely not okay to be late. Other companies may have different policies.
    9. If you know your partner's language a little, should you try to speak on it during communications? Sure, it can often be funny when you say the wrong thing.
    10. Business card, how it should be given? Never given a business card. I'm not in a professional environment.

Job relations
    11. Can you ask your colleague for help at work? Yes as long as you are on good terms. If he doesn't like you he won't help you.
    12. Working hours. Is it possible to be late at work? I work from 6pm to 2:30am overtime is not allowed unless it's the peak season.
    13. Corporate parties, what can you say about it? They suck for FedEx but some people I've worked for had awesome Christmas parties.
    14. Lunch, how much time is usually spent on it? Where do people usually have a lunch? Usually a half hour or an hour, depends on your employer. Sometime I go home for lunch other times I will go get something and bring it back to work.

Everyday life
    15. Handshakes and other gestures during informal communications? Sometimes nothing, sometimes handshakes, sometimes hugs.
    16. What themes (talks) should be avoided during the meal? With my ex inlaws, nothing they talk about everything.
    17. If you are invited to somebody's house as a guest, should you bring something (like flowers, bottle of wine etc.)? Sometimes, wine is nice if you are invited to dinner.
    18. Is it possible to talk about business during the dinner? If it's during work hours, absolutely. If it's on personal time it depends sometimes you will be talking about business and you will be asked to not talk about business.
    19. Flowers, when, how and to whom they should be given? Does any particular flower mean something or used only for any special events? I don't really give flowers but red roses are for love yellow roses are for friendship. A plant would be more acceptable for a business gift.
    20. If you accepted invitation to lunch (dinner or some other meal) should you send invitation too? Depends if it's RSVP or not.
    21. Tips in the restaurant, is it necessary? How much? Yes 15% is bare minimum 30% if it's outstanding service. I haven't given 30% that much but it has happened.

Transport
    22. Taxi, how often it is used? Is it possible to order a taxi? It is possible to have a cab come pick you up. Certain parts of the country are different then others. New York city everybody takes a Taxi or walks. In San Fransisco we will sometimes take a cab when we go out drinking.
    23. Where does passenger usually sit in taxi? (front or backseat) Backseat unless there is no more room then I think you can sit in the front.
    24. Payment for taxi, tax counter or tips? Certain "type" of person may be asked where they are going and demand payment first.
    25. What types of taxi exist? Sometimes cars sometimes minivans.

Cheers
    Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] 2long4u View Post
    Your examples don't really match up with your question. What initiates relations is usually when one company has something the other one wants.
    I've built this question incorrect - sorry for that.
    I mean what should I do if I am interested in starting relations with another company - send e-mail, make a call etc.

Hope that helps.
    Be sure it does, thank you very much.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Email is a little impersonal. I would make a phone call if it was long distance or go in person if it was close.
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    How are things done over there?
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Email is a little impersonal. I would make a phone call if it was long distance or go in person if it was close.
    ok, I got the idea, thank you.

Research is only in the begining, so I am waiting for any input for two weeks at least

Xtreme Member
    I'll try my best. Had only a little time left over now...

Not necessary but sometimes beneficial

It depends on the industry one is working in. For more "liberal" industries like the arts it is fine, and even desirable perhaps in some such as fashion.

Body language can signal social status and confidence. Use with care.

4. What initiates relations between two companies? I mean what should I do if I am interested in starting relations with another company - send e-mail, make a call etc.

Advertising and word of mouth. Depending on the field the efficiency of either can be dramatically different. In personality driven fields personal recommendations and connections are clearly more beneficial.

Yes, but with care. Some are very sensitive to certain topics and it is generally recommended to stay away from religion and politics.

?

?

Once may perhaps be fine, but in general being punctual is always looked upon as being professional. Of course, if you're the client who's paying the bills, you can be "as late as you want".

Sure, why not. When doing so one gives off a few signals: That one is interested in the rest of the world - particularly the part of the world the other person is from, and that one is able to make an effort to learn new things.

Job relations

Yes. A healthy company structure and culture should reward cooperation in the spirit of the company.

"at" work? Meaning working extra hours? Yes, depending on the field.

Varies depending on industry and person. I've seen some go for hourly lunches at restaurants and others simply taking 20min to eat a sandwich.

Everyday life

Whatever. Depends on the person.

Depends on the crowd. A bunch of intellectuals with moderate egos can get away with politics and religion. If you're with your significant other and other couples it may

That'd be nice. I often call ahead and see if they need anything.

Yes.

Yes. I leave 10% for an acceptable service, 15% for good service and 20% for great service. If it sucks then no tip.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post

"at" work? Meaning working extra hours? Yes, depending on the field.
    I mean "to be late to work", sorry for my mistake - english is not my native But anyways, both "to work" and "at work" questions interest me.

Thanks for spending your time giving the answers

That's an interesting notion. Would you care to answer your own questions? I'd like to compare & contrast too.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    That's an interesting notion. Would you care to answer your own questions? I'd like to compare & contrast too.
    Sure, if you like! But little bit later, it's already 1 A.M. in Moscow

Xtreme Member
    I'll try to answer this but just so you know, I'm a Canadian living in the United States.

Not usually, but it depends on what its for. If you're army, or government, or something, then yes. Usually I don't tell people I'm a Reservations Agent for a hotel company unless they ask or its a business email.

Earrings are usually fine so long as they aren't too obvious. Other piercing aren't. At least not in business. In casual life, you can wear other piercings but they often result in strange looks from other people.

Hair is another matter. Blue hair in a mohawk style won't go over well no matter where you are, unless you're with people who are also wearing that kind of outlandish haircut.

Its custom to shake hands when greeting someone for the very first time in a business setting, though not usually when you say goodbye. In a casual setting, usually "hi, nice to meet you" will be enough.

You call the company, say who you are, who you are working for and in what capacity, then describe the very basics of what you are looking for (for example.. if you need to talk to them about sales, then you ask to speak with the sales manager) and they will direct you to the right person.

Yes, though people usually keep it to light topics if they are in a business setting. Talking about things like your kids school play or a good movie you saw recently are fine topics of conversation. Talking about your messy divorce is NEVER acceptable in a business setting.

Depends on what the question is. Usually the appropriate answer should be "I don't know but I will find out and get back to you on *such and such a date*". If you can't find the answer, you contact them on the date anyway and explain.

Nothing. You walk right up to them, put your hand out, and introduce yourself.

Depends. Some company's don't care, other company's do. My boss doesn't care if I'm late or not, so long as it isn't more than 15 minutes. If it will be longer, he wants me to call him to let him know the reason. Being late too often can result in getting a write up for bad behavior. Too many writeups and you can get fired.

No, because the other person then thinks you know their language and it can result in an awkward moment.

At the end of the conversation, just handed over casually. It can then just be placed in the pocket, or more formally in your wallet, without risk of offending someone.

Job relations

Depends. If its a sensitive issue that no one else should know about, then definitely not. If its any other issue, then its fine.

Depends on the company. As explained above, my boss doesn't really care so long as it isn't consistent or a long period of time.

Blech. Really boring usually. But generally people go even if they don't want to. Mostly because the company goes through alot of effort to make these party's and you want them to know that the effort is appreciated by making sure you attend.

Depends. My old job, I didn't get lunch. I munched when I could and out of sight of the customers, even when I worked an 8 hour shift (though its very unusual to not have a lunch). Currently I have a half hour lunch which is normal for my level of employment. Managers typically get an hour long lunch at most companies.

Some companies have their own staff rooms, some don't. My company's staff room is rather small so alot of people eat at their desk or go out for lunch. Sometimes they go together, sometimes they don't.

Everyday life

Depends on the situation. Usually with older people, you shake hands because its polite. If its someone in your age group or younger, you usually don't unless they reach to shake your hand.

Depends. If its family, anything goes usually so long as you're comfortable talking about it. If its friends, depends on the friendship. If its acquaintances, try to keep it light like talking about movies and music and stuff or they may not become friends.

Its very nice if you do but it isn't expected and extremely rare.

