Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How's your MPG?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    How many head gaskets to the mile do you get? Just kidding...

I think the 3.8L was Fords worse engine ever.

Anyhow on topic. I get about 35 M.P.G (highway) in my 2007 Dodge Caliber (2.0/Auto/36K miles) and roughly 30 in the city.
    Ahh, finally a joke about the Essex 3.8l. I was going to make a joke about how much oil per mile he uses, but the blowby isn't that bad on those things.

09 Focus SES

Driving around the city normally, I average about 22-25mpg (thanks to lead foot syndrome) after a few hundred miles, and keeping it mainly on the highway, it stays in the mid 30's. The car averages about 25-30 overall though. Not too bad. I went 3 weeks without filling the tank until a few days ago.
    Last edited by breakfromyou; 01-24-2010 at 02:52 AM.
    Computer:
    Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16gb @ stock
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
    Graphics: Evga GTX 1080 FTW, Coil Whine edition
    PSU: Corsair RMi 650w
    Cooling: Please don't remind me. Corsair H115i w/Arctic P14 PWM fans.
    HDD: 970 Pro, 860 Evo, WD 1tb 3 platter drive (12 years old?!), etc.

Xtreme Addict
    Mazda 323f BJ (Protege-5 in US) 1,5l 88hp = 26mpg (mixed: city and highway)
    That isn't good at all
    Last edited by ownage; 01-24-2010 at 11:15 AM.
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Addict
    Another MPG question......

How long until the "MPG" obsession ends and people stop talking about it.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    08 Honda Civic 25 city 41 hwy
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Mine is 0.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Ker-Pow !
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post

For me it will be when the government stops pulling our pants down on the sheer amount of taxation in fuel. When it was 50p per litre I never worried about what the cars did, now its a remortgage to fill up each time I would like to know where my money is going.

Xtreme Addict
    When car manufacturers get their crap together and start figuring the future fuel crisis out. There are SO many different alternative fuels. Seems like only Honda and a couple of over seas companies have made anything that doesn't suck.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC]thewildblue View Post
    For me it will be when the government stops pulling our pants down on the sheer amount of taxation in fuel. When it was 50p per litre I never worried about what the cars did, now its a remortgage to fill up each time I would like to know where my money is going.
    Yeah, I pay 1,43 euro per litre. That's 5,4 euro or $7,6 per US gallon.
    I believe one US gallon, in the US costs about $2.8?
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    When car manufacturers get their crap together and start figuring the future fuel crisis out. There are SO many different alternative fuels. Seems like only Honda and a couple of over seas companies have made anything that doesn't suck.
    All of Honda's cars run off of gasoline like everybody else

I don't know what the best alternative fuel for a car is. At least one that doesn't cause food prices to jack up because they insist on using corn ethanol instead of ethanol from stuff like switchgrass or something other than a food source.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    They have a new car thats being sold only in California. It runs off water.

Xtreme Member

Anyhow on topic. I get about 35 M.P.G (highway) in my 2007 Dodge Caliber (2.0/Auto/36K miles) and roughly 30 in the city.

Only the 94-95 motors had head gasket issues and with the proper problem solver gaskets they are fixed once.

Ford's worst engine? Hardly. The only real problem was the growing pains from having a cast iron block with aluminum heads.

Gas mileage? My wife's 2002 Mustang 3.8L V6 easily gets 35MPG highway and I have no problem getting 25MPG+ in city traffic.

Try again making yourself feel better about buying a Dodge.

Lenove T420i i5 2530/16gb/64gbMSSD/500GB/PE4H running a 660GTX gaming on 24" LCD
    3DMARK FIRESTORM

Quote Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
    Only the 94-95 motors had head gasket issues and with the proper problem solver gaskets they are fixed once..
    I beg to differ a little. Parents had a 96 Windstar, blew the gaskets. Blew them again later (the other one, I guess they didn't fix both at the same time).

Friends have a 98. It had blown its gaskets too previously. However it did get repaired with the updated gaskets and hasn't had an issue with them in nearly 100k miles.

Others I'm aware of through the mechanic is that they've had many of those 3.8 fords come in all throughout the 90s model years with gasket problems. Typically the updated gaskets fix it for good.

My only point is just that the gasket issue wasn't only in 94 and 95, it went much longer than that.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict

I've never had to replace them.
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    They have a new car thats being sold only in California. It runs off water.
    Not really... The FCX Clarity is a hydrogen fuel cell powered electric car (i.e. the only fuel onboard is hydrogen, not water). Now, water is one possible source for obtaining hydrogen but you have to crack it out via electrolysis, which requires a fair amount of input energy and isn't a particularly efficient process.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007

Indeed... greenwash has become fashionable and, as a result, a very profitable industry has formed around the cult of green--the car manufacturers would have to be utterly retarded not to take advantage of this. It will continue as long as producers can convince consumers to keep mindlessly consuming on the basis of "doing their part" to protect the environment.
    Last edited by Petra; 01-27-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Addict
    Meant to say the exhaust is water. My mistake.

Yes, it runs on hydrogen.

I've been excruciatingly tired all week, and I still am. For all I know I just posted it runs on farts and unicorn dust.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have a GMC canyon crew cab 4x4 and average 22 mpg in mixed highway and city driving. it has the I5 3.5l 220hp motor (2006).

I live out in a rural area, and have to drive 23 miles to work each day. living in the country, i really need to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle... that sort of limits my options when looking for a fuel efficient mode of transportation.

The Canyon does a pretty good job of getting me and my family safely through the snow while maintaining a decent gas mileage. in comparison, my wifes V8 jeep grand cherokee (2005) averages 17mpg. my brothers 2002 trans am with the 320hp ls1 v8 averages 24mpg....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rozzyroz View Post
    I have a GMC canyon crew cab 4x4 and average 22 mpg in mixed highway and city driving. it has the I5 3.5l 220hp motor (2006).

I live out in a rural area, and have to drive 23 miles to work each day. living in the country, i really need to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle... that sort of limits my options when looking for a fuel efficient mode of transportation.

The Canyon does a pretty good job of getting me and my family safely through the snow while maintaining a decent gas mileage. in comparison, my wifes V8 jeep grand cherokee (2005) averages 17mpg. my brothers 2002 trans am with the 320hp ls1 v8 averages 24mpg....
    Why not get an AWD car? Like a Subaru Legacy or an Outback? They don't have the greatest mpg, but better than an SUV and they perform well enough for someone who lives in the country.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    1.6lt,NA about 25mpg home->work->home in traffic...

Ker-Pow !
    Mk 2 MX5 1.8 RS Ltd....average 32mpg over 6k miles so far and I dont hang about either....
    Versys is on 59.9mpg over 10k miles again thats a good few full throttle to redline runs like in the mx5 as well.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why not get an AWD car? Like a Subaru Legacy or an Outback? They don't have the greatest mpg, but better than an SUV and they perform well enough for someone who lives in the country.
    well, there are lots of cars that offer an awd option, but the main problem is i need a truck.. hauling dirt, making trips to the dump and general hauling (ie. 500lbs of water softener salt, or a freezer for example) just cant be done in a car. i also needed a back seat... the gmc canyon crew cab or the chevy colorado (same vehicle) were right up my ally.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rozzyroz View Post
    well, there are lots of cars that offer an awd option, but the main problem is i need a truck.. hauling dirt, making trips to the dump and general hauling (ie. 500lbs of water softener salt, or a freezer for example) just cant be done in a car. i also needed a back seat... the gmc canyon crew cab or the chevy colorado (same vehicle) were right up my ally.
    I hope you have a toy to play with.

Driving a all stock 2003 Chevy Blazer with the 4.3L V6 with mostly city in the winter around 12MPG, summer 15MPG. Highway driving I get around 20MPG

It sucks but I don't drive that much so I don't really have to worry about it

Xtreme Addict
    I am really disappointed with my 2.5L 08 Jetta. I average about 25mpg and I can pull about 27 or so if I am cruising on a long freeway stretch at 65.The lowest I have seen was around 23MPG which was with all city driving.
    Desktop:
    Antec 300
    Foxcon A7AD-S 790GX
    8GB Gskill PC-1066@5/5/5/12
    PII X940 BE @3.6GHZ
    Sunbeam Core Contact
    2x 640GB in Raid 0+1
    4870 512MB@800/1000
    Vista Business 64bit W/ SP1

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by vengance_01 View Post
    I am really disappointed with my 2.5L 08 Jetta. I average about 25mpg and I can pull about 27 or so if I am cruising on a long freeway stretch at 65.The lowest I have seen was around 23MPG which was with all city driving.
    Interesting... my wife's '09 2.0L Turbo Jetta has been averaging between 22 & 24mpg city and a pretty consistent 29mpg freeway (at 70mph or so).
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Interesting... my wife's '09 2.0L Turbo Jetta has been averaging between 22 & 24mpg city and a pretty consistent 29mpg freeway (at 70mph or so).
    Yea. the 4 cylinder TDI's gets a bit better mileage then the standard 5 cyclinder 2.5L engines used on the Rabbit, Jetta. I wish I would have gotten a slightly used GTI instead of my new 08 Jetta but thats the breaks
    Desktop:
    Antec 300
    Foxcon A7AD-S 790GX
    8GB Gskill PC-1066@5/5/5/12
    PII X940 BE @3.6GHZ
    Sunbeam Core Contact
    2x 640GB in Raid 0+1
    4870 512MB@800/1000
    Vista Business 64bit W/ SP1

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast