Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATI Stream SDK V2.0 | OpenCL Full CPU & GPU Support | Introduction

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    After looking at the documentation it seems that I was correct. You shouldn't have to recompile for other architectures because OpenCL enumerates and utilizes resources (GPU/CPU/Cell/Etc) at runtime. A compiled OpenCL Kernel should be able to run on either company's hardware. There is a way to include what they call Native Kernels in your program. They are hardware specific - but they also aren't standard and being able to execute native kernels apparently isn't even a requirement in the standard.
    Brace yourselves. The Kernel is not compiled until just prior to execution (hardware-specific native Kernels seem unlikely in practice since the whole idea is to be hardware independent but the HPC guys might do this) when it is directed to be built/compiled by the application. The compilation step is hardware dependent; if the application is executing on a platform with an x86 processor and an ATI GPU the Kernel will have either path available for compilation, potentially even determined at runtime! So if the GPU is busy, your applications could complile the Kernel for the CPU, execute it, and at a later time, compile it for the GPU, and execute it! You could hold an iner-application race, compiling separate instances for both, one for x86 and one for the GPU, and running them concurrently! I describe some of this in the interview: http://links.amd.com/openinterview
    Last edited by 64NOMIS; 10-13-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontos View Post
    No HD3000 series support?

Why is that? they support Compute Shaders, just like the HD4000 series cards...
    R600 architecture does not support LDS memory.

Xtreme Member
    I can't see why a developer might use opencl to accelerate a program for the CPU and not program directly in a multi core multi thread way.
    This way there is no need to use opencl runtime environment to generate binaries on the fly. I suppose this is a time consuming task.
    There is no word from Intel about opencl support for their cpus. Why?
    Is it because Larrabee as a "cpu", can be programed in a straightforward way to support GPGPU (physx etc) and doesn't really need opencl?
    Intel owns Havok, Nvidia owns cuda Physx and promotes it with game developers, AMD is coming out with opencl.
    Nice standards we have for our PCs.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64NOMIS View Post
    Brace yourselves. The Kernel is not compiled until just prior to execution (hardware-specific native Kernels seem unlikely in practice since the whole idea is to be hardware independent but the HPC guys might do this) when it is directed to be built/compiled by the application. The compilation step is hardware dependent; if the application is executing on a platform with an x86 processor and an ATI GPU the Kernel will have either path available for compilation, potentially even determined at runtime! So if the GPU is busy, your applications could complile the Kernel for the CPU, execute it, and at a later time, compile it for the GPU, and execute it! You could hold an iner-application race, compiling separate instances for both, one for x86 and one for the GPU, and running them concurrently! I describe some of this in the interview: http://links.amd.com/openinterview
    Think if they wrote AI "artificial intelligence" in parallel. Where you could have a program answer its own questions. If you think about life in general it is all reasoning. If you were able to compute enough possible outcomes to a given problem (or moment) and choose the best answer. You would have a form of intelligence. The main function of life is self-preservetion, apply this together and you got yourself a terminator. I dont think its to far off if your using the compute power these days. If you think about it, it isn't to far fetched. You got to think, modern inventions were all just imagination at one time or another.
    Last edited by To(V)bo Co(V)bo; 10-16-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by To(V)bo Co(V)bo View Post
    Think if they wrote AI "artificial intelligence" in parallel. Where you could have a program answer its own questions.You would have a form of intelligence. The main function of life is self-preservetion, apply this together and you got yourself a terminator.

Xtreme Member
    I bet you skynet can run on opencl, using parallel instructions. A terminator could run on as little as 30 tflops. It could crunch the physics of gun trajectory, distances, and time. Finally a real use for physics.
    Last edited by To(V)bo Co(V)bo; 10-15-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Well hopefully if/when "skynet" takes over, it will use x86 architecture. Because then either it will make x86 into the best computer architecture ever, or it will have so much junk we have a good change of defeating it
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Member
    No way possible, a terminator would definately need way more than 4gb of system memory to effectively kill people. I bet they also need Gddr5 bandwith to render complex infra-red video, and not forget last, ray tracing.
    Last edited by To(V)bo Co(V)bo; 10-16-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Banned
    No way possible, a terminator would definately need way more than 4gb of memory to effectively kill people. I bet they also will need Gddr5 bandwith to render complex infra-red video, and not forget last, ray tracing.

Dude, it's widely known that the early terminator models used RAMBUS.

()

Xtreme Member
    Your right forgot about those ones with rambus, they didnt use gddr5 till after the patent infringement lawsuit.

Skynet became self-aware after a new malicious folding at home client was released for the gt300 architecture. The new client was able to give skynet access to thousands of computers, and allowed for true real time physics processing without taking a fps hit.
    Last edited by To(V)bo Co(V)bo; 10-16-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Your right forgot about those ones with rambus, they didnt use gddr5 till after the patent infringement lawsuit.

Skynet became self-aware after a new malicious folding at home client was released for the gt300 architecture. The new client was able to give skynet access to thousands of computers, and allowed for true real time physics processing without taking a fps hit.

So now we know why 12/2012 will be end of the world ....
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Quote Originally Posted by Lightman View Post

So now we know why 12/2012 will be end of the world ....
    Oh come on, we all know the world will end when Fermi is released...

I am Xtreme
    AMD's ATI Stream SDK 2.0 no longer beta!
    AMD has decided to give developers an early Christmas gift by releasing the final version of its ATI Stream Software Development Kit 2.0 which brings OpenCL 1.0 support as well as the hardware acceleration for applications.

The final version of the ATI Stream SDK 2.0 features:

* First production release of ATI Stream SDK with OpenCL™ 1.0 support.
    * New: Support for OpenCL™ ICD (Installable Client Driver).
    * New: Support for atomic functions for 32-bit integers.
    * New: Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2008-integrated ATI Stream Profiler performance analysis tool.
    * Preview: Support for OpenCL™ / OpenGL® interoperability.
    * Preview: Support for OpenCL™ / Microsoft® DirectX® 10 interoperability.
    * Preview: Support for double-precision floating point basic arithmetic in OpenCL™ C kernels.
    * Updated OpenCL™ runtime to conditionally load ATI CAL runtime libraries to allow execution on compatible CPUs without ATI Catalyst™ installed.
    * Updated OpenCL™ runtime to allow simultaneous use of OpenCL™ and ATI CAL APIs in a single user application.
    * Updated cl.hpp from the Khronos OpenCL working group release.
    * Various OpenCL™ compiler and runtime fixes and enhancements

It supports Windows XP, Vista, 7 as well as openSuse 11.0 and Ubuntu 9.04 operating systems and supports all the graphics cards ranging from Radeon HD 4000, HD 5000, Mobility HD 4000 as well as ATI FireStream 9270 and 9250 and FirePro cards.

You can find it here.
    Hm, time to see if there's a performance improvement for benches.
    Last edited by zalbard; 12-22-2009 at 03:39 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    AMD's ATI Stream SDK 2.0 no longer beta!

Hm, time to see if there's a performance improvement for benches.
    it benches the dc benchmark 10-15% faster
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    still doesn't work with dolphin. *sigh*

Xtreme Addict
    ... NOW I wish I had Radeon GPU on my laptop.

Is this compatible with mobile HD3470?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    ... NOW I wish I had Radeon GPU on my laptop.

Is this compatible with mobile HD3470?
    supports all the graphics cards ranging from Radeon HD 4000, HD 5000, Mobility HD 4000 as well as ATI FireStream 9270 and 9250 and FirePro cards
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Addict
    Ah, damn. Thanks.

Guess I'll build a dedicated box for OpenCL stuff then. Easier and cheaper than replacing the current laptop + OS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12