Thread: Anyone want to show me the ropes with ln2? I will supply all equipment. SF bay area

The un-extreme XIP

Anyone want to show me the ropes with ln2? I will supply all equipment. SF bay area

I'm in milpitas, CA, essentially San Jose.

I've got 7x i7 motherboards and a 975EE. We're ordering a dragon f1 this week and we have weekly delivery of 4' high containers of ln2 for lab use, with permission granted for access to it . If you want to run benches or whatever, bring a video card (we only have a 3870 for testing). I don't care so much about the overclock, I'm doing this to test the cpu vcore regulation.

I'm doing this for work at work and have not messed with the stuff before, so I don't want to screw anything up. (insulate, mount pot, insulate more, and keep the pot from emptying. seems pretty basic, but maybe there are some tricks or something that I don't know)

Requirements:
    must know your stuff
    must be able to come during normal business times and spend a few hours

Ideally this would take place next week sometime, but we'll work that out. I'm there every day, so whenever is convenient for you.

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I'm sadly on the opposite coast but I can still be of assistance. Busy with school but I can snap a few pictures to show how I insulate and mount my F1EE later in the week. If I can get some LN2 by the end of the week I can also shoot a ~3 minute video that will show pulldown and maintaining temperatures under load. Hit me up on MSN later in the week(~Wednesday) and I should have some free time.

LN2 is so easy it is scary, just pour small quantities and watch the thermometer

Xtreme Member
    Count me in!

School is my only obligation next week... but hell, for something this fun I might be able to reschedule school

As for experience, I've got LN2 in the house right now, and I've benched coldbugged Intel setups before, so I should have all the necessary skills. I honestly think that I'm better at insulating than anyone else out there I've seen... but it takes a while to do a quality job, so you should probably try to get that set up on your own first. It's not too hard to do, check out the "insuluating with eraser" guide here at XS. If you insulate beforehand, I can make a few quick finishing touches to help keep things safe.

I live about 30 miles North of you, in Alameda. I'd really love to come and bench LN2 with you, it sounds like you've got a great setup there.

Mind if I ask what the reason is that your company has for doing this? And what hours are you guys open?

Let me know
    Eli

EDIT: I've also got some supplies that I could bring, such as a propane torch, a vacuum thermos (for pouring LN2 into pot), and funnels
    Last edited by eligray; 10-12-2009 at 11:24 PM.
    e8600: 6261 mhz (LN2)
    e8500: 5830 mhz (dice)

Quote Originally Posted by xaxis View Post
    It's really unfeasible, unpractical, and for all intensive purposes... SHOULD NONE THE LESS BE ATTEMPTED!

The un-extreme XIP
    Intersil wants to do comparative testing against other vendor solutions for cpu regulators under ln2/extreme oc conditions.

We're open from around 8am to 5pm, but my building key works 24/7 . The hours requirement is really only to fill the dewar from the big tank, don't skip your classes.

This thread may be rendered unnecessary from the meetup this weekend.

Have fun guys! Good to see Intersil interested in this kind of testing. Good R&D we can all benefit from. From what I saw and what we needed to do to keep the V regulators from popping chips when benching AMD at -235c, this is needed.

Xtreme Member
    KP: He pushed 392W into the board at 1.7v and 100c. Talk about brutal.

Cirthix, if you'd still like some assistance when using LN2 with all of those boards, I really would be more than happy to help you out with maximizing power draw
    e8600: 6261 mhz (LN2)
    e8500: 5830 mhz (dice)

Quote Originally Posted by xaxis View Post
    It's really unfeasible, unpractical, and for all intensive purposes... SHOULD NONE THE LESS BE ATTEMPTED!

The un-extreme XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by eligray View Post
    KP: He pushed 392W into the board at 1.7v and 100c. Talk about brutal.

Cirthix, if you'd still like some assistance when using LN2 with all of those boards, I really would be more than happy to help you out with maximizing power draw
    I was trying to be brutal hehe. y

ou're not on aim now

Yeah, we can do it next week sometime, whenever you're free.

I was planning on doing the air testing next week and ln2 the following week, but the schedule is completely flexible.