Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbitlabs intel vs ocz ssd shootout

Xtreme X.I.P.

Xbitlabs intel vs ocz ssd shootout

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/sto...p_5.html#sect0

nice and detailled test!
    i cant help but wonder about the test platform though... 975x chipset with ich7 southbridge and an E2160? 0_o

and the ocz vertex mac edition constantly outperforms the vanilla vertex? didnt anand say they are the same and only differ in price?

and the conclusion doesnt really... conclude anything
    its a bit vague... interesting review, but without comparing price/perf and having a propper conclusion this review i dont really know what to make out of those numbers...

Banned
    Why do these websites keep using ancient hardware to test new tech with???

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    and the ocz vertex mac edition constantly outperforms the vanilla vertex? didnt anand say they are the same and only differ in price?
    They may be using different firmware. OCZ/Indillinx released new official firmware the other day but I doubt they updated to that before writing this article (as they probably started the article weeks ago).

EDIT: Actually, this article was published a day before the new firmware was released, so yes, they are not using the latest.

Xtreme Addict
    Geez. First it was TR that was using an ICH7 motherboard for their storage tests, and now Xbit is too? You can argue about how little of a difference it makes, but you can easily get an ICH9/10 board for friggin' beer money these days, and these sites should have something better available just from their own reviews. Intel's SB upgrades have been subtle, but they're more than just simple process shrinks, and I can't see many ICH7 owners springing for SSD's.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for that, saaya

Intel Q9650 @500x9MHz/1,3V
    Asus Maximus II Formula @Performance Level=7
    OCZ OCZ2B1200LV4GK 4x2GB @1200MHz/5-5-5-15/1,8V
    OCZ SSD Vertex 3 120Gb
    Seagate RAID0 2x ST1000DM003
    XFX HD7970 3GB @1111MHz
    Thermaltake Xaser VI BWS
    Seasonic Platinum SS-1000XP
    M-Audio Audiophile 192
    LG W2486L
    Liquid Cooling System :
    ThermoChill PA120.3 + Coolgate 4x120
    Swiftech Apogee XT, Swiftech MCW-NBMAX Northbridge
    Watercool HeatKiller GPU-X3 79X0 Ni-Bl + HeatKiller GPU Backplate 79X0
    Laing 12V DDC-1Plus with XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top
    3x Scythe S-FLEX "F", 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoon "15", Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5,25''

Apple MacBook Pro 17` Early 2011:
    CPU: Sandy Bridge Intel Core i7 2720QM
    RAM: Crucial 2x4GB DDR3 1333
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
    HDD: ADATA Nobility NH13 1GB White

interesting the ocz is way closer to the intel, i think that im going to vary happy with the Indilinx drive that ocz should replace my extra degraded core v2 with.

and it looks like they were on different firmwares for the ocz drives or something shady is going on
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor
    how about using an AMD board with SSD.

it's not a sin you know.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    how about using an AMD board with SSD.

it's not a sin you know.
    i do that, its not a good idea for a review though since most people are on intel, but using a 1.8ghz cpu on a 200mhz fsb may be limiting the SB i would have liked to see an 8400 but it may have been sponsored and one group might benefit from less IO bandwidth and a slower cpu (nothing against xbit but they do have intel ads
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
    Why do these websites keep using ancient hardware to test new tech with???
    yeah, its weird... does ich7 support ncq at all? i dont think so right? i emailed them, looking forward to a reply

Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    They may be using different firmware. OCZ/Indillinx released new official firmware the other day but I doubt they updated to that before writing this article (as they probably started the article weeks ago).

EDIT: Actually, this article was published a day before the new firmware was released, so yes, they are not using the latest.
    yeah i guess so... it seems they didnt really have any communication to ocz while doing the review, as im sure ocz would have given them a heads up that theres a new firmware and how to flash it...

i must say im surprised, anand actually went deeper into the tech with his article than xbitlabs... its usually the other way around...

and yes, id love to have seen some amd southbridge numbers as well...
    at least 2 or 3 tests would have been nice... run on different ssds on diferent amd and intel sbs just to see if there is a difference at all and how big it is etc...

Xtreme Member
    So the conclusion is that the X25M is the winner kind of, but not exactly lols. Very long article with a lot of data, though I just ended up skimming over the graphs and jumping to the conclusion.

Xtreme Member
    They really should have tested the OCZ Vertex drives with the new firmware. It comes in 2 flavours, one offers TRIM for single drive users in supported OS'es and the other offers GC (garbage collection) for RAID users or users that stay on a non TRIM friendly OS. Garbage collection is a form of TRIM, done internally, OS independent. You can play with the drive and when it idles for a couple of minutes, it will clean the cells by itself. Works great and it does a good job at keeping the performance up.

Quote Originally Posted by terente0081 View Post
    They really should have tested the OCZ Vertex drives with the new firmware. It comes in 2 flavours, one offers TRIM for single drive users in supported OS'es and the other offers GC (garbage collection) for RAID users or users that stay on a non TRIM friendly OS. Garbage collection is a form of TRIM, done internally, OS independent. You can play with the drive and when it idles for a couple of minutes, it will clean the cells by itself. Works great and it does a good job at keeping the performance up.
    why would u need trim with garbage collection if they do the same and trim is os dependent

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    why would u need trim with garbage collection if they do the same and trim is os dependent
    Good question. Also are you suggesting TRIM does not work on raid?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHughe View Post
    Good question. Also are you suggesting TRIM does not work on raid?
    Trim only works for raid if the drivers for said raid card (or onboard controller) support trim. As far as I've read, no raid manufactures have released raid drivers with support for trim.
    Desktop
    [Asus Rampage III Gene] [i7 920 D0] [12GB OCZ3B2000C9LV6GK] [HIS HD 5970] [SeaSonic X750 Gold ] [Windows 7 (64bit)] [OCZ Vertex 30GB x3 Raid0] [Koolance CPU 360] [XSPC Razer 5970] [TFC 360 rad, D5 w/ Koolance RP-450X2]
    HTPC
    [Origen AE S10V] [MSI H57M-ED65] [ i5-661 w/ Scythe Big Shuriken] [Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB ] [ SeaSonic X650 Gold ] [ OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD ] [ SAMSUNG Spinpoint 640GB 7200 RPM 2.5"][Panasonic UJ-225 Blu-ray Slot Burner] [ Ceton InfiniTV4]

Xtreme X.I.P.
    areca said they are working on it, but... yeah so far nothing...

Xtreme Guru
    OMG they could have tested this on a i486...
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity