Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Painting my Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fans

Xtreme Member

Painting my Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fans

Hey All,

I've gotten a wealth of info here for my upcoming WC build. Much thanks to everyone who's helped
    I started the first step today by painting my Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans. Here's what I used:

Krylon Fusion Green [no prep, meant for plastic. bonded really well, sets up very quickly for many coats in a short period]
    White masking tape
    Hair Dryer
    Snap ring pliers
    Precision needlenose pliers (no teeth)
    Retractable magnet
    Sharp Knife

I started by warming up the labels on the back for easy removal. I wanted to keep them clean for re-installation. Be careful not to burn the label. Once warm, peel back with sharp knife, pull slowly. This will reveal the snap-ring that needs to be removed:

Snap ring pliers make removing the snap ring a... snap. Fair Warning - if you don't keep a good hold on the snap ring it WILL go flying. This is why I kept the magnet directly above the fan-axle so if it did pop (which two did) it was trapped on the magnet. If you lose these you'll be hard pressed to find another.

The snap ring clips into this small ridge on the end of the axle. You need to spread it out and remove it. Installation is reverse of removal; the snap ring will "click" into the groove, holding the axle in.

Slide the fan out, being careful not to lose & get dirty the two bearings. These both pop right out for safe keeping.

On the fan axle is a spring. Remove this for safe keeping as well. Note the direction the spring is installed for re-installation later.

End result:

Make certain you tape over the back side well. You don't want any paint on the magnet or the axle.

I would highly recommend making MANY LIGHT passes at the fans with the Krylon. I made about 7-10 coats on each side. I went through about 3/4 of the can on just 4 fans. You want the paint as even as possible to avoid throwing the fan out of balance. The paint sets up to "tacky" in about 15 minutes. It can be handled with care at this point. I did a new coat every 15 minutes.
    Have patience with this one!
    Have fun.

Cheers!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for this very useful guide

Awesome, I have 2x Gentle Typhoons, this looks like a fun mod! Great work!
    Intel i7 960 @ 4.2GHz | EVGA X58 SLI | OCZ Z 850W | Prolimatech Mega Shadow HS | 18GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 | 2x MSI GTX570 SLI W/C | Kingston 64GB V+ SSD | CM Stacker 830

I am Xtreme
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Yeah, but honestly, this set of pics and instructions are much cleared than Snipes.

Engineering The Xtreme
    I agree great work My Dissection was really just to practice my photography and show the fan off because at the time I was one of the only members to be using them.

I love the magnet idea, I have bout 3 dead AP-15's and a dead AP-14 at my house in a drawer

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    I love the magnet idea, I have bout 3 dead AP-15's and a dead AP-14 at my house in a drawer
    1 word SNiiPE. . . . . . Mcmaster.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Engineering The Xtreme
    true, true - too bad flow just bout ran me broke haha (in a budgeting sense of the term)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    no need to be snide

yeah my cam sucks in comparison, sniipe. i def need a new one soon. sry didn't mean to try and steal ur shine

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by dullers View Post
    no need to be snide

yeah my cam sucks in comparison, sniipe. i def need a new one soon. sry didn't mean to try and steal ur shine
    Sheesh.

No need to take my post out of context, I was merely pointing out that a similar tutorial was already posted.
    Circles SucQ!

Xtreme Member
    ^_^

Anybody ever figure out where to get replacement snap rings for the Gentle Typhoons (not that I, ummm, would ever, you know, lose any of them )

I've searched McMaster Carr but can't seem to find anything that would work.

Also interested in replacements but in australia. Also does anyone have a closeup of the special pliers? Thanks.

Chasing After Diety
    ok im gonna tell ya guys exactly what i told shazza.

The GT is perfectly balanced.
    When you paint over that, you lose the balance.

Now why is balance so important? Its like your car wheels, when the blades arent balanced they will cause more vibration and unwanted noise.

This is why i usually discourage people from painting the blades on the GT.

If your gonna paint the blades, do a light coat, and from a distance.
    If you kill the balance on the GT, you were better off going with a Yate and painting that.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    ok im gonna tell ya guys exactly what i told shazza.

The GT is perfectly balanced.
    When you paint over that, you lose the balance.

Now why is balance so important? Its like your car wheels, when the blades arent balanced they will cause more vibration and unwanted noise.

This is why i usually discourage people from painting the blades on the GT.

If your gonna paint the blades, do a light coat, and from a distance.
    If you kill the balance on the GT, you were better off going with a Yate and painting that.
    would spraying it while it's rotating help?
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

Xtreme Member
    And if you do paint them, make sure you do it in a good painting environment and with care. I painted 7 GT's and ed up the paintjob on like half of them because I tried doing it in my bathroom . So lol yeah not gonna do that again. Plus one of the started making noise. I didnt find anything that would hit the "wall" so I suppose the balance just got ed up and it is causing the noise like NaeKuh said.

The other 6 fans work just fine though also I screwed the paintjob so that the surface isnt really good. But in the end I just ordered new GT's and not gonna paint them. This time I'll let the looks go (the grey color) and just be happy with the performance.

You can paint them without messing up, but you really have to be careful. And the snap rings are a . I lost one and felt like jumping of a bridge after that .

Spraying while rotating wont probably really help with anything. You just gotta make sure that you spray from far enough and not too thick layers. A few thin layers should be fine. And then they need to dry without any spray dust or so on falling on them. That's where my fans went bad. Since I did it in a small space which wasnt well air-conditioned, the dust fell on the wet paint and caused the result to be bad.

If I ever paint fans again, I dont think I'll spray them. I'll rather ask some professional painter to do it or atleast buy a spraygun and ensure the good environment.
    Last edited by Elpy; 07-14-2010 at 01:22 PM.
    Specs:
    HW: Lian Li PC-A71F | i7 920 | P6T Deluxe | HD5870 | 6GB OCZ Platinum 2000mhz | AX850W | Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 | Intel X25-M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB Caviar Green
    WC: EK-FC5870 | EK Supreme HF | Swiftech MCP655 with EK top | ThermoChill PA120.2 | ThermoChill PA120.3 | EK Multioption 250
    Other: Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans | Aqua Computer Aquaero | Bitspower Comp. Fittings

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did this a while back on a 1U cooler from a socket 603 hooked up to the old p4 on the original 423 socket. Painted the casing dark blue with some silver sparkles and the fan silver, looked great over the solid copper ht. Fan painting is always fun and really can be a great accent in some builds.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroibis View Post
    Did this a while back on a 1U cooler from a socket 603 hooked up to the old p4 on the original 423 socket. Painted the casing dark blue with some silver sparkles and the fan silver, looked great over the solid copper ht. Fan painting is always fun and really can be a great accent in some builds.
    yeah but the thing is no other fan blades have weighted balance on them.

Look at the blades on the GT, you will see tiny weights which balance it.

That is why i dont mind paying the 10+ dollars for GT's over yates.
    You do get the quality in what your paying for.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What if he just does not paint the weights? Or he could just paint it perfectly evenly so the weight ratio is the exact same!

Just kidding....

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroibis View Post
    What if he just does not paint the weights? Or he could just paint it perfectly evenly so the weight ratio is the exact same!

Just kidding....
    LuLz.. while ur at it.. why not take it down to an tire shop and have them throw it on the balance machine.

Xtreme Guru
    LuLz.. while ur at it.. why not take it down to an tire shop and have them throw it on the balance machine.
    I just did, they even threw in the rotation for me.
    Last edited by millertime359; 07-14-2010 at 02:21 PM.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    I just did, the even threw in the rotation for me.
    Free rotation!!! I got ripped off!

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    Free rotation!!! I got ripped off!
    u didnt get your windows cleaned either?

Xtreme Guru
    Did you get the steam cleaning too? They bling now.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Addict
    Wah!!! GOD DAMNIT!!! Last time I am taking my fans to Canadian Tire!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast