Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMD Reports Third Quarter Results

Xtreme Addict

AMD Reports Third Quarter Results

SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--AMD1 (NYSE:AMD - News) today reported revenue for the third quarter of 2009 of $1.396 billion. Third quarter 2009 revenue increased 18 percent compared to the second quarter of 2009 and decreased 22 percent compared to the third quarter of 2008.

In the third quarter of 2009, AMD reported a net loss attributable to AMD common stockholders of $128 million, or $0.18 per share, which includes a net favorable impact of $54 million, or $0.08 per share, primarily from a $66 million gain from the repurchase of debt as described in the table below2. AMD’s operating loss was $77 million.

In the second quarter of 2009, AMD had revenue of $1.184 billion, a net loss attributable to AMD common stockholders of $330 million and an operating loss of $249 million. In the third quarter of 2008, AMD had revenue from continuing operations of $1.797 billion, a net loss attributable to AMD common stockholders of $134 million and an operating income of $122 million.

In the third quarter of 2009, AMD Product Company reported non-GAAP net income of $2 million and non-GAAP operating income of $47 million. In the second quarter of 2009, AMD Product Company reported a non-GAAP net loss of $244 million and a non-GAAP operating loss of $205 million3.

“Strong demand for our product and platform offerings combined with disciplined execution resulted in AMD Product Company achieving profitability in the third quarter,” said Dirk Meyer, AMD president and CEO. “Growth in microprocessor and graphics unit shipments drove an 18 percent sequential revenue increase, while improved factory utilization rates, higher microprocessor average selling price and an increase in 45nm product shipments resulted in a gross margin improvement from the prior quarter.”

Third quarter 2009 AMD gross margin was 42 percent compared to 37 percent in the prior quarter. Third quarter 2009 AMD Product Company non-GAAP gross margin was 38 percent compared to 27 percent in the prior quarter.

Current Outlook

AMD’s outlook statements are based on current expectations. The following statements are forward looking, and actual results could differ materially depending on market conditions and the factors set forth under the “Cautionary Statement” below.

AMD expects its Product Company revenue to be up modestly for the fourth quarter of 2009.

Additional Highlights

* AMD introduced the ATI Radeon HD 5000 family of graphics processors, the industry’s only graphics chips that support the DirectX11 technology featured in Microsoft’s upcoming Windows 7 operating system. The flagship ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 captured the graphics performance title and has won more than 50 industry awards to date. The new ATI Radeon HD 5000 family of graphics cards also includes ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology, allowing a single graphics card to drive up to six monitors.
    * AMD delivered several new computing platforms in the quarter.
    o For the notebook market, global computer manufacturers including HP, Acer, Toshiba, Asus and MSI announced plans to introduce more than 70 notebooks based on AMD’s latest mainstream and ultrathin platforms.
    o For the server market, AMD began shipping server platforms with the introduction of three new AMD server chipsets.
    o For the commercial client market, HP began selling the Compaq 6005 Pro Business PC based on the new AMD Business Class Desktop Platform.
    o For the embedded market, AMD announced dual- and quad-core platforms for client and high-end commercial embedded solutions.
    * AMD launched VISION Technology from AMD, a differentiated approach to retail merchandising designed to reinforce the value proposition of AMD platforms and simplify the consumer buying experience by highlighting what can be done with a PC rather than what is inside the PC.
    * AMD launched the AMD Fusion Partner Program, a business acceleration program designed to help AMD channel partners gain sales traction and speed the delivery of AMD platforms.
    * AMD joined with GLOBALFOUNDRIES to break ground on Fab 2 in New York, GLOBALFOUNDRIES’ state-of-the-art semiconductor manufacturing facility that AMD expects will provide additional leading-edge manufacturing capacity when the facility enters production, scheduled for 2012.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AMD-Re....html?x=0&.v=1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    And AMD is only a CPU manufactor due to stolen technology and making clones.

Xtreme Addict
    The bleeding is slowing a bit at least.
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Addict
    I find this funny, because they say "only" 128 Million. Do you realize how terrible that is? 128M is a hell of a lot of money considering how profitable ATi appears to be. But AMD is such a bad financial positition... like honestly. They need to start making the CPU division profitable or else the company will be forced to break up. Because AMD is still ridiculously in debt compared to almost everyone else...

oh, and this makes all those statements of nvidia going out of business hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    I find this funny, because they say "only" 128 Million. Do you realize how terrible that is? 128M is a hell of a lot of money considering how profitable ATi appears to be. But AMD is such a bad financial positition... like honestly. They need to start making the CPU division profitable or else the company will be forced to break up. Because AMD is still ridiculously in debt compared to almost everyone else...

oh, and this makes all those statements of nvidia going out of business hilarious.
    This is obviously true but you are about to incur the wrath of the AMDfanboy society. Only losing 128million is good lol.

I am Xtreme
    for those who play WoW

/e attacks %t with the anger of AMDism

Banned
    Step in the right direction. But SOON AMD needs to make something known as profits.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They need to make their products appealing. They're not, no matter what.
    ASUS Sabertooth P67B3· nVidia GTX580 1536MB PhysX · Intel Core i7 2600K 4.5GHz · Corsair TX850W · Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    8GB GSKill Sniper PC3-16000 7-8-7 · OCZ Agility3 SSD 240GB + Intel 320 SSD 160GB + Samsung F3 2TB + WD 640AAKS 640GB · Corsair 650D · DELL U2711 27"

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaMcO View Post
    They need to make their products appealing. They're not, no matter what.
    the products are great for the cost,

i think what they need is something revolutionary. when was the last time they could charge more than 300$ for a desktop chip. before intel's core wasnt it?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They are great for the cost, but that alone doesn't make them appealing. Good solid overall product does, even if it costs that "bit" more.
    ASUS Sabertooth P67B3· nVidia GTX580 1536MB PhysX · Intel Core i7 2600K 4.5GHz · Corsair TX850W · Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    8GB GSKill Sniper PC3-16000 7-8-7 · OCZ Agility3 SSD 240GB + Intel 320 SSD 160GB + Samsung F3 2TB + WD 640AAKS 640GB · Corsair 650D · DELL U2711 27"

Xtreme Addict
    They are great for the cost, but that alone doesn't make them appealing.
    Same can be said of a hooker and why we don't marry them!!
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post
    This is obviously true but you are about to incur the wrath of the AMDfanboy society. Only losing 128million is good lol.
    Trying to start something already? That was only the 4th post of the thread, no need for crap yet
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post

Anyway, it isn't as bad as before...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Cool, maybe they can break even some time in the near future.

Xtreme Member
    The bleedings slowing down, gross margin is up, costs are down, and sales(revenue) is up(down over last year, but up over last quarter), who knows, it looks like they may be returning profitablity soon!

Core 2 Duo(Conroe) was based on the Intel Core Duo(Yonah) which was based on the Pentium M(Banias) which was based on the Pentium III(Coppermine).

Core 2 Duo is a Pentium III on meth.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    And Fusion is 32nm SOI in Q4 2010, BD could come Q1 2011.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post

want to see a lot of money... look at the american debt counter.. or better yet, the unsecured credit swap markets..
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by villa1n View Post
    want to see a lot of money... look at the american debt counter.. or better yet, the unsecured credit swap markets..
    Nonetheless, AMD is one of the companies most likely to go bankrupt.

From how much people say NV is screwed. You would have to think AMD is ten times more screwed, as I don't see them making a profit anytime soon. I can see NV making a product that beats AMD 58xx and capturing its lost marketshare, than AMD pulling a rabbit out of its CPU division that beats intels core ix or intel core2duo in the mobile market.

Bulldozer is crazy far away, and what had AMD done lately to be competitive in the mobile market which they have pretty much forfeited? Turion?

I cannot see AMD making a profit until they make a CPU chip better than Intel.

Which is sadly not for the forseeable future.

People might say low end(under 200 dollar market is where the money is at because of volume), but when your chips cost as much as a high end to produce and you have to sell them at the lower end to be competitive, you won't make money.

AMD won't make a net profit(something that doesn't not include the selling of factories or assets), for the next 2 years atleast.

Xtreme Addict
    They are great for the cost, but that alone doesn't make them appealing. Good solid overall product does, even if it costs that "bit" more.
    True Intel fanboy. AMD products are just as solid as Intel's counter parts.
    Desktop:
    Antec 300
    Foxcon A7AD-S 790GX
    8GB Gskill PC-1066@5/5/5/12
    PII X940 BE @3.6GHZ
    Sunbeam Core Contact
    2x 640GB in Raid 0+1
    4870 512MB@800/1000
    Vista Business 64bit W/ SP1

Xtreme Addict
    Nice, both CPUs and GPUs made money. That hadn't happened in a while.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    AMD won't make a net profit(something that doesn't not include the selling of factories or assets), for the next 2 years atleast.
    AMD will likely make a small profit in Q4-09.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by w0mbat View Post
    And Fusion is 32nm SOI in Q4 2010, BD could come Q1 2011.
    I just listened to the Q3 earnings call audio webcast and both Meyer and Rivet said(wrt to 32nm node ramp-up) that they will be sampling customers in H1 2010 and ramping up and production in H2 2010- fast forward to 23rd minute in the Q&A session. 32nm looks like a rerun of 45nm ramp and product introduction in 2008. This time the first 32nm part will be Fusion part and not an Opteron. Bulldozer looks like Q1 or Q2 2011 and done on the client side,while server parts may come a bit later.
    Last edited by informal; 10-15-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    I just listened to the Q3 earnings call audio webcast
    Got a link for us lazy people?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by eleeter View Post
    Got a link for us lazy people?
    Yep
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....reamId=1371282

You'll need to fill in a small form before you can listen to it.I had to use Iexplorer for it,ff wouldn't play it due to plug-in incompatibility.

Banned
    Thanks.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Oh and they conformed the Fusion is monolithic product at 34:40 in the Q&A ,that's petty significant information(basically a 32nm Deneb with an evergreen derivative on a same die and same process node).This means a bulldozer will be a second design on a new 32nm node,1 or 2 quarters after Fusion is introduced.
    Last edited by informal; 10-15-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast