Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMD Reports Third Quarter Results

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    oh, and this makes all those statements of nvidia going out of business hilarious.
    AMD doing bad doesn't preclude the possibility of Nvidia doing bad as well. It's a hard market out there right now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yawn.

This is what? 14 quarters in a row without profit. I don't know why AMD get's such slack from the financial companies, b/c any other company w/ a track record like that would have their debt downgraded to junk status.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    AMD doing bad doesn't preclude the possibility of Nvidia doing bad as well. It's a hard market out there right now.
    I agree. AMD's graphics department is little compared to their CPU department. The fact that AMD is doing bad doesn't automatically make Nvidia do good; because AMD can thrash Nvidia on the GPU market and still continue to suck as a whole company.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They do make some good gear.. but I struggle to see how this can keep going. Gotta pay interest on the debts somehow.

If only we could but a 785G into every home

Xtreme Addict
    So Fusion will come first in 2010 and in 2011 Buldozer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    And AMD is only a CPU manufactor due to stolen technology and making clones.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    While i would say that thats entirely true. The only problem is, when you compare the financials of the two companies you notice that AMD is approximately 2.5Billion in the hole if you take all their cash and pay off their debt(which is 5B). Once you do that with Nvidia nvidia has 1.4 billion in cash after paying their 28m in debt. So, what im saying is that AMD is in a much much more precarious situation than Nvidia and Nvidia still has quite a cushion to work with.

On top of that, AMD needs to stop trying to be so cheap. They have to start pulling in more profits on their CPUs, the biggest reason they're not pulling in enough profit on their CPUs is simply because there isnt enough performance to justify the price like intel can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did the GPU division make money? I couldnt understand, can someone explain?

Honestly, I thought worse. Hopefully Q4 will turn up a slight profit due to evergreen sales
    i7 920@4.34 | Rampage II GENE | 6GB OCZ Reaper 1866 | 8800GT (zzz) | Corsair AX750 | Xonar Essence ST w/ 3x LME49720 | HiFiMAN EF2 Amplifier | Shure SRH840 | EK Supreme HF | Thermochill PA 120.3 | MCP355 | XSPC Reservoir | 3/8" ID Tubing

Phenom 9950BE @ 3400/2000 (CPU/NB) | Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H | HD4850 | 4GB Corsair DHX @850 | Corsair TX650W | T.R.U.E Push-Pull

E2160 @3.06 | ASUS P5K-Pro | BFG 8800GT | 4GB G.Skill @ 1040 | 600W Tt PP

A64 3000+ @2.87 | DFI-NF4 | 7800 GTX | Patriot 1GB DDR @610 | 550W FSP

Xtreme Addict
    uhmm 18 percent increase is decent plus thx to nvidia they will make nice profit with there 5000 series ( even nvidia boys crying all over the forums won't stop that lol )

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LightSpeed View Post
    Yeah they made 8m on 300m in sales.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by eric66 View Post
    uhmm 18 percent increase is decent plus thx to nvidia they will make nice profit with there 5000 series ( even nvidia boys crying all over the forums won't stop that lol )
    Umm... people should look at the actual filing and not just the quick rundown.
    AMD "The Product Company" is actually looking much better than what it was a year ago. Much of their "bad" numbers are due to the Foundry's expenses/costs.

Clicky
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by v_rr View Post
    So Fusion will come first in 2010 and in 2011 Buldozer?
    I doubt it. I think bulldozer was supposed to be out in the end of 2010, and knowing how bad they're financial situation is we probably won't see it until 2012.

More importantly I have gut feeling we're being setup for a let down.

Think about it, the 3870, 4870 and 5870 were all pretty close or right on target. Granted there was hardly any supply, but at least they were released. It safe to say those were all great successes (3870 was big step in right direction, didn't offer top performance but manufacturing process was key and so was price).

Now barcelona on the other hand was ridiculously late, the early revisions had tons of problems with scaling and simply was a bust in terms of performance. 45nm offered better performance than we all expected (in terms of clocks and heat), but it still took forever to come out and was way behind nehalem.

I don't know, I just feel that because bulldozer is taking so long, something must be going wrong or they just don't have the capital and have to cut down the original model. More than likely it will be good, but will come out around the time intel develops something better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    AMD isn't really an actual company but rather, a giant albeit legal Ponzi scheme. If you look at AMD's history and add up their profits and losses, you'll see that AMD is in the red for money. How a company survives this long without ever actually making any money is beyond me. I wonder if in the history of corporations have their ever been a company that lost money for this long and continue to exist?

Xtreme Addict
    AMD survived all those years because OEMs wanted choice to keep Intel at bay, and Intel wanted competition to keep the regulators at bay. In any other circumstance they would've been driven out of the x86 market long ago.