If its casual, stay off the business topic. Keep business at business functions.

Flowers are ok to give to your mother, your girlfriend, your wife, your daughters, your nieces, your female cousins, and your grandmother. Anyone else makes people extremely uncomfortable, and may even anger people.

Generally flowers are given at birthdays, Mothers Day or Valentines Day. Roses are traditionally given to your mother, your grandmother, your wife, your girlfriend, your sisters, or your daughters. It is not appropriate to give them to nieces or cousins. If the woman you are giving them to is just a date, you may consider a single rose rather than a bouquet or she may feel that you are being presumptuous about where your relationship is headed and thus extremely uncomfortable. Red roses are best for your wife (preferably a bouquet of 12 roses or more), though would also be appropriate for your grandmother and your mother. Red signify's a deep love. Other colors are generally fine for everyone else but remember that black symbolizes death so should not be given. Yellow is for friendship though they are often given by themselves or mixed with other colors including red.

No. Its not required nor expected, though some women will say otherwise.

Uggg... This is a bone of contention with me. In the United States, tips are expected at a sit down restaurant but not at a drive through (like Burger King), especially if they did a good job. And the amount you tip has increased over recent years to roughly 18% of the cost of the meal. The reason you tip is because the waiters in this country get totally screwed. Usually they are paid per hour WAYYYYYY less than everyone else (think about $2.50 an hour on average). The tips make up for the money that they aren't paid properly by their employer. They are also required to report their tips to the government so they can be taxed.

See, I find all of it absolutely disgusting. In Canada, you are paid minimum wage regardless of whether you are a waiter or not. Tips are given for a good job, not for other reasons. They are greatly desired and appreciated by the wait staff but they are NOT required. The current minimum wage in Canada is $8.40 an hour so they aren't screwed by their own government. They are supposed to report their tips to the government so they can be taxed but, if they are tipped in cash, they rarely ever do.

Transport

Occasionally. They are expensive, but they are just a phone call away.

In the United States, usually the backseat. This is for the protection of the driver since there are crazy people out there that would quite willingly rob the driver since they often have alot of money with them in the car.

Uhhh, I don't think you tip here for a taxi but I've never taken one in this country. I did tip a taxi once in Canada but thats a long story and the man so deserved a $20 tip. He saved my butt and he was so incredibly nice.

A regular car, and occasionally a van. I've never seen a limo as a taxi.
    Last edited by moiraesfate; 10-21-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    moiraesfate, thanks!

Here is my answers

Seldom, in very special cases. Almost everytime saying full name (Surname Name and Patronymic) of the person is enough.

It depends on company, but 90% not. Even in everyday life adult people look at you strange if you wear unusual haircut or earrings In big cities like Moscow it is more or less fine, but in small towns it stays unacceptable.
    Also for adult people tatoos mostly symbolize that you were in prison

It is common for men to greet each other with a handshake everytime they meet, it applies to everyday life too. Sometimes man greet woman with a light handshake during business relations. Unfortunately I can't say anything about other gestures.

I think it usually starts with e-mail or phone call.

Have no idea, was not on any business meeting

We have a saying "Silence mean agreement" but I think any business arrangements must be confirmed or denied directly.

"Hello, my name is ... I am %post% from %company%" for example. I should notice that there are different greeting words in russian. Some of them are more formal and polite.

Depends on business, but commonly it is not acceptable.

I think you should use translator in this case.

Usually in the end of the meeting

Job relations

Yes you can if you are in good relations.
    Usually 9.00-18.00, one hour for a lunch. Sometimes it is allowed to come and leave earlier or later, e.g if you came at 8.00 you can go home at 17.00. Also it depends on company.
    Depends on company, but almost each more or less successfull company in Moscow has them (parties). It can be bowling, billiards, trips to countryside - anything that company has money for.
    Usually one hour. I work in big building where both shopping and business centers are, so my colleagues go for lunch to restaurants in the mall(Sushi is their favourite ) Also there is some kind of cheap restaurant only for people working this business center. I usually buy something in minimarket and bring to my workplace.

I should make a note, I work in russian branch of ExxonMobil so it is more american office then russian

*** sigh, it is not so easy to answer this questions let's go on ***

Everyday life

Handshakes are usual for men, friendly kisses and hugs for women (friends)
    Nothing special, just general unpleasant human themes should be avoided.
    It is good to bring a cake or a pie.
    I think yes, if everbody is familiar with things you are talking about.
    Flowers would be appreciated by any woman I guess Red roses mean love, yellow flowers mean separation, that is all I can say
    It is good, but not neccessary.
    15% if you like the service but there is no all-known rules fo tips

Transport

It is rather expensive and usually used as a transport to airport for example. In 50% cases taxi is being ordered in advance.
    Often russian people sit in the front, but as for me it is not nice so I seat in the back.
    Depends on taxi. Sometimes taxi company have fixed rates, sometimes you should talk to the driver about price before the trip. It is common for Russia that you can just stay on the roadside, catch the car and driver will agree to ride wherever you need. Herewith the driver doesn't have license to do this service, doesn't have dispatcher etc. he is just a man who own a car
    Usual cars, I guess van can be ordered too.

Hopefully I explained my thoughts right and you understand what I've written

Xtreme Member
    aka_GK, we understood just fine. You speak english very well, with some small differences. Its interesting.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post
    aka_GK, we understood just fine. You speak english very well, with some small differences. Its interesting.
    what are they?

thanks

SLC
    I've lived 9 years in Russia, 4 years in Ukraine, and approaching 9 years in Canada with frequent trips to the US. Let me know if I can help. I am fluent in Russian and English.

Xtreme Addict
    Not not usually.
    depends on the job and situation. In most cases no, but for things like art jobs or stuff like that it can be ok. It is also acceptable in low class jobs like gardeners, some fast food restaurants, movie theater, janitor, etc
    Normally you shake the persons hand who you are meeting at a company.
    At my company we generally get phone calls.
    Most cases it is acceptable and normal for some "small talk" to go on before or after your business relations take place.
    You should leave earlier next time so if a traffic jam happens you cna stil get there on time.
    English is the preferred language in the US, only in low class jobs and places are things like Spanish spoken to accommodate people who haven't bothered to learn the countries national language.
    never given a business card before.

Job relations
    If you have been at the company a while then asking for help is generally frowned upon except for things like lifting a large object down that is clearly a 2 person job. If you haven't been there long and you don't quite understand something, or don't seem to be able to do it as fast as everyone else then asking for help is acceptable, especially if you are trying to figure out how it could be done faster.
    frowned upon in all circumstances. If you are late too much you will be fired cause there are plenty of other people who can be there on time.
    generally boring. I would much rather leave work early and do my own thing.
    during work days, generally as long as your lunch break has alotted . Other days, it varies. Sometimes I spend 20 minutes on lunch or dinner, sometimes a couple hours.

Everyday life
    A slightly more formal way to say hello would be to shake the persons hand when you see them.
    depends on the crowd, but overall I would say: politics, sex, crude humor, things you know certain people at the table dont like.
    sometimes yes and sometimes no.
    depends on the situation really.
    It is considered normal to tip the waiter/waitress for their service. I usually do about 20%, +/-5% depending on service quality

Transport
    I have never used a taxi, but I know it is possible to order one. I have always had a car or my parents were able to give me a ride before I had a car.
    backseat
    I think counter, but I wouldn't know as I haven't used one.
    dont know what this question is supposed to mean.

Cheers
    hope that helps
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thank you enigma, of course it helps

Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    I've lived 9 years in Russia, 4 years in Ukraine, and approaching 9 years in Canada with frequent trips to the US. Let me know if I can help. I am fluent in Russian and English.
    great!
    where are you from? I mean where you was born?

SLC
    great!
    where are you from? I mean where you was born?
    Saint Petersburg. What about you? Moscow?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    Saint Petersburg. What about you? Moscow?
    so, are you russian?

I have been living in Moscow for 4 years, but I was born 600km south-east of it

I am full of wishing to ask you something but don't actually know what