Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Physics Working On HD 4890?

Xtreme Member

Physics Working On HD 4890?

Edit: Retesting some more, will add the new link later.

Yesterday, I reported on the release of ATI's OpenCL platform beta release and I thought it rude not to give it a try!

The release consists of ATI Stream SDK beta V2.0, and ATI OpenCL beta driver V2.0. Having downloaded this to run on a PC primarily used for animation using Blender, I decided to try it on my main gaming machine...
    Last edited by Clunk; 10-18-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    nvidia's just lost a major part of their marketing

I am Xtreme
    Hey Clunk, can you provide a video for us?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    If I remember correctlly there was driver which emulated PhysX hardware on CPU. Although Im not sure if Nvidia still distributes this with its GPU drivers. Also I doubt that NV used OpenCL to write PhysX libs.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm sure this driver just tricked the game and the PhysX is running on the CPU if anything. Unless this game is OpenCL-only, I see no way why CUDA should magically be running on an ATI card. If, however, this is all true, I will prepare my jaw to drop.
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    does this mean ati can use physix via openl?
    or does that mean futuremark and batman support opencl physics effects?

sounds like the former to me... but thats odd
    and the latter would be way better, as most of the effects can be done on our cpus as well, and id prefer to use some of those 5-7 idle cores (i7 with ht) instead of sacrificing gpu power....

interesting news, didnt expect this!
    its cool to have physix running on ati... but its still physix... and it still sucks, so... heh, not really that useful

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechromancer View Post
    I'm sure this driver just tricked the game and the PhysX is running on the CPU if anything. Unless this game is OpenCL-only, I see no way why CUDA should magically be running on an ATI card. If, however, this is all true, I will prepare my jaw to drop.
    I'm almost certain it works that way, yep.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Helloworld_98 View Post
    nvidia's just lost a major part of their marketing
    and yet made the market for the gpu bigger.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    Hey Clunk, can you provide a video for us?
    Videos on the way, he's just encoding and upping to youtube.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    If I remember correctlly there was driver which emulated PhysX hardware on CPU. Although Im not sure if Nvidia still distributes this with its GPU drivers. Also I doubt that NV used OpenCL to write PhysX libs.
    I heard Dave Hoff (former nVidia employee that worked on designing CUDA and now works for ATI) offered nVidia to help them porting PhysX to OpenCL. He says its really simple. nVidia rejected the offer because they want to stick to there closed-source bullshyte.
    http://www.rage3d.com/previews/video.../index.php?p=4
    Last edited by ownage; 10-17-2009 at 11:34 AM.
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Mentor
    PhysX is running on the CPU in these situations, and as the article points out it's quite slow.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Banned
    PhysX works on the CPU.

With a more advanced programmable shaders in ATi's newly released cards, it wouldn't be hard to allow for those CPU hooks to be redirected to whatever GPU is out there than can calculate the Ageia middleware...

Right?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Videos on the way, he's just encoding and upping to youtube.
    Thanks!
    Could you also give some instructions on how to install this/what programs to download? I followed the thread and stumbled upon what to do. However, it's a tad complex for just driver install. Care to elaborate a bit?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    How about that CUDA-Z benchmark. Would you be able to run that with OpenCL installed?
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    How about that CUDA-Z benchmark. Would you be able to run that with OpenCL installed?
    no. openCL and CUDA are similar but not the same. it looks like physx could live if they have it on openCL. nV already has a lot of good development tools for it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    PhysX is running on the CPU in these situations, and as the article points out it's quite slow.
    http://techreport.com/articles.x/17618/13
    I'd say that in this situation, failing to make use of the CPU power available amounts to sabotaging performance on your competition's hardware.
    Nvidia is on a mission of being hated by everyone.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    Thanks!
    Could you also give some instructions on how to install this/what programs to download? I followed the thread and stumbled upon what to do. However, it's a tad complex for just driver install. Care to elaborate a bit?
    Click on the forum link at the bottom of the article and there's instructions on how to install the bits and pieces there. He's working on a simplified install guide now.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    its probably running on one core only then... hope the guys at clunk can check cpu and cpu core usage with physix enabled and disabled, that should clear things up

oh and physix running slow on a cpu says more about the way its coded than the performance of the cpu is my guess

i read somewhere that nvidia was very active in opencl development and that opencl is actually very similar to cuda? and they ported physix to run onto their gpus using cuda, right? so is that true? is opencl and cuda very similar? and if yes, is it similar because nvidia supported opencl and donated a lot of code, or is it similar because of other reasons?
    Last edited by saaya; 10-17-2009 at 11:58 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    its probably running on one core only then... hope the guys at clunk can check cpu and cpu core usage with physix enabled and disabled, that should clear things up
    He's checking it out now

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    no. openCL and CUDA are similar but not the same. it looks like physx could live if they have it on openCL. nV already has a lot of good development tools for it.
    do we really want physix around though? :/ good dev tools or not, wide spread usage or not... i cant say physix has really advanced phycics effects in games... the effects look about the same as havoc and other stuff, or worse, and they tend to cripple fps... even on nvidia highend cards... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    He's checking it out now
    cool! full screen taks manager screenshots with refresh speed set to high for physix disabled, medium and high would be great, cheers!
    Last edited by saaya; 10-17-2009 at 12:06 PM.

I am Xtreme
    How do you check physic activity?

Ninja Edit:
    Or are we talking about specific cpu (and/or GPU) usage when physics are used?
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 10-17-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    do we really want physix around though? :/
    YES I DO!
    I played just 2 games with Physix: Mirror's Edge & Batman Arcanum Asylum, and it was a great experience. Now after finishing those two games, I can admit that i couldn't play these two games again without Physix active. For me, Physix changed the entire feeling of the game.

Well i dont care if its called Physix, or Havoc-Physix, I just want this thing implemented in all games, and also ATI cards to run it and everybody to be happy and shake hands.

Batman Arcanum Asylium Physix Benchmark
    Last edited by nr4; 10-17-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Xtreme Member
    How do you check physic activity?
    Haha, just pick an object and shoot it
    new-old rig:
    E8600
    2x ASUS 4850
    DFI X48 board
    4 gb DDR2
    650w FSP PSU
    Working on some liquid cooling!

old-old rig:
    Opteron 165 @ 2.610 (1.425v)
    - Prime Stable, Stock HSF
    DFI LanParty UT Expert
    2gb G. Skill Dual Channel Ram 2.5-3-3-6
    7900gt CO SuperClocked
    2x WD250gb SATA in RAID 0
    FSP Epsilon 600W

heatware: thenrz

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by thenrz View Post
    Haha, just pick an object and shoot it
    damn now i think nvidia will drop physx since there is no more reason for it to exist

I am Xtreme
    This is what folk have been saying all this time now .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast