Thread: onre MCR320 or 2 MCR220 ?

Xtreme Enthusiast

onre MCR320 or 2 MCR220 ?

OK I'm having a space issue, so which is better an MCR320 or 2x MCR220 ?

The 2 MCR 220 will be mounted inside my case pulling air from outside to inside the case then other fan will pull the hot air outside the case.

The MCR320 will be mounted outside the case but due to this issue :

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=237036

The MCR320 will make my system look really ugly because it will be sticking higher than the case!

So what do you think?

Xtreme Member
    You'd get better cooling performance with the two MCR220s since you'll be able to dissipate more heat easier. Also you'll be able to avoid mounting the triple in front of your graphics cards. To top it off you said your rig will look much nicer with the two 220s.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ya with the 2 MCRs I'll mount on at the top of the case and one at the back side of the case so all rads will be inside the case, nothing external.

What are you planning to put on your radiator ... CPU, GPU?,

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Right now, only the CPU and might later on add a water block for the graphics card and split the loop with another MCP 355.

here is the list I made to replace my old order, I need to send it to Gary ASAP.

check it out and tell me what u think?

I assume an i7? or is this an i5 build?

Since you can't get the 320 in your case, I'd definitely go with the 220 for now, and add another later if you need it. Just my personal bias, but I prefer the radiators inside the case. Looks like you've picked some good fans that should do a good job on the radiator.

I see you've picked 3/8" x 1/2" tubing ... that's fine, just know that the thinner walls may be more likely to give you kinking problems if you have any tight bends.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    I assume an i7? or is this an i5 build?

Since you can't get the 320 in your case, I'd definitely go with the 220 for now, and add another later if you need it. Just my personal bias, but I prefer the radiators inside the case. Looks like you've picked some good fans that should do a good job on the radiator.

I see you've picked 3/8" x 1/2" tubing ... that's fine, just know that the thinner walls may be more likely to give you kinking problems if you have any tight bends.
    I wanted to go with 1/2ID 3/4OD tubes but can't find 45dgree fittings with compression for it @ Sidewinder Computers.

The reason for the 2nd 220 is to connect it in the future with the graphics card.

Yes I have a Core i7 CPU and was testing it last night and found out that my R2E hits a wall at Bclk 209 which means the highest overclocking I can get from that CPU is less than 4.4GHz, so I think the 220 should be enough.

The 220 should work ... but you'll be pushing it a bit at that OC (not saying it won't work, just don't expect super low temps). Again, you've picked good fans to go with it.

I see these 7/16"x5/8" 45 degree fittings in stock at Sidewinders

Also, this 45 degree rotary works with all sizes of compression fittings.

Please don't take my comments as gospel ... I've only used the 3/8"x1/2" tubing on one build - I like the way it looks, but as I said, it is a bit easier to kink. So go with whatever you want

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The problem with the these 7/16"x5/8" fittings is that I'll have to go with clear Tubes, I want colored tubes

Quote Originally Posted by Salamndar View Post
    The problem with the these 7/16"x5/8" fittings is that I'll have to go with clear Tubes, I want colored tubes
    y? ton of 7/16 colored tubing out there
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield
    Motherboard: Foxconn Blackops X48
    Memory: 4G 2x2 OCZ Reaper DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) 8-8-8-27 1.9v
    Hard Drives: 2 x W.D Raptor 150GB (OS, games, apps) RAID0
    Video Card: XFX Black Edition 9800GTX @ stock frequency (760 core / 2280 memory / 1900 shader)
    Case: CM Cosmos S
    PSU: Corsiar 620HX
    WC : Custom Water
    Optical Drives: Nec 3550 dvd burner
    OS: Gentoo GNU/Linux amd64 | Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
    Odds/Ends: Razer Diamondback Mouse - Happy Hacking Keyboad Pro2 - RME pro audio card. FreeBSD UNIX servers and laptop when I'm not gaming!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by UNIXgod View Post
    y? ton of 7/16 colored tubing out there
    Not on Sidewinder !

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok what do you think with the list bellow?

I might add some Dye to color the D. water though I really hate to mix the water with any thing other than PT_Nuke !

Looks good. Go with the clear tubing for now with just distilled and your PT-Nuke. If this is your first build, it's good to work with clear tubing - generally easier to see if you've got any air bubbles in your system. Down the road, if you want colored tubing, you can get it from somewhere else. I assume there's a reason everything needs to come from Sidewinders in one order.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Looks good. Go with the clear tubing for now with just distilled and your PT-Nuke. If this is your first build, it's good to work with clear tubing - generally easier to see if you've got any air bubbles in your system. Down the road, if you want colored tubing, you can get it from somewhere else. I assume there's a reason everything needs to come from Sidewinders in one order.
    Ya I have a Credit card issue as it is refusing to work online and my Bank can't decide why, Gary is helping me by doing it manually with a picture of my credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamndar View Post
    Not on Sidewinder !
    I didn't realize you couldn't shop anywhere else. To bad. colored tubing looks hot
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield
    Motherboard: Foxconn Blackops X48
    Memory: 4G 2x2 OCZ Reaper DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) 8-8-8-27 1.9v
    Hard Drives: 2 x W.D Raptor 150GB (OS, games, apps) RAID0
    Video Card: XFX Black Edition 9800GTX @ stock frequency (760 core / 2280 memory / 1900 shader)
    Case: CM Cosmos S
    PSU: Corsiar 620HX
    WC : Custom Water
    Optical Drives: Nec 3550 dvd burner
    OS: Gentoo GNU/Linux amd64 | Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
    Odds/Ends: Razer Diamondback Mouse - Happy Hacking Keyboad Pro2 - RME pro audio card. FreeBSD UNIX servers and laptop when I'm not gaming!