Xtreme Member
    I find this funny, because they say "only" 128 Million. Do you realize how terrible that is? 128M is a hell of a lot of money considering how profitable ATi appears to be. But AMD is such a bad financial positition... like honestly. They need to start making the CPU division profitable or else the company will be forced to break up. Because AMD is still ridiculously in debt compared to almost everyone else...

oh, and this makes all those statements of nvidia going out of business hilarious.
    Wait until Nvidia 3Q results before saying that
    If they take another hit in warranty charges then they might be
    Nvidia has already paid $220 million in warranty costs for their little 'packaging' problem.
    If Nvidia can't get the class action suit filed against them dismissed then it starts to become possible.
    The impact of the packaging defect may be bigger then at first thought.

Plus Nvidia's profit margin is sitting at 20% if it drops much lower that makes credit rating agencies and investors nervous

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDDeathstar View Post
    Wait until Nvidia 3Q results before saying that
    If they take another hit in warranty charges then they might be
    Nvidia has already paid $220 million in warranty costs for their little 'packaging' problem.
    If Nvidia can't get the class action suit filed against them dismissed then it starts to become possible.
    The impact of the packaging defect may be bigger then at first thought.

Plus Nvidia's profit margin is sitting at 20% if it drops much lower that makes credit rating agencies and investors nervous
    So? even if nvidia took a 500m loss, they'd still be in a much better situation debt-wise compared to AMD. I'm giving a comparative example not an individual one. Individually, nvidia is in trouble this quarter... but as a company, hell no.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Banned
    Listened to the call, some things I took out of it.

• AMD is being very coy on the expected 4th quarter success of the 5000 series. Dirk pretty much refused to show any excitement or optimism. He hinted that supplied may be tight, but did not give more detail except to say supply would be "hand to mouth"
    • 32nm will ship in Q4-2010
    • CPU growth will be higher than GPU growth in Q4-2009. (this is the part that I think a lot of people had trouble believing, given AMD's uncontested status in GPUs for the holidays)

So I think AMD is lowering expectations in GPUs for some reason.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by LightSpeed View Post

Honestly, I thought worse. Hopefully Q4 will turn up a slight profit due to evergreen sales
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTM=&t=1

Their graphics division made an operational 8 million dollars, while their computing group made 74 million.

AMD does not split out the net income (loss) per group, so how much non-operating overhead their graphics division pulled to contribute either way to the bottom line is not clear.

Looking at their balance sheet overall, the GF deal has done a decent job of knocking down debt and their cash burn as slowed. It looks like AMD is pulling out of the nose dive.

If you sum up all the ATI/graphics related income (not chipset) since the the ATI acquistion, the graphics arm of AMD is about even to slightly profitable from that division.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by eleeter View Post
    Listened to the call, some things I took out of it.

• AMD is being very coy on the expected 4th quarter success of the 5000 series. Dirk pretty much refused to show any excitement or optimism. He hinted that supplied may be tight, but did not give more detail except to say supply would be "hand to mouth"
    • 32nm will ship in Q4-2010
    • CPU growth will be higher than GPU growth in Q4-2009. (this is the part that I think a lot of people had trouble believing, given AMD's uncontested status in GPUs for the holidays)

So I think AMD is lowering expectations in GPUs for some reason.
    ASPs on the CPUs are going up but going down for the GPUs.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

I am Xtreme
    So they earned 200M $ more this time, not bad, but not good either...
    If they keep going like this, they'll see profits in the next quarter.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by NaMcO View Post
    They need to make their products appealing. They're not, no matter what.
    They need a new marketing department, something like 3dfx had with the Voodoo range. Just look at these:

[Jeremy Clarkson]Look at me, I'm mean, I'm big, I'm bad, I'm fast, I will eat you alive![/Jeremy Clarkson]

Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Addict
    I find this funny, because they say "only" 128 Million. Do you realize how terrible that is? 128M is a hell of a lot of money considering how profitable ATi appears to be. But AMD is such a bad financial positition... like honestly. They need to start making the CPU division profitable or else the company will be forced to break up. Because AMD is still ridiculously in debt compared to almost everyone else...

Afaik, AMDs GPU department only stands for 1/5 of the companies income.

But 128 million isn't all that bad, alot better then before.
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    Afaik, AMDs GPU department only stands for 1/5 of the companies income.
    Just above your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTM=&t=1

Their graphics division made an operational 8 million dollars, while their computing group made 74 million.
    And holy crap, these are some nasty pictures!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Banned
    [*]32nm will ship in Q4-2010
    I was expecting a surprise from AMD with the 32nm, guess not. Now either we believe Bulldozer will be the first 32nm chip from AMD, meaning it will come out Q4 2010 or not, then only in Q4 2011.

Xtreme Guru
    Something is wrong within a market where there's only two players whose products are equal for 99% of end users, yet the significantly smaller player posts operating loss quarter after quarter, year after year.

Something is quite wrong...
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Addict
    main's amd problem is marketing.

Ati is same:

None.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast